CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

New member with locked ignition problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 04:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clk320
New member with locked ignition problem

Hi I'm new to the forum.
My name's Michelle. I'm 46 and a single mother of a teenage girl, Haleigh.

I have a 98 clk320. One evening after going to the e.r in super fridgid weather. My key fobs not unlocking my doors. So I use the "key which I pull down out of my fob". I unlock the door and put my fob into the ignition .......and......nothing! Steerings locked up. Car is locked in park, the key fob will not even turn. At all!! Has this happened to anyone? Ideas? Pls help me troubleshoot this. I miss my car!! Thanks, michelle
Old 05-06-2019, 07:53 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Received 462 Likes on 348 Posts
Hi and welcome to MBWorld!

I moved your question to the CLK 320 forum, good luck!

Bob
Old 05-20-2019, 12:55 PM

CLK 230 Kompressor Coupe
Hello Michelle; My name is Wil and I live in the Netherlands (Europe) and I think I've got the same problem with my car, a mercedes CLK 230. No unlocking of the doors and the trunk , and no ignition. Steering locked up also. So I hope that there is any solution for our problem, for I got only one key. Greetz Wil / Gudeberg.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 970 Likes on 754 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Either your key's circuit board has failed (bad solder joint, etc) or the EIS (the ignition switch) in the car has failed.

The key fob has both Infra Red (IR) and Radio Frequency (RF) communications with the car. If neither works to unlock the car, I lean towards the two items above. The IR works with the door control unit.

On the key fob is a small LED located just above the "lock button" that is a battery check lamp; if the LED lights up when pressing the lock/unlock button for more than one second that indicates the battery in the key fob is good.

Verify the IR in your key fob by pointing the end of the fob at your cell phone's digital camera and depress the lock/unlock button. If the key fob is functional, you'll see the infra-red LED on the screen of your phone. Be sure to clean the end of the key fob as well.

If the key fob as best as you can tell is good and you do not have a spare key, you're looking at a trip to the dealer as advanced troubleshooting of the digital modules is required. The dealer can verify if you have a failed key fob or a failed EIS module. Pray for the fob as the EIS is a theft-relevant part and much more expensive.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:33 PM

CLK 230 Kompressor Coupe
Thanks bbirdwell. I think that my key fob is ok. The red led works and the IR also. So I think it must be the EIS module. I can not drive anymore, so I want the ignition switch to get out and go with it (and the key fob) to a SMARTKEY doctor in the Netherlands who told me that he can check the switch and maybe repair it. My problem at this moment is how to get the switch out of the dashboard. I was told to remove the upper console first. And I am almost done, but I am still searching the 3 screws on both sides to remove the under dash parts. .Any way thanks for your answer, greetz Wil.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 192 Likes on 172 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio

In order for your car to start, the the drive authorization system (DAS) must be working properly, which is explained in great detail, in the above document.

Unfortunately, diagnosing, trouble shooting and repair of the DAS system is not a DIY endeavor, as it requires specialized knowledge and equipment.

As explained above, the pair of coin cell batteries in your FOB are for the remote control of the central locking system and has absolutely nothing to do with drive authorization.