CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Does this sound correct?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 12:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS 55 AMG
Does this sound correct?

I just had my clk lowered this past weekend. H&R springs, 2/1 springpad setup, and bilstein shocks. I took it to a shop to get alignment. tech said he could not align it with my chrome rims (19"), something about "rim protector". Stated that I should put back stock rims and tires, then he could align it, then I could put back my 19" setup and everything would be good.
Does this sound accurate?
Old 12-07-2004, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 C32 AMG
he may just not be able to align 19" rims with the machinery that he has at his shop. If you align your suspension, then put the 19"s back on everything should be fine.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
13 S550 4Matic
Yeah sounds like he'll scratch the 19's because the machine will grab the rim not the tire like on 17's.

The alignment won't change from 17 to 19, so put your stocks back on..... besides you don't want the wrench monkeys to f-up your 19's do you?
Old 12-07-2004, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by ITSEL33
I just had my clk lowered this past weekend. H&R springs, 2/1 springpad setup, and bilstein shocks. I took it to a shop to get alignment. tech said he could not align it with my chrome rims (19"), something about "rim protector". Stated that I should put back stock rims and tires, then he could align it, then I could put back my 19" setup and everything would be good.
Does this sound accurate?
Im trying to figure out which pad setup to use. CAn you post pics of your 2/1 pad set up?
Old 12-07-2004, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
the alignment for the 19 & 17s will differ, but, only marginal difference since the overall diameter of a 19" whee/tire combo is greater than a stock 17" combo.

additionally, if you've lowered your car and you are trying to get an alignment done to reduce the camber... don't waste your money. the CLK does not have adjustable camber arms.... if you want to fix negative camber, you'll need to buy a camber kit ($7-800), then get it aligned...

If your car isn't tracking to one side or the other, then, just leave good enough alone.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:59 PM

CLS 55 AMG
Alignment

Originally Posted by mmgrad
the alignment for the 19 & 17s will differ, but, only marginal difference since the overall diameter of a 19" whee/tire combo is greater than a stock 17" combo.

additionally, if you've lowered your car and you are trying to get an alignment done to reduce the camber... don't waste your money. the CLK does not have adjustable camber arms.... if you want to fix negative camber, you'll need to buy a camber kit ($7-800), then get it aligned...

If your car isn't tracking to one side or the other, then, just leave good enough alone.
Right now my car is not pulling to one side, the front seems perfect, of course the rears are off. Are you saying even though I just lowered the car, do not get any type of alignment just leave it as it is because the front is not pulling to one side?
Old 12-07-2004, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
05 E55
Let me chime in because I've been through all of this and finally have it all straightened out. I have a 99 430, and here is my story.

I'm lowered on H&R springs and Blistein shocks with 18 inch rims. The rear on the CLK isn't fully adjustable (camber wise) unless you take it to a competent alignment shop..READ: Competent as in set up for race cars and seriously tuned cars.

Since none of those shops are a days drive from me, I opted for the K-Mac rear camber kit. About $300+ on their website or if you get lucky, in the classifieds for cheaper. That did the trick and made my rear wheels track near perfect.

Fronts can be adjusted, but depending on how low you go (I have #1 pads), I needed $10 camber bolts at the dealer. Also, with H&R springs and #1 pads, the front was too low for ANY shop to do, so the removal of the front bumper was necessary so the lasers could meet up.

Now, contrary to what you have heard, anytime you upgrade suspension, change the geometry of the suspension, mount new wheels [b]or[/]tires, you must/should get an alignment if you want even tire wear.

That being said, aligning the car with 17's and then putting 19's back on is almost pointless. Although the overall diameter is supposed remain maintained, it usually never does. It will get you pointed in the right direction, but certain aspects of the full alignment like camber could be slightly off.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Right now my car is not pulling to one side, the front seems perfect, of course the rears are off. Are you saying even though I just lowered the car, do not get any type of alignment just leave it as it is because the front is not pulling to one side?
if your car is not tracking left or right, you really don't need an alignment done... people do alignments on their cars after a suspension change because they want to correct the negative camber created by lowering a car.... but, the CLK's camber is not adjustable to suit those changes....

However, doing an alignment could also fix incorrect caster & feathering, etc...

Just don't expect an alignment to fix your car's negative camber...
Old 12-07-2004, 06:04 PM

13 S550 4Matic
people....lowering a car is to get better handling...negative camber (up to a point) helps the car turn quicker providing a more sporting feel.

I think most of you guys don't have any curvy roads nearby

here in the mountains of WNC we drive to drive not to pimp hahaha

After I lowered my CLK i think the camber was like 1.5 and 1, but I'm not sure I'd have to check the alignment print out to be sure.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:02 PM

CLS 55 AMG
[pics

Originally Posted by NorCalGregclk55
Im trying to figure out which pad setup to use. CAn you post pics of your 2/1 pad set up?
I will take some pics this weekend, now downloading them to here is another story, since I have never done it.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:35 AM

CLS 55 AMG
camber

if your car is not tracking left or right, you really don't need an alignment done... people do alignments on their cars after a suspension change because they want to correct the negative camber created by lowering a car.... but, the CLK's camber is not adjustable to suit those changes....

However, doing an alignment could also fix incorrect caster & feathering, etc...

Just don't expect an alignment to fix your car's negative camber...
does caster and feathering effect tire wear? If not, no need to get alignment.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55
Originally Posted by CiLKY
people....lowering a car is to get better handling...negative camber (up to a point) helps the car turn quicker providing a more sporting feel.

After I lowered my CLK i think the camber was like 1.5 and 1, but I'm not sure I'd have to check the alignment print out to be sure.
Well, then you also know that negative camber not only creates a 'squirrely' and nervous feeling on straight roads, but also accelerates tire wear tremendously. My camber has been off for quite some time and the slight improvement in cornering was welcome, but going through $1000 of tires every 5k miles does not make that slight bennefit of increased handling worth it.

So unless you track your car or AutoX it, negative camber is NOT worth it....unless you have money and time to burn.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:23 AM

13 S550 4Matic
yeah I guess we are different that way....... I love to use up my tires....I'm sure that sounds funny, but if I'm using them for handling then it really doesn't bother me.

To each his own hahaha
Old 12-08-2004, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

does caster and feathering effect tire wear? If not, no need to get alignment.
yes, incorrect caster and other alignment problems all lead to premature tire wear... although, for the most part, if you didn't have the problem before doing your suspension change, you problem won't have it afterwards...

only thing a lowered suspension usually effects is the camber
Old 12-08-2004, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CiLKY

your setup and his setup are a little different... you only changed your springs/shocks... he is doing spring pads also...

I estimate his total drop to be about 1.8" or so, which is quite a bit... My brabus kit & pads lowered my car 2" total, and that gave me about -2.5 degrees of negative camber... no crash/camber bolt in the world can fix that camber...

so, yes, a "little" negative camber can help cornering, but, anything this extreme will just eat away at your inside sidewalls/tread
Old 12-08-2004, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55
My brabus kit & pads lowered my car 2" total, and that gave me about -2.5 degrees of negative camber... no crash/camber bolt in the world can fix that camber...
Perhaps it can. My springs combined with my #1 pads set me almost 2" down as well (no finger gap) but they were able to correct the camber. However, the alignment guy at the dealer said that any lower and they would have had to drill extra holes for the bolts.

I'm not sure what he meant, but he was indicating that it is possible.

Eitherway, you're right on....when you go low, there are always problems. But you gotta pay to play.