CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

My baby's getting a new TRANSMISSION for it's second birthday

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2005 | 11:41 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 CLK 320
Angry My baby's getting a new TRANSMISSION for it's second birthday

This sucks. I love my car so much but I just found out it needs a new transmission. How could this happen? In New Jersey the lemon law is only applicable up to the first 18,000 miles. But a transmission replacement for a car that is just two years old is just WRONG on so many levels.

I suppose I'll have to follow this advice:

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w209/106359-my-service-advisor-says-get-rid-before-warranty-runs-out.html

I'm starting to feel like a hypochondriac

Last edited by STARR; 05-04-2005 at 11:54 PM.
Old 05-05-2005 | 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S550
oh man thats horrible, will it be covered under warranty?? i suspect some foul play in my transmission, what were the symptoms if you dont mind me asking
Old 05-05-2005 | 08:17 PM

W208
My Service Advisor says "get rid of it before the warranty runs out"

That is wrong,If it is under warranty and you love it ,keep it for awhile.then you might trade it before the warranty runs out.Good luck.
Rock On!!!!
Old 05-09-2005 | 03:45 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 CLK 320
Originally Posted by clkcadet
oh man thats horrible, will it be covered under warranty?? i suspect some foul play in my transmission, what were the symptoms if you dont mind me asking
Yes it was covered under warranty. When the car hit 1100 rpms and/or 2300 rpms it would make a loud grinding/rubbing sound. Initially they thought it was my exhaust. The official Mercedes Benz story for the trans replacement is: The coolant lines deteriorated allowing coolant to mix with the trans fluid and contaminated the trans. They tried to replace only the torque converter but the noise was still there. They weren't sure how much damage was done (in other words they couldn't isolate the problem) so they replaced the entire trans.

I asked my service advisor what it would have cost (parts & labor). He pulled up my service report. $7,344 is what Mercedes will pay, but out of pocket for me would have been closer to $10,000.

I wouldn't drive this car around the block without a warranty on it. The Starmark warranty is about $4,000. I guess I've learned the hard way that looks aren't everything. It's what's on the inside that counts and whether or not what's on the inside is covered under warranty.
Old 05-09-2005 | 03:46 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 CLK 320
Originally Posted by Co 55 AMG
That is wrong,If it is under warranty and you love it ,keep it for awhile.then you might trade it before the warranty runs out.Good luck.
Rock On!!!!

I'm not getting rid of it immediately but before I hit 50k miles I'll have to either sell it, trade it or purchase an extended warranty.
Old 05-09-2005 | 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK500/Range Rover HSE/E55 AMG/Bmw 328Xi coupe/BMW 4.8x/Bmw 335i/GS350/Audi S5/E350
Starr,

My car did the same thing..... My tranny was replaced and since then (10k miles later) it runs perfect..... so i wouldn't worry too much... I actually heard that there was a recall on the transmissions... that coolant was leaking into the trasmission.. I wouldn't worry too much ... But the extended warrenty is a must if ur gonna keep the car.... Good luck with everything.. i feel ur pain!
Old 05-10-2005 | 02:22 PM

i took the extended warranty when i bought the car. 100k miles. i forgot the years. it changed my monthly payment like $20+
Old 05-12-2005 | 01:14 AM
Almost a Member!

CLK, ML
Originally Posted by STARR
This sucks. I love my car so much but I just found out it needs a new transmission. How could this happen? In New Jersey the lemon law is only applicable up to the first 18,000 miles. But a transmission replacement for a car that is just two years old is just WRONG on so many levels.

I suppose I'll have to follow this advice:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=106359

I'm starting to feel like a hypochondriac
It seems like that you are not the only one having Transmission problem.
My CLK just got a new transmission for its second birthday too.
I hope the new transmission wont broken until I change the car.
Old 05-12-2005 | 12:15 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 CLK 320
Originally Posted by x-tian-230k
Starr,

My car did the same thing..... My tranny was replaced and since then (10k miles later) it runs perfect..... so i wouldn't worry too much... I actually heard that there was a recall on the transmissions... that coolant was leaking into the trasmission.. I wouldn't worry too much ... But the extended warrenty is a must if ur gonna keep the car.... Good luck with everything.. i feel ur pain!
Thanks for the support. As you can tell I'm feeling a bit sensitive right now.