CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

I *HATE* my salesman - somebody help me make this important decision...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2002, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 CLK500
Angry I *HATE* my salesman - somebody help me make this important decision...

I just called the owner of my dealership and he's giving me nothing but bad news. He told me that contrary to what I've been hearing, I won't have my car until the October allocation - MAYBE even November. I'm so mad right now I could explode.

He did tell me that they have an extra Silver CLK500 in, and I could have it this week. However.. its not exactly how I wanted it. It has everything except the 2-tone seats and aluminum interior. It has K3, K4, COMAND, the works.. but I would have to take a wood interior and get solid-colored seats.

Obviously its a personal preference thing and the decision is up to me, but what do you guys think? I think wood gives it a richer look, and I'd save $1150 on the seats and aluminum... $@#%!!!!!

Last edited by likuidM5; 08-14-2002 at 12:37 PM.
Old 08-14-2002, 12:40 PM

14 'E550
You are obviously going nuts for the car, but at the same time its not what you ordered.......picture yourself driving around in a CLK with solid color seats and wood trim. If you are going to pick up the alternative vehicle, make sure your smiling while in the process. If your not, was it worth saving the $1150 (not that much in the large scheme of things) and getting it a few months earlier. The wood is a richer look, while the aluminum is sportier (what theme are you looking for ?).

Personally, I would pass if it were me....because while that combo is close, its not close enough.

Last edited by Beltfed; 08-14-2002 at 12:43 PM.
Old 08-14-2002, 01:10 PM

WAIT! Don't settle for something you didn't want in the first place. Yes, to have it now would be great, but if it's not what you wanted originally, you won't be completely satisfied with the other model.
Old 08-14-2002, 01:25 PM

'01 CLK 55
Yeah; I remember when I was nineteen.... Impatient as Hell. ( and a friggen spoiled brat at that...) I suggest you wait for exactly what you want. If you feel you're making a major compromise taking delivery of a car that's not configured to your liking, think of how you'd feel if you saw "the one" on the road...I waited over a year for exactly what I wanted and continue to be pleased with my decision of not accepting substitutions that were offered by my dealer. What's an extra couple of months in the scheme of things?? Relax my young friend. Patience is a virtue.
Old 08-14-2002, 01:51 PM

likuidM5,

Did you get ur salesperson in trouble? U should confront your salesperson and see what he has to say. If you are going to order a new car. I would suggest u cancel ur order with him and get another salesman. This type of stuff goes on way too often.

yok
Old 08-14-2002, 02:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK, ML, GL
I have ordered the same car as you and have been told I will probably get it in November. I have no problem waiting. The 2 tone and aluminum suit the car so much better. Plus by then who knows what they will add or correct on the car. Given the same choice, I would wait, without a doubt.
Old 08-14-2002, 02:14 PM

rgiorgio,

Is aluminum trim an option on its own or do you need to order it with something else?

yok
Old 08-14-2002, 02:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I vote for the car w/o the two-tone and aluminum. Just more money you won't get at resale. It has the important functional options and the "regular" interior looks great.

Don't torture yourself. Impulsive here saves you money.
Old 08-14-2002, 02:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK, ML, GL
yokomo

2 tone & aluminum are a package deal. All or nothing. I have the catalog in my hand and no mention of any Design packages. Must be too soon. Just another reason to wait.
Old 08-14-2002, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree, remember resale value, and important key when deciding on certain additions to your car.
Old 08-14-2002, 03:49 PM
Banned

'06 ML500 w/Apperance pkg & '07 SL550 w/AMG pkg
Look at it this way, you waited this long to get your car, what is another 2-3 months going to do? Plus, you have built up this anticipation in your mind, don't blow it by getting inpatient!!!! You will enjoy your car so much more if it is exactly the way you want it!!!
Old 08-14-2002, 03:57 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 CLK500
well, another 2 cents from a new member. And curiousity why you had a problem? This happened to me in my 'youth', and so over the last decade, I've always asked for VIN numbers when my car hit the port. MB gave it to me about 3 weeks ago; no problem. It was categorized as 'priority 1', which is something you might also want to ask about. Then they followed up weekly with updates from the VPC (port), and told me when it was truck-loaded. That is part of why I was very pleased with the local dealer and the salesman in particular (MB Ft. Laud.).

As to 'personal preference', while you should always get what you want, silver isn't a bad color; actually one of the most popular, which is a plus for later on; particularly with charcoal in a solid color. The pix of the aluminum trim are said to be 'sporty' but to many traditional buyers, might seem cheaper than wood trim.

Mine is black/charcoal, and with tinted windows looks just fine

good luck!
Old 08-14-2002, 04:31 PM

2004 Range Rover, 02 S 600, 02 Yukon
Talking Look on the bright side of life

I always try too...lets see, dealer screwed you, make a fuss, get to be number 1 on his CLK 55 list, by all reports that starts to build in nov, first deliveries in dec, only one more month to wait and you get yourself a monster, me personally, i would do that, take delivery jan 1st when luxury tax is supposed to dissapear
Old 08-14-2002, 04:38 PM
Banned

Not too bad of an idea!!!!
Old 08-14-2002, 04:41 PM

2005 SL65
get what you ordered...and get even...

i've had experience with substitutes. they usually weren't satisfying.

only one time did it happen to me with a car, a camaro (i was 19 year-old kid). one letter to the GM chairman and the dealership snapped to attention. the funny part: after all the effort, the car was stolen from the dealership. i really didn't mind, though, because the replacement was a BMW. (remember, i was a kid and didn't know enough to go for the MB.)

so get what you ordered, unless they'll let you return the substitute for a full refund if you don't care for it. fat chance!

and get even, but only if you truly believe you were misled intentionally. take the order to another rep, write to MBUSA CEO, post the letter on the board.

bottom line: these people eat and have shelter because of you. remind them of that, nicely, of course.
Old 08-14-2002, 04:50 PM

'03 CLK500
MY DECISION

Well.. I've made my decision. I got to the dealership, and wouldn't ya know? That "extra" CLK doesn't exist. Pardon my language, but F*CK them. I am so mad at this point I don't know what to do with myself. I did get a chance to see the exact car I want on the lot - 2-tone seats and all. I even got to sit in it. After sitting in it, you guys won't believe it... but I'm switching to charcoal and wood. The 2-tone charcoal/gray was nice, but the patterned aluminum just didn't do it for me. And for $1150 less, I'm a lot more pleased with the interior of the car with wood.

I had a last second thought about changing my Sivler to black, shot over to the other dealership in my area, saw the black, and decided against it. It looks great from every angle but the front. I'm glad I went with Silver, but the fact that I'm still able to change things about my car at this point infuriates me even further. Its obviously not built, which means its not going to be here for AT LEAST a month, and that was if it was being built today.

I'm very, very angry.
Old 08-14-2002, 05:01 PM
Banned

Before you blow a gasket, look at the silver lining. You got to see the interior and are able to modify your car. You could be going to the dealer today to see YOUR CAR and finding out that you don't want the Alumium & 2-tone. I know this doesn't ease the fact that the dealership mislead you, but it looks as if it turn out to be in your best interest!!!!
Old 08-14-2002, 05:04 PM

Porsche Cayenne S, MB E430, & M3
Re: MY DECISION

Originally posted by likuidM5
Well.. I've made my decision. I got to the dealership, and wouldn't ya know? That "extra" CLK doesn't exist. Pardon my language, but F*CK them. I am so mad at this point I don't know what to do with myself. I did get a chance to see the exact car I want on the lot - 2-tone seats and all. I even got to sit in it. After sitting in it, you guys won't believe it... but I'm switching to charcoal and wood. The 2-tone charcoal/gray was nice, but the patterned aluminum just didn't do it for me. And for $1150 less, I'm a lot more pleased with the interior of the car with wood.

I had a last second thought about changing my Sivler to black, shot over to the other dealership in my area, saw the black, and decided against it. It looks great from every angle but the front. I'm glad I went with Silver, but the fact that I'm still able to change things about my car at this point infuriates me even further. Its obviously not built, which means its not going to be here for AT LEAST a month, and that was if it was being built today.

I'm very, very angry.
i understand what you r feeling as I once wanted my car before anybody got it and all the good stuff. But i think in your case you should wait cuz first of all you will not be able to take your car to school, so why not wait and save money for extra couple of months and put down even more down. I think that would be the best thing to do. If really can't wait then you should try to find a dealer that has one available. best of luck man.!

LIL Raja
Old 08-14-2002, 06:11 PM

When buying a new car there are usually some problems that will arise,even when buying cars like Benz's,Roll's or Ferrari's.

I wouldn't be so surprised if the same happens to me with my new E Class but I will just have to accept that problems do arise.

Moral:
With cars it's a case of don't count your chickens before they hatch.

Be patient and hold in there!!
Old 08-14-2002, 06:12 PM
Banned

I couldn't have said it better myself Callaway.... The chicken thing that is!!! LOL
Old 08-14-2002, 07:08 PM

'03 CLK500
UPDATE

I just went BACK to my dealer once again, and here's my new situation...

I could have a CLK500 tomorrow. However, it would be exactly how I wanted it, aside from the fact that the interior is now ASH (light gray). I'm not wild about it, but the dealer also explained how their "allocation" system works:

* I'm #4 on the waiting list. They have not earned my car yet. Next month, in mid-September, they will be sent the next shipment of cars. However, they might only be sent 1 car. If they are only allocated 1 car per month, that means I could have to wait until mid-December for my car.

I have put calls in to other local dealerships, and nobody has been able to do anything for me.

I'm willing to buy it from out-of-state. If anybody knows that their dealership has a loaded CLK500 with a charcoal interior available, *PLEASE* let me know either in this thread or via Private Message.

Thanks guys.. I hope you don't have to put up with this **** as well.
Old 08-14-2002, 07:56 PM

Wink

Cheerup ! LikuidM5
There's always a solution, nothing too difficult to buy a new car.
especially a popular car, CLK.
Adjust you time table to make yourself comfortable and keep the
"real favor" of yours, no negogiation ! though a little more time needed.
Meanwhile you still get chance to look around if any drop-in
chance as your proposal said.
People here are willing to share information, the color you like
is really popular, that's a plus !
Old 08-14-2002, 08:56 PM

2001 CLK430
Have you seen the ash interior on the W209?? IMHO ash is the best looking interior on the silver W208's. I've had 2 silver/black cars back to back before my 430 and the ash interior is a welcome relief from the black. Plus I'ts much cooler in the summer.