CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]
View Poll Results: Comfort
Horrible
10.53%
Decent
15.79%
Good
10.53%
Great
47.37%
Amazing
15.79%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

209 drivers, here are my comments, what about your comments?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2002, 10:53 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 SLK 230/03 CLK 2003
Talking 209 drivers, here are my comments, what about your comments?

I thought it would be great for all new 209 drivers to provide honest feedback on their cars, so here's mine.

Picked up a 320 yesterday. Never drove a 208, but moved into the 209 from a '99 SLK 230 Manual, fully loaded ( an incredibly fun car to drive, especially while cutting off cab drivers in New York City ).

Exterior Aesthetics:
I like the beefier, more aggressive look of the 208, however, the more streamlined, and sleeker look of the 209 is more elegant and less "in-your-face". I consider the 209 to be a totally different car from the 208. Yes, the rear of the car is too much like an Acura, or the up coming Honda Accord, and it isn't as much of a meaty rear like the 208 or SLK. Personally, I have a preference for the bulkier rears of the old E, the SLK, and the 208. However, it seems the trimmed down rear is the new thing for all car makers.

Interior Aesthetics:
I think the interior is distinctively MB (other than the window controls moving to the driver's door - I HATE that!). Some people complain about the Analog clock, I kinda like it. Somewhat of a retrolook.

I can't stand the fact that there is no cup holder for the driver. Come on MB, what were you people thinking????

Another gripe is the lack of securable storage space. The center armrest is tiny and can barely hold more than a few pieces of paper, a box of Altoids, and my cell phone's hands-free kit. Even a Motorola V60 phone won't fit in there.

The glove box is where the CD Changer is. Guess what...You can't lock it! Pretty stupid if you ask me. I don't know about most of you guys, but I like to keep my insurance card, registration, etc someplace where it can be locked.

The center console (w/o Nav) is a little cheezy. The climate controls are at the bottom, right behind the gears. A little annoying when you're trying to change the temperature. I like the temp controls on the SLK better...a little retro but so damn easy to control even at 90mph.

The Drive:
I wish MB would have come out with a 209 in standard. I miss shifting gears and feel a little bored without a clutch. I find these tiptronic-like things to be ridiculous.

The car is a very very comfortable and sturdy ride and for a "luxury coupe", it's pretty sporty, though, I haven't really pushed it hard since it's only a day old. Overall, it drives slightly more sporty than I would have thought.

Comfort:
Across the board, the most comfortable MB I've driven or sat in to date. The seats contour very well and give very good lower back and thigh support. The head rest is a very comfortable as well and useful (not like the useless headrest in the SLK and the wooden boards they called seats in the SLK).

Rear seating is a little cramped, especially if you've got someone tall in the front seat.

Gas:
So far, I've only put about 70 miles on the car. In NYC traffic I'm getting between 14 and 18 mpg. On the highway, I was averaging about 20-22. Today, Saturday, I put about 120 miles on the car and was averaging about 27.2 mpg on the highway.

Overall:

I have a few complaints/annoyances about the 209 (as mentioned above). One of the reasons for giving up the SLK was the fact that after an hour in the car, I was getting serious back aches. The 209 is light years apart in seat comfort. Overall, I'm very happy with the look of the car, the drive, and the comfort.

I look forward to hearing comments from other 209 drivers.

P.S. For the single guys out there, the 209 seems to be more of a babe magnet than I thought it would be (not nearly as much as the SLK though). I had my first confirmed engagement with a hottie walking up to me at a red light and talking to me about the car.

Last edited by mbslick; 08-31-2002 at 03:24 PM.
Old 08-30-2002, 11:26 PM

2003 CLK 320
Like to know what exterior color and the interior color are you happy with that choice. My clk 320 is on order will recieve it in Nov. post a pic
Old 08-30-2002, 11:53 PM
Almost a Member!

99 SLK 230/03 CLK 2003
Originally posted by britton
Like to know what exterior color and the interior color are you happy with that choice. My clk 320 is on order will recieve it in Nov. post a pic
I'm pretty happy with the Silver/Charcoal combo. Nothing new as my SLK was Silver/Charcoal but I found maintaining the look of the Silver exterior to be very easy and the interior charcoal is great because it doesn't get dirty as quickly as interiors such as the Ash or Stone. Unfortunately, my only other choice was White/Stone or White/Ash otherwise I would have wanted to see the Capri Blue/Charcoal mix or the Pewter/Charcoal combo. I like to stay away from light interiors.
Old 08-31-2002, 12:04 AM

2003 CLK 320
Before I ordered I drove a silver 320 with charcoal interior It drove great. I have ordered black opal and the ash interior. I have had silver for the past ten years wanted a change. I hope I made the right choice about the interior color I like the contrast between the black opal and the ash. I dont have kids so I think I can keep it clean. I am a person that keeps a car for a long time hope to have this for awhile. SHARPE CAR LOOKS GREAT!!!!

Last edited by britton; 09-06-2002 at 07:34 PM.
Old 08-31-2002, 12:09 AM
Almost a Member!

99 SLK 230/03 CLK 2003
Originally posted by britton
Before I ordered I drove a silver 320 with charcoal interior It drove great. I picked black opal and the ash interior. I have had silver for the past ten years wanted a change. I hope I made the right choice about the interior color I like the contrast between the black opal and the ash. I dont have kids so I think I can keep it clean. I am a person that keeps a car for a log time hope to have this for awhile. SHARPE CAR LOOKS GREAT!!!!
Thanks Britton. I think Black/Ash will look awesome. I would have considered that combination if it was readily available but I didn't want to wait 3 months and extend my existing lease.
Old 08-31-2002, 11:02 AM

2004 Maserati Coupe
Which dealer

Hey MBSlick, which dealer did you use? Mercedes Manhattan? I have been trying to get a looksee of the new models, and hopefully there will be some on the floor I can look at. The last time I spoke with my salesman they were not in yet, but that was some time ago...

PS: Nice car by the way...
Old 08-31-2002, 03:22 PM
Almost a Member!

99 SLK 230/03 CLK 2003
Re: Which dealer

Originally posted by Ebrigham
Hey MBSlick, which dealer did you use? Mercedes Manhattan? I have been trying to get a looksee of the new models, and hopefully there will be some on the floor I can look at. The last time I spoke with my salesman they were not in yet, but that was some time ago...

PS: Nice car by the way...
Ebrigham, Thanks! I used Helms Brothers in Bayside. Be warned, their parking lot is tiny and it's always a zoo over there. They have a few white CLKs around and they have about 10 new E's. Email me if you want someone specific to talk to.
Old 08-31-2002, 05:32 PM

2004 Maserati Coupe
Thanks MBSlick

Actually, I ran up to the Manhattan showroom earlier today and was finally able to see a silver one in person. It was parked facing me, and frankly, it could've passed for a new SL. It was a standard 320 (w/o the bigger rims and aero skirts), and considering the new design, looked a bit more aggressive than I expected. Certainly not the neutured "feminine" looking car people have been talking about. And what's wrong with feminine anyway? Women look fantastic! OK, I digress.

The back, even though it's the car's weakness, does look better in person too. Frankly, I consider the 208's rearend its weakness too. Both are relatively bland compared to the rest of the car, but far from a deal-killer. So all in all, the new design is a net positive in my opinion. Not that you need my opinion.
Old 09-01-2002, 12:06 AM

I admit it, I hated the new 209 from the pictures I had seen. But the pictures are just bad. When I went on mbusa.com and looked at the 3-D model of it, it really does look beautiful. I think I may still like the 208 better, but the 208 is dead and gone so no use complaining. Anywho, if MB knows whats best for them, they best be makin' a retractable hardtop convertible.
Old 09-01-2002, 01:02 PM
Almost a Member!

99 SLK 230/03 CLK 2003
Re: Thanks MBSlick

Originally posted by Ebrigham
Actually, I ran up to the Manhattan showroom earlier today and was finally able to see a silver one in person. It was parked facing me, and frankly, it could've passed for a new SL. It was a standard 320 (w/o the bigger rims and aero skirts), and considering the new design, looked a bit more aggressive than I expected. Certainly not the neutured "feminine" looking car people have been talking about. And what's wrong with feminine anyway? Women look fantastic! OK, I digress.

The back, even though it's the car's weakness, does look better in person too. Frankly, I consider the 208's rearend its weakness too. Both are relatively bland compared to the rest of the car, but far from a deal-killer. So all in all, the new design is a net positive in my opinion. Not that you need my opinion.
I actually like the rear of the 208. Looks kinda meaty and definitely a distinguishable rear from any other car out there. The 209 really isn't a distinguishable rear. It still does turn a few heads though and it's a pretty nice ride.
Old 09-01-2002, 01:03 PM
Almost a Member!

99 SLK 230/03 CLK 2003
Unhappy

Originally posted by androza
I admit it, I hated the new 209 from the pictures I had seen. But the pictures are just bad. When I went on mbusa.com and looked at the 3-D model of it, it really does look beautiful. I think I may still like the 208 better, but the 208 is dead and gone so no use complaining. Anywho, if MB knows whats best for them, they best be makin' a retractable hardtop convertible.
Oh I'll be so pissed that I didn't wait 6 months if they come out with the retractable hardtop....