CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Need help on CLK 500 value

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 07:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Need help on CLK 500 value

I am on my third CLK, a 2004 CLK 500 Coupe with 20K miles. I am thinking about rotating into a lightly used Porshce 996 until the new CLK come out in a year or two. I have seen a listing of auction values pasted in some previous postings. Would anyone, with access to such info, be nice enough to post recent auction values? Thank you in advance, Michael.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sean's Sister--
private party price is roughly around 35-36 and trade in is around 31-32.....so sell it for around 30-35.....i know the car cost way more when it came out 2 years ago but new benz's are holding there price anymore......
Old 11-03-2006, 09:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 ML350 GAS 4Matic
I just purchased a 2004 CLK500, w/20k miles, Silver/Black for $34,500 from an internet-only dealer in Pennsylvania.

I was looking for months before I found this car - and ended up driving 150 miles to get it. And it seemed to me that there aren't many CLK500's to find. So, while you have a rather unique car to sell, it also has a limited customer base that's interested. My car sat at this particular dealer from July until October, when I purchased it.

Local Mercedes Benz dealers had a few CLK500's but they all certify them and think they can mark up the price by $5,000 or more. The Certification only gives the car 1 additional year of warranty so I asked why they ask such high prices... The answer I got was a lot of bs - "we do a 4 million point inspection, blah, blah, blah". They wanted $39k for a 2003 CLK500 with 26k miles. My 2004 CLK500 is 1 year newer, has as much warranty left, less miles and cost $4,500 less.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Eich
I just purchased a 2004 CLK500, w/20k miles, Silver/Black for $34,500 from an internet-only dealer in Pennsylvania.

I was looking for months before I found this car - and ended up driving 150 miles to get it. And it seemed to me that there aren't many CLK500's to find. So, while you have a rather unique car to sell, it also has a limited customer base that's interested. My car sat at this particular dealer from July until October, when I purchased it.

Local Mercedes Benz dealers had a few CLK500's but they all certify them and think they can mark up the price by $5,000 or more. The Certification only gives the car 1 additional year of warranty so I asked why they ask such high prices... The answer I got was a lot of bs - "we do a 4 million point inspection, blah, blah, blah". They wanted $39k for a 2003 CLK500 with 26k miles. My 2004 CLK500 is 1 year newer, has as much warranty left, less miles and cost $4,500 less.
If it the car from DoneDirect, I considered it too. Forget the MB CPO BS. The car you got was once CPO'd from a Freindly Motor Cars a MB dealer, who couldn't sell it during the winter. I called Friendly Motors and they gave me the service history and the car made very few trips to the dealer outside of scheduled maintenance. Since all service and warranty work was free, this means that it was a very reliable car.

Why should you pay an extra $5K for an extra year of warranty and the priviledge of purchasing it at the dealer. BTW I ended up with an
05 CLK500 Silver/Blk w/ 16K miles.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I was offered only $31,000. Of course I was pretty disappointed how soft prices have gotten.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:24 PM

Sounds about right for dealer trade. You can get more than that if you try to sell privately. If you really want to know the trade-in price for your car used galves.com. It cost a few dollars to sign-up, but it is what dealers (at least on the east coast) use to determine value.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 ML350 GAS 4Matic
Originally Posted by p_mmk
If it the car from DoneDirect, I considered it too. Forget the MB CPO BS. The car you got was once CPO'd from a Freindly Motor Cars a MB dealer, who couldn't sell it during the winter. I called Friendly Motors and they gave me the service history and the car made very few trips to the dealer outside of scheduled maintenance. Since all service and warranty work was free, this means that it was a very reliable car.

Why should you pay an extra $5K for an extra year of warranty and the priviledge of purchasing it at the dealer. BTW I ended up with an
05 CLK500 Silver/Blk w/ 16K miles.
Yes, this car was from Done Direct Motors. How did you know ? Great purchase experience btw.

Interesting - My car was a certified pre-owned once before ? Does that extra year of warrany apply to me? Or only if I had purchased it from Friendly MOtor Cars?

Looking at the FAQ's on the MBUSA web site, it looks like I would get the additional warranty coverage of the CPO program:

http://www.mbusa.com/pre-owned/about/warranty-faqs.do
Can I transfer the Extended Limited Warranty coverage?
If you sell your Certified Pre-Owned Mercedes-Benz to a private party, its new owner can continue the Extended Limited Warranty coverage.

Last edited by Eich; 11-04-2006 at 09:53 PM.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:28 PM

See if you can get a carfax on it Donedirect should have given you one. If my memory serves me correctly it was CPO'd previously. CPO only transfers if you bought it from a MB dealer who re-CPO'd or a private party. It does not transfer if it was purchased from another dealer.

That said, I would call your local dealer or MBUSA and see if you can get it to transfer. I don't know how they would know who you bought it from (unless they have a record of the sale or title changed hands.) They may ask you for a Bill of Sale to prove you purchased it from a private party. But it doesn't hurt to try.

Personally I would try calling and talking to different people to see what info you need to provide them and never disclose you bought it from another dealer. Talk to enough people and someone will give you the answer you want.