CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Bumper Holes Legally Required?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2002, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 CLK500
Angry Bumper Holes Legally Required?!

Alright - here's the newest complication:

I will be picking my car up Friday afternoon. I told my dealer specifically that I *DO NOT* want holes drilled in the front bumper of my car, because I do not intend to keep a liscense plate on the front of my car. My dad told me that the dealership is telling him that it is a requirement in New York state to have the plate in the front of your car, and that they are required to drill holes in my bumper. My dad told them not to do it yet, until we find out what the story is.

Has anybody in New York State been able to pick up their car without a plate in the front, and without holes drilled in their bumper??
Old 09-11-2002, 02:47 PM

2005 SL65
first things first:

tell them to fax you and/or your father the NYS law/directive that requires them to drill. if they can't, then tell them to NOT drill.

assuming they can't produce any such document, hopefully, that will give you some time.

then, go to NYS DMV website for contact info and make the necessary calls. keep your tone restrained, business-like. bureaucrat types generally don't do well with frantic people.

here's the link i think you'll need:

http://www.nysdmv.com/tollfree.htm

if the DMV says drilling is required, then ask for a way to see the document for yourself.

hope it goes your way.
Old 09-11-2002, 03:54 PM

it is NY State Law to have a license plate in the front of your car, however the dealership cannot enfore this law, by you not choosing to have the license plate you are the one breaking this stupid law NOT them, so what do they care, they have no right to do this and my dealer said its fine by him, a lot of his clients don't want the license plate in the front of the car.....hope this helps
Old 09-11-2002, 04:08 PM

2005 SL65
here's the penalty info direct from NYS DMV site:

Question
May I use only one plate instead of two on my NYS registered vehicle? Why does NYS issue two plates instead of just one?

Answer
Under the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law, vehicles for which two plates are issued must display both plates, one on the front and one on the rear of the vehicle.

DMV issues only one plate for vehicles such as trailers, motorcycles, the tractor unit of a tractor trailer, etc.

Law enforcement agencies, including the NYS Police, advocate two plates for better vehicle identification. In addition, since NYS plates are reflectorized for greater visibility, two plates improve vehicle visibility, which supplements traffic safety.

Conviction for failure to use two plates when required by law will result in a fine of $25 to $200, plus a mandatory surcharge of up to $30.

--------------------------

if the car's going to be registered in a single-plate state, then you're OK. otherwise, you may care to perpare to pay fines...
Old 09-11-2002, 04:18 PM

We have the same stupid law in Illinois!
(Not refering to the dealer BS!)

When was the last time the Police tried running your front plate?

I wonder what the logic is behind a front plate? (Sounds punny?)

Our state goverments are short on cash correct? Eliminate the front plate and save half of annual replating costs!!!

What's up with that!!!!
Old 09-11-2002, 11:22 PM

14 'E550
BS.....its not the dealers job to enforce the law, they are not legally responsible. If you drive off the lot and get pulled over immediately outside of the dealer and get a no front plate ticket (you have to pay, the dealer is not at fault).

They shouldn't care one way or the other if you don't want a front plate.......only way they will care is if they drilled the bumper already .
Old 09-12-2002, 12:00 AM

'03 CLK500
After pondering about how to handle the situation the best way.. I came up with an idea. I'm going to tell the dealership that I have a shop that will mount the plate in the front of my car without drilling holes. That way - he can give me the extra plate - thinking that I'm going to have it mounted.

I'm gonna have my dad speak to them tomorrow. You guys think this'll work ?
Old 09-12-2002, 12:17 AM
Almost a Member!

clk 500
several years ago, somebody tried sueing a chevrolet dealer because they did not provide the corvette with a place to afix the front license plate (somebody got a ticket for no front license plate on a vette). therefore, vehicles with no place to afix a plate, are telling you that they have to (to CYA themselves).

i suggest that you tell the dealer that you are willing to sign a waiver, stating that you know two plates are required, and that you plan on afixing the plate in a different manner (other than drilling holes), therefore releasing any liablility they may incur, or may think they incur.

if that doesnt work, goto the dealership with two zip ties. and tell them to use it to afix the plate.

hope this helps.
Old 09-12-2002, 12:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS350
Why not tell your dealer you want a Euro spec plate infront, and order one of those custom Euro plates with the same number as your NY licence plate? Another mbworld member did that in NY also. It would look much better that way.
Old 09-12-2002, 01:08 AM

14 'E550
Originally posted by MARK335
several years ago, somebody tried sueing a chevrolet dealer because they did not provide the corvette with a place to afix the front license plate (somebody got a ticket for no front license plate on a vette)
The person's obviously an idiot for not figuring out the center insert in the front bumper (where it sais Corvette) comes off to reveal a flat surface where a plate can be screwed in.

But the dealer is also wrong for not telling the customer how to install the plate if they choose to put one on at a later date.

Likuid, that idea is fine.....you shouldn't even have to explain yourself. Curious, is your salesperson's initials S.M. by any chance.

Last edited by Beltfed; 09-12-2002 at 01:12 AM.
Old 09-12-2002, 02:04 AM

'03 CLK500
Originally posted by Beltfed
Likuid, that idea is fine.....you shouldn't even have to explain yourself. Curious, is your salesperson's initials S.M. by any chance.
Nope... "M.P."
Old 09-12-2002, 11:00 AM

2008 M6 Vert
I live in NY and I got my car with plates on the back and the other in my front windshield when I collected my car from the dealer after I told him not to put the front one on. He did tell me that two plates were required but that was it. I think your salesman trying to audition for the 'dumber and dumbest' sequel.
Old 09-12-2002, 05:05 PM

SL500
Likuid, in Santa Monica the law states that you must have front and rear plates. Once this law was passed the local dealer started drilling holes in the front bumper. To make a long story short, they now ask the customer before doing so because a number of customers REFUSED THEIR CAR! The dealer was forced to patch the holes or lose the deal.

Tell your dealer no holes, period. It is none of there concern what you do with your car.

Good luck and have fun with your new car!
Old 09-12-2002, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
Plates are made by prisoners.

The more plates, the happier the inmates, - and less car-jackings.

For heaven's sake, - use your front plates and be safe!

You'll make the world a safer place...hmm
Old 09-12-2002, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Used to be a CLK430
In Texas front plates are required as well...and yes they do enforce the stupid law in Houston.

But here's the excuse my brother has used a million times:

"Officer, the bracket that holds my front license plate broke and I have another one on order from Germany."

Works like a champ!! Tell your salesman to shove it!
Old 09-12-2002, 10:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wrong, my 1999 C5 requires the optional licence plate holder (circa $15), which I did not order. Even though Texas requires a front license plate, it varies from dealer to dealer here (Last five cars, Courtesy-no on the 96 C4 and 99 C5, Momentum-yes on the 330Ci, MB North - yes on the CLK 430, Star Motors - no on the CLK 500). Go with the I'm having it put on myself and a release if you need it.

Good Luck!!
Old 09-12-2002, 10:58 PM

'03 CLK500
Well - the latest setback with the car has subsided. My car was picked up from the dealership today. After the dealer telling us that its illegal to sell a car w/out front plates in NY state.. my dad told them that we're going to have the car in Massachusets most of time - where only 1 plate is required. I was going to tell them we had a body shop who could put the plate on without drilling holes, but it didn't get to that. So I'll have my car tomorrow (Friday) at 4:00pm. The wait is over.. and I've got my car exactly how I wanted it, without a front plate. I'm stoked

So nickv, i'll be using your excuse in the event that I get pulled over
Old 09-13-2002, 02:05 AM

Damn you likuidM5! I want that car so bad too hehhe!

Congrats.