CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Exhaust diameter? (Need answer ASAP)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
Question Exhaust diameter? (Need answer ASAP)

How big is the stock CLK500 exhaust pipes? I'm assuming its 2 1/2" but I have to make sure. I'm gonna order one of these badboys http://www.dmhperformance.com/ and I have to know the diameter of the exhaust piping. An answer is greatly appreciated because the quicker I know, the quicker I can order the part, and the quicker I can get this thing installed so I can post up my results. I'm starting to get bored with my stock exhaust again so straight pipes seem like an excellent way to go and this setup looks nice because its only on when I want it. I'm also thinking about getting bumping my N20 to a 100 shot, but I gotta think about it. First, I want to get this thing hooked up.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by ItalianStallion
How big is the stock CLK500 exhaust pipes? I'm assuming its 2 1/2" but I have to make sure. I'm gonna order one of these badboys http://www.dmhperformance.com/ and I have to know the diameter of the exhaust piping. An answer is greatly appreciated because the quicker I know, the quicker I can order the part, and the quicker I can get this thing installed so I can post up my results. I'm starting to get bored with my stock exhaust again so straight pipes seem like an excellent way to go and this setup looks nice because its only on when I want it. I'm also thinking about getting bumping my N20 to a 100 shot, but I gotta think about it. First, I want to get this thing hooked up.

Thanks in advance.
When I was at the exhaust shop a couple weeks ago they said the piping was 3" but Im not 100% sure. How does that thing work exactly?

Jon
Old 01-28-2007, 12:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R35 GT-R, EvoX
I'm so dumb, I just realized I have my old resonator in my room lol. I measured it, and I think the opening is 2 1/2". If you measure if from the outside, it look more like 3" but if you measure the inside diameter it is closer to 2 1/2." So, I ordered the 2 1/2".

I don't know anybody who has this setup so it is kind of an experiment (I am also the first to use NOS on a CLK, that I'm aware of). So, if I got the ***** to try NOS this should be a walk in the park lol.

The part that I ordered is going to be installed right where the old resonator used to be (in between the muffler and the catalytic converter). The piece is shaped like a "y". The long part is a straight pipe that connects right to the stock exhaust. It doesn't do anything. The part that sticks out has a valve on the end that you can open and close using an electric switch from inside your car. You keep the valve closed and you have a normal stock exhaust. You open the valve and its equal to having no muffler. It should make a huge difference considering the old eisenmann exhaust I used to have was significantly louder than the stock muffler. I'm expecting this exhaust to be louder than the eisenmann and even more like a V8 musclecar. I love loud exhausts and a straightpiped V8 is the best sounding noise in the world. Now I can finally get that sound that I love, and when I get back to civilization, with the flip of a switch I can transform it from the Hulk back down to the mild mannered car that it was designed to be lol.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 CLS63
lol. that's sounds like a pretty good mod for those that don't want the loud exhaust all the time. good luck and post some sound pics when it done. I know you miss that eisenmann. lol.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 CLS63
I forgot to ask. how does the stock exhaust sound without the resonator. I'm not particularly interested in something too loud but I want it to sound like a V8 not like a *****. lol. if you have any sound clips of your stock exhaust without the resonator please post a clip. thanks

Jon
Old 01-28-2007, 01:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R35 GT-R, EvoX
It sounds decent I guess lol. Its a bit louder and a little bit more raspy. For the $60 or so, I'd go for it. It still won't sound like a badass V8, but anythings better than the stock sound lol.

I'm really excited about this project, can't wait to unleash the V8! And yes, I miss the Eisenmann with all my heart lol.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 CLS63
Cool, I think ill do it then. Im supposed to take my car in to get a custom dual pipe set up (just probably adding a y pipe to get the dual look since I cant fit another muffler in there without major mods) this weeks so ill just have them take the res. out while theyre at it. Thanks for your help bro and dont forget the clips when you get your new mod.

Jon
Old 01-29-2007, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R35 GT-R, EvoX
No prob.
Vid clips will be my top priority. I got a vid clip of my car back when I had the eisenmann exhaust (with the resonator still on). You can search for it on YouTube. Make sure you post pics and clips of your exhaust too. Take care.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 CLS63
No prob.
Vid clips will be my top priority. I got a vid clip of my car back when I had the eisenmann exhaust (with the resonator still on). You can search for it on YouTube. Make sure you post pics and clips of your exhaust too. Take care.
Yeah I checked out your clip when I was thinking of putting an Eisenmann on but it's too loud for my taste. It does sound good and worth the money however. I will def post some pics when its done and maybe some sound clips but it probably wont sound much diff as you know. Thanks for all the help and take care bro.

Jon
Old 01-29-2007, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R35 GT-R, EvoX
Good news, just spoke to DMH performance. They are shipping it out today, I should have it by Thursday
What I'm gonna do is go to Meineke mufflers on Friday and get it welded on and then from there head over to the customs shop and get the thing wired up. It should be done by Friday night
Old 02-02-2007, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R35 GT-R, EvoX
For those who are interested, I recieved the e-cutout exhaust yesterday. It was in excellent condition and it looks like a quality product. I'm going to have it installed tonight. I'll post the results on a new thread. I'll try and get some video clips up for you guys asap.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R230
I am customizing my exhaust mid-March so I am extremely eager to see the outcome....
Old 02-22-2007, 06:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp

Thanks in advance.
Here's a suggestion. Follow this route for building the exhaust on your CLK. I've made good hp gains with this mod minus the headers on my C55.

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk55-amg-clk63-amg-w208-w209/133638-kleemann-header-review.html