CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Loose steering, power steering weaker (I think)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 10:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
09CLK550Cab 61k miles
Loose steering, power steering weaker (I think)

Currently, my steering is loose. If I am on a straight road, tilted slightly on the right side, my steering needs to be rather to the left. If I switch lanes to the left lane (which is slightly tilted to the left), I need to quickly move the steering wheel about 0.5-1.0 inches before the proper amount of steering is achieved, and not much happens while I am moving the steering. It's like a dead zone. It reminds me of the crappy American cars I've driven with loose sloppy steering. And I am sure it is worse than last summer.

I have checked the power steering level multiple times and it is fine. Power steering also seems to be weaker than I remember too.

My suspicion is this: sometime in DEC or JAN, when it was -5 deg out this winter, I started up and the steering was super stiff (no power assist yet due to cold), and instead of waiting for it to warm up, I just turned the wheel firmly until it moved, but it made some sort of loud click/clunk noise I think (it's been a while).

Any ideas? Steering rack need to be replaced or adjusted? I heard that the W208s had some bolts that needed to be torqued down in the front left tire area, but my car has no such bolts.

What's this going to cost me??
Old 04-14-2009, 09:56 PM

09CLK550Cab 61k miles
bump...doesn't anyone have an idea?
Old 04-14-2009, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts
C63s Cabriolet, BMW M4, Civic
Originally Posted by trikoid
Currently, my steering is loose. If I am on a straight road, tilted slightly on the right side, my steering needs to be rather to the left. If I switch lanes to the left lane (which is slightly tilted to the left), I need to quickly move the steering wheel about 0.5-1.0 inches before the proper amount of steering is achieved, and not much happens while I am moving the steering. It's like a dead zone. It reminds me of the crappy American cars I've driven with loose sloppy steering. And I am sure it is worse than last summer.

I have checked the power steering level multiple times and it is fine. Power steering also seems to be weaker than I remember too.

My suspicion is this: sometime in DEC or JAN, when it was -5 deg out this winter, I started up and the steering was super stiff (no power assist yet due to cold), and instead of waiting for it to warm up, I just turned the wheel firmly until it moved, but it made some sort of loud click/clunk noise I think (it's been a while).

Any ideas? Steering rack need to be replaced or adjusted? I heard that the W208s had some bolts that needed to be torqued down in the front left tire area, but my car has no such bolts.

What's this going to cost me??

My opinion, for sure your toes is out and that's why it tilted slightly to one side. When this happen, your steering wheel will feel weaker. Just get an alignment and your steering will be tighter.

As for the "bolts" you're talking about on the W208, it has the ball circulate style steering and the W209 has the rack opinion steering.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:12 PM

09CLK550Cab 61k miles
I brought it to the dealer and the guy seemed to think that the amount of play in the steering was normal, and that with the number of linkages in the steering, that the play increases with age and that's just the way it goes.

No way! I am 65 mph on the highway, and I get a little dip in the road and I need to quickly turn to take up the slack in the steering. My minivan steers nicer than this!

I'm wondering if this is probably the steering rack, some bushing or what.

Anyone else have loose steering?

It's especially bad with wide tires on the front, like my 245/40R17 (which do fit the front). They follow the road a whole lot, and I can't control the car well. It's very fatiguing!
Old 05-06-2009, 01:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yo Momma
it could be a bushing as well, if you took it to a dealer, didnt they check the front end? Get an alignment as well and see if that fixes a problem.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 CLK 240
Originally Posted by Klinh
As for the "bolts" you're talking about on the W208, it has the ball circulate style steering and the W209 has the rack opinion steering.
LOL.. I think you mean 'rack and pinion'

OP - How many miles on the car?
Old 05-06-2009, 09:37 AM

I drive the racism out of BadDebt. ;)
check your tierod ends...

usually theres play in the steering if the tierod end bushing is toast...

jack up car, reach behind the wheel, and grab the tierod...try to move it up and down, if it does, replace it.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:22 AM

2012 E350 4Matic Wagon
It's especially bad with wide tires on the front, like my 245/40R17 (which do fit the front). They follow the road a whole lot, and I can't control the car well. It's very fatiguing!
I know the Tire Rack told me not to get wider than 225's in the front... has this problem been since you got those wide front tires? Just trying to help, here...
Old 05-06-2009, 10:12 PM

09CLK550Cab 61k miles
The problem is most noticeable on the highway. I think it seems that with the adjustable-assist steering, that there is less pressure or something and thus more give. At a stop, slight wiggling doesn't move the steering wheel much. At 40+, slight wiggling moves the wheel, and not much else.

Currently I have 225s on the front, and I still have play. It was definitely worse on the 245s - the road contours would steer the car and my steering corrections had to quickly work through the slop in the steering to make stability. It wasn't like this last year.

I still think it must stem from the time in January at 5 degrees outside when I turned it hard before it wanted it, and I heard the steering click/clunk loudly.

I'll bet it's some expensive steering rack thing, or some linkage up to the steering column. I''m not thinking it could be tirerods or something like that but I dunno.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:37 AM

I drive the racism out of BadDebt. ;)

I still think it must stem from the time in January at 5 degrees outside when I turned it hard before it wanted it, and I heard the steering click/clunk loudly.

just this alone, lets me believe it is a thrust arm bushing...if it clunks loudly (sounds like deep tone metal on metal)
usually happens on turns, slowing down quickly, and small bumps in the road.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:07 PM

09CLK550Cab 61k miles
Originally Posted by Supafly
just this alone, lets me believe it is a thrust arm bushing...if it clunks loudly (sounds like deep tone metal on metal)
usually happens on turns, slowing down quickly, and small bumps in the road.
It doesn't clunk now, just the one time in the winter. Just the one, big clunk that sounded like maybe I did something expensive to my car.
Old 06-18-2016, 12:33 PM

1999 SLK 230 - 2000 CLK 320
I have had this same issue in my W202, my R170, and my W208. It has something to do with the crappy components related to the recirculating ball steering system. I wish I knew exactly what the issue was, but I don't know yet myself. Going to try control arm bushings soon. But the funny thing, never does this happen to a rack and pinion system. My 2004 VW jetta is far superior regarding the steering.
Old 06-18-2016, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
It doesn't clunk now, just the one time in the winter. Just the one, big clunk that sounded like maybe I did something expensive to my car.
This sounds like my issue with the steering rack going bad. I get a loud deep clunk sometimes when turning at low speeds. Does yours also get firm if you turn one way and then quickly turn it the opposite direction (imagine trying to go around a traffic cone).

Originally Posted by johnny-cat
I have had this same issue in my W202, my R170, and my W208. It has something to do with the crappy components related to the recirculating ball steering system. I wish I knew exactly what the issue was, but I don't know yet myself. Going to try control arm bushings soon. But the funny thing, never does this happen to a rack and pinion system. My 2004 VW jetta is far superior regarding the steering.
I agree. I feel the steering components on these C, CLK, SLK vehicles are very weak.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:15 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
2004 CLK 500
before you start replacing parts take it to a any mechanic and have them look at your suspension . It might just be a bushing . That usually is the culprit . and if you replace any part get an alignment done .
Old 09-12-2018, 05:01 PM

2007 e550, 1978 450sl eurospec
Mine did this literally a month ago. Enough play that I could turn it almost an inch and it felt loose and it was pulling. I took it to my mechanic and for 120 bucks he replaced the entire tie rod and aligned it. It fixed the pull because the bushing had dry rotted from sitting for thirty years, letting massive play and ended up throwing out my alignment. So tires and a tie rod it ran great until today when the power steering screwed up.