CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK 320 - Replacing Intake + Cabin Filters

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 320
Question CLK 320 - Replacing Intake + Cabin Filters

Hi Everyone,

About to replace the Intake + Cabin filters on the wife's '04. And I have a couple of questions...

(And I did search the forum, so apologies if this has been covered previously and I missed it)

Anyway, here they are:

1. Intake Filters - not sure how the housings are attached. I managed to take off the front cover that goes over the oil filler, and I see the intake tubes go into each filter housing, but I can't see how the filter housing comes off to get the the filters. Any help on this one would be greatly appreciated.

2. Cabin Air Filter - I found the one that goes over the battery, up near the firewall. When you take off the housing, you can see the blower motor, and it looks like replacement is a snap. However, I am still NOT clear on there being another "cabin" or air filter inside the car. Can someone clarify this?

Thanks again for any assistance!

Bill
Old 08-20-2009, 12:29 PM

I drive the racism out of BadDebt. ;)
Originally Posted by billyhead1
Hi Everyone,

About to replace the Intake + Cabin filters on the wife's '04. And I have a couple of questions...

(And I did search the forum, so apologies if this has been covered previously and I missed it)

Anyway, here they are:

1. Intake Filters - not sure how the housings are attached. I managed to take off the front cover that goes over the oil filler, and I see the intake tubes go into each filter housing, but I can't see how the filter housing comes off to get the the filters. Any help on this one would be greatly appreciated.

2. Cabin Air Filter - I found the one that goes over the battery, up near the firewall. When you take off the housing, you can see the blower motor, and it looks like replacement is a snap. However, I am still NOT clear on there being another "cabin" or air filter inside the car. Can someone clarify this?

Thanks again for any assistance!

Bill

1. look at the huge airbox, wait for the motor to cool a bit, grab the back of the airbox and pull up...it will unclip and slowly pull up on the sides...theres 5 total i think. It is simple.

2. That is the cabin filter.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
Check this out and follow these steps.

http://www.panchogun.com/FVWebPhotos...-MAF-5x100.jpg

Andy
Old 08-20-2009, 03:06 PM

CLK 320
Thanks...

Thanks, looks like an easy job, now that I know where things are.

And, doing some shopping around - I found Fram air filters for $1.73 each on Amazon! P/N CA 8767. Fram's website has good cross-references on the various mfr part numbers.

Also, they have the Bosch cabin filter (PN 3802) for $7.88!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_oh_product

http://www.amazon.com/Fram-CA8767-Fl...0794808&sr=8-1

I will let you all know how it goes, but it should be smooth sailing!

~ Bill
Old 08-20-2009, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
Why dont you get the K&N filters (Air filters) ?

EDIT:

Those Bosch cabin filters that you listed there I dont think it will fit your car...check it again. These are the one will fit your choices,

http://www.amazon.com/gp/part-finder...7061&carId=002

Andy

Last edited by M-bENZ; 08-20-2009 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Thanks, looks like an easy job, now that I know where things are.

And, doing some shopping around - I found Fram air filters for $1.73 each on Amazon! P/N CA 8767. Fram's website has good cross-references on the various mfr part numbers.

Also, they have the Bosch cabin filter (PN 3802) for $7.88!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_oh_product

http://www.amazon.com/Fram-CA8767-Fl...0794808&sr=8-1

I will let you all know how it goes, but it should be smooth sailing!

~ Bill

For the air filters, you should go with K&N or Green filters....You have a mercedes not a honda, you should definitely not go the cheap way!
Old 08-20-2009, 03:38 PM

CLK 320
I hope the cabin filter will fit - I located it using Bosch's app guide. (see the lengthy URL below)...If it doesn't work it is an $8 mistake.

Regarding K&N, I did consider it, but for $1.73 each for the Fram's, how can you go wrong? K&N at $46.25/side versus $3.50 for a set of 2, means that I can do 13 air filter changes for the cost of ONE K&N.... Plus $3.99 for the Torx bit, of course. BTW, Kragen sells the same Fram p/n for $24.99, so Amazon must be using it as a loss leader. best price I could find for Mann was $32.50/set at Pelican Parts.

I know they're not German OEM, but I sold Porsche parts for years, (this was 20 years ago!) and it never seemed to make a big difference whether we used OEM P-car parts in the pretty boxes, or Mahle, Mann, Fram, etc. I don't think I'd got with Hastings, or one of the low, low end brands, but I feel pretty safe on this one. And it is the wife's car, she doesn't care about the extra HP.

Thanks again!

~ Bill

http://www.boschautoparts.com/RB.NA.AFTERMARKET.BOSCHAUTOPARTS.CMS/templates/VehiclePartFinder/VehiclePartFinderResultsTemplate.aspx?NRMODE=Publi shed&NRNODEGUID={B045EDBE-2735-4740-B308-1FE402C47E2A}&NRORIGINALURL=%2fResources%2fVehicle PartFinder%2fVehiclePartFinderResults.htm%3fYear%3 d2004%26Make%3dMERCEDES-BENZ%26Model%3dCLK320_%26Engine%3dV6%2b3.2%2bGAS&N RCACHEHINT=NoModifyGuest&Engine=V6+3.2+GAS&Model=C LK320_&Year=2004&Make=MERCEDES-BENZ
Old 08-20-2009, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
I hope the cabin filter will fit - I located it using Bosch's app guide. (see the lengthy URL below)...If it doesn't work it is an $8 mistake.

Regarding K&N, I did consider it, but for $1.73 each for the Fram's, how can you go wrong? K&N at $46.25/side versus $3.50 for a set of 2, means that I can do 13 air filter changes for the cost of ONE K&N.... Plus $3.99 for the Torx bit, of course. BTW, Kragen sells the same Fram p/n for $24.99, so Amazon must be using it as a loss leader. best price I could find for Mann was $32.50/set at Pelican Parts.

I know they're not German OEM, but I sold Porsche parts for years, (this was 20 years ago!) and it never seemed to make a big difference whether we used OEM P-car parts in the pretty boxes, or Mahle, Mann, Fram, etc. I don't think I'd got with Hastings, or one of the low, low end brands, but I feel pretty safe on this one. And it is the wife's car, she doesn't care about the extra HP.

Thanks again!

~ Bill
I just dont know what to say now LOL but good luck with ur parts.

Andy
Old 08-20-2009, 04:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
I'm not trying to be an *** but porche is porche and MB is MB. 20 years was a long time ago a lot has change since then. Ultimately it is your choice but you came on this forum for advice and one thing you will notice is cheap does not exist in Mercedes vocabulary.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:23 PM

CLK 320
You're not being an ***, just giving your opinion, which I respect. I am getting good information here, so no worries.

And I fully understand your viewpoint as well - but this is a paper filter! In my 20+ years of working on and messing around with cars (930, e30 M3, various Miatas, BMW '02s and sedans), I think that Fram makes a fine product, close to, or potentially the equal of an OEM part. As long as the dimensions are correct (which I will of course visually check when I do the disassembly) it should be a serviceable replacement. And at $1.73 each, I can swap them out every time the oil is changed!

OE parts have their place (major systems, trim parts, anything to do with safety, etc.) but this is an area where I am going to cut some cost, even if the parts are perhaps a bit lesser than OEM. I've just started a business, and this is an easy way to save a c-note that can cover some of my overhead - plus all of the Internet research has been fun. I'm learning quite a bit about Benzes with this car, and it is good car-hobby stuff.

Best,

Bill
Old 08-21-2009, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK320
There's a reason that Fram is sold at every Kmart, Walmart, Checker, and Autozone in the country. They are cheap junk. You can pay for a quality set of filters now, or thousands later. Seriously.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CLK 350 Coupe
The Mann air filters that MB uses have way more pleats in them and are stabilized with a bead of glue.

I saw a Fram or Purolator and much less pleats and a screen over the outlet side. Less pleats = more restriction and less dirt holding capacity. screen = more restriction.

True the electronics will compensate for the restricitve filter but reall you are just starting out with probably the equivilent of a 50% used Mann filter if you go by restriction.

Filter change intervals are based on age and restriction. Restriction is estimated based on miles. We all know if we are in a dusty area to change more often.

If you shop for a discouned MB (Mann) filter you probably will end up with the same overall value as cheap ones if your time to change them more often is of any value. Just my 2 cents...
Old 08-22-2009, 06:58 AM
Out Of Control!!

04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Originally Posted by ETN550
The Mann air filters that MB uses have way more pleats in them and are stabilized with a bead of glue.

I saw a Fram or Purolator and much less pleats and a screen over the outlet side. Less pleats = more restriction and less dirt holding capacity. screen = more restriction.

True the electronics will compensate for the restricitve filter but reall you are just starting out with probably the equivilent of a 50% used Mann filter if you go by restriction.

Filter change intervals are based on age and restriction. Restriction is estimated based on miles. We all know if we are in a dusty area to change more often.

If you shop for a discouned MB (Mann) filter you probably will end up with the same overall value as cheap ones if your time to change them more often is of any value. Just my 2 cents...

+1
Old 09-01-2009, 07:12 PM

CLK 320
Well, the saga continues... And I know you guys are smiling - the Fram's didn't fit...it is a problem with the online application guide on Fram's site, and they have the shape all wrong. But for $1.73, it was worth a shot. Cost me nothing to learn, just sent them right back to Amazon. I learned how to take the airbox off and take it apart in the meantime, it is a snap!

I ended up getting the Manns and a Micronair cabin filter from Pelican Parts - and now that I have the Mann P/N (C-3698-2), I can get them from Amazon. (No sales tax, free shipping, and the satisfaction of learning more about this car, and the secret glee that I take in keeping a few dollars from California's tax-and-spend machine!) And yes, I am a bit OCD!

I will also post the Micronair P/N and see if I can find a smokin' deal on that somewhere.

Later,

~ Bill

http://www.amazon.com/Mann-Filter-36...1845806&sr=1-1