CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Yes another dual exhaust question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 12:56 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 CLS 550 Launch Edition, 2004 CLK 500, 2004 Honda Civic
Yes another dual exhaust question

I've been reading and reading non stop on converting my single exhaust on my 2004 clk 500 coupe to a dual exhaust...the route I've been thinking about going is getting another oem exhaust, cut the hole, wrap around the spare tire well and bore into the original exhaust...it would look stock and look great...

Ps I'm also gonna get my resonator removed...

Will this work?
Should I just have a fake side on the right or actually still link it to the left like I'm thinking?
Where can I find another oem exhaust?...
What is this plastic piece I keep reading about to get for 160?
And how is the camaro exhaust people have been getting?...

Thanks as always guys...
Old 08-20-2010, 01:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W209, E46 M3 (dead), S54 swapped E46 Touring
C55 SPARE TIRE WELL 20368054429f08

will give you the extra room needed for the rear passenger side exit. i will be doing my exhaust again sometime in the next couple of months. ordering the C55 spare tire well, bs sway bars and still looking for the mufflers i plan to use.

i dont know what sound you are looking for but i wasnt that happy and i've heard the same from other members with the resonator removal. i can kind of tell the difference with high flow cats and removed resonator but i want something a lil deeper.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R8 V10
Old 08-20-2010, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 CLK 320
but when you switch to a c55 spare tire well...wouldnt you need its tire and pump?
Old 08-20-2010, 06:03 PM

CLK350
Originally Posted by Newjd2
I've been reading and reading non stop on converting my single exhaust on my 2004 clk 500 coupe to a dual exhaust...the route I've been thinking about going is getting another oem exhaust, cut the hole, wrap around the spare tire well and bore into the original exhaust...it would look stock and look great...

Will this work?
Should I just have a fake side on the right or actually still link it to the left like I'm thinking?

Thanks as always guys...
The plastic piece for 160 that you're hearing about is a bit that attaches to the bottom of the bumper. Not sure about on the 500, but I assume it's the same as the 350 and it won't work. This piece is on the AMG bumpers, and on newer cars. I think like, 08-09 or newer.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K

Will this work?

Thanks as always guys...
Jones is correct in that another exhaust won't fit on the right side without the spare well/BS sway swap. You have a couple options. Since your removing your resonator you could place a muffler in it's place and run one pipe to each side with 2 tips on the end. You could also do the wrap behind or in front of the spare tire well using a single/dual exhaust. The pic below shows the install with the Magnaflow Camaro exhaust. Check out this thread, there is a lot of part #'s for tips you could use https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...ts-part-s.html

Originally Posted by bheng
but when you switch to a c55 spare tire well...wouldnt you need its tire and pump?
You probably would. I haven't thought that far ahead yet. lol. I'm ordering the C55 well very soon so I will find out.

Originally Posted by Mikevercetti
The plastic piece for 160 that you're hearing about is a bit that attaches to the bottom of the bumper. Not sure about on the 500, but I assume it's the same as the 350 and it won't work. This piece is on the AMG bumpers, and on newer cars. I think like, 08-09 or
newer.
This piece is actually from the 05 CLK55 that came with quad from the factory. It should fit the AMG rear bumpers.

Last edited by dynomite05; 08-20-2010 at 06:34 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:39 PM

CLK350
Originally Posted by dynomite05
Jones is correct in that another exhaust won't fit on the right side without the spare well/BS sway swap. You have a couple options. Since your removing your resonator you could place a muffler in it's place and run one pipe to each side with 2 tips on the end. You could also do the wrap behind or in front of the spare tire well using a single/dual exhaust. The pic below shows the install with the Magnaflow Camaro exhaust. Check out this thread, there is a lot of part #'s for tips you could use https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...ts-part-s.html

You probably would. I haven't thought that far ahead yet. lol. I'm ordering the C55 well very soon so I will find out.

This piece is actually from the 05 CLK55 that came with quad from the factory. It should fit the AMG rear bumpers.

Ah okay. Thanks for clearing that up. Any chance you know the part # for an AMG bumper that could be put on a 350?
Old 08-20-2010, 06:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Any AMG bumper should fit. Mine is from an 05 500. I will post the part #'s when I get home
Old 08-20-2010, 06:59 PM

CLK350
Any AMG bumper should fit. Mine is from an 05 500. I will post the part #'s when I get home
Alright thanks. If the pricing isn't too bad, I might bite the bullet and get that. Was told that the bumper alone would be over 1k though. Not sure how valid that is.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:04 PM

[QUOTE=dynomite05;4213062]Jones is correct in that another exhaust won't fit on the right side without the spare well/BS sway swap. You have a couple options. Since your removing your resonator you could place a muffler in it's place and run one pipe to each side with 2 tips on the end. You could also do the wrap behind or in front of the spare tire well using a single/dual exhaust. The pic below shows the install with the Magnaflow Camaro exhaust. Check out this thread, there is a lot of part #'s for tips you could use https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...ts-part-s.html

that's exactly what i wanted to do which was to get another oem clk 500 exhaust and run the piping around the spare tire well and into the original exhaust....

would this work?
any power loss?
anything parts i'm missing or would need?
where can i get another oem clk 500 exhaust with tip
Old 08-20-2010, 07:06 PM

also anyone in the world have a picture of this "piece"? lol...i can't find it to save my life or really what it does...seems so simple to just cut the bumper and weld on some exhaust hangers...
Old 08-20-2010, 07:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Alright thanks. If the pricing isn't too bad, I might bite the bullet and get that. Was told that the bumper alone would be over 1k though. Not sure how valid that is.
Brand new yes the bumper is expensive. You should be able to find used ones on eBay though. That's what I did. I ended up paying $800 for both front and rear used.

[QUOTE=Newjd2;4213115]

that's exactly what i wanted to do which was to get another oem clk 500 exhaust and run the piping around the spare tire well and into the original exhaust....

would this work?
any power loss?
anything parts i'm missing or would need?
where can i get another oem clk 500 exhaust with tip
You won't be able to do that unless you swap out the spare tire well and the sway bar. Both the well and sway bar are blocking the room you would need to put another muffler. The money your going to spend on an OEM exhaust with a tip is going to be ridiculous. It will be way cheaper to have both mufflers aftermarket.

also anyone in the world have a picture of this "piece"? lol...i can't find it to save my life or really what it does...seems so simple to just cut the bumper and weld on some exhaust hangers...

I posted the pic in my post above. It's the one of the CLK 55. You see the plastic black piece on the rear bumper on top of the tips.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:25 PM
Out Of Control!!

04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
A few bumpers I pulled from a quick eBay search

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-...#ht_1111wt_847

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-05...ht_8870wt_1072

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MERCE...#ht_500wt_1089

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merce...s#ht_500wt_864

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-...#ht_1762wt_847
Old 08-20-2010, 07:26 PM

hmmm...what do you think is the best option then cause replacing the tire well and back sway bars would be hell...

i'll probably go aftermarket considering the success people have been having with the camaro exhaust, but is there any other possible way of running it without replacing the tire well and sway bar?

also, i already have that plastic piece. i didn't know it was just needed for cars without the amg package.

also how's the sale on those springs going cause i'm still looking to buy a set of h&r sport springs...

thanks man...
Old 08-20-2010, 07:30 PM

and i was planning on getting something like this...running extra piping into the current exhaust and call it a day...but how to get past that tire well and sway bar now?...fake exhaust=lame...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/W209-...#ht_500wt_1182
Old 08-20-2010, 07:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
hmmm...what do you think is the best option then cause replacing the tire well and back sway bars would be hell...

i'll probably go aftermarket considering the success people have been having with the camaro exhaust, but is there any other possible way of running it without replacing the tire well and sway bar?

also, i already have that plastic piece. i didn't know it was just needed for cars without the amg package.

also how's the sale on those springs going cause i'm still looking to buy a set of h&r sport springs...

thanks man...
Every AMG car comes with the plastic piece. The difference is that the one posted above already has the cut for the right side. The others only have the left side cut. You have the one with holes on both sides? The H&R springs are still for sale.

and i was planning on getting something like this...running extra piping into the current exhaust and call it a day...but how to get past that tire well and sway bar now?...fake exhaust=lame...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/W209-...#ht_500wt_1182

If you don't replace the spare tire well and the sway bar there is no way to fit 2 mufflers. You would have to put one muffler on the left (stock or aftermarket) and then link to the right with just the tips. Like the pic posted above going around the spare tire well.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:52 PM

i just plan on getting my amg bumper cut by a body shop...but now how do i go about replacing my tire well and replacing the sway bar?...mercedes just couldn't have done it stock for us huh?...

and what we looking at for the springs with shipping and everything?...where you shipping from?...
Old 08-20-2010, 07:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
i just plan on getting my amg bumper cut by a body shop...but now how do i go about replacing my tire well and replacing the sway bar?...mercedes just couldn't have done it stock for us huh?...

and what we looking at for the springs with shipping and everything?...where you shipping from?...
You would have to buy the BS rear sway bar and the spare tire well and have a shop swap them for you. I list all the part #'s you need in the parts sticky. I wish MB did it for us, it would of saved me a lot of work.

I am shipping from NJ. Shipping is around $35. Asking $150 for the springs.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:15 PM

You would have to buy the BS rear sway bar and the spare tire well and have a shop swap them for you. I list all the part #'s you need in the parts sticky. I wish MB did it for us, it would of saved me a lot of work.

I am shipping from NJ. Shipping is around $35. Asking $150 for the springs.
Mercedes wants to make it so hard for us...cause they know we'll do it...haha...how much did everything labor included cost you from resonator delete, secondary cats removed, exhausts, etc.?

And for 185 count me in...if you can get shipping any lower that'd be perfect...
Old 08-20-2010, 09:25 PM
Out Of Control!!

04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
I would have to check on the shipping, what is your zip? Contact H&R and make sure they fit because I believe their website lists a different part number for the 500.

I don't remember exactly how much I paid for the delete, I did a bunch of things at once. I haven't done the exhaust mod yet but it's next on my list. I have the BS sway bar installed and the tips sitting in my garage. I will be ordering the CF diffuser and the spare tire well in a few days. Once I have the well installed I will measure to see what size mufflers fit.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:54 PM

I would have to check on the shipping, what is your zip? Contact H&R and make sure they fit because I believe their website lists a different part number for the 500.

I don't remember exactly how much I paid for the delete, I did a bunch of things at once. I haven't done the exhaust mod yet but it's next on my list. I have the BS sway bar installed and the tips sitting in my garage. I will be ordering the CF diffuser and the spare tire well in a few days. Once I have the well installed I will measure to see what size mufflers fit.
Yeah let me know how everything works out with the swaps and exhaust...my area code is 89123...I hope they fit on mine...don't see why they'd be differnt...
Old 08-20-2010, 09:56 PM

And where in jersey you from?...
Old 08-20-2010, 09:58 PM
Out Of Control!!

04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
I will let you know about shipping in the morning. Make sure they fit cuz shipping them is a PITA.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:59 AM
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 ML-500 , 03 CLK5.5 AMG has left the Garage
Here is what I Know the B/S Anti Sway bar

The B/S anti sway bar is 16 mm ,So you can use your OEM chassis mount rubber bushings. & It will bolt into the chassis mounts , But it will not bolt to the side links. The side arms of the B/S Anti sway bar, are straight with no bends, and are to long, (I've been working on adding in the bends & shorting the B/S anti sawy bar side arms) Please see attached pictures. In the pictures you will see how the bend from the stock bar, loops under the side thrust links. I'm still working on adding in more bend , to the B/S bar. I'm close
Cheers _PTEngineering
Attached Thumbnails Yes another dual exhaust question-dsc00561.jpg   Yes another dual exhaust question-dsc00560.jpg   Yes another dual exhaust question-dsc00562.jpg   Yes another dual exhaust question-dsc00563.jpg   Yes another dual exhaust question-dsc00727.jpg  

Yes another dual exhaust question-dsc00728.jpg  

Last edited by PTE; 08-21-2010 at 09:03 AM.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:10 AM
Out Of Control!!

04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
My front and rear BS sways are installed already. i'm picking up the car on Monday. My mechanic said he had to mod the rear end links a bit. I will take some pics once I get it

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Yes another dual exhaust question