CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

How many are aware of this.... Must read

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 CLK350 -SOLD! 2010 Cadillac SRX Premium Turbo
How many are aware of this.... Must read

Seen this on the "other" forum.

I have an A service scheduled next Monday, and Tuesday is the last day of warranty.

I am going to ask the question about the balance shaft and lawsuit.

http://classactionlawsuitsinthenews....-m273-engines/

Last edited by Mka77; 02-16-2011 at 09:47 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
News to me. Have you been able to find anything more recent?
Old 02-16-2011, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This is an update not much later though.

http://www.topclassactions.com/lawsu...e-class-action
Old 02-16-2011, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts
C63s Cabriolet, BMW M4, Civic
Originally Posted by Mka77
Seen this on the "other" forum.

I have an A service scheduled next Monday, and Tuesday is the last day of warranty.

I am going to ask the question about the balance shaft and lawsuit.

http://classactionlawsuitsinthenews....-m273-engines/

Yeah......a few months ago I post a thread regarding these issue and someone post pics of the damages gears on an engine. You can google it and find alot of info with this problem. So I guess it was not just for the V6 engine only. I can see why it a class actions law suit now. This is the second class action law suit in 10 years. The other one were the 10K miles interval oil change with non-synthetics.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

After reading through some of the articles, it seems to be a very expense repair. $5k - 7k.

I'm at the very least going to mention it next week and make certain that it is document. My Questions and their responses to them.

The engines number ranges for the 272 and 273 are listed in the article. One thing I am going to have them run and check against.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This may be one of the original TSB reports.

s-b-03.30-08i
Old 02-17-2011, 05:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Euro Cars Only
I love my M113
Old 03-18-2011, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 CLK 550
Engine type change - M273

I inadvertently posted this in another model section...duh

There is a notation on the VIN summary which relates to the engine:

Engine
Engine no.: 273967 30 248372
Major assembly variant: A 273 010 60 00
Part var. design. 27396730
5.5 LTR / V 8 MOTOR IM F209
DIESER MOTOR IST NICHT LIEFERBAR.
BITTE DEN BASISMOTOR A 273 010 85 00/80 VERWENDEN.
THIS ENGINE IS NOT AVAILABLE.
PLEASE USE ENGINE BASE A 273 010 85 00/80.

Does this variant A 273 010 85 00/80 mean anything to you technical MB types, please..?

Thanks
Old 03-18-2011, 09:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
That looks like an MB part number, but I can't check it until tomorrow when I get to work.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:38 PM

2008 CLK 550
Originally Posted by dynomite05
That looks like an MB part number, but I can't check it until tomorrow when I get to work.
Thank you.

I was wondering if the change of engine spec was due to the discovery of the defective engine component in earlier motors, that is the subject of a pending class action lawsuit.

My serial number is significantly beyond the serial number cut-off for the "bad" batch....thankfully.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:26 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
15' CLS400
Wow am I glad I found this thread.... I need some help. My check engine light came on the other day and I brought it in for service. The tech told me the error code was from the balance shaft sensor. At first they told me this was going to be a big job and they were about to schedule an appointment to have it done. Two minutes later they came back and said they cleared the errors and it didn't come back. At the same time they referred to the TSB shown above and pointed to the "Fault Code Scenario 1" paragraph where it says the error has to reoccur immediatly after reset.

I'm pretty concerned because my CPO warranty is up in 3 months. I've stomped on the gas a few times over the last two days hoping I could trip the sensor again but it didn't happen. They've documented the error. How concerned should I be?

Thanks !!
Old 04-21-2011, 10:04 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
E 450 4matic cab MY22
I am very concerned

I search this and several other boards looking for comments on this issue. I am surprised at how little it is discussed given the huge number of engines and vehicles that are effected by this problem. Any Mercedes with a 272 or 273 engine up to the cutoff serial number no matter whether it is in a ML, SL, CLK, etc... is effected.

I have a 2007 cab with 65000 miles, that I really like. However, the engine is in the effected range. I am struggling with whether to sell it, trade it, or just wait to the problem occurs and fight for MB to do what they should and pay for much of the repair.

I like the new E350 cab. But I can't see paying $65000 for a car from a company who will not back up their product any better than this.

It is clear that the problem stems from a substandard part installed by MB and not any neglect on the part of owners.

If you have a 350 or 550 engine, I would be concerned, and also ticked off!
Old 04-21-2011, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by TechSuperstar
Wow am I glad I found this thread.... I need some help. My check engine light came on the other day and I brought it in for service. The tech told me the error code was from the balance shaft sensor. At first they told me this was going to be a big job and they were about to schedule an appointment to have it done. Two minutes later they came back and said they cleared the errors and it didn't come back. At the same time they referred to the TSB shown above and pointed to the "Fault Code Scenario 1" paragraph where it says the error has to reoccur immediatly after reset.

I'm pretty concerned because my CPO warranty is up in 3 months. I've stomped on the gas a few times over the last two days hoping I could trip the sensor again but it didn't happen. They've documented the error. How concerned should I be?

Thanks !!
Here's how I handled it with my SA and the service manager at the MB of KC dealership.

My car was in for a service A and just days before my CPO warranty was to expire. I had them both run the serial numbers to make certain it was in the affected range. Which it was. We documented it in the service records. We discussed if it was to fail what course of action would they take in the repairs. Which they said "we" not MB would cover the cost. It was documented and signed by all 3 of us.

I believe it all depends on the dealership and your relationship with them. I have purchased 3 MB's from them. They know me, and I know them, by name.

I have 42k on the clock with no hints of an issue. The failure rates have been very low according to my SA and service manager.

If it is concerning you, do what I did. you never know.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:11 AM

15' CLS400
Thanks for the advice Mike. I've got a pretty good relationship as well. They said they documented it but I like the idea of signing something. I'm going to take that advice.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:10 PM

2008 CLK 550
Originally Posted by Mka77
Here's how I handled it with my SA and the service manager at the MB of KC dealership.

My car was in for a service A and just days before my CPO warranty was to expire. I had them both run the serial numbers to make certain it was in the affected range. Which it was. We documented it in the service records. We discussed if it was to fail what course of action would they take in the repairs. Which they said "we" not MB would cover the cost. It was documented and signed by all 3 of us.

I believe it all depends on the dealership and your relationship with them. I have purchased 3 MB's from them. They know me, and I know them, by name.

I have 42k on the clock with no hints of an issue. The failure rates have been very low according to my SA and service manager.

If it is concerning you, do what I did. you never know.
It is refreshing to learn that your dealer will stand behind you in this, although it raises another important question.

Surely, the resolution of a potentially significant mechanical defect should be available uniformly to all MB customers and not limited to those fortunate enough to enjoy a good relationship with their local dealer.

I understand there could be an element of "you don't ask, you don't get" involved but this should not be a "lottery" depending upon the generosity of your dealer.

My wife was advised, on a separate issue, talking with a new local dealership, that they are privately-owned and not a subsidiary of Mercedes Benz. I do not know if this is generally the case and/or makes any difference if a large claim is looming.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:20 PM

09C63AMG, 03E320
I am not aware of that ! I love my M113 and M112

Just joking with you guys, but i know many friends who already got tru this kind of repair. Stealership charges here like EUR4000 - 5000 for this kind of repair. My friend's Indy can do it for EUR1500. But it is one hell of hard job, since the whole engine has to come out.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:18 AM

15' CLS400
Well.... Check engine light is on once again... So the TSB on this says that the check engine light has to come back on immediately after a reset. This took four days. Man, I've been to the shop so much lately I feel like I work there. Lets hope they just do this under the warranty this time.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:26 AM

2008 CLK 550
Well.... Check engine light is on once again... So the TSB on this says that the check engine light has to come back on immediately after a reset. This took four days. Man, I've been to the shop so much lately I feel like I work there. Lets hope they just do this under the warranty this time.
Just my $0.02 worth....make sure you keep written records.

All conversations should be followed by an immediate confirmation from you, in writing, verifying your understanding of what was discussed.

In fairness to the dealership, they must follow MB policy or risk opening the floodgates of more litigation and bad press.

Good luck
Old 05-02-2011, 01:19 PM

15' CLS400
Update: So here's the deal. In the last 30 days my CLK350 has had the check engine on many times. Once for each of four CAM sensors (2 intake, 2 exhaust) and once for the balance shaft. Two days after the 4th and final CAM sensor was replaced the same sensor reported a fault again. The dealership sent some request to MB asking what to do and now they're replacing the balance shaft. I guess its real good that they're doing this job but I'm wondering if the balance shaft vibration is even the cause of the CAM sensors tripping. Thoughts??

Can't wait to get my car back in two more days!
Old 05-03-2011, 01:47 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
E 450 4matic cab MY22
CAM sensors

I would think that the balance shaft was what caused the cam sensors to send an error code. The cam shafts are out of position due to drive chain slippage thus causing the sensors to send an error code. Depends on the code sent whether the sensor is bad or is just sending an out of range error code.

I am just speculating.

Is the dealer doing this work under warranty?
Old 05-03-2011, 02:36 PM

15' CLS400
Thanks John, they reported the sensors were reporting something like "constant adjustment" or something so it sounds about right. The dealer is doing the work under the CPO warranty. So far I've been real happy with them, just wish I didn't have to take the car in 5 times to figure this out.
.. now I just hope after days of taking the engine out and apart it will run as good as before without the seals leaking or anything.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:51 AM

15' CLS400
Ok... final writeup. After all four cam sensors complaining and one balance shaft complaining the dealership performed the service under the CPO warranty. Let me first start by saying I was able to tell something was wrong during the week that the "check engine" light kept coming on. The engine lost a little bit of power, especially when going up a hill with the RPM's around 2k-3k. In addition the engine was sounding slightly louder than normal.

My dealership took two weeks to do the service but gave me a real good loaner for the two weeks. Since the service was going to take a couple days they just wanted to be sure they had a tech that could do it without getting interrupted with other jobs.

Here's what they did:

1: Disconnected everything from the engine (Electrical, timing chain, transmission, exhaust, AC, oil pan, covers, etc.)
2: Removed the engine from the car
3: Disassembled the engine
4: Replaced balance shaft
5: Put everything back together

Parts:
RS Guide whell
Housing Cove
Antifreeze
two expansion plates
oil pan
four seal rings
four gaskets
O Ring
oil Pump
all four cam sensors
air conditioning coolant

After putting the whole thing back together they performed two oil changes and test drove.

The service sheet does say the balance shaft was found excessively worn.

I'm REAL happy with my dealership!
Old 05-20-2011, 08:57 AM

2008 CLK 550
Ok... final writeup. After all four cam sensors complaining and one balance shaft complaining the dealership performed the service under the CPO warranty. Let me first start by saying I was able to tell something was wrong during the week that the "check engine" light kept coming on. The engine lost a little bit of power, especially when going up a hill with the RPM's around 2k-3k. In addition the engine was sounding slightly louder than normal.

My dealership took two weeks to do the service but gave me a real good loaner for the two weeks. Since the service was going to take a couple days they just wanted to be sure they had a tech that could do it without getting interrupted with other jobs.

Here's what they did:

1: Disconnected everything from the engine (Electrical, timing chain, transmission, exhaust, AC, oil pan, covers, etc.)
2: Removed the engine from the car
3: Disassembled the engine
4: Replaced balance shaft
5: Put everything back together

Parts:
RS Guide whell
Housing Cove
Antifreeze
two expansion plates
oil pan
four seal rings
four gaskets
O Ring
oil Pump
all four cam sensors
air conditioning coolant

After putting the whole thing back together they performed two oil changes and test drove.

The service sheet does say the balance shaft was found excessively worn.

I'm REAL happy with my dealership!
Good news....

By the way, did they identify the root cause of the failure..?
Old 05-20-2011, 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It is always encouraging to hear of successes, instead of fail. Glad to hear it all worked out.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:11 AM

15' CLS400
Originally Posted by Nanoflex
Good news....

By the way, did they identify the root cause of the failure..?
Root cause is what this thread is about. A balance shaft gear made of inferior material. It should never wear out if the car is properly maintained.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How many are aware of this.... Must read