CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

TSB's/Notices for w209

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2003, 06:36 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 251 Likes on 182 Posts
Exclamation TSB's/Notices for w209

According to my dealer Mercedes of Ft Laud:

1) Motor mounts

2) Wipers

3) Pulling to right

4) AC odor

5) Clocks not keeping proper time

6) Poor intermediate power

7) Sulfur smell from exhaust gases

8) Brake pads and rotor redesign

9) AM radio reception- AM splitter

10) Window regulators

My CLK500 with 2400 miles suffers from all the above and is currently at the dealer for the fixes. On one hand it's nice to know MBZ is aware of all the problems and knows of the fixes, but on the other Jeez that's alot of stuff for a brand new car especially one that was built in Jan 03 after half a year of production! My car suffered from one other problem that is not covered in a TSB, the engine cooling fan needs replacement.

I had a 99 CLK 430 which was also a first year production car and it had one or two issues only. According to the senior service persnl. some of the parts for the items mentioned above are/have been on National back order due to so many cars being affected.

For those of you with none of the above problems you are very fortunate, keep your fingers crossed

I still like my car and can't wait to get it back...it just sux that it's in for so much so soon. My service adv said many people are not aware their cars even have some of the problems noted in the TSB's as they are oblivious to the issues or just live with them.

I'm hoping to get my car back Tues of next week but I have to go back again for the engine cooling fan which had to come from the "Fatherland"
Old 05-10-2003, 07:10 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 C32 AMG
Since I did buy my car on the 2003 production date, I really was ready for anything. Buying a first year model change is really tuff because of all the first (and sometimes second) year bugs. So far, my car has been great with no real problems. I hope everyone else who buys a new CLK can experience the same. If not, the great MB customer service is always there for us.

Sean
Old 05-10-2003, 11:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thank you RJC for the dilligence! You wouldn't happen to have TSB #s for some of those would you? I definately am experiencing the poor mid level acceleration and the sulfer smell (didn't realize there was a TSB out). Thanks again!
Old 05-11-2003, 11:40 AM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

PB 07.00/28a is for lack of performance this is a flash update for the engine computer...the sulfur smell (lean burn condition) may also be corrected by this, I'll know more on Mon or Tues.
Old 05-12-2003, 11:06 AM
Almost a Member!

2000 SLK, 2003 CLK
TSB Question

Concerning the motor mounts, how do you know if there is a problem? What is the problem with the window regulators? Since there are TSB's for these known problems, if you take your car in for service does Mercedes automatically fix these items or do you have to complain about them in order for them to be repaired? My car has only 56 miles on it and the only thing I have noticed so far is the am reception. What's with the brake pads, should they be replaced now or wait till they wear down? Thanks for any info you can give and if you get the other TSB numbers, please post them.
Old 05-12-2003, 09:20 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: TSB Question

Originally posted by opusnron
Concerning the motor mounts, how do you know if there is a problem? What is the problem with the window regulators? Since there are TSB's for these known problems, if you take your car in for service does Mercedes automatically fix these items or do you have to complain about them in order for them to be repaired? My car has only 56 miles on it and the only thing I have noticed so far is the am reception. What's with the brake pads, should they be replaced now or wait till they wear down? Thanks for any info you can give and if you get the other TSB numbers, please post them.
For the motor mounts you'll notice the engine ticking on moderdate acceleration, I seem to remember it being more noticeable when cold.

After 2400 miles my drivers window began getting loose when closing the door while sitting inside the car it flapped against the side rear window seal. I compared the sound of the passenger window when closing the door which was fine. (Windows fully closed) They ordered a rail and regulator.

The AM reception is reportedly due to the AM splitter

Also at around 2400 miles I noticed the steering wheel had a slight shimmy @ 40 mph when applying the brakes upon deaccleration from higher speeds. The ran a micrometer over the rotors and said the brakes developed a "lip" and the rotors were glazed. MBZ has a newly designed rotor, they changed all 4 and all pads. I did not expect a problem with the brakes as they've been out for a while

The dealer may or may not automatically check your car for TSB problems...I doubt most do.

After time if your car develpos the AC odor problem you'll begin noticing a musty smell when it's first turned on...the cure is a newly designed filter, a spray applied into the evaporator and the placing the evaporator pan at a new angle allowing the condensation to drain better or a new blower motor and pan (there together so I'm told)

Hopefully they got the wipers straightened out by now if not it will require new blades and a re-angling of the wiper arm.

If you start noticing a sulfur like smell when coming to a stop or pulling into your garage then there is a known lean running condition, there is a CD flash update for the cars computer. This may also improve mid level acceleration.

Do you have command? If not and your clock begins to lose time then there is supposed to be a CD fix for this due out now.

If you notice your car is pulling to the right it's the alignment, have them be careful not to scratch your rims!

A lot of first year stuff, my car was a Jan production hopefully yours had most of the updates done The shop foreman should be able to check your production date against most of the TSBs but sometimes they cannot verify this way. Best of luck and let me know if I can help further. You can also perform a search on this site under engine ticking sounds and under motor mounts for more observations to help you discern the sound from normal.

Last edited by RJC; 05-12-2003 at 09:36 PM.
Old 05-12-2003, 11:32 PM
Almost a Member!

2000 SLK, 2003 CLK
Thanks for all the info, I assume my car was probably a February production as it was delivered first part of April. I would think the VIN would tell you when the car was produced but would need to know how to decipher the VIN. Mine does have command so hopefully at least I won't have the clock problem. I ordered the wood/leather steering wheel and am still waiting for that to arrive along with the command manual (you would think the manual would come with the car)
Old 05-13-2003, 06:03 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

U R welcome. You can find the production date inside your door jam on a sticker about the size of a credit card.

My dealer informed me today that they expect the new CDs to down load the info to my cars computer early next week, this should take car of the clock, sulfur smell/poor midrange perf etc. Other dealers either have the CD's or should get them soon.

The AM splitters are on back order.

Last edited by RJC; 05-13-2003 at 06:08 PM.
Old 05-16-2003, 12:38 PM

Volvo S80
I will be testing a new CLk 270CDI tomorrow and have taken note of your comments, however I can only take delivery in September if I decide to go ahead with the CLK. My first choice was and still is the new E-class Avantgarde, however all the family have moved on and it is only the wife and myself therefore a E class may be too large. We seldom carry passengers in the rear and I believe the CLK has the room for two adults. The CLK does not come eqipped with Xenon headlights or active headlight system which is offered as an option in the E class. Hope I enjoy my brief spin in the CLK.
Old 05-16-2003, 07:40 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Why no Xenon's as an option?
Old 05-17-2003, 04:09 AM

Volvo S80
Xenon is an option, however the active headlight system is not.
Old 05-17-2003, 04:23 AM

Volvo S80
Xenon is an option, however the active headlight system is not.
Old 05-18-2003, 04:03 AM

Volvo S80
I took the CLK 270 CDI along all the roads that I am familar with and use almost on a daily basis. Although the car handles very well and the performance is great, actually breathtaking, I was very disappointed in the comfort area. I found the seats uncomfortable and after sitting in them for about two hours my thighs started to ache. The UK roads are notorius for traffic jams and sometimes a simple 20 mile journey can take you hours and if you are stuck you want to be comfortable.
Another thing I noticed was I had to hang onto the steering wheel to stop the car from drifting to the left. Considering it was a demo car one would have though that they would have made sure the car was in top notch condition. However, I will not be purchasing a CLK as a result of the uncomfortable seats. I will stick to my original decision and purchase the E instead.
Old 06-04-2003, 05:09 PM

04 C 320/03 CLK 500
Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the notice. I spoke with my dealer and they said they have not heard of any and if there was any I would get something in the mail. I am having all the same problems. When I get on it really hard the light comes on by the left turning signal the one with the (!). Does anyone elses do that?
Old 06-05-2003, 01:31 AM
Almost a Member!

clk500
same thing

Mine does the same thing. Even when I'm driving normal the
(!) sometimes comes on too.
Old 06-05-2003, 07:27 AM

04 C 320/03 CLK 500
Does anyone know why that does that?
Old 06-05-2003, 07:44 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Have you guys ever checked your owners manual? The light is for ESP electronic stability program, if you get a little wheel spin or take a corner too hard this will set the light off, or it will stay on all the time if you have deactivated the ESP via ESP off switch on the center stack. If none of the above apply there could be a low voltage problem etc...check the manual it has lots of info on ESP. Hope this helps.

Last edited by RJC; 06-05-2003 at 07:47 PM.
Old 06-05-2003, 07:50 PM

04 C 320/03 CLK 500
Thanks, I was lazy and read the quick tip book vice the whole manual. Back to my other question now, does anyone know where I can get ahold of the notice so I can show my dealer?
Old 06-05-2003, 08:13 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

I could not tell exactly which item you need the tsb for?
Old 06-06-2003, 08:53 PM

04 C 320/03 CLK 500
All. the hp sucks, wiper sucks, I havent turn on the AC yet, but if there is a notice out for anything I would like it so I can get it fixed.
Old 06-06-2003, 10:50 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

I know...I feel your pain. My car has now had the following things repaired at 2800 miles, the TSB items I've marked

Pull to right TSB

Motor Mounts TSB

Wipers TSB (still suck)

A/C smell TSB - evaporator drain pan , new filter and special coating applied.

Slow Clock TSB - requires instrument cluster replacement

Steering wheel shimmy when applying brakes @40 mph TSB - requies all new pads and rotors, new design

Sulfur smell from exhasut gas TSB - reprogram main engine computer

Poor midrange performance not including kick down TSB - main computer reprogram

Drivers window making noise when closing door when inside car - new window regulator

Engine cooling fan vibration at super high speed - new cooling fan

Engine stumbles and almost stalled, happened since main engine reprogram, car in service AGAIN for this.

Hard down shift into first when coming to stop, also sice main engine reprogram

Poor AM radio sound quality TSB - requires new AM splitter and antenna combo...did nothing to improve sound, back in service AGAIN for this

Noise coming from drivers side of engine - Power steering pump valve gone bad or so they say, in service now for this too.

This has not been the best of experiences...there is a very good reason MBZ is ranked 15 th in the JD power survey!!! I used to really love this car (for the first few weeks)
Old 06-06-2003, 11:41 PM
Almost a Member!

'02 BMW M3 convertible
This is Soooo Scarey...

I've never owned MB before, and am ready to order a CLK55 Cab, BUT this is getting a bit frightening. I have owned BMWs for 15 years and Porsches for about the same, and NEVER had but the most minor problems, which were quickly fixed -- maybe 2-3 in all those years.
Is there something I should know about current MB quality ? ?
Old 06-07-2003, 12:06 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Unfortunately MB quality has steadily gone down hill, they currently rate 15th!! in the latest JD Power survey(chevy is ahead of MB!) and have been on a steady decline over the years. If you're the type of person that is obliviuos to minor/moderate problems then maybe it won't be so bad, but I do want to pay $60,000+ for a car and have more or the same issues as a lesser marque. My 209 500 was a first year production car BUT it was a late JAn build and been out in the US since July of the previous year and out in Europe even before that. There is a new post under wiper problems that a new delivery 2 days ago still does not have the wipers right when a TSB has been out for many months. THe service director of a local MB dealership told me "off the record" that it took 2 full model years for the new S class to be sorted out!! Maybe you'll be lucky and get a good car , some people here seem to have or hopefully the early 04's will be better. This just may be my last MB until the ratings get back into the top 5.

Last edited by RJC; 06-07-2003 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-05-2003, 10:19 AM

Slk 230 & CLK500
Re: TSB Question

Originally posted by opusnron
My 03 CLK 500 has 700 miles, it has now been in twice for check engine light. Car was missing & vibrating heavily with the light on. First time they changed a coil but then the misfire spread to other cyllinders & changed the crank sensor, now they are changing all coils & wires & found the codes to be at partial or 1/2 throttle. While there I asked about checking my motor mounts vin range & mine qualifies but they will not replace them till a problem is found. They are keeping the car for the weekend because of the rains they cannot do the test drive to see if it shows again. If I have to bring it back again the third time I am thinking of filing lemon law here in florida, as the dealer is 100 miles roundtrip from me.
Old 09-05-2003, 11:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 CLK55AMG
Guess I got off easy...

My car is a 03/03 build. Only priblem I had was lack of AM radio recption. Took a week to get the parts but this radio now works as well as my E320.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: TSB's/Notices for w209