CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Project Dynavin - audio installation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 06:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C200K Jul 2004
I just did an install of a similar product WS-8802 (looks the same) and the fit is pretty good so it would pass quite easily for an original factory HU. The software however is pretty bugy and the CAN BUS display on the instrument panel is a bit unstable e.g takes a bit of time to switch to the correct display when switching modes and when I use the up and down navigation buttons to get digital speedo or coolant temperature or any other function the system does not disconnect the BUS and music tracks change.

None of these issues matter too much to me as much as the brightness level of the units display. I would be good if it could dim automatically when the headlights go on.

It'll be interesting to see how it compares with the Dynavin model coz looks are spot on but price is only $520USD.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:49 AM

2004 C240 4Matic
Also curious how the install is going. How well does it work, any problems with it?
Old 08-28-2011, 11:44 AM

W209 CLK 500
Done

Old 08-28-2011, 12:20 PM

2004 C240 4Matic
Looks great, how does it work, does the steering wheel controls work well, Did you car have telephone mic pre-wired? If so does it use that or do you need to use the one that comes with it? Any issues with it? I just got the Argos and Hurley's Auto in McLean, VA p*ssed me off so much I just want to get rid of it.

Last edited by jtalbert; 08-29-2011 at 04:10 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:16 PM

W209 CLK 500
Originally Posted by jtalbert
Looks great, how does it work, does the steering wheel controls work well, Did you car have telephone mic pre-wired? If so does it use that or do you need to use the one that comes with it? Any issues with it? I just got the Argos and cartronics p*ssed me off so much I just want to get rid of it. Plus for the $$$ it costs, they could have done some more R&D and mad it actually useful enough to justify the cost.

works great, steering wheel control works wheel, you can see the dynavin mic on the pic behind the mirror
Old 08-28-2011, 06:44 PM

Mercedes-Benz CLK AMG
Hi there, I also have a CLK 320, how did you install this?
was it an easy plug and play? Please let me know asap i am thinking of ordering it. Manythanks
Old 08-28-2011, 07:44 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
05 CL65 AMG, 07 Ferrari F430, 03 Range Rover HSE
Hello all, we don't make the Argos, a company called EIS does. I am sorry you are unhappy with it. However we have sold thousands and rarely hear a complaint. We will buy it back at full price if you are unhappy, as there is a long waiting list of clients that would like to have it. We wish that you would have called us with any complaint, but we have not had a complaint on an Argos in over a year.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
That's some good customer service there I'd say...
Old 08-29-2011, 09:55 AM

2004 C240 4Matic
Originally Posted by Cartronics
Hello all, we don't make the Argos, a company called EIS does. I am sorry you are unhappy with it. However we have sold thousands and rarely hear a complaint. We will buy it back at full price if you are unhappy, as there is a long waiting list of clients that would like to have it. We wish that you would have called us with any complaint, but we have not had a complaint on an Argos in over a year.
The problem is, i got my unit installed by a local installer; Hurley's Auto in McLean, VA, who went directly through the owner OF EIS to get the unit for me. I emailed and asked Scott at Cartronics a simple question regarding the operation of the unit with an iPhone, and since somehow my installer got the unit directly through the owner of EIS and not Cartronics he would not answer my question, I even emailed EIS directly and did not get a response either.

So if you all have an issue with the owner of EIS then you need to work with him on your problem with this, and not let the customer suffer, to me, its lousy customer service, period.

Last edited by jtalbert; 08-29-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:26 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

I don't understand - you purchased a unit elsewhere, and wanted help from Cartronics? Scott, would be correct to not be able to offer support on two grounds. 1. there have been a couple of versions of Argos floating around - and we can not, nor should we offer support on products we did not sell. 2. It costs money to pay employees and man phones, so you surely could not be upset with Cartronics, for something we had ZERO to do with, nor have any idea if you have an old units floating around or one of the new units (they are quite different). Who was your installer? They should have helped you too. The person that actually made money on your project should be the one that you are upset with. We do not operate a charity, nor should we support dealers that do not purchase through us.
I don't mean to sound harsh at all, but we have a reputation for our knowledge and support, but that is reserved for our customers, not other peoples customers.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:57 AM

2004 C240 4Matic
Fine, I understand. One question, Do you all man/answer support emails from EIS directly or is that someone else? I did reach out to them and did not get a response, since they manufactured the unit they should be able to answer questions correctly? Also as for your support, on your website you state that you can pay $30 for a year of support if you purchased the unit elsewhere, correct?
Old 08-29-2011, 12:47 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

You generally will not get a response from EIS. EIS is one person. He subcontracts out the manufacturing and does not generally receive calls - even from us. Even emails from us can take few days to get an answer. However, the Argos is a DAMN GOOD product, and we even provide him some of the components for the newest modules made now. He generally relies on us for all distribution and support, but occasionally when he is in town, he will sell 'something' directly. However, in this case, he could have sold the previous model even. We have no way of knowing. If I remember you correctly, and without mentioning your dealers name - you and the dealer were trying to bypass the current waiting list that exists for Argos units. I think you successfully did, but we have no idea what you had installed. I say this because I happen to know that there are currently no Argos available. They were out of production for about 7 months. They went back into production recently, and we have been filling orders from Dec- May. However, we ran out of parts, because some of the new ones we ordered tested bad. We are awaiting the next parts batch to come in to provide to EIS, so we can fill the rest of the backorders later next week. So it is quite possible that your dealer found one elsewhere (previous model), or for some reason EIS pulled one out of line and sent it directly (bad EIS , that is cheating other customers in line).
Again, we have no way of knowing what you have - only your installer knows (and frankly they should be the ones that answer all the questions). All manufacturers in the 12 Volt industry, as we are called, require that the retailer is the one that delivers all support to the end user. Most of what we sell is not stand alone. It is interdependent on other systems in the car. It is one of the many reasons that clients prefer to buy direct from us, then use a local installer (or self install). That way the installer, who may work on every kind of car known, does not need to be an expert in the systems we support. They are just the 'wrench turner'. If we are the retailer, we can afford to offer great support AND we know exactly what we sold you, what car it is in, and every other detail required to give support.
In this case, I think the previously unmentioned dealer should be knocked around a bit and asked what they put in, and any questions you need answered.

[EDIT] - I forgot to answer your support question: You may have misread the support option. We do not offer support of any kind for products we don't sell (we do offer long term support for items that we do sell). We couldn't offer support for items that came from somewhere else even if we wanted to, as we don't know what you have or what it is hooked up to - for all the reasons mentioned above.

Last edited by Cartronics; 08-29-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:16 PM

2004 C240 4Matic
you and the dealer were trying to bypass the current waiting list that exists for Argos units.
First lets get something straight. I was NOT trying to bypass ANY waiting list. Let me briefely tell you my story.

I called this company to see what options I have for bluetooth, they said they could help me and they use the Argos and scheduled me to come in.

I dropped my car off on the scheduled apt, and three hours later got a call. I expected them to tell me it was done, but no, they waited THREE Hours to tell me the product was not in stock, it was on back order and to come pick up my car.

I was told they talked to someone and it would be in the following tuesday, I called them on that day and it was not in,it had been shipped and was scheduled to be there on Thursday. I was scheduled to go out of town the following week, and made another apt for that Thursday since that was the day it was scheduled to be delieved by Fedex. I dropped me car off, three hours later, got a call, it was not in and to pick up my car. I was told they would check on it. I went to pick up my car, was told there was a payment issue and it was resovlved it would be in the following week. I got a call the following Thursday while I was out of town letting me know it was in stock and to drop my car off to have it installed.

In the middle of all of this, I got an email from scott about another product that was on sale, I emailed him asking if that would work in my car and he said no, the Argos would, and thats who I got Scott in the loop of what was going on. He was kind enough to talk to me on the phone and let me know that my dealer had called a few times to see if it was in stock, but no order was placed, and it was then I was told that my dealer may be going through this other person directly to get a product.

I DID NOT ask him to try to rush the order. I DID NOT say hey, I want you to get this any means possible. I DID NOT and DO NOT know how he got the unit, or where it got the unit from, or how it got it. So DO NOT say I was trying to bypass the waiting list. I WAS NOT PERIOD.

In this case, I think the previously unmentioned dealer should be knocked around a bit and asked what they put in, and any questions you need answered.
Now with the above said, can you see why I may be unhappy with the installer, and would not want to even talk to them, and try to get a FEW user question answered. I would even be willing to pay the $30 for support or whatever it would cost for support. Plane and simple. I would be willing to pay money to get the support so I do not need to talk to or support the installer in any way. And with knowing all of this, it would be a cold day in h*ll before I recommend this installer to anyone.

Last edited by jtalbert; 08-29-2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:19 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

they could have done some more R&D and mad it actually useful enough to justify the cost.
Hey guys, this is Scott. My boss sent me this thread and I though I would ask the follow:
The Argos EXACTLY replicates ALL functions of the original Mercedes phone system. So much so, that you use the Mercedes owners manual for operation for everything except the pairing procedure. What features are not working? Again, from what my boss said, if something is not working, the installer should be contacted and things need to be corrected. That module works PERFECTLY. In the past several years I can not remember but one or two complaints ever.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:27 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

I hope you can see why we were concerned that you were "p***sed off" with Cartronics. We take our reputation VERY seriously, and if someone is upset, we want to correct it if we are the ones that did the upsetting.
In this case we did not have anything to do with this, other than answer a questions that never resulted in any sort of sale. Your dealer (whom I think you SHOULD mention, INSTEAD of using our name), was the one that was trying to bypass the waiting line. So I mis-spoke. Sorry about that. I did not mean to imply that it was you.
We would just appreciate clarifying that is was not us that did you any wrong. We had nothing to do with this entire transaction. We were just phone called in the middle and asked if we could do anything about the wait, and we correctly said no. What your dealer did to you, has nothing to do with us, but yet you said you were really mad at us, instead of saying you were really mad at your dealer, who clearly inconvenienced you and led you astray (what a run on sentence that is). Remember, when someone types our name into Google, they may find your post of how upset you are. That may punish us, instead of the people you are really upset with. That would not be fair, would it? If it has been less than 24 hours, you should be able to EDIT your post.

Last edited by Cartronics; 08-29-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:36 PM

2004 C240 4Matic
I hope you can see why we were concerned that you were "p***sed off" with Cartronics. We take our reputation VERY seriously, and if someone is upset, we want to correct it if we are the ones that did the upsetting.
In this case we did not have anything to do with this, other than answer a questions that never resulted in any sort of sale. Your dealer (whom I think you SHOULD mention, INSTEAD of using our name), was the one that was trying to bypass the waiting line. So I mis-spoke. Sorry about that. I did not mean to imply that it was you.
We would just appreciate clarifying that is was not us that did you any wrong. We had nothing to do with this entire transaction. We were just phone called in the middle and asked if we could do anything about the wait, and we correctly said no. What your dealer did to you, has nothing to do with us, but yet you said you were really mad at us, instead of saying you were really mad at your dealer, who clearly inconvenienced you and led you astray (what a run on sentence that is). Remember, when someone types our name into Google, they may find your post of how upset you are. That may punish us, instead of the people you are really upset with. That would not be fair, would it? If it has been less than 24 hours, you should be able to EDIT your post.

Fair, Hurley's Auto in McLean, VA is the company I am p*ssed off with, not cartronics.

My big problem, and still you all have not answered me, now that I have cleared your name, maybe you will answer my question. If I was to pay you all the $30 I think your website says for support, can I get questions answered.

Hurley's Auto in McLean, VA did me wrong so much with this product I do not want to waste another breath talking to them. Even if I need to pay money, which again i am happy to do to get a few questions answered.

I do not and will not recommend Hurley's Auto in McLean, VA for anything. Period.

Did this clarify who I am unhappy with.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:39 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

We do have an extended support option for $39. However, it is for things we sell. If you want to sign up, we can certainly TRY to support you. With both eyes open for you and us, just know that we do not know what you have exactly, nor how it was installed. We can certainly try though.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:07 PM

2004 C240 4Matic
We do have an extended support option for $39. However, it is for things we sell. If you want to sign up, we can certainly TRY to support you. With both eyes open for you and us, just know that we do not know what you have exactly, nor how it was installed. We can certainly try though.
I have an Argos BT installed, is is pre redesign or post re-design I have no clue.

Here is my frustration with Cartronics if I have any frustration.

Did Hurleys get it directly from you all, no, was I involved in that, no... Do you know who they got it from, probably, Scott mentioned the name of the person who they may be working with and I was at Hurleys when they called and talked to him.

Your biggest issue should be with this person, who sold Hurleys a product outside of the wait list. If this person did it for Hurleys, how many other companies is he doing this for?

This is an ugly situation that trust me I do not want to be a part of. I have regret at getting this system installed and this entire thing has left a bad taste in my mouth. I paid $900 for something that I could have installed myself, but I thought I would go with a local, trusted installer that way if I had problems I could work with them, but again, with what they not only did to me, but did to you all, do you blame me for not wanting to talk to them again?

I am a customer that is caught in the middle of this, and I never wanted to be , nor wish I was, but unfortunately i am.

My question I had was synching iphone contacts with the Argos, it does not, I read that the Argos can import contacts from a SIM but the iPhone does not store contacts on the SIM. If not, why doesnt it/cant it? If it can pull contacts from a SIM why cant you program the system to talk to the iPhone and import the contacts.

It would have been a simple, yes it should be able to support this feature, or no it does not.

Also, this type of question/answer should be in your documentation. The iPhone is a very popular phone. You would not have to single out the iPhone you could word the documention " Phones that either do not have a SIM Card/ or does not store contacts on a SIM card, the Argos cannot import contacts from these type of phones" This would not limit the question and or answer to one specific phone type.

If that is something that you could answer/support me with, I will be happy to go to your website and pay you the $39.

Your website states this support option is for people who are not original purchases, since Hurleys did not purchase the device from you, and did it through some other channel, I would fall under this category. I have pulled my rear quarter panel and I have verified I have an Argos installed.

Its really frustrating to me that you keep telling me you do not know whats installed so you cant help me. If this option truely is available to me, as a courtesy to a customer wouldnt you want to instead of saying " I dont know whats installed" Say something like this.

"Since the Argos was not purchased through us, the only support option would be the $39 a year support fee, and we will do what we can to answer your questions and help you"

This would
1) Make a customer like me happy, all I want, is questions answered an willing to pay you money
2) As a customer make me thing, Dang, I should have bought the Argos directly through Cartronics and then found someone to install it if I ran into issues. But Cartonics was super with doing the best they could to answer my questions and I will recommend the Argos and also strongly recommend people order it directly through Cartronics and no place else.

I am in customer support, I have been in customer support in various levels and companies all my working life, and I know on your website, you say you are proud of the products and service your provide. Hopefully you will take this as a learning opportunity to from the initial contact from a customer to give them any option you can for support, instead of saying, sorry dont know whats installed, cant help you.

Thank you again for your assistance. Again I also apologize for mis-directing my anger and blame at Cartronics.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:57 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

I will get our web programmer to change the wording of the site, because maybe it is not clear enough. It currently says that we will support second (or third, or forth) owners of OUR equipment. Meaning if you buy a car that has OUR equipment in it already, we can help you learn how to use it, etc.

Our documentation that comes with our equipment DOES cover everything a client needs to know. We purposely do not put everything on the web, because shady companies will try to sell competing or similar products and then use our resources for support. That is only smart business to try and prevent this from happening as much as possible. So most of the info is on our site, but certain key elements are in the box when it comes from us for a lot of items. We are not a public library and invest tens of thousands of dollars every year in test equipment and engineering. We can not afford to give it away for free.
As I said before, we can try to help you, but there are more factors here than I think you realize. Is the car coded properly? Is this an older unit? Is it in the ring in the right spot (related to coding as well)? Is it on top of a previous analog system? Are you sure they even put an Argos in and not something else? Does the car have the VR module installed?

We would need to have you call us from the car, and check various things and displays to help determine what it is you even have.

Normally we have no desire to help any other retailer by delivering customer support for their customers. It is a PROBLEM we face everyday. We are pretty well known, and even hired by outside companies and dealerships for our knowledge and product testing abilities etc. There are so many "best in installers in ________ city" that have no idea what they are talking about. They try to undercut us, then use us directly as a resource, or have the customers use us as a resource, when we made nothing on the deal to help support said resources. In this case, we are trying to help you, because we have a sideways reputation with the manufacturer (who sometimes undercuts us too - but that is a whole different story) but have to start somewhere. Let me know when you sign up with the support option and send us a normal email (not PM on this site).

THANKS!!
Old 08-29-2011, 03:56 PM

2004 C240 4Matic
First, yes, I did pull the quarter panel and did verify that I do have an Argos, i thought i mentioned that before that I did verify that my car did have an Argos installed.

I will send you all an email later this week, the beginning of this week is busy for me, but towards the end of the week I will email after paying the moneys to get help.

The question I have is a simple question that does asks about features, one feature in particular. Does the Argos have the capability to import contacts from an iPhone. If not, no use wasting your time, or my time. This is a type of question that a prospective customer can and would ask. Can you answer that? Do older units not support this, but newer units do?

It not like I am asking for help installing it, or coding it, knowing the answer to this question could end my questions/troubles once and for all.

Either way, I just paid the $39, even if the answer is a simple no, I paid $39 at least for your time on responding to me on here, again, I am not trying to rip anyone off. As stated before I am and have alway been more than happy to pay for support.

Thanks.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2023 CLA 250, 2003 CLK320
wow thats lots of updates here, will need to read threw. I'm extremely swamped with work the past month and at least as for immediate feature. So the project had to be put on hold. I got all the cabling done, started to remove the door trim to get the speakers replaced. Hoping to find some time now here and there to get the speakers in. Then I should have all ready to install the head unit. Can't wait! the car looks like crap now with trim removed all over the place
Old 08-29-2011, 04:08 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by dariusf
wow thats lots of updates here, will need to read threw. I'm extremely swamped with work the past month and at least as for immediate feature. So the project had to be put on hold. I got all the cabling done, started to remove the door trim to get the speakers replaced. Hoping to find some time now here and there to get the speakers in. Then I should have all ready to install the head unit. Can't wait! the car looks like crap now with trim removed all over the place
Never meant to highjack the thread....back to normal business. jtalbert subscribed to our service, and we will try to help him!!
Old 08-29-2011, 04:10 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

First, yes, I did pull the quarter panel and did verify that I do have an Argos, i thought i mentioned that before that I did verify that my car did have an Argos installed.

I will send you all an email later this week, the beginning of this week is busy for me, but towards the end of the week I will email after paying the moneys to get help.

The question I have is a simple question that does asks about features, one feature in particular. Does the Argos have the capability to import contacts from an iPhone. If not, no use wasting your time, or my time. This is a type of question that a prospective customer can and would ask. Can you answer that? Do older units not support this, but newer units do?

It not like I am asking for help installing it, or coding it, knowing the answer to this question could end my questions/troubles once and for all.

Either way, I just paid the $39, even if the answer is a simple no, I paid $39 at least for your time on responding to me on here, again, I am not trying to rip anyone off. As stated before I am and have alway been more than happy to pay for support.

Thanks.
I know it sounds simple, but it is not. On the surface, older units do not support iPhone phonebook. Newer units do.... BUT, that does not mean you have an older unit. It could be one of the various other factors that I can help with when you call. So the straight answer is....it depends
Old 08-29-2011, 04:16 PM

2004 C240 4Matic
Originally Posted by dariusf
Dariusf, sorry as well, did not mean to hijack your thread. I am anxious to see your results. I did see someone else finish it and it looks great.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:36 AM

CLK 270CDi (W209 pre2004)
Hi Guys,

I am just hesitating to buy a Dynavin MC2000 HU and would like to ask for your help.
I believe I can rely on your experience and make a good decision.

Some info: I own a EU model CLK 270 pre facelift (mfg Oct 2003 - I am located in EU)
I am not a car electrician, so not an expert at all and once the HU is purchased I would go to an expert for fitting.

Factory equipments:
- Comand APS 2.0 (CD based navi without tv tuner)
- Mic built into the roof, above the mirror
- Bose speakers
- Built in cd changer
- Nokia compliant (UHI?) cradle in the upper part of the armrest

What I am not sure about... at all:
- Does this car have a fibre cableing? How to find out?
- If there would be a Bose amp in the trunk, should I recognize it without any disassemply of the covers etc. (I hope there isn't any amp)?
- Would the factory mic work with the HU?
- Is there a separate original GPS receiver which I can reconnect to the new HU or the supplied one has to be connected?
- What is the audio/music over BT quality
- Can it handle audio and phone hands free over BT at the same time (other HUs can do that)?
- Does the HU work together with the Bose speakers or do I have to count on replacing them as well (not preferred)?
- What is the level of integration with the steering wheel control buttons for managing the HU?
- Does the HU transmit any information to the cluster display in front of the driver? (e.g. station name, track name or number etc.)
- Is the navigation somehow integrated with the cluster display? (e.g next turn info)
- In case switching the source with the steering wheel buttons (tv, radio, cd) does it control the HU?

Feature questions:
- Is the DVB-T receiver a basic feature or an add-on?
- Where to put the antenna of the TV receiver?

Are there any additional featres or behaviours I should consider?

Thank you for your help in advance

Marcell

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Project Dynavin - audio installation