CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Project Dynavin - audio installation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2011 | 09:40 AM

CLK 270CDi (W209 pre2004)
Hi Guys,

I am just hesitating to buy a Dynavin MC2000 HU and would like to ask for your help.
I believe I can rely on your experience and make a good decision.

Some info: I own a EU model CLK 270 pre facelift (mfg Oct 2003 - I am located in EU)
I am not a car electrician, so not an expert at all and once the HU is purchased I would go to an expert for fitting.

Factory equipments:
- Comand APS 2.0 (CD based navi without tv tuner)
- Mic built into the roof, above the mirror
- Bose speakers
- Built in cd changer
- Nokia compliant (UHI?) cradle in the upper part of the armrest

What I am not sure about... at all:
- Does this car have a fibre cableing? How to find out?
- If there would be a Bose amp in the trunk, should I recognize it without any disassemply of the covers etc. (I hope there isn't any amp)?
- Would the factory mic work with the HU?
- Is there a separate original GPS receiver which I can reconnect to the new HU or the supplied one has to be connected?
- What is the audio/music over BT quality
- Can it handle audio and phone hands free over BT at the same time (other HUs can do that)?
- Does the HU work together with the Bose speakers or do I have to count on replacing them as well (not preferred)?
- What is the level of integration with the steering wheel control buttons for managing the HU?
- Does the HU transmit any information to the cluster display in front of the driver? (e.g. station name, track name or number etc.)
- Is the navigation somehow integrated with the cluster display? (e.g next turn info)
- In case switching the source with the steering wheel buttons (tv, radio, cd) does it control the HU?

Feature questions:
- Is the DVB-T receiver a basic feature or an add-on?
- Where to put the antenna of the TV receiver?

Are there any additional featres or behaviours I should consider?

Thank you for your help in advance

Marcell
Old 09-16-2011 | 02:25 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

05 CL65 AMG, 07 Ferrari F430, 03 Range Rover HSE
Originally Posted by pmarcell
Hi Guys,

I am just hesitating to buy a Dynavin MC2000 HU and would like to ask for your help.
I believe I can rely on your experience and make a good decision.

Some info: I own a EU model CLK 270 pre facelift (mfg Oct 2003 - I am located in EU)
I am not a car electrician, so not an expert at all and once the HU is purchased I would go to an expert for fitting.

Factory equipments:
- Comand APS 2.0 (CD based navi without tv tuner)
- Mic built into the roof, above the mirror
- Bose speakers
- Built in cd changer
- Nokia compliant (UHI?) cradle in the upper part of the armrest

What I am not sure about... at all:
- Does this car have a fibre cableing? How to find out?
- If there would be a Bose amp in the trunk, should I recognize it without any disassemply of the covers etc. (I hope there isn't any amp)?

Yes, your car has fiber optic bose amp and bose speakers.

- Would the factory mic work with the HU?

No

- Is there a separate original GPS receiver which I can reconnect to the new HU or the supplied one has to be connected?

The one supplied

- What is the audio/music over BT quality

Average

- Can it handle audio and phone hands free over BT at the same time (other HUs can do that)?

Yes

- Does the HU work together with the Bose speakers or do I have to count on replacing them as well (not preferred)?

No - they have to be replaced

- What is the level of integration with the steering wheel control buttons for managing the HU?

Basic

- Does the HU transmit any information to the cluster display in front of the driver? (e.g. station name, track name or number etc.)

No - no cluster display at all

- Is the navigation somehow integrated with the cluster display? (e.g next turn info)

No - no cluster display at all

- In case switching the source with the steering wheel buttons (tv, radio, cd) does it control the HU?

Can not be done

Feature questions:
- Is the DVB-T receiver a basic feature or an add-on?
- Where to put the antenna of the TV receiver?

Add on

Are there any additional featres or behaviours I should consider?

Thank you for your help in advance

Marcell

See above answers
Old 09-19-2011 | 07:41 AM

CLK 270CDi (W209 pre2004)
Hi Cartronics,

thanks for your help.

The conclusion to me is, this HU is not the right choice to me.
I think I will continue to use the aux in the glove box for ipod and buy a viseeo UHI device.

On one hand I do not like the extra cableing (for the mic) on the other hand this solution - with new speakers, wires and required work - is still too expensive to what it offers to me.

In general I am happy with the current HU although it cannot play mp3 CDs and in my EU region there is no map coverage...

thanks again

Marcell
Old 11-03-2011 | 09:00 AM

CLK 320 2003
Darius....

when you say the cd player plug needs to be terminated...whats will happen if this is not terminated?

I've just done an MC2000 install today on my 2003 CLK, and whilst the unit works fine...i notice the following:

1. i dont have a parking camera attached, but when i put the gear lever into reverse, the screen switches to the parking mode (black screen), and returns to the last previous screen when i shift out of reverse. Very weird...or perhaps a feature! Does anyone have the same?

2. im using an iPhone 4 with iOS5, and whilst I can connect via bluetooth and stream music...when i switch to Navi or other function, such as the Main menu, the music stops...until i go back into the Bluetooth menu. Is that normal

3. if i use the iPod connection to play music...does the same happen in 2, or is music still playing when you switch to Navi?...if yes...i guess its a problem with the iPhone/bluetooth connectivity...
Old 11-03-2011 | 09:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 CLA 250, 2003 CLK320
Originally Posted by ducatiash
Darius....

when you say the cd player plug needs to be terminated...whats will happen if this is not terminated?

I've just done an MC2000 install today on my 2003 CLK, and whilst the unit works fine...i notice the following:

1. i dont have a parking camera attached, but when i put the gear lever into reverse, the screen switches to the parking mode (black screen), and returns to the last previous screen when i shift out of reverse. Very weird...or perhaps a feature! Does anyone have the same?

2. im using an iPhone 4 with iOS5, and whilst I can connect via bluetooth and stream music...when i switch to Navi or other function, such as the Main menu, the music stops...until i go back into the Bluetooth menu. Is that normal

3. if i use the iPod connection to play music...does the same happen in 2, or is music still playing when you switch to Navi?...if yes...i guess its a problem with the iPhone/bluetooth connectivity...
I do not have iPhone or use iPod in the car so can't comment on this. For the camera issue I think there is an option in settings to disable.

As for termination of the fiber network, you only need to be concerned if you have other devices on it that you want to continue to work like the MB phone interface. I only had the CD changer and Bose amp on the network and both got removed / replaced so no need to terminate in my case.

Did you have Bose in your car and what did you replace it with if you did (amp, speakers)?
Old 11-03-2011 | 10:21 AM

CLK 320 2003
Darius....thx.

No, no AMP...so relatively straight forward install. I find the Dynavin sound output good enough for me.
Old 11-03-2011 | 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ducatiash
Darius....thx.

No, no AMP...so relatively straight forward install. I find the Dynavin sound output good enough for me.
Thats interesting so you just use the RCA connectors on the head unit and connect to speaker directly?

Did you have Bose originally and its 2ohm speakers? If thats the case I guess you would have to replace the speakers as from my understanding Dynavin unit will only drive 4ohm speakers.
Old 11-03-2011 | 11:19 AM

CLK 320 2003
Originally Posted by dariusf
Thats interesting so you just use the RCA connectors on the head unit and connect to speaker directly?

Did you have Bose originally and its 2ohm speakers? If thats the case I guess you would have to replace the speakers as from my understanding Dynavin unit will only drive 4ohm speakers.

darius, no. I dont have a BOSE system and I think its standard wiring. I just connected the plugs supplied by Dynavin to the car harness and sound is great. Dont use the RCA connectors at all. In fact those can be taken out from the plug itself as it creates to much 'stuff' at that back of the console and harder to get the MC2000 in the slot.

Only real prob I have now is the bluetooth music streaming (cutting out when not in the Bluetooth screen) and the stupid reverse camera kicking in when there's no frikkin camera installed!
Old 11-03-2011 | 12:19 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

The Dynavin can not do 2 things at once, like the factory head unit can. The bluetooth operation is normal. You could disconnect the reverse sense wire from the harness to stop the backup camera issue. I am a product tester at Cartronics, and have been over and over the Dynavin and Haulingan units, so I know them pretty thoroughly.
Good thing you don't have the BOSE, or your stuck with a total rewire, respeaker, etc....
Old 11-06-2011 | 03:30 AM

CLK 320 2003
Originally Posted by Cartronics
The Dynavin can not do 2 things at once, like the factory head unit can. The bluetooth operation is normal. You could disconnect the reverse sense wire from the harness to stop the backup camera issue. I am a product tester at Cartronics, and have been over and over the Dynavin and Haulingan units, so I know them pretty thoroughly.
Good thing you don't have the BOSE, or your stuck with a total rewire, respeaker, etc....
hi Cartronics...

ther Dynavin does seem to multitask - when in iPod mode music still streams when Nav is selected. It just doesn't work it Bluetooth mode (music stops streaming, but calls can be made and recieved in Nav mode).

when you mean disconnect the reverse sense wire from the harness, what color is that wire (if you remember) and do I disconnect the wire as it leaves the Dynavin unit, or somewhere in the main Benz harness?
Old 11-06-2011 | 09:20 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

It will on certain functions, but many others it can not multitask. It boils down to if both functions reside within the Windows CE. If it does they will not multitask properly. Unfortunately that is one of the issues with the unit, the BT streaming is a "focused" process for the unit. We asked them when we were testing about fixing this, and they told us it was not possible.

The reverse sense wire was detailed in the install manual and needs to be removed from the back of the Dynavin harness.
Old 11-06-2011 | 09:23 PM

CLK 320 2003
Thx for that.

The only remaining issue for me is getting an iGO8 map for Hong Kong, where i'm based. I've tried the naviextras site, and they make you download this Toolbox software that is meant to detect your SD card and then allows you to pay and download the map. Unfortunately the Toolbox doesn't recognise the SD card. Searching the Naviextras forum, it seems this is a common problem and support is pretty lousy.

Anyone have any recommendation?...or know where I can download a HK map?
Old 11-12-2011 | 09:57 PM

CLK 320 2003
yesssss! got that HK map!
Old 11-21-2011 | 08:34 PM

C230k 2002
Hi Darius ,how is installation going ? I recently purchased MC 2000 ,and I have decided to copy your project step by step , from amp , thru speakers to installation. Hopefully you will have some time to upload pictures and detail instructions how you did it , (wiring , how did you power the amp ) etc... Im not in the mood to pay $600 for installation and lets face it , much more fun to do it your self and final joy is much greater ... :-) Hope to hear from you soon ! Alex
Old 11-25-2011 | 08:20 AM

W209 55
Updates please

Really looking to get a Dynavin
Old 11-25-2011 | 09:04 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Do a search on the forums and you will find many, many posts on the Dynavin. The consensus among most (I would guess about 80%), plus our testing of them (more than 1) is pretty conclusive.
Old 12-03-2011 | 04:39 PM

Mercedes CLK280 2007
Hi Darius, great going on the audio project! I'm researching speakers for my car right now and like you have heard raving reviews of the Polk Audio speakers. Very interested in knowing your feedback on them in the CLK. How is the sound quality and clarity? Was the tweeter easy to fit in the OEM location?

Thanks!
Old 04-23-2012 | 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm Back

Hi guys, sorry for being missing in action for a few months. I'm completely swamped with setting up couple new companies on top of other work.

I finally might have a little free time and need distraction

Anyway, I will be happy to answer any questions regarding the install and will also try to finish up the installation guide.

Old 04-23-2012 | 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by grech
Hi Darius, great going on the audio project! I'm researching speakers for my car right now and like you have heard raving reviews of the Polk Audio speakers. Very interested in knowing your feedback on them in the CLK. How is the sound quality and clarity? Was the tweeter easy to fit in the OEM location?

Thanks!
Well It sounds quite well and far better then the Bose it replaced. The tweeter fit very well but I had to wrap the outside housing of the tweeter in a few loops of electrical tape to give it a nice snug fit inside the MB plastic housing. You can't see it once installed. I can post a pic of the inside.

As for the other speakers in the doors, the front speakers required slight modification of the original speaker housing. I also flipped the + / - as the wire plugs did not fit other way and I did not want to mass with it. Just remember to flip it on the other end. The rear speakers needed just a very small mod to the original housing and fit right in. I will post some pics.

Also this is refering to the speakers I used that are posted in the beginning of this thread. Other speakers might need more or less modifications.
Old 04-23-2012 | 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
It looks good pal, like it belongs there.

Nice work and great info in this thread
Old 04-23-2012 | 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks! the look is great as far as matching the rest of the car. Same goes for the illumination being orange and the fit is perfect in the opening.

It was a lot of work to install but worth it for sure.
Old 05-14-2013 | 08:44 AM

W203 C200 Kompressor
This looks awesome. I am going to try it with my W203. And I like the fact that he HU does not have any branding and looks OEM-like
Old 05-15-2013 | 09:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hi, I have an extra head unit if you are interested.
Old 05-17-2013 | 09:51 AM

W203 C200 Kompressor
Originally Posted by dariusf
Thanks! the look is great as far as matching the rest of the car. Same goes for the illumination being orange and the fit is perfect in the opening.

It was a lot of work to install but worth it for sure.
I am interested in how the unit works with the steering wheel controls.

Do all the buttons work for volume, menu and the phone (in BT mode)?

Does the inbuilt info display in the intrument cluster display information from the unit such as tracks, RDS from radio, contact names of callers when using the phone in BT?
Old 05-18-2013 | 03:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Geezay
I am interested in how the unit works with the steering wheel controls.

Do all the buttons work for volume, menu and the phone (in BT mode)?

Does the inbuilt info display in the intrument cluster display information from the unit such as tracks, RDS from radio, contact names of callers when using the phone in BT?
Volume and phone buttons work just fine. There is an adapter that allows it included. Display cluster is a bit limited but has some functionality. The 7" display makes up for it quite well.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Project Dynavin - audio installation