CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Pics of Triumph Spitfire recent gem find!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 03:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
V8, Flat 6, V6, & Turbo flat 4
Pics of Triumph Spitfire recent gem find!

Pics and details as promised in my teaser road trip thread.

So, I have been looking for a immaculate condition Triumph Spitfire for awhile now, and just came across my dream come true example.
You ready for this?

1979 Triumph Spitfire
21k original owner miles (Denver, Colorado car). Car has been garaged always and in climate control garage. I have the original window sticker, original odometer disclosure, and all original documents that came with the car from dealer! All maintenance records from dealer included with car since 1979 also! Absolutely no rust on car anywhere!!!! Even the car seats look like they have never been sat in!
I feel like it's 1979 and I just walked into a Triumph dealer and bought a new car! I couldn't believe the condition of car and all the original stuff that came with it!
I was able to get it thru some twisties and nice roads and enjoy this little British roadster! What a blast to drive and people everywhere where asking about it. This has got to be the lowest car I have ever owned, Toyota Corollas seem like SUVs next to it.

Here are some pics, until I have some time to detail it from the road trip.
I had seat covers on to preserve the original mint condition seats, but will take pics with them off after I detail it and take more pics.
Enjoy!

Made it triumphantly to my garage

Last edited by kostas86; 05-28-2011 at 11:06 AM.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 Sedan
congrats on the new purchase
Old 05-27-2011, 03:25 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Congrats, she looks like a beaut. What did you end up spending on her, if you don't mind me asking? You drove it all the way home?
Old 05-28-2011, 03:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
Amazing find, a little resto on the bumpers and a solid cut polish and she'll be ready for the ball
Old 05-28-2011, 07:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLK & GL
nice!!
Old 05-28-2011, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by ahmadk
congrats on the new purchase
thanks buddy
Originally Posted by dynomite05
Congrats, she looks like a beaut. What did you end up spending on her, if you don't mind me asking? You drove it all the way home?
Thanks, yup drove it all the way home and it was one great cruise to enjoy my new toy. Plus owner had all maintenance and everything done and documented since 1979 purchase so I was confident in the little go kart.

Originally Posted by Kevwood
Amazing find, a little resto on the bumpers and a solid cut polish and she'll be ready for the ball
Thanks, yup, just some minor detailing and it's ready for the ball.
I'll post up pics once I get a chance to detail my British love affair!
I was joking with my wife that when she gives birth I am gonna pick her up from hospital with it lol
Let me tell you though, this car is so low that it is very easy to bottom out on frame, muffler, etc. And lets just say that driving at night, you need sunglasses because every car's headlights hit you straight in the face, haha.

Originally Posted by kbahl21
nice!!
Thanks buddy.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
It's an awesome car pal, I was hoping that's what it was when I guessed from your teaser pic's - it's a real classic.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLK500 SPORT
she looks good...enjoy her
Old 05-28-2011, 11:05 AM

Here's a pic of engine bay, for some reason it didn't post with original post:

It's an awesome car pal, I was hoping that's what it was when I guessed from your teaser pic's - it's a real classic.
Thanks.
Good eye, you know your British roadsters!

Originally Posted by Flame3g
she looks good...enjoy her
Thanks, I feel bad driving it because it's so mint but I promised I would get her out once a week or once every two weeks and stretch her legs.
Old 05-28-2011, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 CLK350 -SOLD! 2010 Cadillac SRX Premium Turbo
Looks great. Had a buddy way back in high school that had one. It was a blast to cruise in. I was close in my guess. Enjoy
Old 05-28-2011, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mka77
Looks great. Had a buddy way back in high school that had one. It was a blast to cruise in. I was close in my guess. Enjoy
Thanks, yup very close guess.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by kostas86
Here's a pic of engine bay, for some reason it didn't post with original post:

Being an attention to details man, I'm really digging how clean that engine bay is. Some wire sizing, loom and black wires ties later it's going to be awesome
Old 05-29-2011, 10:49 AM

2014 CLS 550 & 2004 CL55
That car is a beauty. I love it. I wanted one so bad.

I came a hair's breadth from buying either the Spitfire or the TR-6 in 1972. They were on the same showroom floor of course and they were SO reasonably priced. But I couldn't make myself pull the trigger because I didn't have a garage with tools and such and all the reading I did told me I would have to be really lucky or I couldn't afford the maintenance. This was middle america and you never saw them on the road. If I hadn't been a subscriber to Car and Driver, I never would have known what they were. The dealer was in the rich part of town near my college in order to market to the "silver spoon" crowd, to which I was not a member. I guess I wanted to be. One of my best friends (with more money) had a 66 MGB. We were working on it all the time. All the time. Good luck on your project.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:45 PM

Being an attention to details man, I'm really digging how clean that engine bay is. Some wire sizing, loom and black wires ties later it's going to be awesome
We think alike!

Originally Posted by JHouse
That car is a beauty. I love it. I wanted one so bad.

I came a hair's breadth from buying either the Spitfire or the TR-6 in 1972. They were on the same showroom floor of course and they were SO reasonably priced. But I couldn't make myself pull the trigger because I didn't have a garage with tools and such and all the reading I did told me I would have to be really lucky or I couldn't afford the maintenance. This was middle america and you never saw them on the road. If I hadn't been a subscriber to Car and Driver, I never would have known what they were. The dealer was in the rich part of town near my college in order to market to the "silver spoon" crowd, to which I was not a member. I guess I wanted to be. One of my best friends (with more money) had a 66 MGB. We were working on it all the time. All the time. Good luck on your project.
Thanks buddy! I really enjoyed reading your post. I know I am showing my youth with this statement (lol) but I was born after production ended for Spitfire and this is my first carburetor car. Making reading your post even more interesting But I have always liked them but never really saw one on the streets. I am really looking forward to detailing this bad boy asap, but every freaking weekend it keeps raining here! But I am glad I stayed patient and found the best condition, flawless one, and I feel like I walk into a 1979 capsule when in it.

Last edited by kostas86; 05-29-2011 at 12:48 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:50 PM

2014 CLS 550 & 2004 CL55
Sports cars for the young got a HUGE boost when Ryan O'neal drove a classic MG in Love Story (1970). He was going to law school at Harvard. A lot of kids wanted to be him.

Except for the SMOG controls (which a lot of folks removed - but that can be treacherous), the cars are pretty simple. Heck, I even rebuilt (very successfully) a carburetor once when I was about 16 by just reading the directions in the box. I was so proud.

Last edited by JHouse; 05-29-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by JHouse
Sports cars for the young got a HUGE boost when Ryan O'neal drove a classic MG in Love Story (1970). He was going to law school at Harvard. A lot of kids wanted to be him.

Except for the SMOG controls (which a lot of folks removed - but that can be treacherous), the cars are pretty simple. Heck, I even rebuilt (very successfully) a carburetor once when I was about 16 by just reading the directions in the box. I was so proud.
I see! I liked the MG and I see those on the streets around here. But I liked the looks of the Spitfire more. Yup, easy access to the motor and lots of room to work on motor helps a lot on tackling some of the maintenance they require. If the carburetor ever goes out on it, I'll definitely be upgrading it to the more reliable Weber.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:16 PM

2014 CLS 550 & 2004 CL55
The spitfire definitely has the racier look. MG's are pretty stuffy.