CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Keyless go advantages

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 Buick Enclave
Keyless go advantages

Did a search and just plain got confused due to several problems people were having.

I am looking at convertibles and have found two I'm thinking about, a 2005 500 with all options except wood wheel and keyless go and a 2008 350 with all options.

As I understand it the keyless go will allow you to open doors and start the ignition with the key still in your pocket. With or without keyless go you would be required to use the remote to fully open the windows and convertible top from outside the car, correct?

Are there any other advantages to keyless go? Is remote start a part of this?

Last edited by tallison24; 01-24-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts
2008 CLK550 Cab
Frankly I do not know if the non-keyless go cars can also open the top, etc from outside the car. I did not think that was a keyless go issue. Personally, I've used that feature once and think it's sorta stupid. You have to be real close to the car, so you are just standing there with your key pointed at the door handle. Why not just get in? But yes, you need the remote to do this.

No remote start.

I sorta like never having to take the keys out of my pocket. No keys dangling from the dash and rattling. Just touch the door handle and you're good to go.

The biggest disadvantage is when I get in my wife's car and poke the end of the shifter and nothing happens.

Last edited by Yidney; 01-24-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
Originally Posted by Yidney
Frankly I do not know if the non-keyless go cars can also open the top, etc from outside the car. I did not think that was a keyless go issue. Personally, I've used that feature once and think it's sorta stupid. You have to be real close to the car, so you are just standing there with your key pointed at the door handle. Why not just get in?

No remote start.

I sorta like never having to take the keys out of my pocket. No keys dangling from the dash and rattling. Just touch the door handle and you're good to go.

The biggest disadvantage is when I get in my wife's car and poke the end of the shifter and nothing happens.
"Key Not Detected"
Old 01-24-2012, 01:11 PM

2010 Buick Enclave
I've only test driven the car once and didn't think to open the top from the outside, but frankly, I would be shocked if the non keyless go remote would not open the top. Anyone know for sure?

To Kevwood, your reply did a fly-by right over my head????????
Old 01-24-2012, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts
2008 CLK550 Cab
Originally Posted by tallison24
I've only test driven the car once and didn't think to open the top from the outside, but frankly, I would be shocked if the non keyless go remote would not open the top. Anyone know for sure?

I think Kev was responding to my comment about my wife's car and the message the MB sometimes gives when it gets a glitch.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:08 PM

W209 55
Originally Posted by Kevwood
"Key Not Detected"
I get that a lot even with the correct key LOL
Old 01-24-2012, 03:31 PM

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
09 CLK550
The goddamn endless "Don't forget your key!" BEEPING! Same with BEEP BEEP BEEP "Close the sunroof!" BEEP BEEP SHUT THE HELL UP.

Keyless go is 10x more annoying then it needs to be.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:21 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,004 Likes on 872 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
All CLK cabriolets (KeylessGo or not) have remote top open and close, but it's via the IR function only, so the key has to be pointed at and within a few feet of the receiver on the door handle while the lock or unlock button on the fob is continuously pressed. I think it's a fairly useless feature - why stand outside the car for 23 seconds, holding the key in just the right position, when you could be sitting comfortability inside and pressing the console switch instead? Better yet, spend the money and add the SmartTop (a.k.a. IntelliTop) controller and then you get "one-touch" RF control of the top.

As for the original question, other than the convenience of leaving the key in your pocket, there are no real advantages to KeylessGo.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:06 AM

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
2018 E43
My all time 2nd favorite feature (1st is 382 BHP).
I wont get another car without keyless.

OP - are you saying you found a 350 with BiX headlights and Keyless Go? Tell me where! I've never seen one and I'm looking around for Mrs. Rizzo...

Old 01-25-2012, 12:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)

When you get into a Keyless Go car without the key or the battery in the key is very low/dead and you push the button to start it, you get a message that says "Key Not Detected". Yindey's wife's car doesn't have Keyless Go.

Originally Posted by ambit
The goddamn endless "Don't forget your key!" BEEPING! Same with BEEP BEEP BEEP "Close the sunroof!" BEEP BEEP SHUT THE HELL UP.

Keyless go is 10x more annoying then it needs to be.
I had MB update the software, now I just get a single soft chime
Old 01-25-2012, 02:37 AM

2010 Buick Enclave
Originally Posted by Frank Rizzo
My all time 2nd favorite feature (1st is 382 BHP).
I wont get another car without keyless.

OP - are you saying you found a 350 with BiX headlights and Keyless Go? Tell me where! I've never seen one and I'm looking around for Mrs. Rizzo...

Sorry, I(newb) misspoke. I don 't even know what BiX headlights are. I guess I just consider the following as "all the options"...htd & ventilated seat, amg, keyless go, nav, wood stearing wheel.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:52 AM

2010 Buick Enclave
Originally Posted by Rudeney
All CLK cabriolets (KeylessGo or not) have remote top open and close, but it's via the IR function only, so the key has to be pointed at and within a few feet of the receiver on the door handle while the lock or unlock button on the fob is continuously pressed. I think it's a fairly useless feature - why stand outside the car for 23 seconds, holding the key in just the right position, when you could be sitting comfortability inside and pressing the console switch instead? Better yet, spend the money and add the SmartTop (a.k.a. IntelliTop) controller and then you get "one-touch" RF control of the top.

As for the original question, other than the convenience of leaving the key in your pocket, there are no real advantages to KeylessGo.
My biggest use would be to lower the top from outside during hot days. If I buy I'll probably have to look for remote start, smarttop as well as whatever I need for the particular year I buy to get bluetooth and ipod activated. Seems like a lot to have to buy for a $60-$90some thousand car new.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:40 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Sorry, I(newb) misspoke. I don 't even know what BiX headlights are. I guess I just consider the following as "all the options"...htd & ventilated seat, amg, keyless go, nav, wood stearing wheel.
All of those options were available on any CLK- 320, 500, 305, 550, 55-AMG, 63-AMG. Yes, it's rare to find a V6 with KeylessGo or Bi-Xenons, but it was certainly an option. 99% of vehicles were ordered by dealers who selected options to meet certain price points to maximize sales. They know that V6 buyers were typically looking for the lowest price, where most V8 buyers were less sensitive. That's why it;s rare to find a V6 with "all the options", but it's certainly not impossible.

Oddly enough, there seems to be a lot of Deigno V6 models, which makes no sense to me because if you want to talk about throwing your money away, Designo is the definition! While they look nice, IMHO, they really aren't worth the extra thousand$$$ just to get somewhat unique color combinations.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:46 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
My biggest use would be to lower the top from outside during hot days. If I buy I'll probably have to look for remote start, smarttop as well as whatever I need for the particular year I buy to get bluetooth and ipod activated. Seems like a lot to have to buy for a $60-$90some thousand car new.
I doubt you'll find an MBZ with remote start, and if you do, I wouldn't buy it because either (a) someone has hacked the crap out of the electronics or (b) there is an actual key "hidden" somewhere in the vehicle which makes it easy to steal.

As for the SmartTop, it's a ~$300 aftermarket device that takes about 30 minutes to install (assuming you are skilled in such things). I would not own a cabriolet without it! Manufacturers will never equip their vehicles with this capability simply because of the lawsuit attention - once the top is in motion, if someone is dumb enough to stick a body part into the path of the moving parts it will result in injury.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:18 AM

2010 Buick Enclave
All of those options were available on any CLK- 320, 500, 305, 550, 55-AMG, 63-AMG. Yes, it's rare to find a V6 with KeylessGo or Bi-Xenons, but it was certainly an option. 99% of vehicles were ordered by dealers who selected options to meet certain price points to maximize sales. They know that V6 buyers were typically looking for the lowest price, where most V8 buyers were less sensitive. That's why it;s rare to find a V6 with "all the options", but it's certainly not impossible.

Oddly enough, there seems to be a lot of Deigno V6 models, which makes no sense to me because if you want to talk about throwing your money away, Designo is the definition! While they look nice, IMHO, they really aren't worth the extra thousand$$$ just to get somewhat unique color combinations.
I found a V6 with all the options I mentioned. It's a 2008 with 31,000 miles, 3 months of warranty left for a great price of $28.7. I don't think it's designo but it does have 2 tone interior. I'm probably not going to buy it, but I probably should. Anyone need one?

Last edited by tallison24; 01-26-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:35 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
I am pretty sure that two-tone interiors were only available in the US with the Designo option. Keep in mind that all those pricey options depreciate in price much more quickly than the vehicle. As a new vehicle, a CLK350 with HID's, sport pkg, Deisgno, NAV and KeylessGo would be about 20% more expensive than a "base" model. However, on the used market, all these options wouldn't make a 10% difference in price.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:26 AM

2010 Buick Enclave
I am pretty sure that two-tone interiors were only available in the US with the Designo option. Keep in mind that all those pricey options depreciate in price much more quickly than the vehicle. As a new vehicle, a CLK350 with HID's, sport pkg, Deisgno, NAV and KeylessGo would be about 20% more expensive than a "base" model. However, on the used market, all these options wouldn't make a 10% difference in price.
Wouldn't bet more than a nickel but I beleve I saw some pics that had the Designo name stitched/embedded in the headrest. This car didn't have that. You've got me curious now, I'll have to search.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
06 Carrera4
Keyless go is absolutely fantastic to have IMHO.
very useful when going out to the car in the morning with stuff in your hands not have to worry about keys. jump in push go. fast and easy. forgot to close the sunroof or windows? not a problem press and hold the lock button on the handle for a few seconds and its closed.
Keyless go is also very good for women. when walking through unattended parking lot after dark no need for keys, jump in the car and go. much faster and keeps her safer.
Using remote to close or open top and windows works w/o keyless as well. the reason you have to be so close to the car for it to work is because of stupid American lawyers that will sue for anything and everything, they dont want anyone getting in the way when someone is operating it from a distance. they cut the range on the remote keys.
My 2001 c320 worked across the parking lot w/o issues. newer cars seem to have issues 2 feet away, very annoying.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:28 AM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Wouldn't bet more than a nickel but I beleve I saw some pics that had the Designo name stitched/embedded in the headrest. This car didn't have that. You've got me curious now, I'll have to search.
It's actually a metal medallion on seat, below the headrest, about shoulder-height. It's a fairly new addition and I'm pretty sure it came after the CLK production ended.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:45 AM

2005 CLK 500 cabriolet
It's actually a metal medallion on seat, below the headrest, about shoulder-height. It's a fairly new addition and I'm pretty sure it came after the CLK production ended.
Mine is a '05 and it is stitched into the headrest.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:48 AM

2010 Buick Enclave
I thought that was the CLK55/63 with the medallion at shoulder high. The pictures on autotrader don't show the back/headrest and the car is 1 hour away so not worth it to satisfy my curiosity. I did read the online 2008 CLK brochure and they didn't mention the Designo option. The interior I saw is called cappucino/black. The exterior, I believe, is Capri Blue. It is really, really, really a dark color.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:15 PM

2005 CLK 500 cabriolet
Here is an interior pic of mine. It is cappucino/sand. Can't really see the Designo logo, it is what i would call embossed into the leather instead of stiched. I even took a close-up and still doesn't show up.
Attached Thumbnails Keyless go advantages-4087542_0033.jpg  
Old 01-28-2012, 12:39 PM

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
2018 E43
I thought that was the CLK55/63 with the medallion at shoulder high. The pictures on autotrader don't show the back/headrest and the car is 1 hour away so not worth it to satisfy my curiosity. I did read the online 2008 CLK brochure and they didn't mention the Designo option. The interior I saw is called cappucino/black. The exterior, I believe, is Capri Blue. It is really, really, really a dark color.
I saw two cars when I was looking for mine that were some kind of special edition, which I seem to recall being named Grand Sport Edition. The interiors were dark brown/black with the dark silver exteriors with a different kind of wheel. My problem was that other than the color combo, there were no other redeeming features (and they were 350's). Not even HID lights.

Edit: I just looked and they were called the "grand edition"package. The coupe was palladium silver with tobacco brown/black with white stitching and the 'vert was diamond white. They had fender bades, but I did not see seat badges.

Last edited by Frank Rizzo; 01-28-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 179 Likes on 149 Posts
me: 2015 SL400 & 2015 ML400; wife: 2022 GLC Coupe kid: 2017 GLC SUV
Keyless Go disadvantage: valet wanders around restaurant looking for you because he realized he can't lock and won't be able to retrieve your car.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
We do not valet the clk....... too much temptation.

"I used to be a valet... I know what they are capable of"

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Keyless go advantages