CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Need advice on exhaust setup - '04 CLK500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 C230 kompressor & '08 R350 4Matic
Need advice on exhaust setup - '04 CLK500

Hi guys I am interested in getting a '04 CLK500 and perform some mods including quad exhaust tips (similar setup to member 2MCHCAR - Video). I've modified cars before but I am now married and just got my first boy! so I want to make sure that this setup is not annoying to rear-seats passengers. I am looking for a result that doesn't sound any louder/dronier than the stock C63 AMG.
Thanks
Old 01-30-2012, 10:24 AM

Also I just want to know if there's an AUX input in this model or an aftermarket iPhone kit? thanks again.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:49 AM

CLK 240 - 2003
Originally Posted by kattanh3
Also I just want to know if there's an AUX input in this model or an aftermarket iPhone kit? thanks again.
AUX input: open the glovebox, there should be a small drilled circle with an aux coming out, if not i guess it does not have an AUX output.

if you have command, you can take out the center console & attach an AUX to it fairly a 30 min job not more.

do some search concerning the audio, many topics including AUX & Bluetooth setups for instance are found.

Congrats on ur baby boy
Old 01-30-2012, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 CLK 320
exhaust is really based on personal opinion.

a majority of members can give you what they like but honestly, all vids and links do no justice to the sound of an exhaust based off camera quality, etc etc.

with that said, its all trial and error buddy. i guess you should start with taking out the res and seeing how you like that. if you want deeper, go with a mag or a borla. unless you are willing to drop cash into eisenmann, super sprint, etc.

personally going with a borla and res removal from the start and seeing where that will get me LOL
The following users liked this post:
Greg Horner (08-28-2020)
Old 01-30-2012, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
Hi guys I am interested in getting a '04 CLK500 and perform some mods including quad exhaust tips (similar setup to member 2MCHCAR - Video). I've modified cars before but I am now married and just got my first boy! so I want to make sure that this setup is not annoying to rear-seats passengers. I am looking for a result that doesn't sound any louder/dronier than the stock C63 AMG.
Thanks
I suggest if you going to leave your boy in the back DO NOT do anything to the exhaust. I dont care what setup( i've seen alot of set up on this board) you going to have but it will be too loud " for the boy" if you know what i mean.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by boull
AUX input: open the glovebox, there should be a small drilled circle with an aux coming out, if not i guess it does not have an AUX output.

if you have command, you can take out the center console & attach an AUX to it fairly a 30 min job not more.

do some search concerning the audio, many topics including AUX & Bluetooth setups for instance are found.

Congrats on ur baby boy
Thanks Boull, I found it.

Originally Posted by bheng
exhaust is really based on personal opinion.

a majority of members can give you what they like but honestly, all vids and links do no justice to the sound of an exhaust based off camera quality, etc etc.

with that said, its all trial and error buddy. i guess you should start with taking out the res and seeing how you like that. if you want deeper, go with a mag or a borla. unless you are willing to drop cash into eisenmann, super sprint, etc.

personally going with a borla and res removal from the start and seeing where that will get me LOL
Actually this reminds me of something, I had a 2nd Gen Lexus IS300 Asia Specs (called 250/350 here) and it sound drony as hell even with quality parts (Fabolous axle-back, Megan Racing mid-pipes). Adding quality headers (from JUN) made all the difference in the world, the car had a much deeper note and higher flow (less back pressure == it would rev back faster) and there was no drone at all.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kattanh3/5363115521/
Originally Posted by M-bENZ
I suggest if you going to leave your boy in the back DO NOT do anything to the exhaust. I dont care what setup( i've seen alot of set up on this board) you going to have but it will be too loud " for the boy" if you know what i mean.
That's certainly true Andy. I am just after the quad tips I guess, but then again I don't want to be running unconnected pipes... that can become embarrassing in cold weather.

One setup that I haven't came across is to leave the OEM setup as is (except for the exhaust tips) and to create a Y pipe just before the muffler with a QTP electric cutout connected to dual tips from around the spare wheel barrel. This way you can sound completely stock for when the little fella is on board, or with the flick of a button you can completely bypass the muffler or pick anything in between.

Here's my rendering of the before and after:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kattanh3/6795171607/

Last edited by kattanh3; 01-31-2012 at 08:37 AM.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
See post 28;

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...-clk500-2.html

Something very simple like that (regardless of the muffler type you choose) will work for quads and depending on the choice of muffler, won't add any volume or drone.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:35 AM

Those are ideal Kev, thanks! the tips are even more OEM-like than the ones I found... but way too pricy, $2k just doesn't make sense, plus it is difficult to be certain of the outcome in terms of exhaust note... I'll just run similar piping from the muffler and add tips for now.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
I'll just run similar piping from the muffler and add tips for now.
Yep, that's exactly what I was getting at, you can do this yourself very easily. "Drag-pipe" method.
Old 01-16-2020, 04:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'03 CLK500, '13 E350
Hey sorry for the necro but can you explain this please? I clicked your link but it doesn't make sense to me (I couldn't find where it talks about how to do the drag-pipe method). Are you saying you can run a pipe from the muffler to the other side of the bumper for a quad exhaust to get around the issues with the spare wheel well? I took mine to a custom exhaust shop a few years ago and they said it was pretty much undoable to run a quad exhaust in my 03 clk500. I don't mind if the flow isn't very good to the right tips of the exhaust, as long as it doesn't impact reliability of the car which I don't think it would (I care more about aesthetics/reliability than performance). However I don't want to install tips that aren't hooked up to anything as I don't want to come off as a poser. Sorry if this has been explained elsewhere, I tried to search the forums for it for awhile now but couldn't find it.
Old 01-17-2020, 02:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts
2008 clk550 - Navigator - Frontier
Kevwood has not been active for quite awhile.
You can run a pipe from the exit of the OE muffler to the other side. I did this on my car several years ago. It was not a good experience. The pipe bridge will resonate and create weird sounds in the car. Mine sounded like a chicken house with angry chickens. You could use a smaller diameter pipe for the bridge. Mine was a straight run from the OE muffler exit and ran between the trunk well and the bumper. I do not recommend doing this...

You could also do what Kevwood did and replace the OE muffler with a single in/dual out camaro type (input and 1 exit on one end and 1 exit on the other end) and run the pipe across the front of the trunk well to the other side and along the trunk well. You can use 2" or 2.25" pipe to help with the routing. I think this is the best route if you're not creating a true dual exhaust.
Old 01-17-2020, 08:25 PM

'03 CLK500, '13 E350
Thanks for the heads up! I wont go with it then. I'd love a dual/quad exhaust and a diffuser so maybe one day I'll do it like Kevwood did, but for now it'll have to wait. Sad he doesn't post anymore, used to love his posts back when I used to lurk a lot. I remember reading about his expat life in Dubai, thought it was so cool. Anyways thanks again
Old 01-27-2020, 02:07 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
2004 CLK 500
I did a couple of different setups on my car from just removing the rear muffler to removing the muffler , resonator and rear cats . Here is the thing . The main sound suppression is in the muffler . If you remove the resonator and leave the muffler you will get nothing out of it . Here is what you can do that's cheap and will make it great since you have kids . I would get an exhaust cutout on Ebay you need 2.5 and 1 only . Have it installed before the rear muffler and run a pipe from there to create the Quad exhaust look . When you want to go all out you can open it and get the sound and when you are with you family you can close it . it works off a remote control and its easy to install .
SkywardOne (01-27-2020)
Old 01-27-2020, 06:15 PM

CLK500
I just picked up a 06' CLK500 today. I'm super stoked about the car. The first thing my friend said was it would sound better with an exhaust upgrade. I love the idea #irocdastar had, but wouldn't you need a new rear bumper for the quad tips? At least for me that might make it cost prohibitive for now.
Old 01-27-2020, 08:17 PM

'03 CLK500, '13 E350
You could cut the bumper you have now SkywardOne. It seems like a pretty easy DIY, though I've never done it.

I'm not sure I would ever want it as loud as it would be without a muffler irokdastar, and since when it is closed off there would be no flow through it it wouldn't solve my problem of looking like it's just fake tips in cold weather when you can see the exhaust is only coming out one side. Although it is really cool how you can make it really loud when you want but still not have your neighbors hate you haha
SkywardOne (01-27-2020)
Old 01-28-2020, 04:47 PM

2004 CLK 500
At first I cut the bumper see the video I had uploaded . BTW this set up was no muffler no resonator but added 2 12 " glass packs . After I redid the exhaust i sprung for a carbon fiber rear Diffuser .

Diffuser : https://www.ebay.com/itm/FR-Design-D...QAAOSwXXxZSgsf
Old 01-28-2020, 04:53 PM

2004 CLK 500

This is how I have my setup . I have the cutouts put right behind the transmission where both sides come together . Then I have it going to an X pipe then a dual in dual out muffler . If you want to get a low sound when the valves are closed get a quite muffler . I don't have the secondary cats btw

Last edited by irokdastar; 01-28-2020 at 04:56 PM.