CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Any way to increase seat fan cooling?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 04:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clk 350 Convertible
Any way to increase seat fan cooling?

I mean without replacing the seat itself.

Is there a replacement fan that is more efficient?

I have a 2008 clk350 convertible with a heat/fan contour seat I bought out of an 09 and had installed. The contour was the important upgrade as I had heat, but the fan was a bonus.

Now that its hooked up and working, it doesn't feel like its doing much.
Any suggestions for improvements?

Thanks,
Dan
Old 06-11-2012, 08:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts
2008 CLK550 Cab
Pretty lame, isn't it? I've never seen anybody suggest an improvement. I doubt any real improvement is possible because of how it works. The air has to be forced through the tiny holes in the leather, so those would have to be some seriously powerful fans before you'd feel any meaningful difference. Only maybe 15% of 550s have it, and of that 15% I'd bet about 10% ever bother with it.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:34 AM

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
2018 E43
/rant on...From your lips to God's ears....

totally useless option. Im glad I got mine CPO because if I paid near $1k large for this option...I'd be pissed!

I've taken my car to the dealer under warranty to complain that the fan was not working and got to talk to the tech that specialized in seats. It turns out that they had to replace one of the upper bladders in the contour seat, but I talked to him about the cooling and he basically said that this is the way it works. If you listen carefully you can hear the fan run, but there is no output. this is the way they are designed it... I thought my VW was weak, but this is really nothing more than blue lights on a button in the dash.

On my Buddies Escalade and my Brother's Lincoln, your butt gets seriously cold. On my MBZ, it is nothing. If it makes you feel any better, my boss just got a new 2012 E350 'vert. I helped him order it, so it is fully loaded - including the contour and cooled seats. They don't work any better than ours

I like the way if you leave the car sitting in the sun, when you start the car - the seat coolers start automatically...like they actually do something... /end rant.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 CLK 320
Originally Posted by dspevack

I have a 2008 clk350 convertible with a heat/fan contour seat I bought out of an 09 and had installed. The contour was the important upgrade as I had heat, but the fan was a bonus.
Not to go too far off topic, but if I am reading you right, you retrofitted seats from an 09 to your 08 (or had it done) Was it a big job? Where did you source the seats?

My car doesn't have heated or cooled seats. I am more interested in the heating part and had considered a retro fit. I presume the wiring is already there.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:40 PM

Clk 350 Convertible
I sourced the seat used from ebay and had the source send me the upper control panel which had the buttons on it. You will need that panel. I don't know if the wires for heated seats are there in a car built without them. The wires for the cooling were not. Also wiring probably has to go from switch to a SAM module that is in your car, and then to the seat, and the SAM has to be programmed at the dealer. I can't tell you how big a job it is. If you are going to source replacement seats though, find the multicontour seat. It wont be a big increase in price and its worth the expense in avoided back pain. You'll also need the pump and hose system for the bladder inflation of the seat, that you should be able to source from the same donor car.

Last edited by dspevack; 06-12-2012 at 03:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
FeelThePower (04-28-2016)
Old 06-12-2012, 04:08 PM

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
09 CLK550
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...anymore-3.html

+ these fans:
http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...850528?cur=USD
(4 lead, but you only need black/red. I snipped the others)

+ 4" PVC piping cut into a 1/2" thick ring. Helps give some room between the fan blades and the seat back.

I've done both seats in my car like that. The upper 2 fans in the seat back.
If your back is sweating is helps. Otherwise, its still not a huge improvement.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:07 PM

Clk 350 Convertible
Thanks for the thread link.
Looks like everyone is modding the back but not the bottom.
Nice to know that the air is blowing the wrong way too <G>.

You've given me the information I need to move forward.
Just one question.
I noticed the fans you used are PWM.
Is their any significance or value to that?
Thanks,

Dan
Old 06-12-2012, 08:18 PM

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
09 CLK550
Seems the bottom is a pain to get to. I only did the back rests on mine.

My fans are set to blow air towards my back.

PWM doesn't matter, I snipped those wires off. Voltage is controlled by the dash switch. You can probably use a 80 or 92mm computer fan if you have some around. Its just a 12v fan.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts
2008 CLK550 Cab
Pretty interesting thread about the fan mod. Its' awonder I never stumbled across that before. I'd like to feel the difference but don't care enought to actually do it I guess.