CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

I Tried a Different Cabriolet Top Cleaner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 11:31 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,004 Likes on 872 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
I Tried a Different Cabriolet Top Cleaner

I've tried several cleaners and protectors for my cabriolet top and have never been really happy with any of them. The cleaners all seem to be about the same - a weak soap/detergent solution that you brush into the top, then wash off. The protectors also seem to be about the same, pretty much a version of 3M Scotchgard.

I've tried Ragg Top and Griot's system. I like the cleaner from Griot's - it's just their generic interior/fabric cleaner but it seems to be very light so as not to build up or leave any residue in the fabric. It's also great on the interior and leaves no chemical odors.

Anyhow, I was at a clearance sale and found this for $1.00:

Amazon.com: Granger Tent Care Kit (Tent Cleaner & Tent Waterproofer): Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: Granger Tent Care Kit (Tent Cleaner & Tent Waterproofer): Sports & Outdoors

The cleaner seems to be the usual mixture, but the protector is much different. It really seems to last and causes water to bead. I know that water beading is not necessarily important to waterproofing since the real water barrier is laminated under the fabric, but I figure beading water means less dirt is getting into the fabric. My only complaint is that the first week after application, it left a residue on the rear windshield whenever I'd fold the top, but it wiped off easily. Anyhow, here are the results after a month:

Old 11-13-2012, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 178 Likes on 145 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Looks good!

I have little experience with the cab fabric tops. A friend has a new E Class cab with a light beige roof. Any advice on removing greeny coloured stains from bird droppings?
Old 11-13-2012, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W209
Two experts asking questions to each other

You guys will solve it on your own i guess
Old 11-13-2012, 07:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts
2008 CLK550 Cab
Glyn, I'd try an oxygen cleaner and a soft brush - like a paint brush. I highly recommend Armor All OxiMagic carpet and upholsterly cleaner, available in the US at most auto parts stores. That stuff is so amazing it's the only trip my wife ever makes to an auto parts store - to use it on laundry. If you spill red wine on a white carpet, just spray it on and watch it disappear.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:14 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Compared to a paint brush, the one I use to clean my top is much more stiff. It came with the kit I bought from Griots. It's basically a carpet and upholstery cleaning brush:

http://griotsgarage.scene7.com/s7ond...=580&sku=15585

I work mine pretty hard. Not hard enough to hurt the fabric, but enough to get the cleaner into it.

One thing that really impressed me with the tent protector was that not only does the water bead, when you brush it off with your hand, the top is totally dry. I guess it's primary job is waterproofing, which it does very well. Oh, and you can't beat the price - I paid only $1, but it's only $20 at Amazon.

Now, my biggest problem with the top is the shiny spots that come from having it folded in the trunk and rubbing against itself. I've tried scrubbing a little harder in these areas to re-lift the nap, but it does no good. If it weren't for that, my top would look brand new.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

Received 178 Likes on 145 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Thanks guys! Makes sense. I will try an "Oxi" cleaner.

Can Scotchgard or similar provide protection in high UV conditions?
Old 11-15-2012, 02:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 CLK 500 cab
Originally Posted by Rudeney
Now, my biggest problem with the top is the shiny spots that come from having it folded in the trunk and rubbing against itself.
I've had the same experience with RaggTopp's spray protectant but I think it was caused by too heavy an application. The last time I cleaned the top -- I use a wheel sponge -- I put on just one thin coat of protectant and the shiny spots haven't returned. I vacuum the top regularly, using the cleaner and protectant just twice a year, and don't wash it when I do the rest of the car.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:41 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
The shiny spots on mine aren't from the cleaner, but from the top itself being abraded when folded. It's a common problem - I see it on almost all the fabric cabriolet tops on all makes and models. Mine is noticeable, but not as bad as my friend's Saab - his top looks like it's had bleach spilled on it, but it's just the shine from abrasion.