CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

A/C recirculation button working only for 20 minutes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 500
A/C recirculation button working only for 20 minutes

Hi all. I just bought a used CLK 500 2004 and got some "issues". One of them is the 12v Cigarette Lighter/ Source 12v. It's not working. What do you guys think it could be? Only a simple fuse? Which one?
The other "problem"is the a/c recirculation button. Normally I leave it on in all my cars. When I press it on my CLK it works only for 20..30 minutes. Is it purposeful so this way the air can be renovated or it shouldn't happen? My last issue is the rear speakers. They are not working.Is there any fuse to be checked? Any function to turn them on/off?

Thank you guys so much for helping me and sorry about my english( Im brazilian lol).

Best Regards
Ricardo
Old 11-19-2012, 12:15 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,003 Likes on 871 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
For the lighter, check fuse #47 (on the front SAM, under the hood).

After about 30 minutes in recirculation mode, you should begin to get a mix of outside air. This is a safety feature to prevent a buildup of fumes inside the cabin.

There is no fuse just for the rear speakers. The only way to turn them off is via the radio's fader controls. I assume your car has the Bose system? If so, it has an amp located inside the trunk. Maybe there is a wiring harness that is disconnected from the speakers, or it could be a bad amp.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:32 PM

CLK 500
Originally Posted by Rudeney
For the lighter, check fuse #47 (on the front SAM, under the hood).

After about 30 minutes in recirculation mode, you should begin to get a mix of outside air. This is a safety feature to prevent a buildup of fumes inside the cabin.

There is no fuse just for the rear speakers. The only way to turn them off is via the radio's fader controls. I assume your car has the Bose system? If so, it has an amp located inside the trunk. Maybe there is a wiring harness that is disconnected from the speakers, or it could be a bad amp.

Thank you so much, Rudeney! Are you brazilian?

So, the recirculation mode "issue" is not a problem with my car. It happens to all CLK,isn't it?

Yep, the speakers are Bose. I will check the amp to see if there is any problem.

Cheers

Ricardo
Old 11-19-2012, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Originally Posted by ricardovasco
So, the recirculation mode "issue" is not a problem with my car. It happens to all CLK,isn't it?
Ricardo
It happens with all CLK's.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:53 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Nope, I'm not Brazilian - just a dumb old redneck guy from Alabama (USA).
Old 11-22-2012, 09:00 PM

CLK 500
Hi all. Now I really got a problem. The a/c is crazy. The right size is a little cold ( not enough) but the left side is too hot. I tried to reset pressing the recirculation + front windshield defrost button and it doesn't work. I bought the car 10 days ago and the a/c was not ok. I re-gas the a/c and it was ok ( not good but ok). I combine with the store I bought that if its a big problem they would pay for that. So, what do you guys think it is? What should I do first? Any idea about what it should be?

Thank you all.

Ricardo
Old 11-22-2012, 09:26 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
It sounds like you have a refrigerant leak - left side hot and right side cool is typical of low refrigerant. You're probably going to need someone with proper gauges and leak detection equipment to find and fix it. Also, anytime there has been a sever leak or if the system is opened, the dryer needs to be replaced. Don't overcharge the system or else you run the risk of damaging the compressor.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:45 PM

CLK 500
Originally Posted by Rudeney
It sounds like you have a refrigerant leak - left side hot and right side cool is typical of low refrigerant. You're probably going to need someone with proper gauges and leak detection equipment to find and fix it. Also, anytime there has been a sever leak or if the system is opened, the dryer needs to be replaced. Don't overcharge the system or else you run the risk of damaging the compressor.
Thanks Rodney. Do you think its a "simple"problem or maybe I do need to replace the a/c compressor or something like that? I've seen a lot of people complaining about the MAF. Could it be the problem?

Thanks
Old 11-23-2012, 01:07 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Uh, MAF has nothing to do with the A/C system. As for it being a simple problem or something bigger, it's hard to say without hands-on diagnosis. I think you might need to get an experienced A/C mechanic to look at it.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:44 PM

CLK 500
Thanks Rodney. Im newbie so don't take my words too seriously LOL.

Today the a/c works a little better. The left side which had only hot air yesterday got some "cold"air . However its far from a perfect climate. Do you think it can be something bigger like a compressor problem? I mean, if it was the compressor the air shouldn't be cold anymore, isn't it?
Old 11-23-2012, 11:56 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Apparently, the dual-zone climate control has something to do with this. A common complaint when the A/C system is not working well is that the left side blows warmer air than the right, even when both sides are set to "max cold". This happened on my C240 and it was solved by adding about half a pound of refrigerant (not unexpected after 10 years). However, if that doesn't fix it, then you probably have either a larger leak, or, your system is not working well, and that can be due to many different problems that requires hands-on diagnostics.