CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Cheap bluetooth solution and dashcam hardwire

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 500 2005
Cheap bluetooth solution and dashcam hardwire

Hi All,

First time posting here. Just want to contribute back to the forum. I've done tons of research through this forum that allowed me to hardwire a bluetooth and a dashcam on my 05 CLK500.

1. Cheap bluetooth solution. Costs ~$70 to ~150 (depending if you have an AUX already installed)

The round MB logo that you see there is the BT device hardwired. Its a Belkin BT carkit that you can get on Amazon or ebay, i just slapped a sticker on it to cover up the Belkin logo. This device lets me connect to my iPhone, play music/make calls (only works if you can use "Aux input" mode when you hold down the "CDC" button).

2. Dashcam hardwired. Costs ~$150 (cost of the dashcam)

The dashcam is hardwired to the overhead unit. I tapped into the power for the moonroof and grounded it to a bolt attached to the frame of the car. However, i do suggest pulling a wire to the cig power to get a more stable power source.
I got a dashcam because some a-hole sideswiped me and sped off and got away, no witnesses. Now atleast I have a camera to catch the license plate.

I know these two subjects have been discussed in this forum before, but if anyone is interested in how I did it, just reply here and I'll do a write-up.
Attached Thumbnails Cheap bluetooth solution and dashcam hardwire-bt.jpg   Cheap bluetooth solution and dashcam hardwire-dc.jpg  
Old 04-29-2013, 09:49 PM

2013 SL550, 2006 E320 CDI
I am interested in the BT option. I do have the aux input. Kinda jealous of my wife's new Sentra, she has BT and I don't.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:57 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,004 Likes on 872 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
A better wiring solution would be to uses one of these on the cabin fuse panel, then run the wire up the A-pillar (it's what I did for my BT speaker):

Old 04-29-2013, 10:33 PM

CLK 500 2005
Rodney, that looks like a good solution for my dashcamera. I never used one of these fuse power thing before. Does it have a connection to both the power and the ground wires? Whats the voltage output of it?
Thanks
Old 04-29-2013, 11:23 PM

CLK 500 2005
This is the write up for the Belkin BT device. I apologize I don't have alot of pictures because everything is already connected and tucked in.

The hard part of this process is to get the wirings in place. Theres 2 parts to getting the Belkin BT to work. The Power and the AUX.

AUX
1. Check your glove compartment right hand corner to see if you have the AUX input installed. If not, you need to make a trip to MB parts department to get this cable. Frankly, i don't get why MB doesn't have this pre-wired. The cable will cost anywhere from $40-$65.
2. Then follow the instructions (pictures included) from this link. This is a 10 min install.
3. Get an AUX cable extender ($1-3). One side male, one side female. It needs to be long enough to stretch from the glove compartment to the center compartment.
4. As you can see from the picture above, the wires needs to go through these tiny holes at the bottom. What I did was cut the AUX cable in half so that I can fit the wires through that tiny hole.
5. Once its through, reconnect the previously cut AUX cable. The AUX cable has two layers, make sure you insulate each layer well with electric tape, or else you'll hear static from your BT device.
6. Then tuck in the cable nicely along the side to hide the wiring.

Power
1. The BT device from Belkin uses a cig charger (from pictures above), so i bought a female cig charger (cost $2-5).
2. I also pulled the wire through the holes on the bottom of the center compartment.
3. Most people would tap the power from the cig charger in the front, but I tapped it from the cig charger in the back seat.
4. Connecting the power and the ground to the cig charger in the back seat can get tricky because there's not alot of space. BE EXTRA CAREFUL that you don't mix up the power and the ground, you will fry your BT device, or something worse if you get it mixed up. Usually the wire with a black stripe is the ground. Cover any open wires up with electric tape.

Now, position your BT device and plug in the AUX and the car charger and your good to go. The BT device will turn on when you start your car, simply press the button and it'll sync with your phone. BT will turn off when you take the keys out. If you have Siri, it'll work with that too.
Attached Thumbnails Cheap bluetooth solution and dashcam hardwire-bt01.jpg   Cheap bluetooth solution and dashcam hardwire-bt02.jpg  
Old 05-01-2013, 02:09 PM

2013 SL550, 2006 E320 CDI
Thanks, that confirms a solution that had crossed my mind and how to do it practically. I searched for the Belkin BT and found quite a few additional options with features like auto connect. How well does the mic pick up in that location? I have a convertible so that may actually help with the top down. Also, where did you get the logo sticker? Nice touch.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:30 PM

CLK 500 2005
Thanks =) i got the MB sticker on ebay awhile ago for other purposes, never used it until now. Unfortunately I cant find it online anymore.

I use the BT daily for 5 months now, haven't had any complaints from anyone about the call quality. People did mention to me that it sounds like im slightly far away, but quality is still good.

Trending Topics

Old 05-01-2013, 08:58 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Originally Posted by renraw
Rodney, that looks like a good solution for my dashcamera. I never used one of these fuse power thing before. Does it have a connection to both the power and the ground wires? Whats the voltage output of it?
Thanks
Basically, this allows you to remove an existing fuse (though if you have a suitable empty fuse slot, you can use that). The bottom slot is for the fuse your removed. The top slot is the fuse for the pigtail that you then use for your new device. I am sure there is an overall rating on the device, but I suppose it can handle as much amperage as the fuse slot it taps into. You will still have to pickup a ground, but if you are coming out of the cabin fuse panel, there are at least two really good grounds on screws right there.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 179 Likes on 149 Posts
me: 2015 SL400 & 2015 ML400; wife: 2022 GLC Coupe kid: 2017 GLC SUV
Nice write-up! I assume the HU and MFD just say "aux input" when using the BT?
Old 05-03-2013, 08:49 PM

CLK 500 2005
Yup, it'll only show "aux input"
Old 05-04-2013, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
Originally Posted by Rudeney
A better wiring solution would be to uses one of these on the cabin fuse panel, then run the wire up the A-pillar (it's what I did for my BT speaker):

What do u call that fuse ? Fuse holder? Lol
Old 05-04-2013, 11:43 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
"Fuse tap" - you can get them at most auto parts stores:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...hTerm=fuse+tap
Old 05-05-2013, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
Thank you Sir!