CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

SRS Malfunction Indicator on

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK200 K Cabriolet
SRS Malfunction Indicator on

Coincidence or not, after changing the rear tyre, when staring the car I got the SRS Malfunction message, visit workshop. Had a quick check with some mechanics . They stated after diagnosing
"Resistance of ignition circuit with component airbag ignition squib: Driver side (R12/9). Too Large"

Apparently this points to the rear driver side airbag in the side panel.

Anyone with any experience in solving these. Appreciate your replies!
Thanks!
Old 08-23-2013, 06:15 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
E 450 4matic cab MY22
In my 2009 clk350 this SRS malfunction was the result firs of a bad connector under the drivers seat, and then later the same connectors under the passenger seat. I believe these connectors were sub standard from the factory. The replacement connectors were much better made. They charged way too much to install them. Had I know, I could have done the same job with some diagonal cutters and a soldering gun.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:59 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
This is the seat-mounted sidebag. There is a wire that runs from the seat controller (under the seat cushion) through the hinge point and up into the seat back. There is insufficient slack in the wireing harness so when you fold the seat forward for rear seat access, it can cause a loose connection. The solution is to remove the seat back panel and "manipulate" the wiring harness from the controller to the sidebag to give it a bit more slack.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:27 PM

O4 CLK 320
Originally Posted by Rudeney
This is the seat-mounted sidebag. There is a wire that runs from the seat controller (under the seat cushion) through the hinge point and up into the seat back. There is insufficient slack in the wireing harness so when you fold the seat forward for rear seat access, it can cause a loose connection. The solution is to remove the seat back panel and "manipulate" the wiring harness from the controller to the sidebag to give it a bit more slack.
boy do I have work to do....guess ill tackle my SRS issue when I do my stereo....and my rear window regulator......

Can't wait till I get this puppy looking like it should.....
Old 08-24-2013, 11:05 PM

CLK200 K Cabriolet
Originally Posted by 2150john
In my 2009 clk350 this SRS malfunction was the result firs of a bad connector under the drivers seat, and then later the same connectors under the passenger seat. I believe these connectors were sub standard from the factory. The replacement connectors were much better made. They charged way too much to install them. Had I know, I could have done the same job with some diagonal cutters and a soldering gun.
Thanks I shall try and check this
Old 08-24-2013, 11:10 PM

CLK200 K Cabriolet
Originally Posted by Rudeney
Thanks Rudeney! Will try to check this out!
Old 08-25-2013, 12:49 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
FYI, even if you fix the strained wiring harness, you'll need a proper diagnostic tool to reset the SRS error - it doesn't go away on its own. SDS is the standard, but there are a few other high-end tools that will do it. A generic OBDII scanner won't work - it doesn't talk to the SDS system.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:29 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
85 911 Targa
Question SRS Connector Failure

Sorry to bring up this old thread.

My wife's 05 CLK320 Cabrio recently thru a SRS light, my Wrench isolated it to the Side Air Bag connector, the lock in tabs were broken off probably due to lack of sufficient slack on the wiring.

Have any of you guys with this "strained wiring", fix your issue by moving the wiring around?

Also anyone know where I can get a replacement connector, glue it or shall I resort to Pick your Part? Dealer will not sell the repair kit to my indie Benz shop, freakin basturds,

Jim

Last edited by DRACO; 03-02-2016 at 12:35 AM.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:41 PM

85 911 Targa
Update:

So, I took the back panel off the passenger side, no yellow connector to the side airbag but there is a Green one with Orange lock.

Yeap, definitely sloppy.

Must be all the times Step-son goes in and out hitting the lower cover off with his monkey feet and inadvertently pulling on the wire. DAMN IT!

Any how, the wire seems to have enough slack if you don't snag on it but I can see how the connector could get loose. I took it apart half way then chickened out when I saw a coiled resistor with very fine soldering.

So I decided to MacGyver it and use some left over grey felt from a velcro kit and place it at the seam between the AirBag Connection and the Plug itself. The fit is nice a snug now and not jiggling around which may be throwing false positive readings to the SRS ECU.

Here is the fix ( hopefully ) going to shop to have the light reset.

SRS Malfunction Indicator on-img_22331_zpsvptinonz.jpg

For preventive measures I also placed it on the driver side.

SRS Malfunction Indicator on-img_22341_zps81pzfffi.jpg

Last edited by DRACO; 03-03-2016 at 12:09 AM.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:27 PM

85 911 Targa
WooHoo!

Wrench states system check Good to Go, no faults and we slammed the seat down several times to try to make if fail. All Good, he was in dis-belief the felt trick worked. He is a believer now :-)

Hope it will help others with same issues.

J
Old 03-04-2016, 04:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 CLK350
re: resetting the MIL, the iCarsoft scanner costs about $100-$120 and it will read and reset ALL CODES. I bought one on ebay for $100 and it does the job. It is a dedicated MBZ scanner but them make them for BMW and more. I have the same issue with my SRS MIL and it does reset that along with some other codes I have been carrying around for some time because my OBDll scanner didn't read them. Worth the $100 IMHO.

This is the one I bought

Last edited by Patton001; 03-04-2016 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:47 PM

85 911 Targa
Oh very cool. Lucky for me my Indie Wrench is my close friend :-). So it is Gratis.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:30 PM

85 911 Targa
Update: 5 days, later. So far so good :-)