CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Planning to go Quad Exhaust!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
None for now
I might either go with the Borla 400286 used in sleepyheadzzz's exhaust or the Magnaflow 11385, still debating.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:27 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2009 clk-350 (Black) AMG, 2009 clk-550 (Pewter) AMG
sleepy preferred the magnaflow, fyi
Old 09-18-2013, 11:15 AM

have my magnaflow exhaust and x pipe. all i need is resonators and tips!
Old 09-18-2013, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

None for now
Originally Posted by omega48er
have my magnaflow exhaust and x pipe. all i need is resonators and tips!
Are you planning on taking off the secondary cats and replacing it with an X pipe? What part # is your magnaflow and where are you getting your tips? Thanks
Old 09-18-2013, 02:27 PM

Im following the setup that FATZ did (the same one i mentioned in my 1st post) with the exception of the Headers and primary cats. i will be getting the headers, but idk when.

So. its Stock Headers-> stock primary cats=> Vibrant 1792(replace stock 2nd cats)=> x-pipe (equalize the pressure before it enters the muffler, not needed because the muffler is an x pipe within itself but i just decided to go with it. lol)=> Magnaflow 11385=> AMG TIPS.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

None for now
Originally Posted by omega48er
Im following the setup that FATZ did (the same one i mentioned in my 1st post) with the exception of the Headers and primary cats. i will be getting the headers, but idk when.

So. its Stock Headers-> stock primary cats=> Vibrant 1792(replace stock 2nd cats)=> x-pipe (equalize the pressure before it enters the muffler, not needed because the muffler is an x pipe within itself but i just decided to go with it. lol)=> Magnaflow 11385=> AMG TIPS.
With those vibrant resonators in place of the stock 2nd cats you won't pass the smog right?
Old 09-18-2013, 02:47 PM

IDK if this makes a difference

AB 2289 - New Smog Check Law effective 01/01/2013
Hello California folks,

To some of you, this might be of any concern, but I am just posting this for your information only.
AB 2289 - New Smog Check Law

Set to begin January 01, 2013; Model year 2000 and newer vehicles will no longer require the tailpipe emissions test portion of the smog check process. AB 2289 will require late model vehicles be administered the smog check's visual and functional tests only.

The implementation of AB 2289 is expected to reduce the time and cost of the smog check. The program will now take better advantage of a vehicle's OBD II technology by eliminating tailpipe testing and instead using the vehicle's own OBD II emissions monitoring system.

This new smog test system is already in place in 22 other states. "This new and improved program will have the same result as taking 800,000 old cars off the road, also resulting in a more cost effective program for California motorists." said ARB Chairman, Mary D. Nichols.

Currently California's smog check procedure requires all vehicles undergo a tailpipe emissions inspection to measure harmful pollutant output from the tailpipe, a visual inspection for present and properly installed emissions components, a functional test to insure the proper operation of various emission components; and as part of the functional test, an OBD II computer diagnostic check.

Under AB 2289, the tailpipe emissions portion of the smog inspection will be eliminated for 2000 model and newer cars, trucks, vans, and SUVs.
Background on the OBD II system - All vehicles imported into the United States as of 1996 have had to be equipped with an On Board Diagnostics system referred to as OBD II. The OBD II diagnostic system is designed to monitor all aspects of your engine's emission conditions and report this information to a central database within it's computer. This information is processed and checked against the computers pre-determined values for various input levels and performance patterns.

If any problems are found, the computer will determine whether to alert the driver or not. If a decision has been made to alert the driver of an emissions problem, the "Check Engine" or "Engine Malfunction" light will illuminate on the vehicle's dashboard. In more serious emission conditions the computer may even begin to rapidly flash the "Check Engine/Malfunction" light indicating to the driver, that the vehicle needs immediate diagnosis/repair attention.
AB 2289 now requires the smog test inspection to rely on data from a vehicle's own on board emissions computer to determine the vehicle's harmful emissions production as opposed to using a smog machine to sample the vehicle's emissions output from the tailpipe. This design is expected to reduce the cost of equipment at the smog station, reduce the amount of time it takes to smog check a vehicle, and reduce the cost of the smog inspection to the consumer.

AB 2289 - Makes changes to the following smog inspection procedures and guidelines:
A. Authorize the use of On Board Diagnostic II testing to expedite the process.

B. Vehicles known to release large amounts of pollution must test at stations with the highest performance ratings.

C. Stricter fines structure for improper inspections.

D. Permit the state to contract with the private sector to manage franchise-like networks of independently owned Smog Check stations.
E. Encourage community colleges and other training institutions to develop technician-training programs.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

None for now
So it's not necessary to check for emissions on 2000 and newer? I probably won't take off my 2nd cats though. Just Magnaflow 11385 in place of resonator and dual pipes and some nice AMG tips.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 Volvo S40, 2006 Hummer H3, 2008 CLK550
I had both Magnaflow and Borla

Hey I had the pleasure of having both borla and magnaflows on my car.

The borla definitely had a nice aggressive growl and also a deep tone...
however I guess I drove the car too hard....the inner lining in the muffler burned up...so whenever I accelerated at low rpm...I could hear this metal tingling noise from the exhaust which sounded horrible....The exhaust guy told me it was from too much heat...my engine was a 550 with OEtuning and sprint booster...Im not sure if the OEtuning chip caused hotter temp causing the inner lining to to burn up...or if it was just from long term usage...I only had it on for 10,000 miles ..when I say burn up I don't mean there was a FIRE in my muffler...just the internal parts kinda got melted from the heat...I would have asked borla for a replacement for warranty but just too lazy to bother with it...

..I then changed to the magnaflow...I got the skinnier magnaflow dual in dual out...because I was afraid the fatter one won't fit in that groove..there are 2 kinds
the Magnaflow part number that I got was 12468...I didn't want to get the fatter one I was afraid it would be installed outside of the groove and scratch the floor as my car was very low.

The sound is also VERY good...in terms of loudness. I would have to say they are comparable...some ppl think the magnaflow is a lil quieter...but the sound is really based on the size of the muffler...as the smaller magnaflow is almost the same size as the borla...the loudness was the same...

IF ur looking for a throaty sound its definitely borla...when you start up and rev...it sounds like the devil clearin his throat....SOO AWESOME...LOL

but then I gave the car to my dad with the magnaflow on and he thought it was too loud...so I installed 2 long resonators about 16" after the magnaflow muffler and it quieted down a lot...although it definitely didn't feel as powerful...it quieted it down a lot...and the sound was nice...

in the end both exhaust sound nice....but the borla just had a more aggressive sound...both exhaust systems turn a lot of heads

Originally Posted by kb24forlife24
Hello,
I have finally decided to go and change my exhaust to a quad exhaust setup. I have been reading all the threads related to this topic and have gathered some questions that I need to get answered before I start purchasing the parts. I have the AMG bumper (2005 CLK500) and currently just have a muffler delete with standard dual tips that I got at the muffler shop. I want to have 2 dual tips to have the quad look. What should I do to get it to sound throaty and have growl, without touching the primary or secondary cats? Should I look for the tips first so I can let the body shop know where to cut (also where is a good place that I can get good AMG style tips like the CLK63)? Do I have to get a diffuser or will it look ugly without one? Should I remove the resonator and place a Magnaflow muffler there or just straight pipe from res and put one muffler on the left side only?
Sorry for all the questions, kind of a newbie for mods lol. All help is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by sleepyheadzzz; 09-18-2013 at 11:11 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by sleepyheadzzz
Hey I had the pleasure of having both borla and magnaflows on my car.

The borla definitely had a nice aggressive growl and also a deep tone...
however I guess I drove the car too hard....the inner lining in the muffler burned up...so whenever I accelerated at low rpm...I could hear this metal tingling noise from the exhaust which sounded horrible....The exhaust guy told me it was from too much heat...my engine was a 550 with OEtuning and sprint booster...Im not sure if the OEtuning chip caused hotter temp causing the inner lining to to burn up...or if it was just from long term usage...I only had it on for 10,000 miles ..when I say burn up I don't mean there was a FIRE in my muffler...just the internal parts kinda got melted from the heat...I would have asked borla for a replacement for warranty but just too lazy to bother with it...

..I then changed to the magnaflow...BE SURE U GET THE SKINNier magnaflow dual in dual out...because the fatter one won't fit in that groove..there are 2 kinds
the Magnaflow part number is 12468
The sound is also VERY good...in terms of loudness. I would have to say they are comparable...some ppl think the magnaflow is a lil quieter...but the sound is really based on the size of the muffler...as the smaller magnaflow is almost the same size as the borla...the loudness was the same...

IF ur looking for a throaty sound its definitely borla...when you start up and rev...it sounds like the devil clearin his throat....SOO AWESOME...LOL

but then I gave the car to my dad with the magnaflow on and he thought it was too loud...so I installed 2 long resonators about 16" after the magnaflow muffler and it quieted down a lot...although it definitely didn't feel as powerful...it quieted it down a lot...and the sound was nice...

in the end both exhaust sound nice....but the borla just had a more aggressive sound...both exhaust systems turn a lot of heads
Sleepy, can you elaborate on why go with the "skinnier" one?
i purchased the magnaflow 11385 which is 4"x9" the one you mentioned is 5"x8"

Old 09-18-2013, 11:19 PM

look at the openings....11385 is 2.25" so the piping is skinnier

the one I have the piping is 2.5" so theres less restriction and slightly louder sound...the bigger one I am referring to is 12568 with 2.5" pipes...

its size is 5" by 11"...but in retrospect...it'll probably fit just fine...lemme make a correction...its longer... not fatter...the longer one probably will be a lil less loud...

and I did use both of my stock resonators which I placed after the muffler...the drone is horrible with out them....
Old 09-18-2013, 11:21 PM

^Thanks
Old 09-18-2013, 11:26 PM

definitely get real AMG tips...I paid 350 for the other 2 tips on the passenger side from parts.com...they look much nicer than the ebay ones...
Old 09-19-2013, 02:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts
2008 clk550 - Navigator - Frontier
Hey guys, I guess I mislead you on the muffler part number. All my planning drawings say 2.5/2.5 dual but I used the 11385 part number. I did not order the muffler myself but had it order by the fabricator. My pipes are now wrapped so I can't say for sure if the muffler is a 2.25" in/out but I can tell you for sure there are no swedge welds and the pipes are 2.5".

This means that either the fabricator used the 11386 or he cut off the 2.25" connect pipes of the muffler and welded the 2.5" pipes to the muffler.

A shift in the pipes from 2.5 to 2.25 to 2.5 to 2.25 to 2.5 is not desirable. Both mufflers (11385 and 11386) have 2.5" cores.

If you already have the 11385 and plan to go with the 4x9x14, ask you fabricator if just cutting off the 2.25 connects and welding to the muffler works to prevent inside diameter transitions. Or check with magnaflow.

Anyway, my apology.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:06 AM

^Thanks for the clarification fatz!
Old 09-21-2013, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

None for now
I think I'm gonna go with Magnaflow 11386. I don't want it to be EXTREMELY loud. I just want it to be a little louder than my muffler delete that I currently have and have the nice quad look. The Magnaflow in place of the resonator will make it louder right? Or will it just make it a little deeper?
Old 09-21-2013, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think I'm gonna go with Magnaflow 11386. I don't want it to be EXTREMELY loud. I just want it to be a little louder than my muffler delete that I currently have and have the nice quad look. The Magnaflow in place of the resonator will make it louder right? Or will it just make it a little deeper?
It should make the note deeper and the db (loudness) less
- you will introduce the magnaflow sound which is a deeper tone
- the mag muffler and resonator are both a straight through design
- the muffler is so small (4x9x14) it will not attenuate much sound - though more than the resonator
Old 09-22-2013, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

None for now
Originally Posted by Fatz
It should make the note deeper and the db (loudness) less
- you will introduce the magnaflow sound which is a deeper tone
- the mag muffler and resonator are both a straight through design
- the muffler is so small (4x9x14) it will not attenuate much sound - though more than the resonator
I just want to make sure that I get that growl when accelerating (not as loud as yours, but something like that). It looks like I won't get that growl with the magnaflow in there? The Magnaflow 11386 (2.5" piping) in place of resonator with straight pipe to tips.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

None for now
Just wondering guys, what would it sound like if I deleted the resonator along with my muffler delete and just put an X pipe (Magnaflow 10791) in place of the resonator and just straight pipe from there? Would I lose backpressure or any power/torque?

What would be the difference between that setup and the resonator delete replaced with Magnaflow 11386 all the way to the tips?
Old 09-22-2013, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The 11386 is so small, it is essentially an X-pipe with a little attentuation of sound and some added low end "rumble" (which is to me different than growl).

I think ideally an X-pipe should be as close to the primary CATS as possible and before the secondaries and/or muffler.

I think the "growl" you referred to is more a function of evacuation of the down and intermediate piping coupled witht he natural sound chacteristics of the engine (influenced by bore, stroke, timing, and exhaust manifold).

Can't recall if you plan to keep your secondaries. If you do, then I think the x-pipe within the 11386 will help minimize the restriction of the secondaries.

The rest of what I think you are looking for is in the quality of the fabrication.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just wondering guys, what would it sound like if I deleted the resonator along with my muffler delete and just put an X pipe (Magnaflow 10791) in place of the resonator and just straight pipe from there? Would I lose backpressure or any power/torque?

What would be the difference between that setup and the resonator delete replaced with Magnaflow 11386 all the way to the tips?
You should not lose much, if any, low end torque with a dual using the appropriate size pipes for the engine. I lost a lot of low end torque when I had the 3" pipe between the muffler and y-pipe along with an 18" single/dual 3" core mag muffler.

If you keep the pipes the same size as those coming off your primary CATS, you shouldn't have any issues with the character of the engine. Those MB engineers are pretty smart.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

None for now
Ok thanks for the clarification Fatz. Looks like I will not be getting the X pipe, because I do not want to mess with anything before the cats. Just a "cat-back" exhaust system is what I want. So compared to your setup, how much of the rumble and growl will I get if I just use the muffler in place of resonator and straight pipes? I'm guessing it will be significantly lower than yours and will it be quieter than my current muffler delete? Thanks
Old 09-22-2013, 08:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ok thanks for the clarification Fatz. Looks like I will not be getting the X pipe, because I do not want to mess with anything before the cats. Just a "cat-back" exhaust system is what I want. So compared to your setup, how much of the rumble and growl will I get if I just use the muffler in place of resonator and straight pipes? I'm guessing it will be significantly lower than yours and will it be quieter than my current muffler delete? Thanks
The first sound clip in the 3 step exhaust timeline I put on youtube will approximate how I suspect your exhaust would sound, but with move volume (louder). The 11386 will not reduce you volume much at all. It may even be louder for the 1st 500-1000 miles, then slightly less than the volume you currently have with the muffler delete.

The x-pipe in the muffler is probably the most impactful piece for you. I plan to call magnaflow tomorrow to ask if the x-pipe in the 11386 is the same as the stand alone x-pipe or perforated, for example.

I believe the scavenging will be more than with the y connection you have now and contribute to the growl. You can hear a bit of growl potential in the 1st sound clip.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

None for now
Originally Posted by Fatz
The first sound clip in the 3 step exhaust timeline I put on youtube will approximate how I suspect your exhaust would sound, but with move volume (louder). The 11386 will not reduce you volume much at all. It may even be louder for the 1st 500-1000 miles, then slightly less than the volume you currently have with the muffler delete.

The x-pipe in the muffler is probably the most impactful piece for you. I plan to call magnaflow tomorrow to ask if the x-pipe in the 11386 is the same as the stand alone x-pipe or perforated, for example.

I believe the scavenging will be more than with the y connection you have now and contribute to the growl. You can hear a bit of growl potential in the 1st sound clip.
If you say that it'll sound like the first clip but louder, then I'm psyched to do the exhaust! I want to have that growl when acceleration, which by the way it sounds, it looks like I'll get. Please let me know what Magnaflow tells you about the X-pipe. Can't wait!
Old 09-23-2013, 01:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

None for now
For Reference

Here is my exhaust clip as of now (muffler delete)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: Planning to go Quad Exhaust!