CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

My sound stopped working, I fixed it for $618.70

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 11:36 PM

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
09 CLK550
Post My sound stopped working, I fixed it for $618.70

About 3 weeks ago I came out of the store and my car would no longer make any audio. The head unit still behaved like it was working, I could change the radio, change iPod songs, CD tracks, etc. But no sound, not even for navigation.

I researched online, this seems to happen to our cars sometimes. Here's how I fixed it:
Started pulling fuses: 24, 26, 36 in the small fuse box in the dash br the steering wheel. Sometimes while running, sometimes while the car is off. Many people reported this fixed their issue (but sometimes reoccurs).
Also pulled fuse 40 (?) out of the front SAM, that was a pain, had to pull out the whole wiring bundle grommet to get at it.

Took the CD changer out of the MOST fiber loop. Sometimes it can flake out and disrupt the fiber bus causing no sound. I picked up PN 000-545-44-84 'CONNECTOR' for $5.57. Its a small black plastic clip that connects the ends of the fiber loop to each other.

None of these fixed it so I kept going.
I pulled the headunit out of the dash, checked the fuse, wiring. Removed the AUX-IN iPod adapter I installed a few months out https://mbworld.org/forums/clk55-amg...-05-clk55.html

Pulled off the pass-side door/sill plate, removed the whole passenger seat, pulled up the carpeting and checked the wires.

Removed the trunk lining and got into the amplifier area. Passenger side rear behind the wheel well.

The amp seemed ok. It was getting fiber signal and powering up. It is held in by 4 x 10mm nuts, the 2 at the bottom are a pain.

I fired up an old laptop I have with a stripped down version of Mercedes STAR diagnostics that I had successfully used on my old W203 but it couldn't talk to the radio.

I kept looking, unplugged the teleaid module in the cabin. I read a faulty mic can mute the bus without notifying you. Remove the overhead light lens, push the white pieces towards the front of the car and the whole assembly folds down. Unplugged the 4-5 wiring bundles and undid the unit in the trunk:

Still no change and SRS errors every time I started the car.
I had given up at this point, there was nothing left for me to trouble shoot.
I took it to the dealer, with dread. My out of warranty AMG with electrical problems

I wrote out a long description of what I had done and hoped for the best. The awesome tech at Bloomfield Hills Mercedes called and complimented on the extent of troubleshooting I did on my own but said only a $156.00 scan by their STAR machine would determine the problem.
Their machine came back with:
"Code D117
Performed wake up test, second system has no reaction. Test showed voltage 12.3 to 2.2 volts. Need new amplifier"

So just for fun I asked how much for him to swap the amp. $1800 Yeah no way I'm paying $1800 for just an amp. I'd rather swap out the whole damn system.

I thanked him and went home with my tail between my legs. At least I knew what was wrong now.
I found an amp on ebay for $350 but it sold before I could get to it.
Found one local for $457.13 and swapped it out this morning.

My sound is now working again.
Old dead amp P/N: A169-820-37-89
New working amp: A169-820-80-89 from a 2009 CLK550

$618.70 total just for a damn amp, but better than the $1800 MB wanted
The following 2 users liked this post by ambit:
Lovetoflyfish (11-11-2018), Merc Mania (05-04-2018)
Old 11-21-2013, 01:36 AM

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
2018 E43
MASSIVE respect for such thorough troubleshooting!

good info too!
Old 11-21-2013, 01:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts
2008 clk550 - Navigator - Frontier
I'm surprised the dealer didn't offer you a job.....

Nice work and info; unbelieveable tenacity..
Old 05-04-2018, 02:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 CLK 550 Cabriolet, '15 ML 350
Wow! Thank you for your help!

Thank you for reaching out to me.
And for doing all of that research and work!
I will look into this right after Derby.
All the best to you and yours,
Evan
Old 02-08-2019, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK550
Found the amplifier in the trunk of my 2008 CLK550

Originally Posted by ambit
About 3 weeks ago I came out of the store and my car would no longer make any audio. The head unit still behaved like it was working, I could change the radio, change iPod songs, CD tracks, etc. But no sound, not even for navigation.

I researched online, this seems to happen to our cars sometimes. Here's how I fixed it:
Started pulling fuses: 24, 26, 36 in the small fuse box in the dash br the steering wheel. Sometimes while running, sometimes while the car is off. Many people reported this fixed their issue (but sometimes reoccurs).
Also pulled fuse 40 (?) out of the front SAM, that was a pain, had to pull out the whole wiring bundle grommet to get at it.

Took the CD changer out of the MOST fiber loop. Sometimes it can flake out and disrupt the fiber bus causing no sound. I picked up PN 000-545-44-84 'CONNECTOR' for $5.57. Its a small black plastic clip that connects the ends of the fiber loop to each other.

None of these fixed it so I kept going.
I pulled the headunit out of the dash, checked the fuse, wiring. Removed the AUX-IN iPod adapter I installed a few months out https://mbworld.org/forums/clk55-amg...-05-clk55.html

Pulled off the pass-side door/sill plate, removed the whole passenger seat, pulled up the carpeting and checked the wires.

Removed the trunk lining and got into the amplifier area. Passenger side rear behind the wheel well.

The amp seemed ok. It was getting fiber signal and powering up. It is held in by 4 x 10mm nuts, the 2 at the bottom are a pain.

I fired up an old laptop I have with a stripped down version of Mercedes STAR diagnostics that I had successfully used on my old W203 but it couldn't talk to the radio.

I kept looking, unplugged the teleaid module in the cabin. I read a faulty mic can mute the bus without notifying you. Remove the overhead light lens, push the white pieces towards the front of the car and the whole assembly folds down. Unplugged the 4-5 wiring bundles and undid the unit in the trunk:

Still no change and SRS errors every time I started the car.
I had given up at this point, there was nothing left for me to trouble shoot.
I took it to the dealer, with dread. My out of warranty AMG with electrical problems

I wrote out a long description of what I had done and hoped for the best. The awesome tech at Bloomfield Hills Mercedes called and complimented on the extent of troubleshooting I did on my own but said only a $156.00 scan by their STAR machine would determine the problem.
Their machine came back with:
"Code D117
Performed wake up test, second system has no reaction. Test showed voltage 12.3 to 2.2 volts. Need new amplifier"

So just for fun I asked how much for him to swap the amp. $1800 Yeah no way I'm paying $1800 for just an amp. I'd rather swap out the whole damn system.

I thanked him and went home with my tail between my legs. At least I knew what was wrong now.
I found an amp on ebay for $350 but it sold before I could get to it.
Found one local for $457.13 and swapped it out this morning.

My sound is now working again.
Old dead amp P/N: A169-820-37-89
New working amp: A169-820-80-89 from a 2009 CLK550

$618.70 total just for a damn amp, but better than the $1800 MB wanted
Your photos and great details allowed me to locate my CLK550 amplifier in the right side of the trunk, wonderful info for those who never removed the component before!
Old 02-11-2019, 09:41 AM

CLK550
Originally Posted by Casimone
Your photos and great details allowed me to locate my CLK550 amplifier in the right side of the trunk, wonderful info for those who never removed the component before!
Something interesting is that while the amplifier seemed to be fried, pulling the circuit board metal cover (remove six very small screws) brought the amplifier back to life, it has been working ever since. I noticed the sound would die if the cover screws were tight, but would otherwise work if the cover screws were turned counterclockwise one turn.

Old 02-11-2019, 10:36 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Maybe something is shorting out? Or the housing or circuit board is warped?
Old 02-11-2019, 11:23 AM

CLK550
Originally Posted by Rudeney
Maybe something is shorting out? Or the housing or circuit board is warped?
I believe that's probably the case !
Old 02-11-2019, 03:17 PM

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
09 CLK550
I love when my old threads pop up

I opened up my amp and there was physical damage marks on the PCB, guess it died of old age.
The replacement amp from 2013 still works to this day.
Old 10-14-2021, 08:33 PM

2005 clk500 cabriolet
Thanks so much for that info very impressive testing