CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Soft top cover half closed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 01:54 PM
Cvt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F-150
Soft top cover half closed

Help needed with my 2004 CLK 55 soft top cover compartment lid is stuck partially open during closure sequence.
Not able to reverse the operations. The rear window will raise up and down but that is about all I get for operations. The pump motor sounds very weak and the rear window movement is very slow. Battery is good and head rest raise and fall.

The system is under pressure and I can't open the truck due to the soft top cover is blocking the trunk lid.I would like to get to the hydraulics pump

Any help is greatly appreciated. I want to get to the pump and release the pressure.

Soft top cover half closed-clk-55-trunk-lid.jpg
Old 06-11-2017, 07:35 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
I suspect a bad microswitch. Probably this one:

http://benzbits.com/w209/soft_top/co...ch%20group.pdf

You will need to manually close the lid to get the trunk open in order to access the pump for a full manual open so you can check the switches. To do this, get two friends - one to operate the switch for closing, and you and the other friend to push down and forward on the cover so it latches. If the switch is bad, it may not register that the cover is closed and the trunk won't open. In that case, you'll need to use yoour hard key to manually open the trunk:

Once you do that, here's the manual open/close procedure:

http://benzbits.com/w209/soft_top/ManualClose.wmv
The following users liked this post:
Cvt (06-11-2017)
Old 06-11-2017, 10:29 PM
Cvt

F-150
I will get to this on my next chance. Fortunately this is not my daily driver. I do appreciate your input. I will let you know how things progress.
I think the switch could be some of the trouble from reading the threads.

But can you give an opinion about the sluggish pump motor operation?
At first the rear window moved faster then as I tried to get the top down it became much slower and weak.
I first noticed this from putting the top up the other day and the motor and hydraulic cylinders were louder and seemed to be straining on the closure sequence.
The fluid tank may be low from what I read. But I don't smell and leakage.

Again thanks for the input.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts
2008 CLK550 Cab
By rear window, I assume you are talking about the one in the top, not the side rear windows? Anyway, if you have suddenly slow operation combined with increased noise, a leak is the first thing to to check for. You won't smell a leak I don't think. The oil used is very light and clear and does not have a smell strong enough to detect just from a leaking cylinder.
Old 06-12-2017, 06:40 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
You could have a leak or the pump could be going out. Usually a leak makes the pump run faster as it;s not having to build up so much pressure.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:24 AM
Cvt

F-150
Massive Leak somewhere

Okay I was able to close the top cover and open the trunk.

I found the reservoir to be nearly empty.
I filled it back up and exercised the top operation a couple of times.
Then I checked the level and it was low to nearly empty again.
The pump will not operate the top cylinders now do to low levels of fluid and a massive leak somewhere.

The top is latched in the back soft top window and cover but lose at the front wind shield.

I found the how to close the top manually video.

I need to release the latch for the back soft top window and open the
soft top cover to find the cylinder(s) that are leaking.

I learned how to release the pressures and open the fluid line so I can move parts manually.

Is there an instruction on how to open the top manually?

Again the issue is releasing the latch of the back soft top to the cover hatch.

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:04 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Manual opening is pretty much the same as manual close - release the valve on the pump and the locks on either side of the trunk, attach the straps to the hinges and pop the cover up an inch. At this point, the rear glass latches should be free of the cover so you can raise it, and then fully raise the cover. Now use the Allen wrench to unlock the top at the windshield and now just pull it back and everything will fold into the trunk.

as for the leak, since you can see it, it is likely one of the main lift cylinders. When they leak, fluid goes down deep into the bowels of the trunk. Remove the paneling and you'll find a puddle.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:07 PM
Cvt

F-150
Sorry if this comes up twice .. I hit the wrong button while posting.

I am making headway on changing the ST Hydraulic cylinders.

I ordered the replacements from Top Hydraulics today and hope to finish this job this weekend.

I have a couple of questions.

1st-- The white boxes in the back set -- see pic, I assume these are the air bags. Any word on taking these out? Looks like it could be dangerous if not removed correctly.

2nd -- I am looking for help on taking the hydraulic cylinders out. I guess that I do this one at a time start at the bottom and release the cylinder from the mount, then close the top and release the top mount? Swap out the cylinder and install in the reverse order.

If anyone has experience with this I appreciate your reply.

Have a Great 4th and Celebrate Freedom !!!
Attached Thumbnails Soft top cover half closed-clk-55-back-rt.jpg  
Old 06-26-2017, 05:34 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Yes, those are the rear side airbags. The SRS system is disabled when the ignition is off. You should place they key well away from the vehicle (especially with KeylessGo) to prevent any accidents. The airbag unit is perfectly safe to handle, but if you feel better, disconnect the battery. You will need to move it out of the way.

As for the rest of the job, you've truly done the hard stuff getting all the trim out of the way to access the cylinders. Now all you do is swap them out.