CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Just Saying Hello and Looking For Advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 10:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 500
Cool Just Saying Hello and Looking For Advice

I've had my 2004 clk 500 for about three years now and I'm close to the 200k mark. Haven't had to do any major repairs and my baby purrs like a kittten. The most costly repair so far was replacing a leaky water pump the day I bought it. I've upgraded the brakes, wheels and tires, front control arms. I plan on upgrading the sway bars, springs and shocks in the very near future. What do you guys recommend?I had kyb on my old camaro but maybe something like bilstein would be more appropriate. I'm looking to upgrade from stock because I like to drive it hard from time to time. Also hope to upgrade the exhaust system this year. I love the amg sound but can't afford it. Not a huge fan of the straight pipe sound although I've read it's highly recommended around here. I've got a lot of a little side projects I also need to tackle and was wondering if you guys could give me a ball park on how much it will cost to get the front seats re-upholstered (just where your butt goes haha), fix a door lock, and rear window, it appears the spring has malfunctioned in both and the moonroof. Also I will the stealership disable the teleaid system free of charge? One last question; what's the best way to fix the receiver in the door handle for keyless entry? Aftermarket system? Mine only works when I point the FOB an inch away from the handle and works better when the sun is not out. I'm guessing some type of solar radiation causes interference.

Last edited by naj959; 07-25-2017 at 11:00 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 762 Likes on 741 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
moved to W209 forum...
Old 07-29-2017, 09:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 179 Likes on 149 Posts
me: 2015 SL400 & 2015 ML400; wife: 2022 GLC Coupe kid: 2017 GLC SUV
that's like seven posts in one, bro! I'll say that if you're aiming your key fob you're not using keyless. have you tried fresh batteries in the key? if you actually have Keyless Go the doors open when you touch (or squeeze) the inside of the door handle with the key in your pocket.....
Old 07-29-2017, 10:32 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,004 Likes on 872 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Sort range on the RCL (remote control locking) is common when the antenna amp fails. First check fuse #8 in the trunk. If it's blown, you may have a bad ATA (alarm) siren. If not, then the amp has probably detached from the antenna array on the rear glass. It's an expensive fix, so you might just live with it.
The following users liked this post:
naj959 (07-30-2017)
Old 07-29-2017, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts
2008 clk550 - Navigator - Frontier
The mods I've done are in my signature. I would do all of those listed, again. I would do the exhaust a bit differently, but still dual. I tried several led license plate solutions and finally gave up. The led modules had a short life cycle. Changing the bulbs only to led resulted in the driver side flickering for awhile then not illuminating; it isn't the bulbs and I haven't had time to research/troubleshoot why it does that.
Old 07-30-2017, 12:02 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
CLK W209
Before upgrading anything, I'd suggest getting the bonnet-bumper-headlight alignment issue sorted! Have you hit something? It looks terribly off. A great shame since the rest of the car would seem quite alright. Adjustments are quite easily made. The headlight may have a cracked mounting point.

Did you purposely remove the bootlid spoiler, also? I've seen it done a few times, with the AMG body kit.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:03 PM

CLK 500
Originally Posted by sailorben
Before upgrading anything, I'd suggest getting the bonnet-bumper-headlight alignment issue sorted! Have you hit something? It looks terribly off. A great shame since the rest of the car would seem quite alright. Adjustments are quite easily made. The headlight may have a cracked mounting point.

Did you purposely remove the bootlid spoiler, also? I've seen it done a few times, with the AMG body kit.
Are you referring to the hood? I just didn't close it all the way. I think I was checking something. I believe the previous owner put the AMG front bumper on but to my knowledge my model did not come from the factory with a trunk spoiler. I could be wrong. I'm definitely not as knowledgable as some of the members here. I plan on putting on an AF-1 spoiler.

Trending Topics

Old 07-30-2017, 08:06 PM

CLK 500
Originally Posted by eddieo45
that's like seven posts in one, bro! I'll say that if you're aiming your key fob you're not using keyless. have you tried fresh batteries in the key? if you actually have Keyless Go the doors open when you touch (or squeeze) the inside of the door handle with the key in your pocket.....
I don't have the keyless option but I did go to the dealer to replace the battery. Same issues. I need to check that fuse in the trunk. I'm pretty sure that's the issue and if it's a costly repair I'll just live with it. I read somewhere that some people were installing aftermarket alarm systems instead of fixing the amp.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:03 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,004 Likes on 872 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
All USA-market V8 CLK's came standard with the "AMG Sport Appearance Package" which included the AMG-style front bumper and lower grille, rear AMG-style sport bumper, wider sport-style rocker panels, rear spoiler on the trunk lid, AMG wheels and AMG exhaust tips.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:52 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
CLK W209
Originally Posted by naj959
Are you referring to the hood? I just didn't close it all the way. I think I was checking something. I believe the previous owner put the AMG front bumper on but to my knowledge my model did not come from the factory with a trunk spoiler. I could be wrong. I'm definitely not as knowledgable as some of the members here. I plan on putting on an AF-1 spoiler.
My apologies, it looks as if the bonnet is shut most of the way along the wing, hence my assumption.

You've the AMG style front, rear bumpers, and side-skirts. Just lacking in the spoiler!
Old 07-31-2017, 07:48 PM

CLK 500
Interesting, I didn't know the v8s came with the AMG sport appearance package. I guess someone took the wing off. I would have left it on. Makes you wonder why MBZ made the 500 look so similar to the AMG. Makes you feel like a poser hahaha.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:24 PM
SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts
Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, BMW, MINI and more!
Welcome to MBWorld! I'm here if you ever need anything.