CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Intake Manifold Repair Kits

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 08:08 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
15' CLS400
Intake Manifold Repair Kits

So I finally found out why my car has been running rich. Come to find out the left (drivers side) manifold flap is broken. The service tech showed me where the actuator arm connects and how the round plastic cover/bearing has come off of the manifold thus letting air in the hole. My question is whether the various repair kits such as
this one on amazon this one on amazon
come with all the needed parts. I dont really need the actuators or arms but I'll replace them anyway. Do the plastic circles with X's snap together one inside and one out? If so i think thats what I need. Is it possible I need the whole inside flap? I'm just worried the kit doesn't actually have what I need. Any info is appreciated.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:03 PM

15' CLS400
OK so I finally got my new intake manifold and ran into some issues with installation. I followed the wis directions posted in another thread. Everything was pretty straight forward except for a couple hiccups..

1: there are a lot of electrical connections. Double check everything.
2: the gaskets slide around when trying to put the new one in. I put a couple dots of gasket seal on it and let it dry just to hold it in place when putting the new manifold in.
​​​​​​3: you need to take the fuel rail and throttle body off the old manifold and bolt them onto the new one.

. For some unknown reason after putting in the new one the car wouldn't run, was getting random misfires and was backfiring. Took everything out and reinstalled a second time and everything is perfect now. No idea what I missed the first time around. Maybe I didn't press the injectors firmly down I don't know.

the manifold
. I ended up buying a rebuilt manifold for $350 from rebuildmastertech.com. came looking like new and I think it even has some upgraded parts. Pics below. I didn't buy the repair kit because that only fixes the actuators and arms not the connections into the manifold. Mine was broken off. All in all its well worth the $350. They charge a $50 core charge and refund it when you send back your broken one, they even sent a paid shipping label!

My rough idle is now fixed and no more "rich" codes!

Came with gaskets

Brand new from rebuildmastertech

Broken Swivel so that wasn't moving at all

Broken Arm and bushing, The round connector was broken off, so not only was it not moving but it was letting air in.

Last edited by TechSuperstar; 05-17-2018 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:15 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Keeping the gaskets in place is a PITA. I think a tiny daub of sealant here and there is a good way to keep them in place.

I can't tell for sure, but is the tumble flap actuator lever on the new manifold still plastic? I wonder why they did not use metal! Of course the idea is that the reason the plastic breaks is because the manifold get "gunk" in it (from the PCV system) which causes the flaps to stick and the arms to break. Thus the reason why it's usually a good idea to replace the entire manifold when the plastics start breaking.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:20 AM

15' CLS400
I was a little pissed at that. The picture on their site shows the metallic silver. I'm hopefully getting a newer car this year so by the time it breaks down again I wont be the owner All in all I don't think you can find a better price for a whole new manifold than from these guys. Rebuild Master Tech

Last edited by TechSuperstar; 05-18-2018 at 10:33 AM.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:28 PM

15' CLS400
Update:

Good news: I passed inspection with the new manifold installed.

Bad news: I still have a slightly rough idle and some pending codes coming back (P0172 and P2092) that haven't turned the CEL on.

P0172 - Bank 1 too rich
P2092 - Bank 1 self adaptation for enleanment at idle load below limit

Could we get any more generic in our codes???
Could an overreporting MAF cause this case and if so wouldn't the left bank also have an issue?
I have to believe the new manifold is good.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:18 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
P2092: 0282 Component Y49/4 (Left camshaft intake solenoid) has a short circuit to ground.

This is usually a wiring problem with the solenoid, but can also be a bad solenoid.

P0172 can be one of three DTCs:

0338 Self-adaptation of mixture formation for enleanment at partial load for the right cylinder bank is below the permissible limit.
0746 Self-adaptation of mixture formation for enleanment at idle for the right cylinder bank is below the permissible limit.
1045 Lambda control, before TWC right : Lambda control is at lean stop.

The first two are often a problem with the pressure (MAP) sensor. The last one can be the MAF sensor or an exhaust leak.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:54 PM

15' CLS400
Thanks rudeney. Ya the dealer said I should replace the cam solenoids a while back. I guess it might be time. Thanks again for the reply.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:26 PM

15' CLS400
Originally Posted by Rudeney
P2092: 0282 Component Y49/4 (Left camshaft intake solenoid) has a short circuit to ground.

This is usually a wiring problem with the solenoid, but can also be a bad solenoid.

P0172 can be one of three DTCs:

0338 Self-adaptation of mixture formation for enleanment at partial load for the right cylinder bank is below the permissible limit.
0746 Self-adaptation of mixture formation for enleanment at idle for the right cylinder bank is below the permissible limit.
1045 Lambda control, before TWC right : Lambda control is at lean stop.

The first two are often a problem with the pressure (MAP) sensor. The last one can be the MAF sensor or an exhaust leak.

Ok... so i replaced all four solenoids and I've got the same codes...

Rudeney or anyone else.. can you tell me if there are 'normal' diagnosis steps I should take to check the wiring?
For example what pins in the connector are what? There must be some logical order tech's start to look at this by. I have the WIS software but I'm not sure what to search for in this case. Also is there some area of the WIS software that lets you enter codes? I've always just done "full text search". I really don't want to buy a whole new wiring harness.
Thanks

Update: Now that I look online.. it looks like autohausaz offers a replacement solenoid harness pn
271150015605. I guess I thought the opposite end went right into the main harness and didn't have a plug.? I'll have to take another look but I guess this might work.

Last edited by TechSuperstar; 06-13-2018 at 10:01 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:04 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
SDS does have steps for diagnosing the wiring, but requires a special breakout box that connects to the ECU wiring harness. Since you have WIS, find the wiring diagram and determine which wires are in the ECU harness for the solenoid and test them with an ohmmeter.