CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

2005 Sirius SAT Radio New Antenna

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 11:39 PM
wem

Received 186 Likes on 105 Posts
'22 AMG SL55;'23 Porsche Cayenne S Coupe;'13 Porsche Boxster S
2005 Sirius SAT Radio New Antenna

A number of people on the 211 site are not happy with the factory recommended placement of the Sirius antenna on the trunk deck. It looks like at least for the CLK things have changed for the 2005 model. To both the salesman's and my surprise, the 2005 Sirius antenna kit is different from the 2004 kit, and is now completely hidden from view (no more drilling or the clunky black square on the trunk). I didn't have a chance to ask the technician where the antenna was hidden. All I know is that I activated the service tonight and everything works great (and more importantly the car still looks great and sounds even better)
Old 07-02-2004, 01:24 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 ML500 w/Apperance pkg & '07 SL550 w/AMG pkg
That is sweet music to my ears!!!!! I really want to get SAT radio, but drilling of any sort is out of the question. I will be interigating my Service Manager tomorrow to get the low down on the new install kit!!! Thanks for the post
Old 07-02-2004, 03:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by wem
A number of people on the 211 site are not happy with the factory recommended placement of the Sirius antenna on the trunk deck. It looks like at least for the CLK things have changed for the 2005 model. To both the salesman's and my surprise, the 2005 Sirius antenna kit is different from the 2004 kit, and is now completely hidden from view (no more drilling or the clunky black square on the trunk). I didn't have a chance to ask the technician where the antenna was hidden. All I know is that I activated the service tonight and everything works great (and more importantly the car still looks great and sounds even better)
Sigh...

The kit for the CLK cabriolet (and CL) have always used a hidden antenna. The 2005 kit is different because it is MOST bus based instead of D2B... that's the only difference. Oh, the bracket might be different too.

There never was any drilling for the CLK cab (cab ONLY) and CL.

If you need to know, the antenna is under the decklid.

We've been using this antenna now to do installations on other cars, but it is pricey.

-s-
Old 07-23-2004, 11:06 PM

2018 E63S,
Is it possible to add this to 03 models with Command?
Old 07-24-2004, 01:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
If your comand does not have the SAT button then NO. You may be able to do a firmware update, run new wiring, and do it but I don't think anyone has done it yet.
Old 07-29-2004, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SAT antennas

We weren't too keen on drilling holes in the decklids of SL55's and E55's so we played around and found other areas to mount the antenna. On the sedans you can mount the antenna inside the back glass on the hat shelf. The E class doesn't even need a new antenna, the one supplied with the factory kit works. The other cars need new antennas with longer connection leads. The SL's antenna can be mounted under the hood under the vents toward the back of the hood with no loss in reception. Again, the SL does require a new antenna. It takes a couple of extra hours of labor, but no holes drilled in your sheet metal and no ugly antenna!
Old 07-29-2004, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ELDERACER
We weren't too keen on drilling holes in the decklids of SL55's and E55's so we played around and found other areas to mount the antenna. On the sedans you can mount the antenna inside the back glass on the hat shelf. The E class doesn't even need a new antenna, the one supplied with the factory kit works. The other cars need new antennas with longer connection leads. The SL's antenna can be mounted under the hood under the vents toward the back of the hood with no loss in reception. Again, the SL does require a new antenna. It takes a couple of extra hours of labor, but no holes drilled in your sheet metal and no ugly antenna!
You don't need a new antenna on any car. The existing antenna works fine and is a good match for the receiver. You just need an extension cable (available at any Daimler Chrysler dealer, if you know what to ask for). Besides, on the SL, you can mount it under the hard boot.

-s-
Old 07-31-2004, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
antenna leads

Do you have a part number for that extension cable? That would make life easier for our techs. Under the hard boot, huh? We'll have to try that.
Old 07-31-2004, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ELDERACER
Do you have a part number for that extension cable? That would make life easier for our techs. Under the hard boot, huh? We'll have to try that.
The extension cable doesn't come from Mercedes-Benz, it comes from OTHER DCAG dealers. Sorry, I wasn't clear that it did not include MB dealers. Call up a Chrysler dealer, for instance. I am not sure the part number will make it any easier, most parts people want to look up the application themselves (and rightfully so considering they probably won't know who you are and whether you know what you're talking about or not).

Besides, I don't have the part number here.

-s-