CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

looking to purchse star diagnostic do I buy c4,c5 or c6?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2020, 05:18 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
2004 CLK 500
looking to purchse star diagnostic do I buy c4,c5 or c6?

I saw a few different Star diagnostic for sale online . Should I bother buying C4 or C5? Or should I just got for the C6 version ? Thanks for any help.
Old 02-03-2020, 12:18 PM

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts
GL320
I have 12/2019 C6 and 9/2009 C3. The C3 is faster and does offline programming. The C6 is wireless and has greater capabilities but all programming has to be done online via Xentry.
Old 02-03-2020, 01:52 PM

2004 CLK 500
I am sorry I am new to this program . What do you mean with online ? The systems available are all Chinese would online feature be turned off ? or do I need to update ?
Old 02-03-2020, 02:58 PM

GL320
When referring to "online", it means that in order use certain programming functions, you must be signed in to mercedes factory Xentry online service just like the dealer. Basically you're logging in to their servers to update, program, and code your vehicle. It is not very feasable or economical for the normal DIY'er to purchase this from Mercedes as they frown on cloned star tools and even if they allowed you, its very expensive ($3k/year).

However, there are plently of providers online that have legitmate logins/passwords to access Xentry online and charge for a single use, day rate, month rate, and year for a more reasonable price. It requires some sort of team viewer where you get everything ready to code, they log in remotely, then you code everything yourself and then end the session. If you are planning on doing this, then you need to have a DAS/Xentry version that is less than a year old. MB servers block software older than that from logging in online.

Offline programming allows you to do certain programming while not logged in to xentry or even an internet connection. Certain funcitons must be done by online coding no matter what. There was a cutoff in software version (5/2015 i believe) where you can no longer use offline programming. So if you purchase a machine to do offline programming it will never be able to program online. Confusing huh!

Bottom line:
Star C4/5/6 running at least 3/2019 software will program online but not offline.
Star C4 running 5/2015 to 12/2018 will not offline or online program. Must be updated to 3/2019 or newer to do online programming.
Star C3/4 running from 3/2015 and older can program offline but will never be online capable.

I believe I have the software dates correct, if not, they are in that range.

What would be your main purpose in getting the tool?
The following 3 users liked this post by dhurley:
Codeblack (10-07-2023), OV Auto (04-21-2023), Riyadh Baqer (07-16-2020)
Old 02-03-2020, 04:36 PM

2004 CLK 500
I want it to diagnose my Mercedes cars and if i need to code a new part or if i want to change/ turn on and off features .
Old 02-04-2020, 05:28 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2009 CLK 350
What kind of changes could a Star system make on a 09 CLK 350 cabriolet.
I have a icarsoft i980 and use it often.
Old 02-04-2020, 11:18 PM

2004 CLK 500
I have the icarsoft too . I have a 2004 clk500 not 09 350. Like I said any programing work like changing features , coding parts that need to be coded. And in case I have an issue I want to use there guide with pictures.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:42 AM

GL320
If you're looking to code new parts, you'll have to purchase a system that can perform online coding and access to a xentry log in like I stated in my second post. As far as being able to turn on or change certain functions, I cannot advise on what a you're able to do without xentry online access because its vehicle model specific. Most everything has to be coded online now as thats the direction MB has gone.

It will be able to provide you with pretty much every diagnostic function that you would want without needing to be logged in to Xentry as well as EPC and WIS. I recently bought a new C6 system and even though it was $800 and I rarely go online, it has been worth it.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:38 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,002 Likes on 870 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
There are different types of "coding". Much of the coding one would do with SDS is just "adaptation" of a part. This is setting various options and functions on the part, such as coding the instrument cluster for having COMAND navigation vs. a standard radio so that the proper features and displays work on it. Many new (and used) parts just need adaptation coding when installed. There is another type of coding called SCN". This is "Software Calibration Number" coding, which is where the vehicle's VIN is encrypted into the part's firmware, primarily for theft deterrence. Most parts that requires SCN coding can only be coded once as as a new "virgin" part. And this does require a connection to MBZ corporate (i.e. online coding) or a set of firmware files with this already programmed (offline coding). There are some other variations, but with SDS, you can do quite a bit. And, with copy that has "developer mode" enabled (as most Chinese clones do) , you can actually do some things "manually" that would normally require SCN coding.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:05 PM

2004 CLK 500
Thank you all for the information . when I got my car it has the hologen lights but I went to someone with the mercedes laptop and they where able to change it to xenon and they where able to add features like tpms and change horn sounds etc . that's really all I am looking to do on top of diagnostics . I put a link to what I was looking at . What do you guys think ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/V2019-12-XE...2817de72b21ba7

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TOP-quality...cAAOSwKWxbfirg

Old 07-16-2020, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 MB E350
Hello, I am new here,I have 2011 E350 4D base what MB star you recommend for me and what programing i can do for my E350?

Thanks
Old 12-12-2022, 09:09 PM

92 300GD
Are you familiar with some one I can purchase the service from?
Old 12-12-2022, 09:11 PM

92 300GD
Do you know someone I can get to help me clear crash codes online?
Old 05-08-2024, 10:54 PM

2010 MB GL-450
Which Star diagnostic to buy

So all of your comments are super helpful, but i am hoping for a little more clarification. So i have only had experience working on my 2010 MB GL450. There has been a lot of small stuff working into headaches lol. So eventually i want to upgrade my ignition system and be able to program keys because i have had to fix my ignition a couple times already, i also installed a new air intake manifold and have had some of the same faults, plus ive had some random codes come up on my current code reader which is supposed to have programming capabilities, it just isnt this software. I am looking for something specific to Mercedes-Benz and that is user friendly for beginners. I am an electrician and i do work on heavy equipment so i can read prints and figure things out eventually. I just want my work to be done more accurately without second guessing. Which software would be more user friendly. I am coming up on my 150k service and would like to check the health of my transmission, engine, timing, etc. Without all the extra costs so that i can start to understand my vehicle a little better as well.

QUOTE=Rudeney;7973293]There are different types of "coding". Much of the coding one would do with SDS is just "adaptation" of a part. This is setting various options and functions on the part, such as coding the instrument cluster for having COMAND navigation vs. a standard radio so that the proper features and displays work on it. Many new (and used) parts just need adaptation coding when installed. There is another type of coding called SCN". This is "Software Calibration Number" coding, which is where the vehicle's VIN is encrypted into the part's firmware, primarily for theft deterrence. Most parts that requires SCN coding can only be coded once as as a new "virgin" part. And this does require a connection to MBZ corporate (i.e. online coding) or a set of firmware files with this already programmed (offline coding). There are some other variations, but with SDS, you can do quite a bit. And, with copy that has "developer mode" enabled (as most Chinese clones do) , you can actually do some things "manually" that would normally require SCN coding.[/QUOTE]