CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

722.9 transmission

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2020, 10:50 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 E550 Desingo
722.9 transmission

2008 CLK 350
My father in-law bought the car at auction the transmission is slipping when accelerating and wont go into reverse unless the car is turned off then turned back on, so i scanned it with the tablet and many codes popped (see attached pics) so i assumed it was the common conductor plate failure and i was planning on sending the conductor plate out to be refurbished by one of the companies on ebay or circuit board medics in SC. so I took off the valve body and it seems the previous owner tried to get into it, bc half of the bolts were broken luckily when the valve body came off i was able to back out the broken screw. that being said i have no clue if the fluid level was correct or since it was so loose would there be a loss of pressure(never saw any transmission leaking from the pan) if that was the culprit. I called up the Benz dealership and since i work at a shop they can sell me a conductor plate for $362 I was just wounding if anyone has had this experience where the conductor plate causing all these codes to pop or is it a bigger issue than just the conductor plate or tcm

Old 02-24-2020, 09:47 PM

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts
GL320
Originally Posted by DaveS500
2008 CLK 350
My father in-law bought the car at auction the transmission is slipping when accelerating and wont go into reverse unless the car is turned off then turned back on, so i scanned it with the tablet and many codes popped (see attached pics) so i assumed it was the common conductor plate failure and i was planning on sending the conductor plate out to be refurbished by one of the companies on ebay or circuit board medics in SC. so I took off the valve body and it seems the previous owner tried to get into it, bc half of the bolts were broken luckily when the valve body came off i was able to back out the broken screw. that being said i have no clue if the fluid level was correct or since it was so loose would there be a loss of pressure(never saw any transmission leaking from the pan) if that was the culprit. I called up the Benz dealership and since i work at a shop they can sell me a conductor plate for $362 I was just wounding if anyone has had this experience where the conductor plate causing all these codes to pop or is it a bigger issue than just the conductor plate or tcm

Those codes will appear when you turn the ignition on without the plate plugged in.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:57 AM

2014 E550 Desingo
thanks for the response. The conductor plate was plugged in and the car nothing was disassembled yet and these codes showed, which leads me to believe the issue is the circuitboard/wiring inside the conductor plate. That being said i purchased the new conductor plate from benz and gave them my old one for the core charge along with my vin number. So now my question is do I or they need to transfer over any of the old information from the old tcm or since its coming from Benz programmed to my vin what else needs to be done after install?
Old 02-25-2020, 11:09 AM

GL320
thanks for the response. The conductor plate was plugged in and the car nothing was disassembled yet and these codes showed, which leads me to believe the issue is the circuitboard/wiring inside the conductor plate. That being said i purchased the new conductor plate from benz and gave them my old one for the core charge along with my vin number. So now my question is do I or they need to transfer over any of the old information from the old tcm or since its coming from Benz programmed to my vin what else needs to be done after install?
Any time the CAN bus is lost with the trans, those messages will appear. Could have been from the previous owner unplugging it or the TCM board is bad. It will also store a communication error event (not a code) in the ECM. The conductor plate will not come programmed for your vehicle. You will need someone who can pull the EHS flow data from the old plate and transfer it to the new plate, then online SCN code it, perform initial start up and relearn, clear the codes, and readapt.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:53 AM

2014 E550 Desingo
ok now i have a bigger problem the plug/connector(I’m talking about the connector that’s attached to the conductor plate shaped in a right angle.)broke off the conductor plate circuit board when I was removing it from the transmission. has anyone had any experience reattaching/soldering it back on or is there a way to remove the tcu/tcm and place it on a different conductor plate. I can take a better pic later today but now idk what to do.

Old 02-29-2020, 08:57 AM

GL320
ok now i have a bigger problem the plug/connector(I’m talking about the connector that’s attached to the conductor plate shaped in a right angle.)broke off the conductor plate circuit board when I was removing it from the transmission. has anyone had any experience reattaching/soldering it back on or is there a way to remove the tcu/tcm and place it on a different conductor plate. I can take a better pic later today but now idk what to do.
if you're replacing it, what does it matter? Otherwise youll just need to solder it back on.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:07 AM

2014 E550 Desingo
I went back to the benz dealer to give them this one for the core charge and he said the plug is broken off there is no way to get the data off the old conductor plate he also said the conductor plate has to be installed in the car for the information to be copied so it can be transferred to the new conductor plate. Then the service guy tells me that the only way they can fix my issue is if I buy a whole new valve body and conductor plate, then they can program it to the car for over $1300 in labor and $1500 in parts.I said no thanks and even if i fix the old conductor plate and buy the new conductor plate I would still need benz to do all the computer work and they want $1300. It take 30 min to take the vavle body off lol.

Last edited by DaveS500; 02-29-2020 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:22 AM

GL320
Oh geez, thats true and not true at the same time. Its true that benz dealers want the old one to get the flow data from it and thats all they want to do to avoid doing a few extra steps. Its also not true that you would need to buy a new valve body because of it. Heres why.

There is a 10 digit number etched on the side of the valve body otherwise known as the EHS number. This is what tells the plate what the valve body flow rate is. All they have to do is write that number to the new plate in developer mode and the plate will know which software it needs based on that number. Then they will need to online SCN code the plate to your specific car and personalize, detatch transport mode, then perform adaptation. Good as new.

Last edited by dhurley; 02-29-2020 at 09:25 AM.