CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Front Plates on my CLK55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'02 Silver CLK55 Cab
Front Plates on my CLK55

Now that my AZ car is living in CO i have to put a front plate bracket on. Thought of drilling and bolting it on is needless to say unplesant now that i've gotten used to the look without it. To top it all off my dealer doesnt have any and suggested the AZ dealer may have some laying around since they dont use them. Well they dont since they leave them all in the trunk with the spare tire. Anyone out there have a silver CLK who doesnt need their front plate holder?
Old 03-29-2005, 09:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W208
GD2BME I also live in the Mile Hi City and do not have a front plate. I did get a ticket once when I parked downtown.Like you Ilike the look wihtout it.
Rock On!
Old 03-29-2005, 10:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 silver
yeah, don't worry about it. I had a 96 Trans am, I ran no front plate for several years and never had a problem. I am tempted to remove the front plate holder from my clk (black). I think it's just a fine for no plate, but not sure.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:04 PM

'02 Silver CLK55 Cab
what was the damage on the ticket, just a fine?
Old 03-31-2005, 07:17 PM

2004 Mercedes Benz CLK 500
it should only be a fix it ticket at max. In CA where I live, fix it tickets are like 15-25 dollars..not that bad. I have ran my clk500 without a front plate or bracket since buying the car and had no problems so far. *knock on wood*
Old 03-31-2005, 11:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
00 KLEEMANN CLK 430 - 02 KLEEMANN CLK55 - 88 Euro / Jap AMG 560 SEC Widebody
I'm all for the no front tag look and agree that the cost of the occasional ticket is worth the clean front end. I don't have a front tag on my car. One thing though, if it's a law in your state that your vehicle display a front tag and your car doesn't have one, that constitutes probable cause for a police officer to pull you over. Not a big deal - EXCEPT, what if you've had a few to drink? In Virginia the legal limit is only .08. Most people can drive just fine at .08 and would not be so drunk that they would be driving in a way that would attract an officer's attnetion so as to cause him to pull you over. But if there's no front plate, then that's enough to pull you over. Once you've been stopped, then down goes your window and all of a sudden the officer smells alcohol... then you're on the side of the road seeing how long you can stand on one leg or if you can count backwards from 84 to 67. Next thing you know, you get a conviction for DWI and the insurance on your beloved Benz goes through the sunroof.....
Old 04-01-2005, 12:16 AM

CLK 320
I'm saving mine just in case I get a ticket. I too prefer not to install the front plate. I think MB should have designed something so you didn't have to drill (easier to take off too).

I'm in the Los Angeles area and I heard that LAX has been ticketing cars lately without the front plate.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:43 AM

'02 Silver CLK55 Cab
[QUOTE=lowphat]I'm all for the no front tag look and agree that the cost of the occasional ticket is worth the clean front end. I don't have a front tag on my car. One thing though, if it's a law in your state that your vehicle display a front tag and your car doesn't have one, that constitutes probable cause for a police officer to pull you over. Not a big deal - EXCEPT, what if you've had a few to drink? In Virginia the legal limit is only .08. Most people can drive just fine at .08 and would not be so drunk that they would be driving in a way that would attract an officer's attnetion so as to cause him to pull you over. But if there's no front plate, then that's enough to pull you over. Once you've been stopped, then down goes your window and all of a sudden the officer smells alcohol... then you're on the side of the road seeing how long you can stand on one leg or if you can count backwards from 84 to 67. Next thing you know, you get a conviction for DWI and the insurance on your beloved Benz goes through the sunroof..... [just as long as they dont search the trunk and find the 3 keys of hash and the dealer's body]
Old 04-01-2005, 02:28 PM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E55, 2002 CLK55, 2005 SLK350 also a 2009 BMW 335-IX
Installing plate holder without holes...

I had to attach my Front Plate and Holder temporarily for a VIN certification at the local Highway Patrol office (I was transferring the title to my Florida home). I used some very strong double stick tape and it held on fine. I would imagine that this would work longer term if needed. When you want to remove the plate frame, use a hair dryer to loosen and soften the tape and you should be OK... It beats drilling holes!

HEO
Old 04-01-2005, 08:46 PM

2006 SLK55 AMG/// 2006 Porsche CaymanS 2010 135i
Originally Posted by dennism13
I'm saving mine just in case I get a ticket. I too prefer not to install the front plate. I think MB should have designed something so you didn't have to drill (easier to take off too).

I'm in the Los Angeles area and I heard that LAX has been ticketing cars lately without the front plate.
I'm from Chicago and tickets for missing plates are now $50 a pop, even putting the plate in the front window when you are parked doesn't work anymore. I gave up and put the bracket on my C55 Some of my friends with S4's or TT's do "the magnet thing" where they epoxy 6 high strength magnets under the bumper skin (very easy on an Audi because the center piece is removeable) and do the same to a steel plate bracket. Then they can install or remove the plate as often as they like, the magnets hold very well too. I'm not sure if anybody has tried this on an MB but a web search may turn up a similar solution. The magnets come from www.gaussboys.com
For a visual of the Audi solution see:
http://home.earthlink.net/~tsitmc/au...nseplatemount/
Old 04-01-2005, 09:09 PM

2004 CLK500, 78 6.9,
WOW what a great idea