CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Engine Ticking Sound

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 03:45 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK55
Engine Ticking Sound

Hey folks. I have been searching forums, TSB's, etc regarding a sound coming from my engine. When it starts up and isn't at running temp, I hear a "tick, tick, tick, tick, tick" where its rythm is in time with the engine revolutions (faster rev, faster tick). Seems to go away or become almost nonexistent when engine is warm.

I remember reading about this SOMEWHERE (but for the life of me I can't find the info ) that this sound was a non-critical issue with the engine. Before taking it to the dealer and getting fleeced, wanted to see what my brethren here might know.

Car: 2001 CLK55 AMG (W208)
Miles: 36K

Thanks in advance for your help!
Khan
Old 07-07-2005, 07:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
E 63S Wagon Renntech, E55 Renntech, SL65, SL 55 030, ML, bunch of old ones--they come, they go...
Noisy lifters, most likely...

not a bad fix and probably still under warranty, maybe with a little pressure and/or good attitude. Common problem among many late model V8"s.
Old 07-07-2005, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes
hey Khan,

After you get the ticking checked out you need to put some miles on that puppy.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:19 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 186 Likes on 135 Posts
Compare it to another 208 55 before you start with lifters
Old 07-11-2005, 01:04 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 CLK55
Originally Posted by M1M2M3
hey Khan,

After you get the ticking checked out you need to put some miles on that puppy.
LOL Of course! I just use it for mostly racing at the moment hence the low miles.

Last edited by khansmith; 07-11-2005 at 05:35 PM.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
oh I see. What is your 1/4 mile? I've never brought mine to a track.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:33 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 CLK55
oh I see. What is your 1/4 mile? I've never brought mine to a track.
I don't 1/4 race. I autocross (solo 1) or go on road races (1.5-2 mile tracks).

You should check out the sports car club of america if you are interested in tracking your car (www.scca.com)
Attached Thumbnails Engine Ticking Sound-high-speed-corner-2.jpg   Engine Ticking Sound-high-speed-corner-1.jpg   Engine Ticking Sound-finish-line.jpg   Engine Ticking Sound-poser.jpg   Engine Ticking Sound-pir2.gif  

Last edited by khansmith; 07-11-2005 at 05:39 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 07-11-2005, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
That's pretty cool. There aren't any tracks near me. You must go through tires and breaks pretty quickly. Did you do anything to the car or is it stock?
Old 07-11-2005, 05:53 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 CLK55
That's pretty cool. There aren't any tracks near me. You must go through tires and breaks pretty quickly. Did you do anything to the car or is it stock?
Your profile says NY. You would be surprised. Also, autocross is conducted in large parking lots or on reserved airstrips. Check out the SCCA and check out your region. AT the top of the page it says "find a region near you"

As for the car, I have only swapped out stock springs and installed H&R springs to get a lower adn stiffer ride.

Brakes and tires are definitly going fast. I am going to swap out my brake pads with race pads. I am also going to break down and buy a set of track tires and mount them on my stock rims...that way I have to buy a set of every day rims right? :v Seriously though, autocross isn't as hard on your tires if you are just starting out (it does matter once you become competitive). I was at an autocross yesterday and this guy brought his S2000 that he just bought off the lot!!

Track is VERY hard on brakes and tires. I was hitting 130mph on straights then you have about 500 feet to slow down quickly to hit a chicane. That is the stuff where I found my stock brake pads and tires would start to fail in 4th lap. Here is a picture of my stock tire after a track day.
Attached Thumbnails Engine Ticking Sound-picture-022.jpg  
Old 07-12-2005, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Wow. I can't say I've seen a tire warped like that before. After four laps and the brakes fade, do they feel good again after they cool or is there a noticable reduction.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:49 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
About the ticking sound, I asked the same question to a friend who was a tech at mercedes. He said its normal and it comes from this black circular thing towards the front drivers side of the engine bay (I forgot what its called). I'll be more specific when I get off of work and look at it again. Next time you hear the ticking try to listen where its coming form, I'm pretty sure you'll find yourself staring at a circular black "thing". Its something for emissions and regulates gas or something. It makes an annoying ticking sound.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:32 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 CLK55
Thanks so much for looking into that for me. It has been driving me nuts!!

As for the tire/brake fade question, it does go away very quickly once everythihng has cooled down.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:16 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 CLK55
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
About the ticking sound, I asked the same question to a friend who was a tech at mercedes. He said its normal and it comes from this black circular thing towards the front drivers side of the engine bay (I forgot what its called). I'll be more specific when I get off of work and look at it again. Next time you hear the ticking try to listen where its coming form, I'm pretty sure you'll find yourself staring at a circular black "thing". Its something for emissions and regulates gas or something. It makes an annoying ticking sound.
Blackbenzz: I listened and when I face the engine compartment, it is coming from the left side of th engine bay and on the right but seems stronger on the left. Also, I don't think it is the lifters as other have suggested because the ticking is a singular tick and not multiple ticks (think like a centipede vs a pencil tapping). I am very thankful for you asking on my behalf.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
khansmith,

Have you driven other cars at the track? If so, how do you feel the CLK55 fares in the handling department compared to what you have run previously?
Old 07-14-2005, 10:48 AM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
If its coming from the left side (passenger side) its not what I'm talking about, unless the layout of the 55 engine is totally different than the 430. From how you're explaining it, sound slike something that is in contact with the drive belt. Maybe a pulley. Have you ever tried taking a long screw driver and putting it against different engine accessories (i.e. compressor, alternator, etc.) and putting your ear to the other end of the screw driver? This amplifies the sound and you will be able to tell if its coming from one fo the belt driven accessories. Hope this helps.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:49 AM
Almost a Member!

2001 CLK55
Originally Posted by Chappy
khansmith,

Have you driven other cars at the track? If so, how do you feel the CLK55 fares in the handling department compared to what you have run previously?
This is a relative question. You have two main areas that a car is challenged:
1.) Cornering
2.) Speed (think straights and passing)

Every car has its weakness. For example, a 911 is an awesome track car. However, a little bit of rain sends these cars into 180's around a corner. A Miata is probably one of the coolest little track cars. You can get decent speed out of them and great cornering. Our cars are heavy in the front which can cause understeer. In autocross, are cars are not so hot as compared to say a WRX. However, on a larger track, it isn't so bad but is a killer on the straights and passing. Also, with any weakness, you can correct. Since our cars are so heavy in the front, you want a track tire that is made for heavy/ high horse power engines. This can help with grip in corners along with stiffer suspension.

For me, track days are a time not necessarily to compete with others but for me to find the limits of the car and my ability. Also to hone my ability. Most important part is to have a ton of fun. There is nothing like having your car in a four wheel slide around the corner with your wheel in automatic lock. When I go, I turn on ESP and keep the car in 3rd gear. That way, it is just me and the car minus the computer So to answer the question, it really isn't a comparison between cars that matter; it is more important that you know how to drive the car. My instructor took my car against GT3's and kept up with them and even passed them sometimes in the corner because he knew how to manipulate the weight of the car. He taught me that racing is nothing more than shifting the weight of the car around at the right time by using the forces under your control (steering, braking, accelaration, etc) If you know your mix, you can be a contender in your car.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:56 AM
Almost a Member!

2001 CLK55
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
If its coming from the left side (passenger side) its not what I'm talking about, unless the layout of the 55 engine is totally different than the 430. From how you're explaining it, sound slike something that is in contact with the drive belt. Maybe a pulley. Have you ever tried taking a long screw driver and putting it against different engine accessories (i.e. compressor, alternator, etc.) and putting your ear to the other end of the screw driver? This amplifies the sound and you will be able to tell if its coming from one fo the belt driven accessories. Hope this helps.
Blackbenzz:
Great advice. I will use that tip. Just the same, could you still ask your buddy what was the cause of that sound? Any reference would help before I bring it in. Thanks alot man, I owe you one!
Old 07-14-2005, 10:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 CLK55
Lightbulb I believe I know what it is...

Originally Posted by khansmith
Blackbenzz:
Great advice. I will use that tip. Just the same, could you still ask your buddy what was the cause of that sound? Any reference would help before I bring it in. Thanks alot man, I owe you one!

I think that it's the fuel tank ventalation purge valve. It's the little black circular thing (about 2" diameter approx.) that has a few wires and two steel tubes running to it located on the driver's side of the engine bay. Next time you hear the ticking, press your finger against the box to see if you can feel a tapping that's in synch with the tapping sound. From what I understand, it won't cause any problems and it won't strand you anywhere, but it will get noisier. Apparantely it's a pretty common failure with our cars. I hope this helps and that is all it is!

Best regards,
Matt

Last edited by AMG///Merc; 07-14-2005 at 10:56 PM.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:52 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 186 Likes on 135 Posts
The purge valve ticking will not increase with engine speed...
Old 07-19-2005, 12:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by AMG///Merc
I think that it's the fuel tank ventalation purge valve. It's the little black circular thing (about 2" diameter approx.) that has a few wires and two steel tubes running to it located on the driver's side of the engine bay. Next time you hear the ticking, press your finger against the box to see if you can feel a tapping that's in synch with the tapping sound. From what I understand, it won't cause any problems and it won't strand you anywhere, but it will get noisier. Apparantely it's a pretty common failure with our cars. I hope this helps and that is all it is!

Best regards,
Matt
Thats what I was talking about, it also says MOT across the top in white.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:16 PM

04 E55
Originally Posted by khansmith
This is a relative question. You have two main areas that a car is challenged:
1.) Cornering
2.) Speed (think straights and passing)

Every car has its weakness. For example, a 911 is an awesome track car. However, a little bit of rain sends these cars into 180's around a corner. A Miata is probably one of the coolest little track cars. You can get decent speed out of them and great cornering. Our cars are heavy in the front which can cause understeer. In autocross, are cars are not so hot as compared to say a WRX. However, on a larger track, it isn't so bad but is a killer on the straights and passing. Also, with any weakness, you can correct. Since our cars are so heavy in the front, you want a track tire that is made for heavy/ high horse power engines. This can help with grip in corners along with stiffer suspension.

For me, track days are a time not necessarily to compete with others but for me to find the limits of the car and my ability. Also to hone my ability. Most important part is to have a ton of fun. There is nothing like having your car in a four wheel slide around the corner with your wheel in automatic lock. When I go, I turn on ESP and keep the car in 3rd gear. That way, it is just me and the car minus the computer So to answer the question, it really isn't a comparison between cars that matter; it is more important that you know how to drive the car. My instructor took my car against GT3's and kept up with them and even passed them sometimes in the corner because he knew how to manipulate the weight of the car. He taught me that racing is nothing more than shifting the weight of the car around at the right time by using the forces under your control (steering, braking, accelaration, etc) If you know your mix, you can be a contender in your car.

Well said... I think to truely open your car to it's limits and it's full potential, you must learn to fully control your car... The more I learn my own vehicle, the more confident you become. The less comfortable you will feel when you step into other vechicles. I used to drive my mom's 97 civic (bone stock) here and there and knew that car so well. My friend in his boxster at the time coudn't keep up with me on the streets after flying around corners and corners. It was because I knew that civic so well and knew how to control and handle it well that I was able to push it to it's limit. On the other hand, my friend probably didn't know his boxster too well, or possibly could of been chicken sh$t and didn't throw his boxster around as well and didn't keep up cuz of that. Who knows, he could of been one of those guys that shifts half way before redline. Some ppl get scared when they hear their tires squeak while cornering meanwhile others know exactly how much they can squeak their tires without ending around a pole or the ditch.

I'm still learning my car right now. I think I'd learn it alot more on the track as I dont' wanna test it's potential and certain limits I should reach too on the streest and end up wrapping it around a pole somewhere in the city and possibly injurying someone or myself. The car feels much better the more I learn it tho. It also seems lighter and lighter the more I can control it.