CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Transmission Upgrades

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 08:42 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 CLK 55
Transmission Upgrades

I know where to buy everything for the engine, exhaust, brakes, forced induction, etc, but can not find any thing for the electronics or mechanics in the transmission. If anyone has had experience with this please let me know. I am in the process of building my motor to 800+ hp. I have custom fabricators for everything else, but no transmission. All help and input is appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by shan12; 09-22-2005 at 08:45 PM.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
The only transmission mods I have seen (other than the 6-speed manual option by RennTech) is the "transmission upgrade" offered on their website.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:48 PM
CHB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'79 300D, '85 300Dt, '99 CLK430
Originally Posted by shan12
I am in the process of building my motor to 800+ hp.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:58 PM

C32 AMG
renntech also used to offer a tranmission software upgrade, but i dont know if they still do
Old 09-23-2005, 11:29 AM
Almost a Member!

01 CLK 55
I did not look at Renntech for the transmission. I appreciate the input. I just try to stay away from the high priced sites like that, but I will check into it and call them to see if they have any other upgrades. Thanks again.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 Coupe
dayum ****! 800?!
Old 09-23-2005, 06:48 PM
Almost a Member!

01 CLK 55
We are building the motor in stages starting with the HPS supercharger at 7lbs boost and then we will move that hopefully to the 8-9 range with a water injector. At that time I will add new cats, exhaust, airbox, pulleys, etc.....just about anybolt on that I can find. We are building it slow to monitor the gains. After we shell the motor then we will rebuild it with forged pistons to push the boost higher or even if we don't blow it, but I want to make it to 800hp. I have not seen one yet but I'd like to see it. I told Andy at HPS that I will keep them informed as to the progress. Hope to be complete by mid 06.
Old 09-24-2005, 02:42 AM

c43
you would have to bore the engine greatly and increase the rev to even come close to that power....
Old 09-24-2005, 03:15 AM

c43
you would also need cams, headers, thicker head gasket, camillo rods, vavles and seals, ported and poslihed, forge the bottom, as well as reprogrammed ecu...
Old 09-24-2005, 09:55 AM
Almost a Member!

01 CLK 55
The bottom of an AMG 55 is forged except the pistons and on the other parts yes I know but I am building it till it shells. I will gradually up the boost and see what happens. Unless someone has done this and can tell me at what boost level the motor failed? Also the ecu comes with the supercharger and I am sure they will adjust it when the engine is massaged. Another point on boring engines. Boring actually produces minimal gains in HP and you dont have to bore to get revs. You do have to balance your engine to make it more stable to produce higher revs but AMG should have done that stock and I would have to address this issue when I switch to forged pistons. The question of cams should not come into play till higher boost levels unless I want to do an exspensive fit of a cam for 20HP. If you have info because you have built an engine before, please let me know, but I believe AMG has built a very solid engine with internals that should handle 600HP-700HP with boost and bolt ons. I believe after this point there will be problems. If you have only read magazines and see what they do to produce HP then please do not advise me as some of their write ups just include a part because their sponser gave it to them and it did not change the HP output.
Old 09-24-2005, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Shan12,

Try searching for "benzmac" on the forums here. Good luck!
Old 09-24-2005, 10:41 AM

C32 AMG
The bottom of an AMG 55 is forged except the pistons and on the other parts yes I know but I am building it till it shells. I will gradually up the boost and see what happens. Unless someone has done this and can tell me at what boost level the motor failed? Also the ecu comes with the supercharger and I am sure they will adjust it when the engine is massaged. Another point on boring engines. Boring actually produces minimal gains in HP and you dont have to bore to get revs. You do have to balance your engine to make it more stable to produce higher revs but AMG should have done that stock and I would have to address this issue when I switch to forged pistons. The question of cams should not come into play till higher boost levels unless I want to do an exspensive fit of a cam for 20HP. If you have info because you have built an engine before, please let me know, but I believe AMG has built a very solid engine with internals that should handle 600HP-700HP with boost and bolt ons. I believe after this point there will be problems. If you have only read magazines and see what they do to produce HP then please do not advise me as some of their write ups just include a part because their sponser gave it to them and it did not change the HP output.
i remember a member of this forum named sleestack that had a CLK430 which was bored out to 6.x liters or something + kleemann s/c. The last i read about the project, it had been almost a year into it, cost him way more money than he had originally planned, and i think his goal was a "modest" 600-700 hp.

goodluck with yours!
Old 09-24-2005, 04:05 PM
Almost a Member!

01 CLK 55
Thanks for the member name. I'll see if I can email him. Maybe it'll work maybe not.
Old 09-24-2005, 04:07 PM
Almost a Member!

01 CLK 55
Originally Posted by Chappy
Shan12,

Try searching for "benzmac" on the forums here. Good luck!

Thanks also for the member name. I will email them and try to get info. Thanks again.
Old 09-24-2005, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 Coupe
the sleestack project has been "shelfed" for a while. i don't think it actually went anywhere, and the car is **supposedly** just sitting without an engine. that combined with the other thread about evosport's lack of professionalism (in the Off Topic part of the board) really doesn't make the company look that great haha.

Last edited by midget fidger; 09-24-2005 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-24-2005, 05:18 PM
Almost a Member!

01 CLK 55
Originally Posted by midget fidger
the sleestack project has been "shelfed" for a while. i don't think it actually went anywhere, and the car is **supposedly** just sitting without an engine. that combined with the other thread about evosport's lack of professionalism (in the Off Topic part of the board) really doesn't make the company look that great haha.

Thanks, I know that building the 430 could be a nightmare as finding or building custom forged rods and cranks would be to expensive and the Kleemann kits are also out there. But the AMG engines are halfway there as they have forged bottom ends except pistons and there are alot of companies that will custom cut those. So everybody has evosport stuff(pulleys) are they not helpful in other items? I did not see alot on their site.
Old 09-25-2005, 12:19 AM

C32 AMG
Thanks, I know that building the 430 could be a nightmare as finding or building custom forged rods and cranks would be to expensive and the Kleemann kits are also out there. But the AMG engines are halfway there as they have forged bottom ends except pistons and there are alot of companies that will custom cut those. So everybody has evosport stuff(pulleys) are they not helpful in other items? I did not see alot on their site.
does all that actually matter though? Im thinking, to approach anywhere NEAR 800bhp (im assuming you mean bhp and not whp) you would need to enlarge the displacement and/or lower the compression. Isnt the CLK55 around 11.0:1 already? To make a CLK55 approach 800hp you would probably have to increase the liters. In which case, it wouldnt matter if the CLK55 has forged pistons or not because you would need new ones anyways.

i think the 2001 CLK55 does have forged pistons though.

http://www.theautochannel.com/vehicl.../solo0131.html

"The CLK AMG is powered by a hand-assembled 5.5-liter V8 engine. The hardware list reads like that of a race car: forged billet steel crankshaft, forged, weight-matched connecting rods and pistons, lightweight AMG-specific camshafts and a "massaged" intake system for optimal breathing."

goodluck with your project! keep us posted!

may I ask how much your expecting all the engine modifications to cost?
Old 09-26-2005, 01:55 PM
Almost a Member!

01 CLK 55
Originally Posted by IdriveFast
does all that actually matter though? Im thinking, to approach anywhere NEAR 800bhp (im assuming you mean bhp and not whp) you would need to enlarge the displacement and/or lower the compression. Isnt the CLK55 around 11.0:1 already? To make a CLK55 approach 800hp you would probably have to increase the liters. In which case, it wouldnt matter if the CLK55 has forged pistons or not because you would need new ones anyways.

i think the 2001 CLK55 does have forged pistons though.

http://www.theautochannel.com/vehicl.../solo0131.html

"The CLK AMG is powered by a hand-assembled 5.5-liter V8 engine. The hardware list reads like that of a race car: forged billet steel crankshaft, forged, weight-matched connecting rods and pistons, lightweight AMG-specific camshafts and a "massaged" intake system for optimal breathing."

goodluck with your project! keep us posted!

may I ask how much your expecting all the engine modifications to cost?
Yeah I will have to change the pistons from the stock to a lower compression piston for higher boost, but I am going to push it as high as I can and see what problems I experience and hopefully I won't blow it up or do any major damage before I decide to pull the engine. I have kinda estimated about 25K-30K to pay for the project if it goes higher I might bail on the rest of the project. I know that there are cheaper projects with bigger gains, but this is what I have choosen to do. I don't know how it will turn out or if I will make the desired 800 bhp, but I hope to have fun trying.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
We are building the motor in stages starting with the HPS supercharger at 7lbs boost and then we will move that hopefully to the 8-9 range with a water injector. At that time I will add new cats, exhaust, airbox, pulleys, etc.....just about anybolt on that I can find. We are building it slow to monitor the gains. After we shell the motor then we will rebuild it with forged pistons to push the boost higher or even if we don't blow it, but I want to make it to 800hp. I have not seen one yet but I'd like to see it. I told Andy at HPS that I will keep them informed as to the progress. Hope to be complete by mid 06.
You might want to give a call to Brembo and American Parachute to find a way to stop this thing.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 Coupe
hahah...good point about the brakes
Old 09-26-2005, 03:22 PM
Almost a Member!

01 CLK 55
I was really considering FLINTSTONING it. Yeah maybe my Adidas would give out on me.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 Coupe
hahaha nah i wasn't doubting that you had brake mods planned...it was just a funny post
Old 09-26-2005, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes
your going to have to have at least 305s on the back of this puppy or your just going to spin the rears. You prob. need 345s to contain it.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:40 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
No offense, but I dont htink its possible and if it is it would cost WAYYYYY more than 25-30k. Just my opinion so dont be offended.
Old 09-26-2005, 06:13 PM
Almost a Member!

01 CLK 55
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
No offense, but I dont htink its possible and if it is it would cost WAYYYYY more than 25-30k. Just my opinion so dont be offended.
None taken.....but I know that the s/c will set me back about 9K. So there is some room there and I do alot of work my self. Also in TX I get machine work for next to nuthin and a cousin of mine works in a custom exhaust house...etc. Basicly I have cousins and friends in places like that so I hope the freebies will take the edge off a little.But I have seen that most anything else that I would buy is beginning price at 2K. I hope you are wrong though. I will keep every one informed as to what happens. The guy who is going to install the supercharger is researching the system and engine to see how we might proceed at stages. We have talked and he knows that after we put the system on and see what gains are there then begin upgrading gradually. Again I hope I make my price and target. As I build it I will post track E.T. and Dyno sheets. I am purchasing the s/c late Oct early Nov.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Transmission Upgrades