CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

CLK55 / SLK55 Group Buy - EVO Rotors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55
CLK55 / SLK55 Group Buy - EVO Rotors

I spoke to Evosport today and asked them about a possible group buy for their super-light weight rotors. Currently they're only available on the E/CLS/S/CL 55's.

I'd like to see how many of you would be interested. This would help a LOT in performance both straight line and cornering. Here is Evo's write up:

Designed as a direct brake disc replacement, the AMG brake discs on all four corners (No modifications are necessary. The disc will bolt directly to the car and work with OE AMG brake calipers). Not only will the upgraded multi-piece "floating" discs help mitigate brake fade, but are lighter than stock and reduce unsprung weight by a total of 34lbs. on all four corners! This means better acceleration, braking and cornering. In addition, you get to maintain the AMG calipers without going to a more expensive solution that requires replacing them. Available drilled or slotted or slotted.

If anyone is interested, please PM me or just reply.

I hope a few of you are as excited as I am, lets try and make this happen!

Thanks!

P.S. Estimate in Price: About $2000/set & 10 buyers. Could be less!

Last edited by dinko; 09-30-2005 at 02:41 PM.
Old 09-30-2005, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 A4 S Line
Don't forget about the lowly C-Class owners! Those things look sexy...
Old 09-30-2005, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55
I agree with you

But you C55 owners have 13.6 fronts and 11.8 rears. Anything is possible, if you can get 10 C owners, and I can get 10 CLK/SLK owners, I think we can get a DAMN GOOD price for everyone!

Dinko
Old 09-30-2005, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 A4 S Line
Originally Posted by dinko
I agree with you

But you C55 owners have 13.6 fronts and 11.8 rears. Anything is possible, if you can get 10 C owners, and I can get 10 CLK/SLK owners, I think we can get a DAMN GOOD price for everyone!

Dinko
"DAMN GOOD" is a very subjective term. Do we have a ballpark price on these thingies? Oh, and you mentioned "you C55 owners", but I'm a measly C230 owner, so are you saying that they only make them for the AMG's?

*EDIT* I saw where you posted estimated pricing. My bad...
Old 09-30-2005, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55
Originally Posted by Blake P
"DAMN GOOD" is a very subjective term. Do we have a ballpark price on these thingies? Oh, and you mentioned "you C55 owners", but I'm a measly C230 owner, so are you saying that they only make them for the AMG's?

*EDIT* I saw where you posted estimated pricing. My bad...
Sorry for that
If the C230 & C55 brakes are the same, go for it! You will probably see more gains than us 55'ers.

Dinko
Old 09-30-2005, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 A4 S Line
Originally Posted by dinko
Sorry for that
If the C230 & C55 brakes are the same, go for it! You will probably see more gains than us 55'ers.

Dinko
In my case, I upgraded to AMG front brake kit, but apparently the rear rotors are slightly different size between AMG and non-AMG C's. Not sure how this compares to the size of rear rotors of CLK/SLK's.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:23 PM

W208 55 & R170 230
but that price is a bit crazy!!!!...
... I would go for a brembo set up for a little bit more...

4 rotors for $2000 is crazy.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Call up the dealer to see how much they cost.

4-7lb of unsprung weight is around 1-4hp. 34lb lost, let's say that's around 4 more hp on the low side.
Not that bad in my opinion, and you get a lot better looking brakes, and better performance wise too.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:18 AM

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
Has anyone experience with these "light weight" rotors?
With past Porsche and BMWs, I have had lots of problems with rotor warpage. This is a real nuisance when it happens. Rotors that are too thin (thanks to the accounting dept. bean counters), cannot withstand the heat buildup and go out of round or slightly warp causing pulsations when braking at any speed.

Anyone with first hand experience please post. Thanks.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55
Evosport:
Not only will the upgraded disc help mitigate brake fade, but reduce unsprung weight by as much as 15lb. per corner up front! And you get to keep the OE look of the calipers w/o going to a more expensive solution that requires replacing them. These discs are more inline with what you find on the 65 AMG cars.

The central “hat” section of the disc is made from 6061-T6 aircraft specification aluminum. The disc is made from cast iron, constructed in the USA and is made to the same specification and material as used by professional racing organizations. It is a curved vane design, developed in racing to act as a centrifugal pump to force cooling air through the disc.

The rotor and hat have a floating mount system, which utilizes high strength alloy steel drive pins and are cadmium plated for long lasting corrosion resistance. These pins take the load from braking actions while maintaining the axial and radial float between the hat and disc. The pins are secured by grade 12 cap screws with hardened washers.

One more important thing worth mentioning here...the stock discs do NOT have a unique right and left part. This means there will be one side (the right side) where the vanes of the disc are backwards hence working against optimal brake venting. The new discs offer a left and right so that the vanes are pointing the correct direction for venting.
The E55 guys are the first to get these, and when talking to Evo myself it appears that there is absolutely no size diference, thickness, etc. All that has changed is lighter/stronger materials. The OEM are just "basic" rotors. These are a step up in my opinion.

Dinko