CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

New Supercharged CLK55

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-04-2005, 08:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 55
New Supercharged CLK55

Well guys, you will not believe this. It has been a while since my last post(sounds like AA!). The wife wrecked the CLK55 with my modified HPS system.

I changesd the system a lot. I stalled an W-to-A aftercooler and upped the boost. In summary the MP90 with a cooler is not for a 5.4L.

I then removed the water-to-air cooler and installed a water injection kit. All is good except at 7psi the mp90 sounds like a plane.

I have lots of data to show that the base HPS system's 12:1 FMU is not a good set-up on fuel pressure. It goes to 90psi, then starts to trail off to 45 at 4 psi. This says the fuel pump can not keep up. More to come later.

OK, so I call HPS about getting parts about the accident and Adam says to send my list. All happy, and not asking about price as who cares, I send the needed parts list. He then reply's with NO parts and none to be made. Hell, this guy is a real set-off. I am in sales and he does a good job making people sad. Its not that the parts can not be found, but its his people-to-people attitude.

Anyway, I have pushed forward with my Powerdyne head unit install and all I can say is WOW. It sounds stock, looks good and runs so much cooler than a Eaton head unit. No you do not get instant boost, but wait to see the numbers.

OK, the fuel issue with CLK55s or that matter 430s. 1) get an upgraded Bosch fuel pump. That will help some of the blower issues. 2) From a lot of knowledge and testing, all CLK blowers need a Boost-a-pump. Since we can not get at the ECU, we need to play games. 3) I found a unit to tune BOTH timing and the MAF in order to fine tune about 4psi. 4)I forgot, with a boost a pump you can reduce the FMU to a 2:1 unit which is much more safe on everything. Running injectors at 80+psi is not good.

I sure hope the Gen 2 HPS system uses a real tuner to change the ECU. If not, I sure hope they cheat and use some unit to also tune timing. In addition, I hope they include a new fuel pump.

Interested in seeing pics??

If you ask me, HPs should offer 2 systems, the new gen2 and one that is like this. Some people want to be able to remove the blower at low cost to sell later.

Adam, you are a OK guy and the HPS system is a good deal compared to other options. Being a old Ford guy, all the Mercedes aftermaket is a rip-off. However, I must say that most ALL people that deal with HPS seem to have bad vibes. OK you can rip a reply now.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:22 PM

CLK 55
I need to check spelling next time.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
E320CDI, CLK55, and a Smart
Sent you a PM. Please tell me more about the tuning.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W210, W220, W163, W164, C6
Originally Posted by gregc
I sure hope the Gen 2 HPS system uses a real tuner to change the ECU. If not, I sure hope they cheat and use some unit to also tune timing. In addition, I hope they include a new fuel pump.

Interested in seeing pics??
Hey Greg,

Longtime no talk, how are things? Sorry to hear about the wifey wrecking the CLK...however, sounds like the Powerdyne is keeping a big smile on your face

I ended up selling the Gen II HPS kit months ago, after spending $$$ on upgrades (larger heat exchanger, Bosch water pump, Aquamist, Split Second PSC1 and the list goes on)...still wasn't satisfied with the performance

My Gen II system uses the stock fuel pump and the kit included the Vortech 12:1 FMU, I removed the FMU immediately becuz it cause the car to misfire under load and upgrade the Bosch fuel pump per your recommendation. Without splurging to a stand alone management system, the Split Second unit works fine.

Do post some pictures of your Powerdyne setup.
Old 11-05-2005, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S
Pics!
Old 11-07-2005, 10:29 PM

CLK 55
Pics

I am going on a flight and will try to update the web page with all the fuel information.

Boost-a-pump
bigger fuel pump
modified MAF signal to fine tune
modified timing, as its crazy to boost a 11:1 AMG without reducing timing up top
water injection to cool the air and to offer insurance to detonation

HPS should have done this or tuned the EEC. I think Renn does about the same as HPS.
Attached Thumbnails New Supercharged CLK55-finalblower800.jpg   New Supercharged CLK55-blower800.jpg  
Old 11-10-2005, 07:42 PM

W208 55 & R170 230
Greg., haven't talk to you for a while., .. good to hear form you again!

yeah., regarding FMU ., I happen to see the samiliar problem...

Do you have a part number regarding the upgraded pump?
Old 11-10-2005, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Can u list the parts(S/C ,bracket,piggyback ,piping,throttle body,etc)Looks like you did a fantastic job.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:11 AM

AMG 55, 335i, Mini Cooper S
Originally Posted by coolcarlskiC43
Can u list the parts(S/C ,bracket,piggyback ,piping,throttle body,etc)Looks like you did a fantastic job.
Hey Carl, are you goin to SC your car?
Mario
Old 11-11-2005, 03:15 AM

not stock.
Cool

sp what are the numbers? HOw much did you spend in this "new kit"...
Old 11-11-2005, 07:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by E55Cent
Hey Carl, are you goin to SC your car?
Mario
Hey Mario! I got your messages I've just been working crazy hr's down here in Louisiana.

Yes I'd love to supercharge my car if I can get the parts listing from this gentleman. I'll call you one evening this week Mario.We've been wrking sometimes 15hrs a day.

By the way,how's the beast running? She looks very nice,I may have to get those rims

Last edited by ProjectC55; 11-11-2005 at 07:33 AM.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:13 AM

Hey Mario! I got your messages I've just been working crazy hr's down here in Louisiana.

Yes I'd love to supercharge my car if I can get the parts listing from this gentleman. I'll call you one evening this week Mario.We've been wrking sometimes 15hrs a day.

By the way,how's the beast running? She looks very nice,I may have to get those rims
Thanks Carl. I guess you are making mad overtime, perfect for supercharger money. Funny to mentioned the wheels, I might be gettig new chrome and black ones today.
I guess you are going to do a custom Powerdyne, Vortec or Prochager. I would go with Procharger, they are gear driven not belt like the Powerdyne and they are self lubricated so you don't have to tap your motor for oil.
Mario
Old 11-11-2005, 01:05 PM

not stock.
SO how would I go to mount this on my "320" ?????? If I could do this onmy SLK IM THE MAN!!!!

If I could get ANY help from the guys that have already "been" there...it would be awsome. Im guessing that tunning in between the two whould not be thaaat differente.

Last edited by OJwerks; 11-11-2005 at 01:39 PM.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:56 PM

not stock.
Do you find this method better than instally an AMG unit ??? What are the pros/cons ?
Old 11-11-2005, 08:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
You wouldn't find HPS replying anytime soon. They were banned quite a while ago for their **** poor attitude.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks Carl. I guess you are making mad overtime, perfect for supercharger money. Funny to mentioned the wheels, I might be gettig new chrome and black ones today.
I guess you are going to do a custom Powerdyne, Vortec or Prochager. I would go with Procharger, they are gear driven not belt like the Powerdyne and they are self lubricated so you don't have to tap your motor for oil.
Mario
Mario,you don't like the Vortec?
Old 11-12-2005, 12:12 AM

Mario,you don't like the Vortec?
I think Vortec is a great company, they are one of my customers and they did give me a free polished VSQ blower one time. The only reason I was saying Procharger is because of the less hardware required like the oil feed and return lines. I know on Vette's Procharger is perffered because they fit on the passenger side and Vortec sits on the driver side. By having the Vortec you need to relocate are few things like altatanor and stuff. I guess different blowers spin in different directions.
Old 11-12-2005, 12:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'98 C43/55 AMG Speedybenz Susp. & MBenzNL On Board -- '88 560SL -- '09 JCW MINI -- '97 Jeep TJ Sport
Mario
I thought Powerdyne was self lubricated...? ...but I'm certainly no authority.
Old 11-12-2005, 12:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think Vortec is a great company, they are one of my customers and they did give me a free polished VSQ blower one time. The only reason I was saying Procharger is because of the less hardware required like the oil feed and return lines. I know on Vette's Procharger is perffered because they fit on the passenger side and Vortec sits on the driver side. By having the Vortec you need to relocate are few things like altatanor and stuff. I guess different blowers spin in different directions.
OK thanx Mario.I'm also thinking that the pulley on the powerdyne cannot be upgraded right?
Old 11-12-2005, 07:53 AM

W208 55 & R170 230
I have procharger C2 on my., I vote NO for it,. it loud as hell., and leak oil like crazy!!! if you go online and do a search for procharger.,

8/10 of them has oil leak porblem... I try to ask them for a rebuild., over the phone, the tech just ask me to send it back... I ask how much to rebuild, he just told me to send it back we will quote you later.... I got annoyed by that,, so I did a search... I've seen people saying almost a thousand dollars.... just to reseal it..I end up didnt' sending it back to them (YET).. this company is just a rip off.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:57 AM

OK thanx Mario.I'm also thinking that the pulley on the powerdyne cannot be upgraded right?
I know the outside pulley can be upgraded, but powerdynes are belt driven inside the blower, I guess thats why they are so quiet.

MTimmy: I haven't heard many problems with Procharger before but if this is true, I guess I would stay away to. Maybe Vortec is the way to go. I know that both Vortec and Procharger offer two blowers; a staight cut gear and a cross cut gear for quieter operation.

I just had my Magnuson Eaton blower rebuilt for me and it was done is one day at a very fair price. Magnuson is one of the best aftermarket companies I have delt with in a very long time. The HPS blower had broken bearing and sounded like a rock tumbler, only 3 weeks after install. After my blower was rebuilt I sent the bill to HPS and asked for a spilt (only $125) and they said "sorry" because I didn't bring the car to them. I only live 2 miles from Magnuson and 130 miles form HPS. It was a little disapointing, but I'm greatful it was only $250 to fix. The reason I bought the Generation 1 is because it is simple and I knew I could fix small issues. Once you FI a car there will always be fine adjustments. Over all I'm statified with the car, I plan on doing some more adjustments to get a few more HP's safely.
Mario

Last edited by E55Cent; 11-12-2005 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I just had my Magnuson Eaton blower rebuilt for me and it was done is one day at a very fair price. Magnuson is one of the best aftermarket companies I have delt with in a very long time. The HPS blower had broken bearing and sounded like a rock tumbler, only 3 weeks after install. After my blower was rebuilt I sent the bill to HPS and asked for a spilt (only $125) and they said "sorry" because I didn't bring the car to them. I only live 2 miles from Magnuson and 130 miles form HPS. It was a little disapointing, but I'm greatful it was only $250 to fix. The reason I bought the Generation 1 is because it is simple and I knew I could fix small issues. Once you FI a car there will always be fine adjustments. Over all I'm statified with the car, I plan on doing some more adjustments to get a few more HP's safely.
Mario
Mario I just would not deal with HPS.I'm suprised the unit failed.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:43 PM

W208 55 & R170 230
3 weeks and it failed!., and they don't warranty it!...

what is their unlimited milage warranty for?., the brackets and hoses?....... I highly doubt if they are gonna warranty the FMU either,. because vortech or some other brand made it.... this company is a joke.... no customer service at all....
Old 11-12-2005, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mtimmy
3 weeks and it failed!., and they don't warranty it!...

what is their unlimited milage warranty for?., the brackets and hoses?....... I highly doubt if they are gonna warranty the FMU either,. because vortech or some other brand made it.... this company is a joke.... no customer service at all....
Mario took the charger to someone else b4 speaking to HPS.That's why they refused to reimburse him.
Old 11-12-2005, 08:01 PM

Mario took the charger to someone else b4 speaking to HPS.That's why they refused to reimburse him.
I spoke to HPS first and since I live so close to Magnuson they said "sure" and we will work it out later. Its not like I took it to a random place I took it to the place where HPS buys their blowers from, and I was only asking for $125.

The thing I have going for me is that since I put the kit in myself, I can now fix future issues. Also Vortec, Magnuson, Wilwood, Nuspeed, and Jackson racing are my customers are only minutes from my house.

I might remove the FMU and just go with a 200psi fuel pump and the new SpiltSecond for fuel/air and timming. I have already had the stock blower pulley milled down a bit. I got about another 1.5lbs of boost so I will need more fuel.
Mario

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: New Supercharged CLK55