CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Got our new ride mated to my clk55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk55, 06 Cayman S, Vishnu EVO 8 stage 1 +, and X5
Got our new ride mated to my clk55

http://205.158.128.81
And I'm at work driving my clk 55.....because it's an auto.

Last edited by v8rush; 02-03-2006 at 02:27 PM.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Cayman.. nice.
Time to update your sig and profile!
Old 02-03-2006, 10:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W208
Nice pics!
Old 02-04-2006, 01:38 AM

2002 CLK55
NIce Rides
Old 02-04-2006, 07:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Piece of SH*T
What more can you ask for? Looking good man
Old 02-04-2006, 08:31 AM

2005 SL600 by SPEEDRIVEN
Compare

How does the Cayman compare to the CLK55? I have read the reviews and it seems about as fast as the CLK. Is it faster? I assume the handling is better also but would be interested in your feed back? Why not compare the modded and stock EVO also. Thanks.
Old 02-04-2006, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
I still think the cayman would look even more badass without those silly foglights in the front air dams.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:34 AM
RDD

03 M3 coupe 6MT, 05 A6 (wife + kid's)
How do you decide which one to drive? I have an Accord and the CLK so I'll drive the Accord if the weather is bad or if I'm driving through a sketchy part of town or if I'm hauling 5 people and all of them are bringing drinks into the car. The Accord is an '05 too

Nice stable btw.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Nice pairing!
Old 02-06-2006, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by ashutt
How does the Cayman compare to the CLK55? I have read the reviews and it seems about as fast as the CLK. Is it faster? I assume the handling is better also but would be interested in your feed back? Why not compare the modded and stock EVO also. Thanks.
the CLK55 should be faster from a roll on a highway, as long as there's no speed limiter. No doubt about it, because of the torque.Cayman can go 170 mph. I have not fully exploited the Cayman in the highway because of the break-in period. But I did noticed a loud growl past 6000 RPM on the third gear (I have done it only onces because I was so tempted) and the car did pull hard. Below is my comparison with my EVO8.

Initial impressions, compared to my Vishnu EVO8 (~385HP), is that it handles better on the curves and very well balanced. Power wise, it doesn't pull hard as my EVO and CLK55, but it's descent enough. The sound inside is like a turbine sucking a lot of air with a loud growl above 6000 RPM. I hit this RPM only once after 100 miles just to comply with the suuggested brake-in rules (2000 miles according to the manual). I have been driving it around town and it is quite addicting, especially the sound of the motor. The AMG V8's sound is also addicting but this flat six mounted at the back makes you want more. The funny thing is that I was looking for the engine cover and there wasn't any. I thought it was like the boxster where you can peek at the engine but this cover is no where to be found. An aluminum panel covers it. The Cayman shifter, for me, is not as spot-on as the EVO (maybe the Cayman sports shifter option is different). The Cayman shifter is smooth but sometimes you can easily loose track which gear it is, especially the first, fifth, and sixth. Heel and toes looks good because the pedals are so close to each other. I felt that heel and toe is easier in the Cayman than my EVO.
The Cayman chasis is so stiff that I thought my EVO is already stiff enough. I have driven it into some canyon and this thing just glides into the esses with a very small feel of understeer. The Cayman feels heavy underneath that it feels like it is glued to the ground or some magnet is pulling underneath the chasis . The EVO when driven feels light but the Cayman feels heavy for 2985 lbs. Side to side transition is pretty much the same between the EVO and Cayman. I drove my EVO on that same road and the difference was, with the EVO, it cuts through the canyon with so much intensity, nervousness (must be the quick steering ratio), telepatic steering, understeer, and full of G forces while the Cayman glides through the esses with much more confidence, inspiring, smoothness, fantastic sound effects, meaty steering (I have to agree that the EVO's steering is more telepatic), less understeer, and more G forces. The Cayman handles so good that you can drive it everyday while the EVO brings so much input from the road that it punishes you with its hard ride.
These are just my initial impressions and this might change everthing after the break in period. For me. it is a fun car to drive everyday.

Stock EVO and a moded EVO is like night and day. Stock EVO doesn't pull hard on the top end. Now with cams and cam gears, it flies. But there's still some issues with the EVO's gearing in the top end. The CLK 55 pulled much harder above 125 mph to way past 155 mph as compared to a moded EVO. But the EVO pulls harder from 80 mph to around 125 mph. Me and my friend have done this EVO and CLK 55 comparo, and the CLK55 pulled away from the EVO above ~130 mph. The gearing of the EVO on the topend sucks.
It's harder to get out of the Cayman than the CLK55 and the EVO. The stock Cayman looks lower than a lowered CLK55 with H&R springs.

Last edited by v8rush; 02-06-2006 at 05:21 PM.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by RDD
How do you decide which one to drive? I have an Accord and the CLK so I'll drive the Accord if the weather is bad or if I'm driving through a sketchy part of town or if I'm hauling 5 people and all of them are bringing drinks into the car. The Accord is an '05 too

Nice stable btw.
One early morning as I was about to go to work, I openned the door to my garage. I was all set to drive the CLK, because I know there will be traffic, but ended driving the Cayman. I have not taken any coffee at that time so I was a little bit sleepy. A few blocks down the road, before the main road, I thought I was driving my CLK because I was looking for my mp3 player. Then I realized I was on a car that doesn't have any mp3 player.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Stiggs
I still think the cayman would look even more badass without those silly foglights in the front air dams.
Agreed.