CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Does anyone change their own oil before service intervals?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 11:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Boxster
Does anyone change their own oil before service intervals?

Does anyone change their own oil between service intervals? It seems that the oil is hardly changed. I'm used to changing every 3k miles even on synthetics.

If i change my own oil how many quarts and any tips?
Old 06-19-2006, 03:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupé
Yeah, I'm thinking about changing mine too since it's coming up on six months. I've only put on about 2000 miles in this interval, but I have heard that you should never let oil sit longer than six months.

But maybe it's a different story with synthetic?
Old 06-19-2006, 07:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
New Mobil 1 and filter every 5K, whether my dime or on theirs.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 74 Likes on 57 Posts
18 G550, 18 C350e
I'm changing mine at the 5k mark.

My friend followed the free BMW oil changes with his 323ci and the oil was always really really dark and gooey by the time he had it changed (all city driving)
Old 07-07-2006, 03:27 PM

Boxster
Does anybody change their own oil? Or most of ya just take it in?

I just had the tech did mine in between intervals and he had mentioned if I was doing it myself I should remove the oil filter which you can drain an extra quart. He fills 9 quarts. Anymore tips for those do it yourself people out there?
Old 07-07-2006, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
I've never changed the oil myself.....I'd rather spend the money and have it done right. When I first bought the CLK i waited until the computer told me to service the car.....but that took forever. So now I change it every 5K miles wether it needs it or not!
Old 07-07-2006, 11:13 PM

Boxster
Originally Posted by Stiggs
I've never changed the oil myself.....I'd rather spend the money and have it done right.
Do you really believe in that? I have seen a 20year of experience tech that did not instally my air filter correctly. You know what they say, if you want it done right you must do it yourself.
Old 07-08-2006, 07:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
Originally Posted by gixxer
Do you really believe in that? I have seen a 20year of experience tech that did not instally my air filter correctly. You know what they say, if you want it done right you must do it yourself.
Yeah but I didn't go to auto school...I've never changed oil in my life. Now who do you think has a better chance of messing it up, me or the tech. At least he's done it before...I hope. What do you suggest, go to Jiffy Lube?

I think you'll agree I really have limited options.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:42 AM

Boxster
That's cool. I just wish this forum had a FAQS that includes step-by-step instructions for the DIY’ers on this forum. The techs did show me how to get the air box off and that was really nice of him. They just go by job number and don’t really take the time to do it properly. It’s sort of like the top right screw is tighter than the lower right and improper seating of the air filter, which shows orange.

I had to make a special request for the air filter check. The service manager says they always check the air filter but I ask the tech personally out back and he said no. I stood back there and supervised to see that the filter is so dirty. They told me that the air filter is not included in the free maintenance anyways? Can someone confirm this? I didn’t care at the time but I did not know the stupid Fram like filter that usually cost $5.99 Mercedes charges $70 for! What I realize is that the better the car you drive the more you get ripped off.

For your infomation usually an oil change consist of the screw on bottom and filter on top. You just remove the oil filter, uncapped the filler and unscewthe bottom bolt to drain. You just rescrew the plug on bottom, put new filter and refill the oil. It usually takes 10mins with a drive on ramp. The oil at Walmart cost $20 for five quarts of Mobile 1 so that will be $40 plus the cost of the filter. For my case the dealer is about 25 mins away and it will be easier if i change the oil myself in between the intervals.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 SV650S, 11 Santa Fe
Originally Posted by Stiggs
Yeah but I didn't go to auto school...I've never changed oil in my life. Now who do you think has a better chance of messing it up, me or the tech. At least he's done it before...I hope. What do you suggest, go to Jiffy Lube?

I think you'll agree I really have limited options.
I've never worked on a Benz engine before but I always change the oil in my car and my family's cars when I lived at home. Its a very simple process but if you do it yourself it will take longer and get you dirtier. Just depends on if you care that much. It's usually not much cheaper to do it yourself and the extra money might be worth the time and effort you save. Depends on how you look at it really.
Old 07-08-2006, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
Originally Posted by hellcat
I've never worked on a Benz engine before but I always change the oil in my car and my family's cars when I lived at home. Its a very simple process but if you do it yourself it will take longer and get you dirtier. Just depends on if you care that much. It's usually not much cheaper to do it yourself and the extra money might be worth the time and effort you save. Depends on how you look at it really.
A key point would be I was never taught or I never learned how to change oil. Of course I can learn.....but it is not worth it to me at this point in my life. Just remember...it's hard to do something correctly if you have never been taught the correct way to do it.