CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Rear differential change in a w209 CLK55 AMG??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear differential change in a w209 CLK55 AMG??

Anyone have any prices or information on a rear end swap? And what are the different gearing options? I'm going to be picking up a CLK55 here in a few weeks, and it's not going to stay stock, and I think the gearing in the tranny would go well with some 3.40-ish rear end gears.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:06 PM

All of them!
Originally Posted by baldurann
Anyone have any prices or information on a rear end swap? And what are the different gearing options? I'm going to be picking up a CLK55 here in a few weeks, and it's not going to stay stock, and I think the gearing in the tranny would go well with some 3.40-ish rear end gears.
Been there, done that. Don't waste your time. I know sounds quick. Just makes it impossible to get traction, especially with an open differential.
Here's a video of my 500E with 3.46 gears and M/T drag et slicks.
http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...E714E9B2CF.htm
Just stick to adding power to the car, or adding an atb differential like I did to my CLK55..
Old 07-20-2007, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by mbenzman
Been there, done that. Don't waste your time. I know sounds quick. Just makes it impossible to get traction, especially with an open differential.
Here's a video of my 500E with 3.46 gears and M/T drag et slicks.
http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...E714E9B2CF.htm
Just stick to adding power to the car, or adding an atb differential like I did to my CLK55..
I know it's easier to just add power to the car... but traction will be helped with the LSD I'd buy for the car. And the only power mods I'd do are home-fabbed intake (unless someone knows of a nice one on the market) and true duals from the manifolds back. Cams are too expensive for the CLK55, and I'd like it to see high 12's at 112ish. No racecar mods here, that's what I have my Camaro for.. haha
Old 07-22-2007, 10:00 PM

E55 AMG + Mustang GT
Quaife makes a LSD. It costs about $1700-1800 iirc. They don't have one listed for the CLK55, but when I e-mailed them, they told me our rear end is the same as in the E55. So the one that they have listed for the E55, will fit our 209 CLK55.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
the e55 will work on the clk as well. Same goes with the sl600 which is also not listed.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:44 AM

All of them!
I know it's easier to just add power to the car... but traction will be helped with the LSD I'd buy for the car. And the only power mods I'd do are home-fabbed intake (unless someone knows of a nice one on the market) and true duals from the manifolds back. Cams are too expensive for the CLK55, and I'd like it to see high 12's at 112ish. No racecar mods here, that's what I have my Camaro for.. haha
Here's my intake. You may get the mbworld member PTE to chime in here on his exhaust system mods. He had some real nice drag slips, backed up with a great dyno at our last AMG GTG. He is in the process of installing a s/c as we speak along with other tricks.

Originally Posted by Jaki
Quaife makes a LSD. It costs about $1700-1800 iirc. They don't have one listed for the CLK55, but when I e-mailed them, they told me our rear end is the same as in the E55. So the one that they have listed for the E55, will fit our 209 CLK55.
Quaife doesn't manufacture lsd's, they manufacture atb differentials which was my suggestion instead of worrying about gear ratios as is what I did with my CLK55. I would like to have an atb in the 500E like my CLK55 as it has NO downsides like the LSD. I'll still take the LSD over the open diff though.

Here's some differential install pics.

Old 07-23-2007, 10:53 AM

Did you replace the entire intake manifold, or just the tubing to the throttlebody? And does anyone know what the different rear end gear ratios there are to choose from, or where I can find that information? Thanks!
Old 07-23-2007, 01:16 PM

All of them!
Did you replace the entire intake manifold, or just the tubing to the throttlebody? And does anyone know what the different rear end gear ratios there are to choose from, or where I can find that information? Thanks!
The intake has been ported and polished, as well as port matched. read it here:
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...6&goto=newpost

Lots of gears but I wouldn't bother, free advice here acquired first hand, but suit yourself and get disappointed.

Last edited by mbenzman; 07-23-2007 at 01:28 PM.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:59 AM

Lots of gears but I wouldn't bother, free advice here acquired first hand, but suit yourself and get disappointed.
I do very much appreciate the advice, but the only power mods the car will have are intake, possibly ported intake manifold, and exhaust manifolds-back exhaust. I may add a small 50-75hp shot of n20, but I doubt it. Gears / LSD seem like the next best thing to make the car quicker.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce

...........You have a pm.

Ted
Old 12-30-2010, 07:29 PM

clk55 amg 03
Hey Guys ,

Looking for W209 CLK55 2003 rear diffrential, any suggestion where can i find one? and how much am i looking to spend? thanks