CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

AMG posers

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 49 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
I guess I'm most annoyed at people that put AMG badges on non MBZ cars.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:57 PM

Received 158 Likes on 116 Posts
2018 E63S Wagon
Originally Posted by FrankW
Yes its funny to see people put them on non-AMG packed cars, but its funnier to see actual AMG owner making themselves feel better by putting other ppl down. CLS500 AMG on a AMG packaged car is not posing. CLS 55 or 63 on a CLS500 is posing.
I don't put posers down for the most part...unless they are blatant and obnoxious about it. As far as the CLS500 AMG vs CLS55 on a CLS500, I consider both to be posing.

1) Having a CLS500 and just putting an AMG badge on it is like trying to impress someone by lying that you are a doctor. You don't have the education(R&D), the knowledge(engineering, tuning), or the proven skill (engine, suspension, etc)to be one, but you say you do.

2) Having a CLS500 and badging it as a CLS63 AMG is like wearing scrubs while you are lying about being a doctor, carrying around a fake diploma, and bragging about all the people you saved that morning. Still no education, knowledge, or skill...but at least you look the part.

Having a CLS63 is like everyone around you knowing you are a doctor by looking at you. You also have the education(R&D), the knowledge(engineering, tuning), and the proven skill (engine, suspension, etc) to back it up.

I'm more of the "just be proud of what you have" kind of guy. If you own a Mercedes, you're better off than the majority by default. Be thankful for what you have, work hard for want you want, and enjoy life. It will make it all the sweeter when you finally get that AMG you would have posed as before.

Last edited by Carac; 01-06-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:58 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by Gylles Smyth
I think your response kind of missed my point. I was responding to a post from the owner of a "C180CGI AMG" (and no, there's no such AMG model regardless of the badge on the trunk or who placed it there) who commented,

"In some countires, like mine, they do sell the cars with an AMG Sports package and it usually comes with body kits, AMG rims, AMG styled interiors and such. We do have to pay a heft premium for it and they are stuck with the AMG badge straight from the dealership country wide."

To which the gist of my response was that in his locale, the AMG badge on a non-AMG product (whether placed there at the dealer's discretion, as he suggested, by directive from MB, or by some other decree) was probably a non-event, but as a non-AMG product, it would be "politically correct" to debadge. Moreover, should he not remove the AMG badge and proceed to post pictures in these forums (or, expanding on my original thought, refer to his C180 as an actual AMG), he WILL hear about it from AMG owners that don't take kindly to that sort of thing. Personally, I have more important things in life with which to concern myself, but given the opportunity to help someone avoid embarassing themselves here, I'll usually try to do so.

Cheers.
like i've said, those badges are not put on at the dealership, but at the factory when people opt to pay the premium for the AMG package on their car at ROW.

you are still stuck behind the mindset of "AMG = only cars that come with 32/55/63/65 badge" yet to the ROW it means "performance tuner" "premium appearance package"

by your "politically correct" saying, are BMW folks suppose to claw out the M-badge on the wheels, steering wheel, etc. that comes with their M-tech packages??

granted the only difference between Audi's S-Line, BMW's Mtech, and Mercedes AMG package is that the former two did a much better job in creating the difference.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:32 PM

Received 158 Likes on 116 Posts
2018 E63S Wagon
like i've said, those badges are not put on at the dealership, but at the factory when people opt to pay the premium for the AMG package on their car at ROW.

you are still stuck behind the mindset of "AMG = only cars that come with 32/55/63/65 badge" yet to the ROW it means "performance tuner" "premium appearance package"

by your "politically correct" saying, are BMW folks suppose to claw out the M-badge on the wheels, steering wheel, etc. that comes with their M-tech packages??

granted the only difference between Audi's S-Line, BMW's Mtech, and Mercedes AMG package is that the former two did a much better job in creating the difference.
The disconnect is where you have to go to a parts department after the fact and purchase a badge you put on yourself. If it came on the car from the factory (S-line badges, ///M door sills, AMG rims) that's fine.

Last edited by Carac; 01-06-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
In the Market

Good grief.

To your first point, the notion of the AMG badge being added by dealers originated with a previous post (not mine) where an owner said of his "C180CGI AMG":

"In some countires, like mine, they do sell the cars with an AMG Sports package and it usually comes with body kits, AMG rims, AMG styled interiors and such. We do have to pay a heft premium for it and they are stuck with the AMG badge straight from the dealership country wide."

Second, I'm not stuck in any mindset; only trying to point out that if you can't find your car at the Mercedes-AMG Official Global Website, it's a Mercedes, not an AMG. That's not my definition, it's AMG's. Beyond that, my comment was that to leave the badging as is would probably go unnoticed in the ROW, but that in these forums, it would attract criticism.

Finally, no; no one would advocate debadging as you suggest. That's the equivalent to telling those with sport packages to remove the AMG logos embedded in their wheels, exhaust tips, etc. No one has ever suggested that, and I doubt anyone would. More appropriately, if someone outside of North America was badging 328i and 750i BMWs as "M328i" and "M750i" because they were optioned with the M-sport package, I would think that many legitimate M3, M5, etc. owners would be just as vocal about the fact that those aren't actually BMW "M" cars as many of the AMG owners here are regarding people's "C300 AMGs" and "CL600 AMGs." BMW does not manufacture an "M328i"; similarly AMG neither builds or recognizes a "CLS550 AMG".
Old 01-06-2012, 08:27 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
lol, again...you are stuck on the fact that someone "says" yet you do not know if that's what he thinks or the facts. He may be referring to the car are all like that at the dealership when it's ordered with the AMG package and does not meant that the dealership put on those badges. please get through that thick skull.

as far as i can understand and knows from ROW the AMG package is a expensive package that comes with the AMG badge and everything is put on at the factory according to the order sheet.

On these forums people are only making fun of the cars that they see that does not come with the AMG package or badge to begin with. which is why i pointed out kevwood's post wasn't even funny.

also, there is no point to point out the obvious that if they didn't buy a actual AMG that they won't find their VIN on AMG owners club.

you are forgetting BMW for a long time in the 80's did have their normal cars badged as M cars. i.e. the M635csi (e24), M325i (e30). The badge gradually went away as they begin the full fledged M line with the e28 M5 and the e30 M3.

Last edited by FrankW; 01-06-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:32 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by Carac
The disconnect is where you have to go to a parts department after the fact and purchase a badge you put on yourself. If it came on the car from the factory (S-line badges, ///M door sills, AMG rims) that's fine.
exactly. that's why majority of the cars that are on this thread that we're joking about are from the US because of the fact that AMG package are the standard sport package and MBUSA went without the AMG badge for the sole purpose of marketing to further establish the "AMG" moniker in the US.

as far as i'm concerned i only considered those that replaced their C300/350/500/550 badges with the 63/55 and what not poser.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:53 PM

In the Market
lol, again...you are stuck on the fact that someone "says" yet you do not know if that's what he thinks or the facts. He may be referring to the car are all like that at the dealership when it's ordered with the AMG package and does not meant that the dealership put on those badges. please get through that thick skull.

as far as i can understand and knows from ROW the AMG package is a expensive package that comes with the AMG badge and everything is put on at the factory according to the order sheet.

On these forums people are only making fun of the cars that they see that does not come with the AMG package or badge to begin with. which is why i pointed out kevwood's post wasn't even funny.

also, there is no point to point out the obvious that if they didn't buy a actual AMG that they won't find their VIN on AMG owners club.

you are forgetting BMW for a long time in the 80's did have their normal cars badged as M cars. i.e. the M635csi (e24), M325i (e30). The badge gradually went away as they begin the full fledged M line with the e28 M5 and the e30 M3.

Good grief x2!

I am not "stuck" on anything. I was merely pointing out that in a previous response (#1123) in which I was quoted you stated that this was not a dealership practice, and I was clarifying that I never said it was; I only noted that it was common practice in ROW without attribution to anyone in particular. It was Kaewen who attributed the practice to his dealer in Brunei. Not being in Brunei or being familiar with the practices of dealers thereof; I didn't comment one way or the other as to the culprit, only the prevalence. If you're addressing Kaewen's comment, but quoting me, you should expect I'm going to clarify.

As to your other point, no, I haven't forgotten the '80s. From what I've observed, the general consensus around here is that on cars manufactured prior to Mercedes' acquisition of AMG, an AMG badge was fair game on anything tuned or tweaked by AMG, whether a 450SL or a 500SEC with an AMG 5.4, but following its acquisition, referring to a car as an AMG should be reserved for those actually constructed as AMG models (which, from my original point, a C180CGI is not). In other words, if you're driving M635csi or a 380SEC AMG, you're legit, if you're driving a new "M328i" or "E350 AMG", you're not.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55

CLS500 AMG on a AMG packaged car is not posing. CLS 55 or 63 on a CLS500 is posing.
They are both posing. Sorry to burst your reality bubble.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
I don't put posers down for the most part...unless they are blatant and obnoxious about it. As far as the CLS500 AMG vs CLS55 on a CLS500, I consider both to be posing.

1) Having a CLS500 and just putting an AMG badge on it is like trying to impress someone by lying that you are a doctor. You don't have the education(R&D), the knowledge(engineering, tuning), or the proven skill (engine, suspension, etc)to be one, but you say you do.

2) Having a CLS500 and badging it as a CLS63 AMG is like wearing scrubs while you are lying about being a doctor, carrying around a fake diploma, and bragging about all the people you saved that morning. Still no education, knowledge, or skill...but at least you look the part.

Having a CLS63 is like everyone around you knowing you are a doctor by looking at you. You also have the education(R&D), the knowledge(engineering, tuning), and the proven skill (engine, suspension, etc) to back it up.

I'm more of the "just be proud of what you have" kind of guy. If you own a Mercedes, you're better off than the majority by default. Be thankful for what you have, work hard for want you want, and enjoy life. It will make it all the sweeter when you finally get that AMG you would have posed as before.
I'd say this sums it up the best!

Old 01-08-2012, 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
exactly. that's why majority of the cars that are on this thread that we're joking about are from the US because of the fact that AMG package are the standard sport package and MBUSA went without the AMG badge for the sole purpose of marketing to further establish the "AMG" moniker in the US.

as far as i'm concerned i only considered those that replaced their C300/350/500/550 badges with the 63/55 and what not poser.
Are you saying overseas the factory puts the AMG badge on the trunk lid if it has an "AMG Package"? I know for sure they don't do that here. Doesn't make sense why they would do that in other countries. Its still posing to me.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
I highly doubt the factory does that but I know for a fact dealerships do. Here in the UAE, every 500/550 (CLK, E, SL, ML, CLS, S and whatever else) that have the AMG Sport package geot a AMG badge slapped on it as seen in the pic I posted with the CL500. I'm not sure if they are still doing it but cars on the showroom floors had them in 2006 and 2007 when I was looking for my C class.

My CLK500 had an AMG badge on it when I bought it, it was on the car when the original owner (who I bought the car from) bought it here in Dubai. Yes - I took it off...
Old 01-08-2012, 11:22 AM

In the Market

Originally Posted by Stiggs
I'd say this sums it up the best!

Amen.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2020 C363 S / 2007 SLK55 / 2016 F150 4x4 / 1998 Cobra Convertible
Just found this thread....LOVE IT! I've seen the same thing where Mustangs have "SVT" emblems or a rear bumper cover saying Cobra when they're not. SVT is to Ford as AMG is to Mercedes... Even saw a used car lot ad selling a Ford Mustang Cobra...with automatic transmission (not possible.)

I'll never understand 'those' type of people...
Old 01-19-2012, 06:11 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by Stiggs
Are you saying overseas the factory puts the AMG badge on the trunk lid if it has an "AMG Package"? I know for sure they don't do that here. Doesn't make sense why they would do that in other countries. Its still posing to me.
LOL... US is the only country that has option dictated by the headquarter in their respective country. The ROW the sport package does not come with the AMG bodykit and they are called Avantgarde models. Just because American Lacks variety doesnt mean the ROW has to.

And yes, once again those that paid premium for the AMG package do get the AMG badge on the trunk.

The only reason MBUSA pre-destined these "sport" package is the fact it makes them easier to sell by volume and the US market is the largest in the world.

If you still dont get it then im sorry. You need to travel more and get to read those options list.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:40 PM

2006 CLS55
S CLASS POSER

It's been a while, but I got another one. This person was EB on the 91 fwy in the 909.
Attached Thumbnails AMG posers-s-class-poser.jpg  
Old 01-19-2012, 11:45 PM

2006 CLS55
Another S Class Poser. Too Bad............
Attached Thumbnails AMG posers-poser-new.jpg  
Old 01-20-2012, 08:10 AM

2020 C363 S / 2007 SLK55 / 2016 F150 4x4 / 1998 Cobra Convertible
Originally Posted by shane1000
Another S Class Poser. Too Bad............
One right here: https://mbworld.org/forums/new-s-cla...-drls-led.html
Old 01-21-2012, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
Originally Posted by 2012c350
I'm on it! lol
Old 01-21-2012, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5, 2024 Model Y Performance
Originally Posted by 2012c350
Just found this thread....LOVE IT! I've seen the same thing where Mustangs have "SVT" emblems or a rear bumper cover saying Cobra when they're not. SVT is to Ford as AMG is to Mercedes... Even saw a used car lot ad selling a Ford Mustang Cobra...with automatic transmission (not possible.)

I'll never understand 'those' type of people...
Stock no, but modified yes. They make a swap kit for the cobra:

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...n/viewall.html

The BC trans and converter package retails for about $3,400 by itself
Old 01-21-2012, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 428 Likes on 353 Posts
MB’s
Posing and awful driving all in one here. "CLS 500 AMG" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBDvK...eature=related
Old 01-22-2012, 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
omg hideous

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/ctd/2803939903.html

Old 01-23-2012, 05:41 AM

CLK55 AMG
lol not just amg on the back(which doesnt even look OEM) but also the 6.3 badge on the side? please, someone take this car out of his misery!!
Old 01-23-2012, 06:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK55
Originally Posted by Toadster
Damn that thing is a real POS LOL
Old 01-23-2012, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by Toadster
I'm surprised the dealer didn't try to sort that out before putting it on the lot. I could fix that car for the price of a rattle can and a six pack.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 49 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: AMG posers