CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

AMG posers

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 49 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 138 Posts
2002 CL500 to CL55 conversion
Originally Posted by MercsDude
To ME, an AMG is a car built as such either at the original AMG plant (prior to the merge) or at any MB plant by using factory AMG performance components.

I am fortunate enough to own two "VIN" AMG's. Does that make me a better person?...absolutely not. Does that mean I can drive them to their limits? ...God I wish so.

Do I look down on someone that slapped an AMG badge wherever the hell he pleases? ...HELL NO! ....I take it as a compliment.

Fact is, cars guys are the same regardless of what they choose to drive.

well put.

if you agree that a mercedes with amg parts from the factory is an amg. then why not a mercedes with amg parts outside of the factory? not trying to belittle your opinion or cause a ruckus with you specifically, just shooting the **** for the sake of discussion
Old 06-26-2013, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 164 Likes on 132 Posts
R129 SL55 AMG & W208 CLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by ctravis595
this statement makes lots of sense considering you came into a thread with literally 20 pages of me bickering with people and then continued to try to bring up irrelevant points against a 21 year old, l
Come back when you've matured!
Old 06-26-2013, 09:50 PM

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts
New, old Mercedes and REAL AMG's.
well put.

if you agree that a mercedes with amg parts from the factory is an amg. then why not a mercedes with amg parts outside of the factory? not trying to belittle your opinion or cause a ruckus with you specifically, just shooting the **** for the sake of discussion
You don't cause a ruckus at all mate! I left my high horse parked in the office.

In regards to your very valid question, I don't think that the good folks that punch their time card in Affalterbach would consider the machine you describe to be an AMG; and to be honest, I am in no position to contradict them.

Of course this is just my opinion, for what is worth.

What really matters is that you enjoy your ride and you respect it. Feel free to modify it anyway you please, call it whatever you want and have fun with it, who gives a sh*t.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 171 Likes on 155 Posts
99 E320
i think anyone who purchases a MB and who modifies it in any fashion loses the
right to call it a Mercedes because it is no longer in the 'pure' condition it was
when it left the factory. you should immediately strip off all the external emblems
and register it with the DMV as "experimental".

{tongue firmly planted}

many of the arguments above pro/con aren't even consistent which renders the
thread quite laughable.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by raymond g-
i think anyone who purchases a MB and who modifies it in any fashion loses the
right to call it a Mercedes because it is no longer in the 'pure' condition it was
when it left the factory. you should immediately strip off all the external emblems
and register it with the DMV as "experimental".

{tongue firmly planted}

many of the arguments above pro/con aren't even consistent which renders the
thread quite laughable.
in that sense, the first time someone uses a non mercedes oil filter makes it not "pure" anymore. might as well start calling it experimental....

or you could mean that amg's are no longer mercedes benz's because they've been modified so obviously they're not pure anymore?

either direction you take it, inconsistencies are present with that kind of thinking which renders your post quite laughable

Originally Posted by MercsDude
You don't cause a ruckus at all mate! I left my high horse parked in the office.

In regards to your very valid question, I don't think that the good folks that punch their time card in Affalterbach would consider the machine you describe to be an AMG; and to be honest, I am in no position to contradict them.

Of course this is just my opinion, for what is worth.

What really matters is that you enjoy your ride and you respect it. Feel free to modify it anyway you please, call it whatever you want and have fun with it, who gives a sh*t.

i see your point
Old 06-26-2013, 11:14 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
1992 500E, 1994 E500, 2011 E550 and 2018 GLE350
I have a 2003 SL500 that came from MB with the AMG styling package and AMG wheels.
772 AMG STYLING PACKAGE-FRONT SPOILER, SIDE SKIRT
790 AMG 18" SPOKE WHEELS WITH MIXED TIRES

I swapped the tail lights out for SL55 tail lights. Not to make it look like an AMG, but because I think the blackout on the tail lights look better on a red car. I hope this doesn't make me a poser.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ilovemaui1
I have a 2003 SL500 that came from MB with the AMG styling package and AMG wheels.

I swapped the tail lights out for SL55 tail lights. Not to make it look like an AMG, but because I think the blackout on the tail lights look better on a red car. I hope this doesn't make me a poser.
You sir, have an SL500 AMG (Tail Light Swap)
Old 06-27-2013, 01:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Ahmed
You sir, have an SL500 AMG (Tail Light Swap)
there ya have it folks, the verdict straight from the expert on posing himself
Old 06-27-2013, 07:26 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by ilovemaui1

You are not a poser. You are modifying your car to how you like it. This thread has lasted so long because there are non AMG cars that want-a-bees have slapped an AMG badge onto them.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by cindyclk
You are not a poser. You are modifying your car to how you like it. This thread has lasted so long because there are non AMG cars that want-a-bees have slapped an AMG badge onto them.
I love this thread for its entertaining factor.

I have a 1986 190E-16v and I put AMG monoblock wheels on it. I know it is not an AMG but I still went ahead and put an Ebay license plate frame on the rear that says AMG.

Does that make me a poser or a wannabe if Im just having fun with my car?
Old 06-27-2013, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
04 CL55 (sold), 2012 CLS550 (sold), 2014 S550 (sold), 2015 ES300H (DAILY)
wow, I haven't logged on here in a really long time and THIS IS STILL GOING ON?????

Let the poor guy call his car whatever the hell he wants! He sees it as a CL55. Majority of us do not. Lets just agree to disagree because at the end of the day nobody really cares right? The end.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i love your signature

edit:seems there's much more where that came from on the internet...who knew the internet was filled with pictures and videos of naked women?!?! looks like i've found something else to keep me occupied...g'day gentlemen
Old 06-27-2013, 03:03 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2006 R500
travis, just stick to the "I built a clone" defense bro, if you set out to build a clone then you really HAVE to put the emblem on, or it's just wouldn't be as accurate of a clone now, would it?

personally I could care less who puts an amg emblem on their non amg car, or who puts a big turbo sticker on there non turbo car, or who puts stick on fender vents on there fenders, and hoods, and doors.... or who puts a 5" tipped fart can muffler with a 3 foot wing on there 98hp honda, as long as you're happy with your car and no one is forcing me to drive it then I say good for you. carbon fiber stickers? yeah, that's cool... yes I can laugh at it, but to hate? wtf? you gonna be hating a lot of people I guess because in the end there are waaaay more tacky mods out there than classy mods, but, then again, this is really all just opinion too, and you know what they say about those a whole lot of "holier than thou" sentiment in this thread man, I say just live and let live... I laugh just as much at the tacky modder as I do at the guy who goes out and spends a small fortune to buy a car to impress others and thinks there somehow special because they "got it like that"... yeah, you're better than me and all the pee-on's who can't afford what you have

I think anyone would have to have there own set of "issues" if they go so far as to actually be annoyed or upset by someone else's lack of taste or there overall ignorance with there own car, do you have any idea how many tacky people there are out there in one way or another? if that affects you personally in a negative way then you may need help as much as the other guy, in the end I say to each there own, yeah I can laugh at your car and your ignorance but at the same time it's really no skin off my back, if there weren't a ton of tacky mods out there then the really cool mods wouldn't stand out nearly as much, so I say mod on, it's your car, as long as you can hold your lane and don't hit me because of your own stupidity then hey, more power to you man, I don't really have to like it, it's your car...

with travis in particular the biggest fault I find with him on this whole AMG issue is when he tries to convince himself and others that his car is actually an AMG now or that it earned the right to legitimately wear the badge as an AMG conversion, that is going to be debated and fought to the very end because this is not opinion and this is just plain wrong, but as a clone, the argument can hold that the emblem actually belongs there
Old 06-27-2013, 03:41 PM

....and with this closing statement boys and girls, this thread has ended (cross your fingers)
Old 06-28-2013, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

but.............
Old 06-29-2013, 01:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

grow up ahmed
Old 06-29-2013, 06:51 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,416 Likes on 2,855 Posts
2012 CLS63
young, dumb and full of.........nonsense
Old 06-30-2013, 04:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
do you always use that line when you lose in a pissing match against someone younger than you?

Hey Travis,

I know we've settled our differences in the past after one little squabble and I truly do understand your position on this specific issue, but I recommend you don't place too much importance on age. I mean this in all due respect of course, and I don't want to start a war over this, but in discussing AMGs do we really have to fixate on age? People know how old I am here as they do with you. I don't think it matters, and you always seem to hate everyone on here that's older. There will always be older and younger people with both offering interesting perspectives. Please stop perpetuating the stereotype that all Mercedes are driven by older men, there are plenty of "young" members on here so please stop assuming everyone is some old retired man as you did with me and many other members. It makes very little sense looking at the owner age thread to make that conclusion

No reason to pick a fight ALL of the time, it's a forum - not a shouting match.

Last edited by AMGAffalterbach; 06-30-2013 at 04:57 AM.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:25 AM
fd3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 CLK55 AMG 2002 c230k 02 Triumph America 1992 300e
I must ask the question. Is it ok to have amg parts on your merc, I have AMG rims on my c230k (came w them). However I never ever thought to drop the 0 in the c230 badge, but lets say i took a totaled c32 and transferd everything over then do you earn the right to add the AMG w/o being a poser. Pretty much where is the line drawn.

I would like to add I do have a CLK55 AMG. I know the difference in driving experience is unquantifiable from the clk to the c230k, but if you got the c230 on par with the parts, mods and upgrades do you get a pass?

Also is added AMG parts for performance acceptable so long as no badge is added?
opinions??

My last thought while on the subject is why in the world did they not have a kompressor on the clk55 2002? While my c230 is stock with one.
Additionally is there a way to add one that doesn't cost me $10,000??

Yes Porsche guys deff deal with this problem a lot. The most I have seen is on the 944.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
A lot of members have AMG parts on their car, so that is totally fine that doesn't make you a poser in my book unless you them put an AMG badge on the back of your car because you got the AMG door pins from the accessory store, lol. If you found a totaled C32 I doubt you would be able to transfer all of the parts because they wouldn't be intact and the most important part of an AMG is its heart - the engine.

With this being said, I think everyone here would agree AMG parts are perfectly fine if you don't intend to badge so don't worry about that at all. We aren't opposed to the AMG nameplate it's the controversy that surrounds the title and badging of the car thereafter where people are split (IE ctravis that did an entire drivetrain swap and calls it an AMG and some people disagree). To me personally, only AMG factory products with an AMG vin and genuine AMG parts are AMGs, no exceptions.

As for the kompressor you can only look at pricepoints and marketing appeal when it comes to the 2002 CLK55 - not sure if any of us can fully answer that or if they ever gave a reason. Best way to supercharge for cheap is to find a used part and install it yourself if you can do so properly.

By the way I am in the Denver Metro Area, so you should come down to the Cars & Coffee meets at the Sears Outlet in Park Meadows every Saturday morning (8am to noon) to talk to some of the Benz guys (if there is a good turnout) about starting a club. Maybe we can get something rolling as there isn't a large Mercedes exclusive scene or group here at all yet =\

Last edited by AMGAffalterbach; 06-30-2013 at 05:40 AM.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:19 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,416 Likes on 2,855 Posts
2012 CLS63
I debagded mine so I guess it isn't an AMG anymore..........damn I wish I wouldn't
have thrown my emblems away
Old 06-30-2013, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
let's be real, this thread is incredibly off topic to begin with and belongs in an off topic section. it's kinda hard to apply the typical rules enforced on this forum considering we're way out of the intended use of this forum to begin with

shouldn't a thread like this belong somewhere like the private lounge anyways? only makes sense lol
I guess if you had a real AMG and not a poser-mobile then you would know what threads are in The Private Lounge! lmao
Old 06-30-2013, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

yeah you're right, or one could just use common sense to figure out the same thing...
Old 07-01-2013, 12:29 AM
fd3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 CLK55 AMG 2002 c230k 02 Triumph America 1992 300e
Originally Posted by AMGAffalterbach
A lot of members have AMG parts on their car, so that is totally fine that doesn't make you a poser in my book unless you them put an AMG badge on the back of your car because you got the AMG door pins from the accessory store, lol. If you found a totaled C32 I doubt you would be able to transfer all of the parts because they wouldn't be intact and the most important part of an AMG is its heart - the engine.

With this being said, I think everyone here would agree AMG parts are perfectly fine if you don't intend to badge so don't worry about that at all. We aren't opposed to the AMG nameplate it's the controversy that surrounds the title and badging of the car thereafter where people are split (IE ctravis that did an entire drivetrain swap and calls it an AMG and some people disagree). To me personally, only AMG factory products with an AMG vin and genuine AMG parts are AMGs, no exceptions.

As for the kompressor you can only look at pricepoints and marketing appeal when it comes to the 2002 CLK55 - not sure if any of us can fully answer that or if they ever gave a reason. Best way to supercharge for cheap is to find a used part and install it yourself if you can do so properly.

By the way I am in the Denver Metro Area, so you should come down to the Cars & Coffee meets at the Sears Outlet in Park Meadows every Saturday morning (8am to noon) to talk to some of the Benz guys (if there is a good turnout) about starting a club. Maybe we can get something rolling as there isn't a large Mercedes exclusive scene or group here at all yet =\
Lets go the other way on this then. So you say AMG everything w/ no exceptions.
How about on my clk 55 I put non AMG rims and go with the "wave" looking ones from the sl500. I am actually gearing up to sell my c230 but i am taking the rims off which happen to be AMG the multi spoke ones 18" on brand new p zeros. I am not sure it will flow with the car though. I have the monoblocs now and I have never really been a fan. They are just too plain for my taste... I do like some other of the newer merc rims though as well.....

and on it goes

I'll try making it down there this coming saturday. I sleep late so I am not sure but I will try to make it. How many people turn out usually?
Old 07-01-2013, 02:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Stiggs
I guess if you had a real AMG and not a poser-mobile then you would know what threads are in The Private Lounge! lmao
Name:  spit-water-smiley.gif
Views: 63
Size:  6.2 KB

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 49 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: AMG posers