CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

BUYING A 2001 CLKAMG HELP, PROBLEMS AND ISSUES TO LOOK FOR

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BENZ
BUYING A 2001 CLKAMG HELP, PROBLEMS AND ISSUES TO LOOK FOR

Hi
looking at a a 2001 CLK55 with about 120K km (in Canada so is that 70k miles??)
Anyway

Went to see it at a car lot, has the lamps warning on and the cluster was replaced
what are the other typical problems and issues too look out for?

good investment used? or a nightmare?
all comments and opinions appreciated
Thanks in Advance
Old 06-01-2008, 12:56 AM

07' IS 350, 08' E550
Originally Posted by opman1
Hi
looking at a a 2001 CLK55 with about 120K km (in Canada so is that 70k miles??)
Anyway

Went to see it at a car lot, has the lamps warning on and the cluster was replaced
what are the other typical problems and issues too look out for?

good investment used? or a nightmare?
all comments and opinions appreciated
Thanks in Advance
Noooooo Stay away. I just bought me a 2004 CLK 55 AMG and it isn't what I expected. The check engine light is a headache because of faulty parts such as the MAF aka Air Mass Sensor and that's just the beginning....you'll get more feedback from others but in my opinion go with something that's a bit more reliable like a Lexus, Honda or Acura. Oh, not only that but given the mileage on that car I'm sure the spark plugs, air filter, MAF sensor, Oil and maybe even the cataylic converter needs to be replaced. I guess if you're willing to pay an additional 2-3k or more to have the car well serviced then go for it!
Old 06-01-2008, 07:06 AM

Thumbs down Noooooooooooooo Wayyyyyyyyyy

Run Forest..............Run away as fast as you can!
Old 06-01-2008, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
That wouldn't be a car that I'd buy. However, in answer to your queston the normal wear items to watch for at this stage will include:
  • Both motor mounts
  • Trans mount
  • Brake light switch
  • Possibly the differential side seals
  • Flex dics
None of these items are overly expensive. The spark plugs should have been changed by now. Ditto for the transmission fluid.

You may want to consider paying a dealer to inspect the car. If inspected, I’d pay attention to the brake section of the dealer’s spec sheet. AMG rotors are pricey. Nothing ruins a used car purchase like finding it needs $1K in brakes AFTER you get it home.

The not so normal, but not uncommon wear items are the catalytic converters and power seat motors. Those should show up in an inspection.

The cats need to be replaced when the ceramic cores separate from the metal shells. One way to tell if they’re bad is if they rattle just off idle. OE cats are expensive ($2900 for the right side, $800 for the left). Aftermarket high flow cats are about $500 in parts (all 4 cats) plus installation.

As for the seats, if you’re handy, each motor will take about an hour and cost about $130 at US dealers. If you’re not handy the dealer will probably bill a couple of hours labor on top of the part.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
The 208 is more reliable than the 209.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:15 PM

02 CLK 55 AMG , Wifes 91 CE
I'm with Chappy,

I now have almost 110K, drive it daily, get 21-22MPG city/hwy

If you can find a MB Certified 208 do it.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:52 PM

MB
Take heed, this is such good advice for any older AMG 55.

Originally Posted by MarcusF
That wouldn't be a car that I'd buy. However, in answer to your queston the normal wear items to watch for at this stage will include:
  • Both motor mounts
  • Trans mount
  • Brake light switch
  • Possibly the differential side seals
  • Flex dics
None of these items are overly expensive. The spark plugs should have been changed by now. Ditto for the transmission fluid.

You may want to consider paying a dealer to inspect the car. If inspected, I’d pay attention to the brake section of the dealer’s spec sheet. AMG rotors are pricey. Nothing ruins a used car purchase like finding it needs $1K in brakes AFTER you get it home.

The not so normal, but not uncommon wear items are the catalytic converters and power seat motors. Those should show up in an inspection.

The cats need to be replaced when the ceramic cores separate from the metal shells. One way to tell if they’re bad is if they rattle just off idle. OE cats are expensive ($2900 for the right side, $800 for the left). Aftermarket high flow cats are about $500 in parts (all 4 cats) plus installation.

As for the seats, if you’re handy, each motor will take about an hour and cost about $130 at US dealers. If you’re not handy the dealer will probably bill a couple of hours labor on top of the part.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:11 PM

08 CLS63, Honda Accord, 04 911
Take into account what you are buying , although the price could be in the mid-teens in $- this was still a 60k plus MSRP car.

THis will not be the normal .99 spark plugs, $15 oil change, and so on. This goes for all used cars in this category. The AMG models will be a bit more in regards to this, but you get alot more as well.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by 150shot
Take into account what you are buying , although the price could be in the mid-teens in $- this was still a 60k plus MSRP car.

THis will not be the normal .99 spark plugs, $15 oil change, and so on. This goes for all used cars in this category. The AMG models will be a bit more in regards to this, but you get alot more as well.
Yep....9 quarts of Mobil 1 ain't cheap no matter how you slice it!

Great stuff, MarcusF.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 CLK 55 AMG,09 C63 loaded with P30
Mine uses 8qts of Castrol synthetic in my clk55. Right on the full line of the dipstick. 9qts?