CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

GLYCOL CONTAMINATION & THE DEALER WHO DID THE PPI MUST HAVE KNOWN ABOUT THIS ISSUE!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 04:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK500
Angry GLYCOL CONTAMINATION & THE DEALER WHO DID THE PPI MUST HAVE KNOWN ABOUT THIS ISSUE!

About a Month ago I flew to LA to pick up my new car. An 03' CLK500 which was a private party deal. I had the owner of the car take it down to Penske West Convina Mercedes for a Pre-Purchase Inspection.

When I arrived, they told me the car was in EXCELLENT condition and everything checked out. Now one month later, my local dealership, Ken Garff Mercedes in Salt Lake is telling me that they found the dreaded "glycol contamination" in my transmission and that the whole trans was rusted and corroded. This is a KNOWN problem to MBUSA and it's dealers for this year, and I have the internal mercedes documentation stating so, but MBUSA, knor Penske/Ken Garff are not even willing to help me out because I'm not the original owner. Who gives a **** what owner I am your company still produced the problem and installed the defective part in hundreds if not thousands of cars!

I really believe that this should have been a recall but because Mercedes no longer cares about their consumers who are paying top dollar for what the Mercedes name has came to be, and the dealer who inspected the car, knowing this was an issue, still told me go ahead and purchase the car. How in the hell was an issue like this missed? And they are trying to say that it could have been caused within the time period i've had the car? I don't think so. A whole transmission does NOT rust in that time period.

The car is out of warranty, but why did I pay money to Penske if this car was a P.O.S.? And what recourse if any do I have against them or MBUSA for these issues?
Old 07-01-2008, 05:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
The radiator

is the known fault and the valeo
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=627
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/248939-e500-valeo-radiator.html
You can find hundreds.You had a ppi done at the dealer and they did not check nor recommend that the problematic radiator was still in the car,and needed to be replaced.
You have a claim.Call MBUSA in N.J.
get a name to talk to and sent a registered cert. letter to.They have to respond if sent by registered mail.
The w210 had spring perch issues on some cars non Original owner had a ppi and they said car was just fine,6 months later his suspension collapsed and I had him sent the letter to mbusa 2 weeks later he got a check for the total of the repairs.
Make the letter nice,but to the point.State dealers names,Get the copies of paper work and sent that also.
ohlord
"GOT CODES?"

Last edited by ohlord; 07-01-2008 at 05:31 AM.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
2017 Mercedes Benz E220D/GONE!JUNK!Current GLC Coupe 350d 4 Matic

Ohlord,to the rescue......once again!

Originally Posted by ohlord
is the known fault and the valeo
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=627
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=248939
You can find hundreds.You had a ppi done at the dealer and they did not check nor recommend that the problematic radiator was still in the car,and needed to be replaced.
You have a claim.Call MBUSA in N.J.
get a name to talk to and sent a registered cert. letter to.They have to respond if sent by registered mail.
The w210 had spring perch issues on some cars non Original owner had a ppi and they said car was just fine,6 months later his suspension collapsed and I had him sent the letter to mbusa 2 weeks later he got a check for the total of the repairs.
Make the letter nice,but to the point.State dealers names,Get the copies of paper work and sent that also.
ohlord
"GOT CODES?"
Old 07-01-2008, 04:24 PM

1994 E320
Originally Posted by BelaMeca
Ohlord,to the rescue......once again!
for Ohlord!

Braxpt, keep us updated!
Old 07-02-2008, 04:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 CLK 55 AMG, IMCO muffler/Magnaflow tips, KW V1 coilovers, 19" Petrol Metrix Wheels
it is so funny that i see this post today. i got my car back from the dealer monday for an oil change. i asked them to do the glycol test. they did not do the test. the service guy blamed it on the tool. he said they could not find it and that they would have to order it. the tool costs $150 and takes 3-4 weeks to arrive. at the time i let it go because i just bought an aftermarket warrantly. 5yr/48000 mile bumper to bumper.

but after reading that i am pushing the issue next week.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02 CLK 55 AMG,09 C63 loaded with P30
I just found out that my CLK55 has a Behr radiator. I hope its good. So the 209 CLKs have the Valeo radiator?
Old 07-14-2008, 03:40 AM

2004 clk55 AMG
I had the Gycol contamination too

About 4 weeks after my warranty expired my tranny started buzzing in my 2004 clk55 AMG so I took it to my local MB dealer and they said is was shot...they wanted about 8K to fix it..I was furious that after only 28K miles the tranny was shot. They shrugged and said sometimes it happens.

I told them they wouldnt ever see me again cause the car would sit in my garage for years before I paid that much. So they "made me a deal" for $4,800 for a new tranny. I said no way, and Id be taking it up with MB USA.

I called MB USA and they didnt tip their cards on the glycol issue, they just told me to convince a local dealership to do a 'post warranty' repair and MB USA would pick up the bill for it.

I went to a different MB dealer where my folks just bought a couple of cars, and told them that I needed them to help me out. They said out of courteously they would take a look. I dropped off the car in the AM, and they called me by 3PM and told me the car was fixed and to come get it free of charge. They mentioned that the radiator had leaked gycol into the tranny and destroyed it.

I picked up the car, and its been fantastic ever since. I was ready to go the distance on the issue, so I encourage anyone to push back as hard as you can.

good luck
playaAMG
Old 07-14-2008, 12:27 PM

07' IS 350, 08' E550
Originally Posted by playaAMG
About 4 weeks after my warranty expired my tranny started buzzing in my 2004 clk55 AMG so I took it to my local MB dealer and they said is was shot...they wanted about 8K to fix it..I was furious that after only 28K miles the tranny was shot. They shrugged and said sometimes it happens.

I told them they wouldnt ever see me again cause the car would sit in my garage for years before I paid that much. So they "made me a deal" for $4,800 for a new tranny. I said no way, and Id be taking it up with MB USA.

I called MB USA and they didnt tip their cards on the glycol issue, they just told me to convince a local dealership to do a 'post warranty' repair and MB USA would pick up the bill for it.

I went to a different MB dealer where my folks just bought a couple of cars, and told them that I needed them to help me out. They said out of courteously they would take a look. I dropped off the car in the AM, and they called me by 3PM and told me the car was fixed and to come get it free of charge. They mentioned that the radiator had leaked gycol into the tranny and destroyed it.

I picked up the car, and its been fantastic ever since. I was ready to go the distance on the issue, so I encourage anyone to push back as hard as you can.

good luck
playaAMG

This is great news! Good for you!! These dealers can be very stand offish and non concerning to say the least. Glad to know you're again!
Old 10-10-2008, 06:06 PM

re: CLK 500's with glycol contamination/transmission issues

MB USA has been made aware of this problem on several occasions.

Rather than spending an estimated $50K to repair all 2003 W209's by installing a new and improved coolant line (which would likely cost about $10/unit + .25 hr labor) they let it go!

I had the same problem with my CLK500- it was probably an awesome car, but the MB dealership in Smithtown, NY (Sandy Fiore was the service advisor) completely mishandled the situation. Her boss, Andres, was rude and difficult to understand. Neither of these folks have any experience managing customer relationships. As for the owner of the dealership, Nancy, she too was negligent and refused to help a customer with a $70k car.

Whatever, I wouldn't buy anything from those idiots ever again and I will probably buy one AMG every year, so shame on them.

Ok- here is my suggestion to all folks with this problem-

A.) Report it to your service advisor and hope they will do what they can to help you. Save all documentation of this complaint***

B.) Call MB USA and do some Google homework- figure out who the GM of Service is for your region. I dont remember the gentlemans name in the Northeast region, but he too was an a-hole. Nonetheless, he agreed to pay for my new transmission (or have his company pay for it, rather). They had my car sent to Rallye MB in Roslyn, NY- it was a pleasant experience and the dealership was far better suited to handle a major repair on this sort of car.

PLEASE NOTE: SMITHTOWN MERCEDES (AKA COMPETITION IMPORTS/ DBA COMPETITION MERCEDES BENZ) typically only handles service issues on C-230's because that is all they sell. No one really buys 500's/600's/63 AMG's in a peasant area of Suffolk County. HAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

If you call the right people at MB USA in NJ, they will eat it. They have to! Be persistent, and keep on calling until you get the right person on the phone. I even called the CEO/VP of Sales/VP of Service after looking them up on Hoovers. Granted none of them called me back, but if I hadn't done this, im not sure the right person would have ever called me and agreed to help out with this matter.

PS: I now drive a 2008 997 turbo cabriolet, an Infiniti G37S (daily) and a 2006G55 AMG. Of all these cars, the Infiniti is probably the most reliable, most comfortable and best all around.

I will always keep one or two fancy rides, but these Japs really make fine automobiles. I encourage you all to consider one for your next purchase.

PSS: The new M3 is also quite awesome; it wasn't out yet when I leased an Infiniti, though. It is a better choice than a CLK.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Thanks

I know what to look for in a Mercedes BMW's spend far to much time in the shop here and even in Germany for their German owners.Japanese cars all look like Hondas,and who in their right mind would choose to live in Smithtown