CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Why use a Valentine One?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 08:08 AM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E55, 2002 CLK55, 2005 SLK350 also a 2009 BMW 335-IX
Why use a Valentine One?

After I check out my throttle problem (other post) I head out to my favorite spot for an "Italian Tune-Up" testing session. It's a great stretch with two lanes in each direction seperated by a wide grassy median and the "Men in Blue" love to nail folks speeding there. There are cross roads every so often, by my direction of travel has no lights or stop signs since it's kind of out in the country.

On the outbound run I am hitting it pretty hard and all is well. The V-1 is on patrol for trouble. I have been using them for years.

I come up on my U-turn and some Bozo in an econbox comes from the crossroad on the right, cuts me off and makes the left in front of me. AMG brakes come in handy sometimes.

OK, so I swing around on my U-turn to head back home and nail it to blow past this econobox driver who is either blind or totally oblivious to other traffic. I am now past the econobox and I am humming along at 75 or so (it's a 55 zone) and the V-1 starts to complain. If you have one, you'll like this next part.

So it just gives me a short, single beep. Then a few seconds later it beeps once again. I get the message and head to the right lane and run at 55. A properly installed and operating V-1 can give you a lot of time to react. So I look in my mirror and the econobox is coming up fast. The V-1 is really singing now and the econobox runs past me in the left lane doing maybe 65 or 70. I look way ahead and here comes the Smokey in the other direction with a clear shot at the econobox. Smokey immediately swings around on the grass median and the chase is on.

He blows right past me (I have been at 55 the entire time) and grabs the econobox! I am really laughing now. I can just imagine what that econobox driver was telling the Smokey about me! I would have warned the econobox about the impending doom (there was plenty of time), but she was such a bad driver I figured this is a good lesson for her.

And the lesson for us in AMG-land is don't go out there naked! Our cars are too tempting and the danger is great.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Velvet Fleetwood
well done..
I was thinking about purchasing V1 very soon. did you install it?
Old 07-11-2008, 10:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK55 Cabriolet (DEAD: 1989 300E, 1984 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible)
Thanks for the tip HighEndOne

Having gotten 2 speeding tickets in succession - from the SAME LASER GUN-WIELDING MOTORCYCLE COP on a SIDE ROAD (i.e. alongside the 5 Freeway) 2 months apart, I sure could've used one of those Valentine One's ...
Old 07-11-2008, 10:32 AM

E55 AMG + Mustang GT
Nice... I need to get me one of those. Where did you purchase yours?
Old 07-11-2008, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by Riot Nrrrd
Thanks for the tip HighEndOne

Having gotten 2 speeding tickets in succession - from the SAME LASER GUN-WIELDING MOTORCYCLE COP on a SIDE ROAD (i.e. alongside the 5 Freeway) 2 months apart, I sure could've used one of those Valentine One's ...
The new Blinder is supposedly very effective.

http://www.youtube.com:80/watch?v=XLkOF-3lqng
Old 07-11-2008, 11:21 AM

Velvet Fleetwood
Originally Posted by Chappy
The new Blinder is supposedly very effective.

http://www.youtube.com:80/watch?v=XLkOF-3lqng
thanks for sharing that vid. seems like those blinders are very effective, but is their a way to conceal them with in the front grille or in one of the air pocket within the bumper.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:16 PM

Go to the Valentine site...

http://www.valentine1.com/
Old 07-11-2008, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'04 Silverado Z71 - sold all my Benzes and need another!
I got one too about a month ago and I can't believe I drove without one for so long! I love it!
Old 07-11-2008, 12:23 PM
Almost a Member!

///M3
The V1 should come standard on high performance cars...
Old 07-11-2008, 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by vb26
thanks for sharing that vid. seems like those blinders are very effective, but is their a way to conceal them with in the front grille or in one of the air pocket within the bumper.
There may be more info here as far as where the units can be concealed:

http://www.blinder.net/
Old 07-11-2008, 03:16 PM
Zal

2001 CLK55
I have used a v1 for a couple of years, and it has provided very early warning consistently. Absolutely trust it. Also believe the ability to upgrade the unit at nominal cost to keep up with technology is unique in the business.

I have had high average mph (see other posts) on long cross country drives due to the V1.

First purchase one should make after picking up an AMG...
Old 07-11-2008, 05:03 PM

I second that...

I too have done the upgrades with Valentine and they are worth the dollars spent. Also, I have logged many, many trips at high average speeds with my V-1's.

Do not waste time and money with anything else. I hate to steal a line, but "there is no substitute".
Old 07-11-2008, 08:23 PM

CLK 55
BIG thanks for that story...i've been lucky enough (knock on wood) to have only been stopped and given a ticket one time (damn nassau police) since i've had my vehicle...i think i'll def. look into purchasing one of these in the near future...

oh and lmao @ econobox...that will definitely be placed into my vernacular folder...ha

Last edited by DBLNICKL; 07-11-2008 at 08:27 PM.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:24 PM

Nassau County... really...

I am orginally from Long Beach...

I remember the old days (the early 70's) when I could blast down Jones Beach toward the OBI at 100 in the dead of winter an no one noticed! LOL

I would guess those days are long gone. I had to move to other parts of the country to get my speed fix!
Old 07-11-2008, 10:48 PM

CLK 55
awe man..i wasnt even a twinkle in pops eye in the early 70's, haha...i was bagged up goin to the lakeview parts department...took the southern state to exit 19...hop on peninsula and i'm doin 65 - 70 in a posted 45 (smfh) tryin to make it to the place before closing which is 4pm and it's about 345...so i'm movin! all of a sudden, i see the damn guy with the radar gun STANDING IN THE MIDDLE of the two lanes in my direction of travel...he just waves me right on over to the grass...long story short, got slapped with speeding, tints all around, and windshield tinting tickets...OOOWWW...on top of that i missed the parts dept. as well ...needless to say, i havent merked over there since!...haha, scared my *** straight...shoulda had that good ole Valentine!

Last edited by DBLNICKL; 07-11-2008 at 10:52 PM.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
V1 saved my butt a few times! Love it!
Old 07-12-2008, 11:13 AM
XJ9

C350
Most of our clients who buy an S from us get the V1 concealed system and it works amazingly well. Honestly anyone who has an AMG should really have one only because these cars ride so smooth and have so much power that 70 mph feels like you're just crusing along at 40. Ive caught myself driving along on the highway just taking it easy and you look down and the speedo and it says 75. Its so easy to get a ticket when your not even trying to speed.

Contrast that to an american car where you go 75 and the whole car is rattling and shaking.. its like the crappiness is your excessive speed warning.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:37 AM
XJ9

C350
Originally Posted by HighEndOne
After I check out my throttle problem (other post) I head out to my favorite spot for an "Italian Tune-Up" testing session. It's a great stretch with two lanes in each direction seperated by a wide grassy median and the "Men in Blue" love to nail folks speeding there. There are cross roads every so often, by my direction of travel has no lights or stop signs since it's kind of out in the country.

On the outbound run I am hitting it pretty hard and all is well. The V-1 is on patrol for trouble. I have been using them for years.

I come up on my U-turn and some Bozo in an econbox comes from the crossroad on the right, cuts me off and makes the left in front of me. AMG brakes come in handy sometimes.

OK, so I swing around on my U-turn to head back home and nail it to blow past this econobox driver who is either blind or totally oblivious to other traffic. I am now past the econobox and I am humming along at 75 or so (it's a 55 zone) and the V-1 starts to complain. If you have one, you'll like this next part.

So it just gives me a short, single beep. Then a few seconds later it beeps once again. I get the message and head to the right lane and run at 55. A properly installed and operating V-1 can give you a lot of time to react. So I look in my mirror and the econobox is coming up fast. The V-1 is really singing now and the econobox runs past me in the left lane doing maybe 65 or 70. I look way ahead and here comes the Smokey in the other direction with a clear shot at the econobox. Smokey immediately swings around on the grass median and the chase is on.

He blows right past me (I have been at 55 the entire time) and grabs the econobox! I am really laughing now. I can just imagine what that econobox driver was telling the Smokey about me! I would have warned the econobox about the impending doom (there was plenty of time), but she was such a bad driver I figured this is a good lesson for her.

And the lesson for us in AMG-land is don't go out there naked! Our cars are too tempting and the danger is great.

I was never a big fan of the V1 until I went on a road trip and got saved multiple times. The radar sensitivity on the open road is truly superior to anything else out there nowadays. The only real problem with the V1 is that the laser detection is basically useless because it has no active jamming and the detector is in the wrong place for lidar reception. Additionally the filtering on the laser detection seems to be set too wide and there is no signature detection circuitry. Because of this the V1 tends to false alert on laser in bright multispectral light sources. A good example of this is when I drive under the automated toll gate which has bright lights for the cameras the V1 laser alerts like crazy. The first time this happened I thought I was totally busted... Compare to the blinder or the new K40 diffuser which actually check the frequency of the incoming lidar beam and the units never false.

The other issue is that V1 is simply not interested in building a remote version of the V1 detector which in my opinion is a big loss for them. All they would need to do is take the same unit and package it in a case but with no display.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:21 PM

I am not sure about the bright lights...

But I will say all those laser-driven cruise control systems seem to play havoc with my V-1.

In any case, in the right hands LIDAR is a tough thing to beat. The V-1 will detect reflections aimed at other cars ahead of you, so if you ever hear the laser warning, get on the binders pronto.

Also, if you can, ditch the front license plate and keep your headlights on. I understand that those two things might, repeat might, make it harder to catch you.

Also, on the highways, keep a good lookout for people standing on the overpasses or cars or motorcycles parked there. It's agreat spot to shoot LIDAR from.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
Originally Posted by HighEndOne
But I will say all those laser-driven cruise control systems seem to play havoc with my V-1.

I notice the Chevy Trailblazer sets off my laser alert alot!
It is a pain....driving along and some random car will set off the laser detection....I freak out. I hate that.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:43 PM

CLK 55 AMG
On my Third V1 and loving it

Way back when my Dad had to hide his mail order radar detector under a Klenex box on the dash (it was almost as big as the Klenex box), he told me that "the best speed trap detector is your eyes."

Laser beams are so narrow, the chance is slim that any detector will pick up laser in an early warning. You need to watch drivers ahead of you, look for brake lights, cars parked on bridges, freeway ramps, medians, and shoulders. Stay out of the left lane and wait for a bait car to go out in front of you to flush out the speed trap. Slow down on blind corners and watch your mirrors. I caught CHP sneaking up on me last month. This Trooper was whipping thru traffic to catch up to me. I never hit my brakes when they are behind me. I coast or down shift depending on how close the cop is to me.

I have been nailed by Laser 3 times in the last 10 years, but each time I go to court and plea to a parking ticket. I don't care about the fine, I don't want the record or the points. That's just the cost of driving fast. I also keep my mouth shut and when the COP says "do you know why I stopped you?" I say "no". Then he says, Do you know the speed limit? I say "yes" Then he says " how fast where you going?" I keep silent! Usually he writes me for 10 over. I got 91 in a 70 on laser (in front of Daimler Chrysler headquarters, on I-75 in a Chrysler company car) and the motorcycle cop wrote me for 10 over.

The V1 is the best. In 2007, when Alex Roy broke the 1982 New York to Santa Monica Cannonball Run record of 32hrs. 7 min., Roy's Radar Detector was a Valentine 1. Check out the Video and his dashboard at...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nghau2LfjmE

Or the whole story at....
http://www.wired.com/cars/coolwheels...?currentPage=1

Valentine's update program is great, just send the unit in for new software, or a complete overhaul. I sent my first V1 in about 10 years ago and for $184 they sent me a new, smaller unit. Now I need to send it in for a software update for low power radar. I got a ticket in March and my detector never went off. The cop was using a hand held super low power unit.(2.5mW) I pleaded the ticket to parking and paid $190 instead of $300 for the 10 over ticket. (no traffic school) I went to Valentine to see if they had the update, they do. But I hate to be without my V1 for even 1 day. Get your serial number off your V1 and see if your unit is current. http://www.valentine1.com/upgrades/
Old 08-11-2008, 12:04 AM

W209
Aren't those blinders illegal in California?
Old 08-11-2008, 10:52 AM

Location: Alabama gulf coast, formerly Charlottesville, Virginia
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 W220 (S430), 2001 R129 (SL500 Sport)
Doesn't the infrared film on the windshield hamper the effectiveness, or do you mount yours in the "patch" on the bottom center of the 'shield? I would think the infrared shield on the back glass would make the detector ineffective to the rear. I am repeating what someone else told me about the glass on the S-class I drive, so that may not be true.

Thanks for an opinion.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
Originally Posted by DrJfrmLA
Doesn't the infrared film on the windshield hamper the effectiveness, or do you mount yours in the "patch" on the bottom center of the 'shield? I would think the infrared shield on the back glass would make the detector ineffective to the rear. I am repeating what someone else told me about the glass on the S-class I drive, so that may not be true.

Thanks for an opinion.
I don't have the infared glass so it works fine.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:25 PM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600
I have a similar story...

I was coming up from Miami on I-95 headed to Delray, and was driving in the lane two over from the far left (Sunday morning, very little other traffic on the road) when this douche in a Ford exploder comes whizzing by me on my right and cuts me off with maybe 5 feet to spare. I looked in the lane he was in, and there wasn't even another car there...he just did it to be a *****.

Call it ego or whatever you want but it annoyed me and I didn't want to sit behind him, so I moved one lane over to the left and kept going the same speed so I wouldn't have to stare at the back of his car. He stayed in my old lane, and slowly we came up on a pack of cars and I saw from a distance that he was going to have to move over into my current lane to get around them. So I timed the throttle input just right for him to have to slow down and watch me sail by before he could make the move over. Hehe. Payback sucks.

Well, I guess he didn't like that so he floors it and tries to cut me off again, and I gave it a little gas and easily kept my lead. He kept trying to overtake and cut me off for a good minute or two, which wasn't working, and all the while we're still accelerating. By this point we're doing a pretty good clip and I can hear that crappy exploder engine behind me roaring with about as much precision as a coffee grinder. Meanwhile, my M120 is pulling a whopping 2900rpms in 5th and I'm just loafing along listening to music. Lol.

About then, my radar detector (BelSTi) starts chirping and I immediately let off the gas and started coasting. It's a heavy car and takes awhile to slow down, and during this time the signal strength is gradually getting stronger. After a short while I'm clearing back down through the 70s, which is still a good 15-20 too fast in that area. Knowing what the douche was going to do, I dutifully waited until I got cut off again (same as before, no other cars in front of him...he did it just to do it) with maybe 2ft to spare, and with his middle finger standing proud this time. Then I laid on the brakes and took it back under the limit pronto. I would have slowed down much sooner when I first heard the detector complaining, but I didn't want to tip off the exploder to what was coming by lighting up my brake lights. I had noticed earlier that he didn't have a radar detector in his windsheild, so I figured it would be entertaining to watch him hang himself.

So he is still absolutely flying at this point, and must have been going at least 90+, when he disappears around a bend. I cruised along and waited until I came around the turn just in time to watch the FHP crown vic taking off from the shoulder of the road to go after him. He was going so fast after I slowed down that there was enough distance between us that he was already pulled over on the shoulder of the road and the cop was coming to a stop behind him by the time I rolled by. He was staring at me, so I gave him two shorts honks and a nice sarcastic wave.

Nice thing to do on my part? No. But did he deserve it? Oh yeah.

Normally, if I'm cruising in a pack or if I see someone about to catch it from the FHP, I will motion at them to slow down or try and flash the lights or whatever I can get away with without getting myself pulled over for warning people (which they can cite you for here in FL). But this guy just didn't deserve the warning.