CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Here come the newbie questions. I mean noob.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015.5 Volvo V60 Polestar
Here come the newbie questions. I mean noob.

This is my first MB. It seems all maintainence has been kept up with but the B service is due. Which I think I can handle. Been mostly in the american V8 scene. Which nothing is so specific or tempermental. Everything else I have owned was under warranty so it didn't matter.

Due to my schedule it is very hard for me to get to a MB dealer before parts closes.

here are my questions:

1. Wiper Blade: Is the MB one really designed speciffically for the model? This car will be driven during the winter, and don't want to have to deal with iced up blade. I was leaning towards a bosch icon. If not I'll have to hold out till I can get to the dealer again.

2. My car has an aftermarket tint on it. It is under my impression that W208 CLK55's have the nifty blue tint from factory. If so I would like to strip the tint. I assume the the blue tint is done at the manufactoring of the glass and cannot be stripped of correct?

3. My MB changer plays discs fine, however will not eject the cartridge. Anyone know of any fixes for this? I can only stand U2 for so much longer.(CD left in there from previous owner.)

4. My Tempurature gauge is very dull, I assume the bulb/what ever is back lighting it is out. Any DIY to fix this? If not what would it cost to get this done?

5. Front Side markers. How the hell do you get that to slide out. I already replaced the fog light with no problem, but the manual says push toward front of car and pull back tab out first. Am I missing something.

6.Under my MB radio there is a phone cord, is this supposed to be attached to anything?

7. Wheels. I also have a SRT-6(SLK32) that is for sale. So I would like to use the winter wheels/tires (17" 225/45/17) on my CLK55. WOuld this work?
Also what other wheels would fit from mercedes? I went to tire rack and they show only 18" options. I would like to stay at 17's. Leaning towards C32 wheels.

8. What should I expect to pay on:
Winter Floor Mats
Trunk Tray
Flat Hood Emblem

9. Airbrushing yay or nay? I have no experience with this

10. What gives the W209 the extra 20hp?

Thanks in advance.

ON a lighter note, I am suprised on my gas mileage on my work to comute. I average 22mpg.

Last edited by Nachtsturm; 06-16-2009 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
Originally Posted by Ubergeist
This is my first MB. It seems all maintainence has been kept up with but the B service is due. Which I think I can handle. Been mostly in the american V8 scene. Which nothing is so specific or tempermental. Everything else I have owned was under warranty so it didn't matter.

Due to my schedule it is very hard for me to get to a MB dealer before parts closes.

here are my questions:

1. Yes, but I am sure you can locate an after market one.

2. Not sure

3. Fast track electronics repairs MB CD changers you might want to contact them 4 5629382 FAST TRACK ELECTR 1946 14TH ST SAN MONICA 310-396-7781

4. There are bulbs however a lot of times the complete cluster needs to be changed.

5. Not sure either should be simple as poping off the side with a flat head.

6. Nope it's for an old unused phone system. You can upgrade it to work with bluetooth if you need.

7. Not sure

approx :

Winter Floor Mats 100
Trunk Tray 100
Flat Hood Emblem 20

10. What gives the W209 the extra 20hp? ECU Tune this may also help with your gas mileage

Thanks in advance.

ON a lighter note, I am suprised on my gas mileage on my work to comute. I average 22mpg.

asdfdasfadsfds
Old 06-16-2009, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG

here are my questions:

1. Wiper Blade: Is the MB one really designed speciffically for the model? This car will be driven during the winter, and don't want to have to deal with iced up blade. I was leaning towards a bosch icon. If not I'll have to hold out till I can get to the dealer again.

2. My car has an aftermarket tint on it. It is under my impression that W208 CLK55's have the nifty blue tint from factory. If so I would like to strip the tint. I assume the the blue tint is done at the manufactoring of the glass and cannot be stripped of correct?

3. My MB changer plays discs fine, however will not eject the cartridge. Anyone know of any fixes for this? I can only stand U2 for so much longer.(CD left in there from previous owner.)

4. My Tempurature gauge is very dull, I assume the bulb/what ever is back lighting it is out. Any DIY to fix this? If not what would it cost to get this done?

5. Front Side markers. How the hell do you get that to slide out. I already replaced the fog light with no problem, but the manual says push toward front of car and pull back tab out first. Am I missing something.

6.Under my MB radio there is a phone cord, is this supposed to be attached to anything?

7. Wheels. I also have a SRT-6(SLK32) that is for sale. So I would like to use the winter wheels/tires (17" 225/45/17) on my CLK55. WOuld this work?
Also what other wheels would fit from mercedes? I went to tire rack and they show only 18" options. I would like to stay at 17's. Leaning towards C32 wheels.

Winter Floor Mats
Trunk Tray
Flat Hood Emblem

Thanks in advance.

I'll try to answer a few of these, and leave the heavy lifting for the DIYers.

1. Generally, yes. I've owned 4 MBs and each chassis generally had it's own.
2. Factory tint won't come off if you strip the aftermarket tint.
3. Not sure...no probs with mine.
4. Instrument cluster problems are a known issue. If you have missing pixels, the only fix is a rebuilt or new unit.
5. No clue.
6. All W208 CLK55s came pre-wired for the optional phone.
7. C32 wheels will work fine, as should your crossfire rims. The offset will be the key. Look for ET30 for the rear and ET37 front. You can play with these offsets a bit and shouldn't have any clearance issues with most 17" MB/AMG wheels.
8. Winter mats - $100; Trunk liner $250; Flat emblem $50....you may do better with a vendor or ebay.
9. If done right, I've seen excellent results - but usually only when the car was a few years old.
10. Stickers?? Compression ratio is slightly higher and IIRC redline is a bit higher too. However, I've seen plenty stock W209/55s dyno the similar to mine.

Hope this helps!
Old 06-16-2009, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Chappy

4. Instrument cluster problems are a known issue. If you have missing pixels, the only fix is a rebuilt or new unit.

9. If done right, I've seen excellent results - but usually only when the car was a few years old.
10. Stickers?? Compression ratio is slightly higher and IIRC redline is a bit higher too. However, I've seen plenty stock W209/55s dyno the similar to mine.

Hope this helps!
4.No pixels are missing it is just very dull. Like it is no longer backlit. Like trying to play the original gameboy advance with no light.

9. They said they would airbrush the scratches on the car... afraid it will come out horrible. When they air brush they use MB paint I hope.

10. If the compression ratio is up, something had to change, different pistons perhaps?

Thanks guys for your help.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Current: AMG GT-C. Sold: 01 CLK55, 00 ML55, 01 ML55, 06 E55

here are my questions:

Winter Floor Mats
Trunk Tray
Flat Hood Emblem

Thanks in advance.

5. I always take something like a thin rag and a butter knife and pry the lights up. I insert the knife (with the rag btw the knife and paint) at the rear-most part of the car and somewhat gently pry the bulb casing forwards. Then the bulb twist locks out of the housing.

7. There is a chance that your SRT wheels would fit. They need to be 5x112 and as Chappy mentioned, offsets around 30-32 for the front and 35-37 rear. +/- a little could be ok. A test fit is the best way to find out.

9. Recommend eBay for the hood emblem. Around $30 is possible. Several styles available.

10. Could be plenty of things. Different compression ratio definitely calls for some changes. Adjustment to intake, tuning, and exhaust could add a few as well. If you're worried about it being more powerful, remember that ours weighs less

I agree...I think it's an outstanding car w/ great performance and surprisingly wonderful gas mileage for the power.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Check out the "official MBUSA" stats on the W208 vs. W209 here:

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/#/cpoModelOverview/

It lists the 2002 CLK55 as having a 10.5:1 compression ratio with a 6,000rpm redline. The hp rating is 342@5500rpm.

It lists the 2003 CLK55 as having a 11.0:1 compression ratio with a 6,700rpm redline. The hp rating is 362@5750rpm.

Interestingly, both have a torque rating of 376 lb-ft.

The 0-60mph stats are listed as 4.9 for the W208 and 5.0 for the W209.
The curb weight is listed as 3,485 for the W208 and 3,635 (oink, oink) for the W209.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by da_guitarist
5. I always take something like a thin rag and a butter knife and pry the lights up. I insert the knife (with the rag btw the knife and paint) at the rear-most part of the car and somewhat gently pry the bulb casing forwards. Then the bulb twist locks out of the housing.

7. There is a chance that your SRT wheels would fit. They need to be 5x112 and as Chappy mentioned, offsets around 30-32 for the front and 35-37 rear. +/- a little could be ok. A test fit is the best way to find out.

9. Recommend eBay for the hood emblem. Around $30 is possible. Several styles available.

10. Could be plenty of things. Different compression ratio definitely calls for some changes. Adjustment to intake, tuning, and exhaust could add a few as well. If you're worried about it being more powerful, remember that ours weighs less

No, just seeing if we can upgrade the w208 for the extra 20hp. From using something specific from the w209.

Much like using an LS6 intake on pre-2001 LS1 f-bodys. Good bump in HP, in doing that.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07' IS 350, 08' E550
The W209 is better
Old 06-17-2009, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2000 CLK430
4.No pixels are missing it is just very dull. Like it is no longer backlit. Like trying to play the original gameboy advance with no light.

9. They said they would airbrush the scratches on the car... afraid it will come out horrible. When they air brush they use MB paint I hope.

10. If the compression ratio is up, something had to change, different pistons perhaps?

Thanks guys for your help.

I will answer #4 since I just did this a couple days ago. You will have to replace about 3-4 green based bulbs that cost about 6 bucks a piece at the dealership. All you have to do is pull the cluster...unhook the 2 cables in the rear of the cluster and pull the cluster out of the car. You will need a small/thin flat tipped screwdriver to take the bulb out and then simpy replace it with a new bulb.

I ended up finding my bulbs at O'Reillys for 2.50 for the pair. The only difference was that the new bulb was 1/10th of a volt lower and had a different color backing "Orange" (NO BIG DEAL) but it fit perfectly and was way cheaper.

Greg
Old 06-19-2009, 02:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 W205 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by Chappy
Check out the "official MBUSA" stats on the W208 vs. W209 here:

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/#/cpoModelOverview/

It lists the 2002 CLK55 as having a 10.5:1 compression ratio with a 6,000rpm redline. The hp rating is 342@5500rpm.

It lists the 2003 CLK55 as having a 11.0:1 compression ratio with a 6,700rpm redline. The hp rating is 362@5750rpm.

Interestingly, both have a torque rating of 376 lb-ft.

The 0-60mph stats are listed as 4.9 for the W208 and 5.0 for the W209.
The curb weight is listed as 3,485 for the W208 and 3,635 (oink, oink) for the W209.
LOL, that little oink oink goes a long way. Hey no one said higher streght steel weighed less, right?
Old 06-19-2009, 04:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 C55, 09 E350
You don't need to get the hood emblem off eBay, MB makes one now for the 204 C class that works on all the cars its cheaper and easier to install you just press it right into the hole. The ebay ones you have to bolt on.

204-817-06-16
Old 06-19-2009, 07:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by SoCalCLK
LOL, that little oink oink goes a long way. Hey no one said higher streght steel weighed less, right?
lol....I was wondering how many people would pick up that remark.

ALL IN GOOD fun fellas....
Old 06-19-2009, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by gregory13lil
I will answer #4 since I just did this a couple days ago. You will have to replace about 3-4 green based bulbs that cost about 6 bucks a piece at the dealership. All you have to do is pull the cluster...unhook the 2 cables in the rear of the cluster and pull the cluster out of the car. You will need a small/thin flat tipped screwdriver to take the bulb out and then simpy replace it with a new bulb.

I ended up finding my bulbs at O'Reillys for 2.50 for the pair. The only difference was that the new bulb was 1/10th of a volt lower and had a different color backing "Orange" (NO BIG DEAL) but it fit perfectly and was way cheaper.

Greg

Can i get more details on how to remove the instrument cluster? Pictures if you got them.

Thanks.
Old 06-20-2009, 02:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
Can i get more details on how to remove the instrument cluster? Pictures if you got them.

Thanks.
Not my photos, but it's what you want,
Attached Thumbnails Here come the newbie questions. I mean noob.-clk-instrument-cluster5.jpg   Here come the newbie questions. I mean noob.-clk-instrument-cluster6.jpg   Here come the newbie questions. I mean noob.-clk-instrument-cluster7.jpg   Here come the newbie questions. I mean noob.-clk-instrument-cluster8.jpg   Here come the newbie questions. I mean noob.-clk-instrument-cluster9.jpg  

Here come the newbie questions. I mean noob.-clk-instrument-cluster10.jpg