CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

unflattering blog - "The Mercedes CLK has always been a vehicle for trashy poseurs."

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 07:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
unflattering blog - "The Mercedes CLK has always been a vehicle for trashy poseurs."

A brutal write-up from AUTOMOTIVE.COM..... about our beloved CLK.

Perhaps this is why they can be had for such a discount.

I love mine, and my wife says I looking nothing like spears

"Flashy and overpriced, it was never anything more than a last generation C-class under its moderately stylish lines. The CLK ranges in price from about $50,000 to over $70,000 for a fully loaded V8 model. Who would pay that much for a last generation C-Class coupe? Especially when you can have the vastly superior current generation C-class sedan for so much less?
Adding to the CLK’s position as the “lame duck” of the Mercedes lineup is the fact that it has always been one of the least reliable vehicles made by the Stuttgart manufacturer. The CLK comes from a dark period in Mercedes history where profitability, not reliability, was of the utmost importance.
Finally -- and most importantly -- the CLK has never been as good as the vastly superior and less expensive 3-Series coupe. The CLK is just for people who think it looks pretty and want the snob appeal of a Mercedes badge. Why else do you think Britney Spears runs over people with hers? Oops! We didn’t mean that. We meant to say why do you think Britney drives a CLK? Probably because it matches some of her outfits, we suspect.
Well, finally, Mercedes is ready to lower the axe on the CLK. And what is in store for its replacement? The new mid level two-door in the company lineup will be a fashionably angular E-class coupe along the lines of Audi’s A5. The look of the new vehicle was previewed at the Paris Motor Show by the Concept Fascination design study. This was not a surprise as most Mercedes concept vehicles later pop up as production vehicles.
The automaker plans to launch the coupe at the exact same time it launches the E-class sedan in late 2009 as a 2010 model. Prices for the new E-Class two-door will be higher than what they were for the current CLK but customers will be getting more inherent value. This will no doubt be evidenced by the vastly improved driving experience promised by the new E-class platform.
Buyers looking for a less expensive coupe can take heart, though! Mercedes is planning a new C-class based coupe. Thankfully this one will be based on the far more capable and reliable current C-class platform. And it won’t look anything like that old CLS-coupe that appeared to have been rear ended at 70 miles per hour.
Are we being too hard on the CLK? To our eyes, the old CLK is the last bastion of the bad old days at Mercedes Benz. With the introduction of the new E-class coupe, all of the old unreliable models will have been either replaced or totally revamped. So let’s leave the CLK to the poseurs that deserve it—most specifically bottle blonde pop tartlets."

http://blogs.automotive.com/6340736/...clk/index.html
Old 04-03-2010, 07:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 507 AMG DA Car #19

Here's a good review from the same entity....... it's easy to pick on an outgoing model.......

http://www.automotive.com/2004/103/m...ecs/index.html
Old 04-03-2010, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
Preferences are subjective. The guy who wrote the first entry is "eGMCarTech". Hmm . . . . . . "e" as in electricity perhaps? I wonder if he spends his days working on the Chevy Volt. Anyone here been in a Volt? I have.

Being a member of the automotive press has it's advantages. The Volt isn't one of them. Charge it all night, and it's ready to go a whole 40 miles. Unless it's raining. Thats because running the defroster, wiper, and lights will drop the mileage. I'd like to see what eGMCarTech thinks about the Volt.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went on and gave him my 2cents.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
#

Nice AMG! Nice!

That was a weak pc of literature IMHO.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:32 PM

2007 M.B. CLK63 AMG, 08 Honda Accord EXL V6, 04 Honda Accord EXL V6, 03 Eddie Bauer Ford Expedition
Just a "TRASHY WANNA-BE"

The guy who wrote this arcticle has made it painfully obvious that he's just a whinny wanna-be, and that's all he'll ever be.

You know the type...takes a car out for a few hours, wishes he could actually own one, but never will, so he gets upset and bashes it. It's ok, we understand, and forgive you.

Now go home, your Ford Pinto is waiting for ya in the parking lot.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:01 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
1999 E320
Originally Posted by 63-AMG-63
The guy who wrote this arcticle has made it painfully obvious that he's just a whinny wanna-be, and that's all he'll ever be.

You know the type...takes a car out for a few hours, wishes he could actually own one, but never will, so he gets upset and bashes it. It's ok, we understand, and forgive you.

Now go home, your Ford Pinto is waiting for ya in the parking lot.

^^^NAILED IT ON THE HEAD
Old 04-07-2010, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
##

LOL!
Old 04-09-2010, 02:32 PM

2001 CLK55 AMG
Nice review. Doesn't make hitting the road in one any less satisfying for me.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:40 PM

2007 M.B. CLK63 AMG, 08 Honda Accord EXL V6, 04 Honda Accord EXL V6, 03 Eddie Bauer Ford Expedition
Originally Posted by nelson09
^^^NAILED IT ON THE HEAD
And kicked him in the BALLZ!!! LOL Thanx ; )
Old 04-09-2010, 05:55 PM

1999 E320
And kicked him in the BALLZ!!! LOL Thanx ; )
HILarious. Have a good weekend fellas
Old 04-09-2010, 06:07 PM

You too Nelson. Nice ride! Drive safe. ; )
Old 04-09-2010, 06:26 PM

1999 E320
You too Nelson. Nice ride! Drive safe. ; )
Thank you 63-AMG-63. Right back atcha' boss.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:33 PM

2008 SL55, 2008 CLK 550 (toast), 2006 V-Star
The guy has a point. I absolutely hate it when attractive women keep hurting their necks as they pass me in the opposite direction. My CLK is a public safety concern.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by betrezra
A brutal write-up from AUTOMOTIVE.COM..... about our beloved CLK.

Perhaps this is why they can be had for such a discount.

I love mine, and my wife says I looking nothing like spears

"Flashy and overpriced, it was never anything more than a last generation C-class under its moderately stylish lines. The CLK ranges in price from about $50,000 to over $70,000 for a fully loaded V8 model. Who would pay that much for a last generation C-Class coupe? Especially when you can have the vastly superior current generation C-class sedan for so much less?
Adding to the CLK’s position as the “lame duck” of the Mercedes lineup is the fact that it has always been one of the least reliable vehicles made by the Stuttgart manufacturer. The CLK comes from a dark period in Mercedes history where profitability, not reliability, was of the utmost importance.
Finally -- and most importantly -- the CLK has never been as good as the vastly superior and less expensive 3-Series coupe. The CLK is just for people who think it looks pretty and want the snob appeal of a Mercedes badge. Why else do you think Britney Spears runs over people with hers? Oops! We didn’t mean that. We meant to say why do you think Britney drives a CLK? Probably because it matches some of her outfits, we suspect.
Well, finally, Mercedes is ready to lower the axe on the CLK. And what is in store for its replacement? The new mid level two-door in the company lineup will be a fashionably angular E-class coupe along the lines of Audi’s A5. The look of the new vehicle was previewed at the Paris Motor Show by the Concept Fascination design study. This was not a surprise as most Mercedes concept vehicles later pop up as production vehicles.
The automaker plans to launch the coupe at the exact same time it launches the E-class sedan in late 2009 as a 2010 model. Prices for the new E-Class two-door will be higher than what they were for the current CLK but customers will be getting more inherent value. This will no doubt be evidenced by the vastly improved driving experience promised by the new E-class platform.
Buyers looking for a less expensive coupe can take heart, though! Mercedes is planning a new C-class based coupe. Thankfully this one will be based on the far more capable and reliable current C-class platform. And it won’t look anything like that old CLS-coupe that appeared to have been rear ended at 70 miles per hour.
Are we being too hard on the CLK? To our eyes, the old CLK is the last bastion of the bad old days at Mercedes Benz. With the introduction of the new E-class coupe, all of the old unreliable models will have been either replaced or totally revamped. So let’s leave the CLK to the poseurs that deserve it—most specifically bottle blonde pop tartlets."

http://blogs.automotive.com/6340736/...clk/index.html
This has Perez Hilton written all over it.