CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Camshaft questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 AMG
Camshaft questions

PTE/VRP cams for the 55 N/A motors don't seem to have a lopey idle...has this been the experience for you guys for the most part?

On my 55k I have found although they make incredible power, they seem to have a lopey idle and seem a bit too aggresive for my taste...to each his own I guess...

but my car made tons of power and tq - 509.2 hp and 589.6 ft-lb of tq at the rear wheels

curious to see what some of you guys think...
Old 03-02-2011, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
I've got them on my clk55 and not too diff from stock.
Keep in mind I'm used to muscle cars though... so my base-line my be warped. It was not too radical for my taste.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
hopefully someone else will enjoy them, the power output is amazing but they are slightly too agresive for my taste and comfort
Old 03-04-2011, 10:11 AM
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 ML-500 , 03 CLK5.5 AMG has left the Garage
VRP/ PTE cams

I would be glad to confirm the specs & Condition of any used VRP/PTE cam you guys buy . I will do it at no Charge. for the inspection , Cleaning & Polish. other than that , there would be a ,return shipping cost.
Cheers _PTEngineering
Old 03-04-2011, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by PTE
I would be glad to confirm the specs & Condition of any used VRP/PTE cam you guys buy . I will do it at no Charge. for the inspection , Cleaning & Polish. other than that , there would be a ,return shipping cost.
Cheers _PTEngineering
thank you Pat
Old 03-06-2011, 06:49 PM
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!

VRP cams

I've attached 2 Youtube video's You can see the rpm never lays down & Pulls to 6800 rpm , No loss of bottom end Torque. The other is the cold start up. & Idle quality on a Mass air flow sensor type system. The motor holds 17" of Mercury at a idle in gear. Takes about 300 miles of adaptation for the idle to smooth up a little. This car Has a Modern horsepower ECU & TCU tune , It works very well and Andy did not disappoint me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shgw1AANOF0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24XIqtajQbM

Hope this helps your decision

Cheers _PTEngineering

Last edited by PTE; 03-06-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 Weistec 3.0L SC'd C55, 2006 MaxPsi PT6466 Turbo'd M3, 2019 Maserati GTS , 2020Alfa Quadrifoglio
Need different valve springs?

Don't the NA 55 motors need different valve springs? If so, what's the part numbers if I do decide to buy a set of these?
Old 03-06-2011, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Sounds great PTE! Thanks for sharing.
It just makes me want my car soooo much more badly!
Old 03-07-2011, 06:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 251 Likes on 212 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
Nice sound and smooth acceleration It does sound a touch lopey at the beginning but smooths out nice. I imagine with a quieter exhaust you probably would not notice too much either.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:37 AM
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cams Questions

Don't the NA 55 motors need different valve springs? If so, what's the part numbers if I do decide to buy a set of these?
I used the stock valve springs ,There good to 6800 rpm, But I installed Titanium Retainers , because I new I might see 7000 rpm and did not want to chance Valve float if I missque on a down shift.

Nice sound and smooth acceleration It does sound a touch lopey at the beginning but smooths out nice. I imagine with a quieter exhaust you probably would not notice too much either.

The Mustang & Chevy crowd seem to know the difference. Quiet or loud.
I've had these cams in the engine for over 6000 miles of Driving , mostly short trips & Street & Drag Strip use. The car miles are just at 19,300.
The hardest part was finding all the Vacuum leaks. I ended up using a Clamp on hose connections. This helps with getting a smoother Idle & good drivability. It Makes like a lot easier for the tuner to tweek in the Fuel / Air , ratios

Cheers _PTEngineering
Old 03-07-2011, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
bump. I have replied to emials...

Thus far I have given one counter offer to the initial guy who responded and whom I told would have first dibs. I am still waiting on his reply.

thanks all, please note that whomever the buyer turns out to be you have Pat's (PTE) help and support should you need it.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 Weistec 3.0L SC'd C55, 2006 MaxPsi PT6466 Turbo'd M3, 2019 Maserati GTS , 2020Alfa Quadrifoglio
Do you know the brand and PN#s on the titanium retainers? I thought I read that Havoc had a problem with these cams causing the valve to come down too deep and it hit the piston face due to having stock valve springs. I can't find the post right now. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Originally Posted by PTE

I used the stock valve springs ,There good to 6800 rpm, But I installed Titanium Retainers , because I new I might see 7000 rpm and did not want to chance Valve float if I missque on a down shift.

The Mustang & Chevy crowd seem to know the difference. Quiet or loud.
I've had these cams in the engine for over 6000 miles of Driving , mostly short trips & Street & Drag Strip use. The car miles are just at 19,300.
The hardest part was finding all the Vacuum leaks. I ended up using a Clamp on hose connections. This helps with getting a smoother Idle & good drivability. It Makes like a lot easier for the tuner to tweek in the Fuel / Air , ratios

Cheers _PTEngineering
Old 03-07-2011, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by AMGSC
Do you know the brand and PN#s on the titanium retainers? I thought I read that Havoc had a problem with these cams causing the valve to come down too deep and it hit the piston face due to having stock valve springs. I can't find the post right now. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Pat can chyme in but I don't think titanium retainers are necessary, I ran them without the problem you are talking about without any damage to valves or pistons...again, Pat (PTE) the camshaft maker can provide more specific details.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:49 PM
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cam Questions.

There is no need for Titanium Retainers. Stock springs are ok below 6700 , the stock shift points are at 6400 rpm unless your tuner moved it to 6600. These cams work quite well with The AMG stock Valve springs.

In Havoc's issue was one of the custom pistons , that where in his engine , did not have enough relief fly cut in the dish area , too have the proper clearence for the 1mm over sized intake & Exhaust valves , built for VRP by Ferrera . Plus I believe Havoc's engine had the deck surfaced on the block & Heads. I have over 29 sets of these cams out there . and no known fitment issue on stock m-113 engines. Sunir's cams were just too much for his driving taste . That's is why I posted my Youtube stuff. This cams are a good deal for somebody who wants more top end HP. With a willingness to give up a little of that velvet smooth idle quality.
Hope this helps . this debate could go on for a long time and still not be the right stuff for some peoples taste, Hence the youtude vidoes
Cheers _PTengineering
Old 03-07-2011, 06:51 PM
Out Of Control!

Pat,

The idel video sounds really good! Is your exhaust setup stock or no? If not what type of exhaust/headers are you running?
Old 03-07-2011, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
PTE has a pretty good thread on his custom dual ex setup. That car I believe is a 2003 which orig had single exh. As always his stuff is Pro-built/factory quality.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
bump...
Old 03-10-2011, 12:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks Pat for your thorough explanation. I am almost going to pull the trigger. My tuner told me the gains he has seen about 8rwhp although still hard to isolate based on the cars he tuned with with these cams.

How are the AFRs affected? engine longevity? Can the car actually stall or cut out at times? Will it really cause your coffee to spill if uncovered?

Originally Posted by PTE
There is no need for Titanium Retainers. Stock springs are ok below 6700 , the stock shift points are at 6400 rpm unless your tuner moved it to 6600. These cams work quite well with The AMG stock Valve springs.

In Havoc's issue was one of the custom pistons , that where in his engine , did not have enough relief fly cut in the dish area , too have the proper clearence for the 1mm over sized intake & Exhaust valves , built for VRP by Ferrera . Plus I believe Havoc's engine had the deck surfaced on the block & Heads. I have over 29 sets of these cams out there . and no known fitment issue on stock m-113 engines. Sunir's cams were just too much for his driving taste . That's is why I posted my Youtube stuff. This cams are a good deal for somebody who wants more top end HP. With a willingness to give up a little of that velvet smooth idle quality.
Hope this helps . this debate could go on for a long time and still not be the right stuff for some peoples taste, Hence the youtude vidoes
Cheers _PTengineering
Old 03-11-2011, 10:22 AM
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your Cars Tuner

Copied from your last post.

Thanks Pat for your thorough explanation. I am almost going to pull the trigger. My tuner told me the gains he has seen about 8rwhp although still hard to isolate based on the cars he tuned with with these cams.

How are the AFRs affected? engine longevity? Can the car actually stall or cut out at times? Will it really cause your coffee to spill if uncovered?

I pretty much know where most of the VRP / cams ended up & what cars they are on. My Quess your tuner has not worked on a Car with the VRP / PTE cams.
You should get your Hardware issues fixed first. Get your ongoing 4 year Car trama's out of the way . DC has taken on a Project that has had never ending problems. I'm sure they will help you get straightened out .and running Correctly! Please wait before installing this more aggressive grind Cam, They will compound your current issues.
Best of luck with your future endeavours. _PTEngineering
Old 03-11-2011, 01:22 PM
Banned

CLK430
Originally Posted by PTE
Copied from your last post.

I pretty much know where most of the VRP / cams ended up & what cars they are on. My Quess your tuner has not worked on a Car with the VRP / PTE cams.
You should get your Hardware issues fixed first. Get your ongoing 4 year Car trama's out of the way . DC has taken on a Project that has had never ending problems. I'm sure they will help you get straightened out .and running Correctly! Please wait before installing this more aggressive grind Cam, They will compound your current issues.
Best of luck with your future endeavours. _PTEngineering
If I have replaced my cams and springs with the 5.4L AMG versions of each, would I still need to install new springs again to install these cams?
Old 03-11-2011, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
@PTE

Do you have any dynograph information on these cams compared to stock on your CLK55? I'm interested in NA gains but also wondering how they would/could work with the Kleemann supercharger?
Old 03-11-2011, 03:09 PM
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Valve spring

Hey Ghost Rider:
If you put new mercedes Dual springs on . You are set to go!!

Kevwood:
I do not have any Dyno Charts for the VRP cams in a N/A motor. But I did sell ,C-55 asleep, a set of SLR cams & he saw & showed the before & after dyno . On The C-32 ? C-55 forums, They got him 11 RWHP. VRP cams Have more lift & open the intake valves sooner than the SLR cams. I can Only guess may 16 - 18 RWHP over stock cams with the VRP cams.
Cheers _PTEngineering
Old 03-11-2011, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
Originally Posted by PTE
Hey Ghost Rider:

Kevwood:
I do not have any Dyno Charts for the VRP cams in a N/A motor. But I did sell ,C-55 asleep, a set of SLR cams & he saw & showed the before & after dyno . On The C-32 ? C-55 forums, They got him 11 RWHP. VRP cams Have more lift & open the intake valves sooner than the SLR cams. I can Only guess may 16 - 18 RWHP over stock cams with the VRP cams.
Cheers _PTEngineering
Thanks for the reply/info! Those are very respectable gains for a set of cams in a NA motor.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Still available. Pat has all the information and has offered to support this sale since VRP/PTE cams are limited production and exclusive as far as performance parts go in this market.

please email me as sunirghosal@hotmail.com for purchase inquiries.

have a great weekend everyone!
Old 03-11-2011, 04:42 PM
Banned

CLK430
Originally Posted by PTE
Hey Ghost Rider:

Kevwood:
Cheers _PTEngineering
Hey Pat!! My the W208 engine didn't use the dual spring setup, but a high strength bee-hive type spring. Would this still work?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Camshaft questions