CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

2004 CLK55 Ipod Gateway Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 06:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
2004 CLK55 Ipod Gateway Thread

Started a new thread.
Just ordered my new Ipod Gateway from cartronics.

I'll post up a DIY with pics when I do the install.

Not sure how to know if I get to retain use of my 6 disc changer, but from other's experience I'll assume no.

Can't wait to go from a cd changer which randomly dies to my ipod for music quality / selection.

Item is in stock so hopefully get it next week from ATL>
More to follow after I rec'v this product.

Jeff

Last edited by betrezra; 09-29-2011 at 06:18 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:57 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
05 CL65 AMG, 07 Ferrari F430, 03 Range Rover HSE
You should be able to retain the changer as well!!! Depends on car software, but in 04 it is not a problem.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Sweet. I will prob bother you for some tech help once I get it here, and take my unit out to begin the install. I'll throw up some pics documenting the install. I plan to solder/heatshrink the connections (if any are required). I expect this to not be 100% plug-n-play install for the power/ground.

Also sourced a used mb ipod interface for my 07ML...for $100.... so I'll see how far I get with that contraption as well. Hopefully I don't need star to setup this up on either car.

THX>
Old 10-06-2011, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
I called cartronics on 9/29 and they advised it was in stock ready to ship.. paid same day...... any updates on my product?

Accounts recievable is working great..... not so sure about shipping dept

Help me out here. Read to get started.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:41 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

It shipped the next day the card cleared (some card companies hold the order from us for 24 business hours, if placed before 3PM EST. If after 3PM EST we may not see it sometimes for what amounts to another day and a half. Faster if orders are placed by phone, but not always as convenient.) This is a security measure cards are using as an excuse for the new law that went into effect for debit cards in September. It is really BS we think to have use of the money overnight. Anyway, You will probably have it tomorrow.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
No worries..... just being a squeaky wheel. Can't wait to install. Will hit you all up for tech help if I have any roadblocks. THX>
Old 10-07-2011, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
So look what arrived today in the Post!

My new cartronics.... her uhemmm..... (denison) Ipod gateway kit.

Here is what I got...... time to up on the installation of all the little wires and plugs.

Any tips/tricks from those who have pulled out the radio LMK>

MB radio newb.

enjoy the pics:

Old 10-07-2011, 03:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 CLK 55
I really need one of these. LMK how it goes.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Sure thing.

I plan to post an indepth photo-spread and write up of the install from a knuckle-draggin-engine builder perspective..... I.E. electronics neophyte!

No slang words, alogrithams, or software speak..... just good old bolt-in write-up.

Brought to you by your local MB cave-man enthusiast
Old 10-07-2011, 03:42 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Contrary to what the box says (they never made new boxes for us) that is a modified Dension Gateway Lite (iPod Gateway, not an IceLink). It includes the extra harness (not part of a normal Gateway Lite) and iPod/iPhone holder. The software is modified for us by Dension to give much greater compatibility across the D2B range. Our programmer provided some custom code. We also included the custom instructions as they differ from a regular Gateway Lite - SO USE THE ENCLOSED INSTRUCTIONS or you will have problems (don't download any from Dension - or it will never work).
If you have any questions at all, please give us a shout - we would love to see your install write up!
Old 10-07-2011, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Sounds good CT!

I appreciate the value in 'custom packaging" one product to make the end user more successful!

I really don't want to become an expert at coding, or hardware tweaks..... I just want to install a part and play my ipod

THanks again.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
Looking forward to your write up as I am interested in one of these too
Old 10-07-2011, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
OK so I had a little time to read thru the instructions and check out all the wires/hardware.

* Super easy installation.
* There will be 3 wires to splice into my stock MB harness (power, ground, signal). I'm thinking I'll solder/heatshrink these in vs just using those clips that may or may not keep contact.
* The optic connections are super simple snap connectors.
* With this box, you get USB port female in the G-box to plug in your little usb drive...... and you get the Ipod wire to hook up your IPOD to the G-box.
* IPOD goes on standby when car is off.... and this unit charges Ipod while in use.
* I looks like I get to control the ipod with my radio cd controls..... and You can also scroll thru music on the ipod unit it self.

Pretty cool

My biggest challenge right now is getting the stock radio and facia out without damaging anything. I believe I need to order a special MB radio removal tool but will do some searching here for that info.

More - to - come.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
Insert the two keys and the radio will slip right out. It's a 30 second job and the keys cost all of $5.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Perfect. Thx MarcusF.

Are these the correct keys?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VOLKSWAGEN-V...#ht_692wt_1165

Last edited by betrezra; 10-08-2011 at 05:12 AM.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
INSTALLED IT TONIGHT! Man this stereo system is pretty good. I'm blown away at how bad it used to sound with the factory 6 disc changer....... I have bass and dynamic response again! Amazing.

I did not take pics, but it was so easy I can list below the actual steps:

1. Disconnect battery.
2. Gently pull the shifter plate up at the front edges towards the ash tray, it pops up.
3. Pop out the center part of the shift plate. You can totally remove the shifter bezel and put it aside.
4. Pop out the ash tray assy ( there are two clips in the lower front). Super easy.
5. Unscrew 4 screws behind the ashtray below the radio facia.
6. Pull the radio facia off from the bottom, it is tabs on top.
7. Disconnect the ac/heater plugs on bottom, and the top switch plugs.
8. You do not need any special tools to remove the radio... just unscrew two screws, and pull it forward.
9. SO easy.

Gateway install:
1. I soldered in the 3 wire power harness. You solder (tap) into the stock stereo harness. I cut the stock wires to the stock harness, slipped on a heat shink, then soldered the old wires together with the new gateway wires.
* Wire 1 - hot,
* Wire 2 - ground,
* Wire 3 - signal,

2. Plug in the optic harness for you car (comes with kit).

3. Route the ipod cable through the existing hole to the 6 disc changer in glove box.

4. I tried to remove my 6 disc changer, since it is inop with this gatewate (my head unit will not run both) just one or the other. The optic system will not complete the circuit with my 6 disc changer removed. I wonder if I could get a simple dummy loop to plug in at the 6 disc changer harness to keep the system working? Anyway left the 6 disc changer installed and it all works.

I can control the ipod from my steering wheel, and scroll through songs on my radio unit, and also do the same on the ipod. It charges the ipod when key on too.

Also side bar...... there will be plenty of room to do my custom AFR install at the rear of the pocket below the radio.

Easy DIY, that will totally change the way your stereo sounds. I just thought MB had terrible stereos in 2004..... but this upgraded IPOD interface really shows off the capabilty of the stock stereo.

If anyone in Houston needs help with this, LMK, now that I've done one, I can help others.

Cheers, Jeff
Old 11-06-2011, 07:50 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by betrezra
INSTALLED IT TONIGHT! Man this stereo system is pretty good. I'm blown away at how bad it used to sound with the factory 6 disc changer....... I have bass and dynamic response again! Amazing.

I did not take pics, but it was so easy I can list below the actual steps:

1. Disconnect battery.
2. Gently pull the shifter plate up at the front edges towards the ash tray, it pops up.
3. Pop out the center part of the shift plate. You can totally remove the shifter bezel and put it aside.
4. Pop out the ash tray assy ( there are two clips in the lower front). Super easy.
5. Unscrew 4 screws behind the ashtray below the radio facia.
6. Pull the radio facia off from the bottom, it is tabs on top.
7. Disconnect the ac/heater plugs on bottom, and the top switch plugs.
8. You do not need any special tools to remove the radio... just unscrew two screws, and pull it forward.
9. SO easy.

Gateway install:
1. I soldered in the 3 wire power harness. You solder (tap) into the stock stereo harness. I cut the stock wires to the stock harness, slipped on a heat shink, then soldered the old wires together with the new gateway wires.
* Wire 1 - hot,
* Wire 2 - ground,
* Wire 3 - signal,

2. Plug in the optic harness for you car (comes with kit).

3. Route the ipod cable through the existing hole to the 6 disc changer in glove box.

4. I tried to remove my 6 disc changer, since it is inop with this gatewate (my head unit will not run both) just one or the other. The optic system will not complete the circuit with my 6 disc changer removed. I wonder if I could get a simple dummy loop to plug in at the 6 disc changer harness to keep the system working? Anyway left the 6 disc changer installed and it all works.

I can control the ipod from my steering wheel, and scroll through songs on my radio unit, and also do the same on the ipod. It charges the ipod when key on too.

Also side bar...... there will be plenty of room to do my custom AFR install at the rear of the pocket below the radio.

Easy DIY, that will totally change the way your stereo sounds. I just thought MB had terrible stereos in 2004..... but this upgraded IPOD interface really shows off the capabilty of the stock stereo.

If anyone in Houston needs help with this, LMK, now that I've done one, I can help others.

Cheers, Jeff
Thanks for the nice writeup Jeff.... glad you like it!!!! Thank you for your business. Yes, we have a loop connector you can get... give us a call and I will mail one to you.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Loop

Yeah, I need that loop connector so I can chuck that factory 6 disc changer.

The kit did include a loop connector, but it's a male and I need a female loop to connect to the 6 disc changer optic connector to simulate the 6 disc changer if that makes sense.

Jeff

Heading back to the garage to listen to this again... I can't believe it's the same car.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W209 55
Had this in my SLK along with the bluetooth version.. I was pretty happy with it
Old 11-06-2011, 08:52 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Yeah, the kit version is for cars with a different setup. Just give me a call and I will be happy to mail one to you.