CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Parrot Android HU?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 528i
Parrot Android HU?

Stumbled onto this, looks impressive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHarPoNRqGY

http://www.parrot.com/usa/products/b...arrot-asteroid

Based on my experience with Android tablets, I think I may go for the Parrot. I had been looking for a Becker unit with Bluetooth, but this looks like a way better value and actually suits the interior of the CLK55 stylishly. The Dension and other D2B options come up a little short of my requirements. Really not impressed with the JVC/Alpine units with the stupid video game neon graphic animations and junk.

Going to start documenting wiring/instal reqs. for the Parrot this Friday. Anyone try this unit yet in W208 chassis?
Old 12-25-2011, 05:56 PM

BMW 528i
Still have some wiring cleanup to do, but was essentially plug and play. Included harness is ISO, A Y connect/bridge and move a pin, and pretty much done, except for line-level adapter.

No CANBUS to steering wheel yet, but the Asteroid supports voice commands, GPS, and Internet via Bluetooth/dongle, and SD card slot in front, plus iPod integration. And at 1/2 the depth of other head units I've seen.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:20 PM

BMW 528i
To maintain a clean install, I ran the USB GPS pod cable into the glove box and nested it on the left side panel there. Ran the mic up above the drivers side visor, and the USB/iPod/Line in under the ashtray.

Gonna load some trax up on an SD card to try out next, but the bluetooth streaming works great, and with the line adapter, the sound quality and use of the oem subs works fine also.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:31 PM

Mercedes C Class W203
Pulling my hair out!!

Your set up looks great! I have just bought one of these to put in my W203 Merc C Class 2003 but for the life of me cannot fathom the wiring!!!

If anyone can help I would be most appreciative!

The ISO harnesses that I have taken out of my Audio 10 Merc stereo (i.e. the car's ISO harnesses that I need to attach to the new Parrot Asteroid) seem relatively straight forward. One is the speaker harness, which I will leave as is. The other is the power etc, which I need to connect to the Parrot ISO harness along with the speaker one.

The wires on my Merc harness are as follows, with what they most likely are according to this link :
Green/Black - Diagnostics?
Black - Antenna Supply
Yellow/Black - Mute
Red/Blue (thick) - +12 V Batt

Brown (thick) - Ground

There is also a 3rd ISO harness that was attached to the Audio 10 stereo; however I do not think it is required for the Parrot Asteroid so I will ignore it here unless someone thinks it is needed. There is no place for it to be attached to the Parrot ISO lead that came with the Asteroid.

So moving on to the Parrot Asteroid. This has the following potential attachments (excluding the speaker wires):

Battery+
Ground
Acc
Power Antenna
Telephone Mute

So it would seem quite straightforward but I don't seem to be able to get it going! Do you think it is because there is no Acc (Accessory) wire? If so, apparently there is an Acc wire connected to the cigarette lighter in these cars, as such perhaps I could tap into that (assume I would run a parallel wire from it to the stereo)?

Any thoughts/ideas greatly appreciated!
Old 11-17-2012, 04:18 PM

BMW 528i
There's some accessory wire jiggery required - I had to tap power off the cig lighter to provide ignition on signal. Basically, I printed pinout diagrams from my stock MB headunit and did a 1:1 compare to the ISO harness to sort out that all connections were good - only had to move one pin, and do the acc power tap. I kept the O/E amp and just ran a line level adapter.

The quality of Parrot's bluetooth streaming for music is the best I've heard so far, really nice integration - I hear they have the 2nd gen units coming out in time for Xmas this year.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:19 PM

Mercedes C Class W203
Sorted!

Thanks for the advice.

Although I don't have an amp like you, I connected it up "as is" and ran a new wire from the cigarette lighter cable (yellow/black) using these snap locks and a length of insulated yellow wire to the red acc wire on the Parrot ISO harness.

Everything works fine and the wiring is all hidden away. Just waiting for my fascia plate (ordered from here) to arrive and then can screw it all back down for good!

So far impressed by product but not tested all functions yet!
Old 05-27-2013, 10:56 AM

W203 C200 Kompressor
Originally Posted by brasso
Your set up looks great! I have just bought one of these to put in my W203 Merc C Class 2003 but for the life of me cannot fathom the wiring!!!

If anyone can help I would be most appreciative!

The ISO harnesses that I have taken out of my Audio 10 Merc stereo (i.e. the car's ISO harnesses that I need to attach to the new Parrot Asteroid) seem relatively straight forward. One is the speaker harness, which I will leave as is. The other is the power etc, which I need to connect to the Parrot ISO harness along with the speaker one.

The wires on my Merc harness are as follows, with what they most likely are according to this link :
Green/Black - Diagnostics?
Black - Antenna Supply
Yellow/Black - Mute
Red/Blue (thick) - +12 V Batt

Brown (thick) - Ground

There is also a 3rd ISO harness that was attached to the Audio 10 stereo; however I do not think it is required for the Parrot Asteroid so I will ignore it here unless someone thinks it is needed. There is no place for it to be attached to the Parrot ISO lead that came with the Asteroid.

So moving on to the Parrot Asteroid. This has the following potential attachments (excluding the speaker wires):

Battery+
Ground
Acc
Power Antenna
Telephone Mute

So it would seem quite straightforward but I don't seem to be able to get it going! Do you think it is because there is no Acc (Accessory) wire? If so, apparently there is an Acc wire connected to the cigarette lighter in these cars, as such perhaps I could tap into that (assume I would run a parallel wire from it to the stereo)?

Any thoughts/ideas greatly appreciated!
I am curious as to whether your problems with installation were ever resolved? I have a 2001 W203 and am looking for a HU to replace my OEM which is now dated. A few questions if I may?
1. Does the Parrot Classic fit in perfectly where the OEM HU was?
2. Can you control any functions via the steering wheel controls?
3. How is the sound output?

Please post some pictures of the post-instal? Curious to see how it all turned out
Old 05-27-2013, 10:52 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2001 MB CLK55 AMG [gone]
2001 CLK55 AMG

I would like to replace my HU as well and would be very interested to learn more.

Thank you in advance,
Brad