CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Megacrazy's Build Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 10:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 188 Posts
CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
Originally Posted by Josh.A.Hussey
This is exactly what I want to do. I just made a thread in the W204 forum about this earlier tonight (although I made it a little bit more on the infotainment side, because I wasn't sure how many people were comp savy around here, apparently... very very much so.. hahaha.) but this would be PERFECT for what I want to do...

I wish there was a DIY guide!! Hahahaha!

It's funny because I currently work in IoT at a computer company that develops software, but I'm not on the software development side, and it's so frustrating to know I'm in a building everyday with people who have the knowledge I need to do what I want but I myself don't.

What software do you run on Win10 for this?!

I can't wait to set this up...
I am trying it in my jeep resto project first and if I can get it going well enough, I will be throwing it in my C350 guarrenteed.

I am in awe of your ability.
You have done something truly astounding... I can only hope that I get to your level of competence in your work.

Also, what are the brands/type of HUD and FLIR you used?!

Thanks! Send me some PMs if you have specific questions. I contemplated making a DIY guide at some point but it's just too much stuff. It boils down to...you have to know what you're doing. Seeing how computer setups are going to be very different I doubt one can find something that works for everyone.

So took a little detour because somebody posted pics of some ambient lighting installed...so here's my take on it. They're RGB LEDs so they can change colors just like the "real" thing. You can set them up from a phone app via Bluetooth. I have them set up in 4 different zones so you can have different colors in the front/back/doors.

Keep in mind it's hard to take pics at night so things look slightly different in real life. Also, I was going for the indirect lighting approach...not the "hey here's an LED strip" approach. Daytime it looks absolutely stock. No LEDs or anything else are visible. The LEDs in the pics are at 25% brightness.

Center console and door trim, door pocket.

Rear seats

Bonus shot of my ricer light up AMG sign. This is connected via a 2nd hood switch I installed...so hood up--->ON.

Last edited by megacrazy; 07-25-2017 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sean's Sister--
like this thread
Old 07-25-2016, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 C230K SS (sold), 06 C55 (sold), 08 Yamaha R1 (sold), 16 X5M
Hey mega. Just got back from deployment and I love that you've kept busy! What LED set up did you use I want to do that in my C55.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:12 AM

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
2004 CLK55 AMG W209
Megacrazy, any info or hints and tips as to how to go about removing the control panel above the radio/dvd display screen? That panel with the heated seats and stuff?
I see you had yours out on page 6. Need to track down the cause of my heated seats not working but I think it could be faulty heating pads as all the other buttons function fine.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 169 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 GLK350 & 1992 190e sportline
Originally Posted by Khan 55
Megacrazy, any info or hints and tips as to how to go about removing the control panel above the radio/dvd display screen? That panel with the heated seats and stuff?
I see you had yours out on page 6. Need to track down the cause of my heated seats not working but I think it could be faulty heating pads as all the other buttons function fine.
99% of heated seats not working are from someone kneeling in the seat and breaking the pad.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
Hey maverik. I used RGB leds with some bluetooth controllers. The big part of the project is finding ways to diffuse the leds and find spots to make them fit in.

I used plexiglas (opaque) with LED strips attached to it to go for the indirect illumination look. You gotta remove panels, cut them etc. I snapped some pics of the center console and the doors...but not the rear panels. I always forget to take pics as I make stuff

LED door test (without trim installed)

Console LED test

As far as removing the UCP, I usually use trim removal tools to grab it on either side (left and right) and pull it straight out. It's a pain to remove most of the time. Check the wiring under the seat. Sometimes the cables fray/break. I had this issue with the passenger side. Cable simply ripped.

Last edited by megacrazy; 07-25-2017 at 01:38 PM.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sean's Sister--
where did you get the leds for the interior? same for the amg logo that lights up. How did you wire that as well?
Old 07-26-2016, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
Originally Posted by Alexbenz
where did you get the leds for the interior? same for the amg logo that lights up. How did you wire that as well?
Any led strip will do. There are plenty available on Amazon...eBay..etc. You can go with RGB so you can change colors...or just pick one color. The door LEDs are wired into the door controllers with resistors as well as 1 Bluetooth control module per door. The console and foot wells and rears are wired into the cigaretter lighter bulb. So basically when you turn your headlights on, the LEDs come on as well.

The AMG sign is made from an LED halo (angel eyes) and an actual AMG badge. It's wired to an extra hood switch (clk only has one)...so it turns on when you open the hood.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:29 AM

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
2004 CLK55 AMG W209
Thanks Insame. I didn't know how to test them prior to buying the car. Then I read the manual and pressed and pressed the button till I was blue in the face and eventually realised this heater element is old an probably toast but what you mention could be the bitter truth for me. Oh well had a look on the net yesterday at a site that sells them in the USA. Will see one day
Old 07-28-2016, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sean's Sister--
Originally Posted by megacrazy
Any led strip will do. There are plenty available on Amazon...eBay..etc. You can go with RGB so you can change colors...or just pick one color. The door LEDs are wired into the door controllers with resistors as well as 1 Bluetooth control module per door. The console and foot wells and rears are wired into the cigaretter lighter bulb. So basically when you turn your headlights on, the LEDs come on as well.

The AMG sign is made from an LED halo (angel eyes) and an actual AMG badge. It's wired to an extra hood switch (clk only has one)...so it turns on when you open the hood.
where did you place the hood switch? the extra one?
Old 07-29-2016, 05:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CLK240
I'm playing with this idea since the new S-Class was introduced. With the center console I thought of the same, but with the doors I thought of running the LED strip under the arm rest cause I like the metal door trim in mine.
Regardless of taste it's still looks like a nicely executed project. Keep up the great work!
Old 07-29-2016, 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
Originally Posted by GezaBMX
I'm playing with this idea since the new S-Class was introduced. With the center console I thought of the same, but with the doors I thought of running the LED strip under the arm rest cause I like the metal door trim in mine.
Regardless of taste it's still looks like a nicely executed project. Keep up the great work!
Thanks. The pics were from the making of the leds. The interior looks stock otherwise. You can't see any of the leds during daytime and all trim pieces are there. I'll take a daytime pic.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:24 AM

A3
Hope you can help ;)

Hello,

I wrote you beause of your thread: Megacrazy's Build Thread

I saw you HUD Display and many other very grat things you have build.

I have some questions and requess and i hope you answer / can help me

I start:

What Type / brand your HUD display is ? where i can find that or something similar ?

Is it roadeyes recpop ? or some other ? also are there any other because nowhere its in stock .

I saw you use Dashcommand: with very great skin can i get that skin from you i also can pay you something if needed.

I saw in current videos that you now have a great overlay with buttons and cpu etc at your windows 10. What is it and you maked that skin if so can i also get that from you ?
Is it rainmeter with customs skin or what ? you can give skin and software ?

Best is if you can write me all things you use at windows / your car pc software etc. as i also saw you have a good window siwtcher and you use the Spacenavigator mouse.

at my car pc i use centrafuse it a dopple / 2 din car pc selfmade with touchscreen 7" and steering wheel control etc.

I have a car pc in my car since 2014 and in old car i had since 2009. atm with win 8 but i upgrade it to then i think if i have enogh time now.

Also my girl friend and i gets our baby / boy this week atneed look if have then enogh time and money for all things i want make now.

I hope i not ask / request to much of you but i can also pay you something or what you want help you or things what you need !?!?
and i hope i not wrote to much

Regards from Austria
Old 08-15-2016, 06:50 AM

A3
Hello,

Why you not answer me ?

I only want some help.. i also pay you if you want.

I see you use rainmeter but i dont know how do get dashcommand transparent . i tryed now many things.

Regards
Old 08-15-2016, 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
Easy there buddy. I don't live on this forum. I check it every now and then.

I use rainmeter with dash command and other various things. The dash command skin and transparency for the GPS was all developed by me and they're not available. You can get the rainmeter skin online....well a similar one. I modded it so I can't distribute it as I'm not really the author.

The hud unit can be had through aliexpress...well similar ones.

There's a lot of scripting happening in the background to make everything work. You can't really transfer it to another machine and expect it to work. If you have specific questions shoot me a pm.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
Sooo....Time for another update....to this thread and to one of my projects.

First things first...cut the AC vent for the left side in half and design a 3D print a replacement....to make some room

Looking good...on the computer screen that is.

Then 3D print more brackets hmmm.

And even more...

Hmm the problem with some electronics is that they come without instructions...or a case

So design and...3D print cases...Oh yeah...wire the electronics and figure out how to code for them.

Don't forget to get a refill for you drink:

While you're waiting for the printer to do its thing...

Or are simply tired of dealing with this:

Hey...vent fits nicely.

Oh look the fans fit nicely on the brackets.

Now to make a hole in the dash. Weight savings.

Add a rotary controller, on/off button and a display to the headlight switch panel...because why not.

Then design and have somebody make your combiner...

There's a method to my madness

I may have skipped a couple of steps like...making a ridiculous amount of wire harnesses...or writing quite a *bit of code...or adding another fuse box to the car...or molding stuff to the dash with a special epoxy/putty.

I'll have pics/videos of it in action soon enough...if it all doesn't burst into flames first

Last edited by megacrazy; 07-25-2017 at 01:34 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by megacrazy:
GatorMB (12-24-2016), insame1 (12-06-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 09:34 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
05 CLK55 ///AMG
Amazing. Thanks for sharing your madness.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sean's Sister--
wow that's alot of crazy work. Above my pay grade for sure
Old 12-23-2016, 02:46 PM

2012 C63 (P31)/2006 CLK350 Coupe
Megacrazy,

I realize it's been about 2 years since you upgraded your brakes, but do you remember if your stock CLK55 rear rotors were solid or ventilated? I ask because I'm curious if there's a bolt on option to upgrade my stock CLK350 solid rear rotors to ventilated rotors without bumping up to the 4 pot AMG rear calipers and sending brake balance out the window.

I like how you're trying to integrate the HUD into the dash! Did you get a ticket for having an "obstructed view"? Haha!

Thanks man!
Old 01-25-2017, 05:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
My rears were solid. I think they all are? Maybe racing brake has something that's cross drilled. If not you could do a 2 piece rotor. I'm going to look into those soon.

​​​No no tickets haha. Just envious looks from the police at night while sitting at lights with the thermal camera on.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Haha man I've missed reading your posts man. Makes me want to get back into. Next up for me is the leds and custom HIDs as my driver side is turning colors and a bulb and ballast can't fix it. Just got my F1 style steering wheel done and got racing brake 2 piece for my fronts myself.
The following users liked this post:
kb24forlife24 (01-26-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
Originally Posted by maverik259
Haha man I've missed reading your posts man. Makes me want to get back into. Next up for me is the leds and custom HIDs as my driver side is turning colors and a bulb and ballast can't fix it. Just got my F1 style steering wheel done and got racing brake 2 piece for my fronts myself.
Nice. Got pics of the steering wheel? How are the racing brake rotors so far?

So I'm continuing my project...which is almost complete. Last thing I did was replace the front IR camera with a newer model that does pedestrian and animal detection and made a custom mount for it that's vibration proof and so on. I should have some pics/videos of the whole thing finished pretty soon.

I also cleaned up some things with the HUD and incorporated bigger speakers into it...which you can see on the left and right (silver things).

Last edited by megacrazy; 07-25-2017 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
So some more updates on this. Everything is done and it works...so yeah. Swapped out the head unit as well cause it was getting on my nerves.

Next on the list is 3D printing a custom box that'll house the night vision camera as well as the rain sensor...make it look cleaner. I'm also changing the IR illuminator that's in the bumper to something more powerful that has a range of 150M...and swapping the CF lip while I have the bumper off I ripped the hell out of it on the driveway

Completed HUD - the little extension on the side are "carbon fiber"..they look black in the pics

New head unit

Display for hud temprature/fan status/angle adjustment off

Display for hud temprature/fan status/angle adjustment on

Cabin view

Cabin view

Better view of rear LEDs

Better view of door LEDs - The cover the entire outer edge...you can't see them all at certain angles though. They also look like a continuous line in real life...you can't see the individual LEDs. I guess my phone over exposes pics.

Boot sequence

Shutdown sequence

Last edited by megacrazy; 07-25-2017 at 01:23 PM.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Looks good bro
Old 03-25-2017, 07:15 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
C55 AMG
Wow this thread is crazy... your build is impressive!!

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Megacrazy's Build Thread